PDA

View Full Version : Adamantine Statue

Yogibear41
2014-11-04, 12:06 AM
How much would an adamantine statue of an average sized human cost?

Sir Chuckles
2014-11-04, 12:19 AM
There's no per-pound price of the metal, so I think it would be entirely DM adjudication on this one.
Someone's likely to dredge up something in some strange sidebar somewhere, but it is not immediately apparent.

Forrestfire
2014-11-04, 12:32 AM
Adamantine is 100gp/pound, according to the Draconomicon. From there, you need to find the weight of a normal statue and figure out how it compares.

MesiDoomstalker
2014-11-04, 12:39 AM
Adamantine is 100gp/pound, according to the Draconomicon. From there, you need to find the weight of a normal statue and figure out how it compares.

Wouldn't you need the density of Adamantine for a comparison like this? Unless you just say fudge it, marble and Adamantine have the same density.

Jeff the Green
2014-11-04, 01:16 AM
Wouldn't you need the density of Adamantine for a comparison like this? Unless you just say fudge it, marble and Adamantine have the same density.

Adamantine weapons and armor don't weigh any more or less than normal weapons, so it's unlikely that it's significantly more or less dense than steel, which is 8 g/cm3. So a cube 5' on either side would cost around 500,000 GP.

Yogibear41
2014-11-04, 02:01 AM
A 5' human statue would probably be about 1/5th of that. No way I can afford that lol. Is there anything super cheap that has a high Hardness? (higher than iron/steels 10)

Jeff the Green
2014-11-04, 02:36 AM
Metal statues aren't usually solid. Most are made using the lost wax technique, which produces statues with a thickness of about 1/4". (Admittedly this is bronze, but I'm going to assume molten adamantine is of a similar viscosity.) The average surface area of a man is 1.9 m2, giving a volume of 12,000 cubic centimeters, which gives us a weight of 212 lb. or 42,500 GP. Given its strength, you might be able to shave that thickness down a bit if you can make the adamantine less viscous or use another technique. You could always electroplate (or use a similar method) the statue, I suppose, but I don't know whether that would be thick enough to actually give the statue the hardness of adamantine.

Tohsaka Rin
2014-11-04, 10:34 AM
Or just use Fabricate, and make the statue say, an eighth of an inch thick.

What? Adamantine is tough stuff, that should be more than thick enough for a hollow statue.

Chronos
2014-11-04, 10:41 AM
It's going to be more than just the cost of the metals. There's also the cost of the workmanship to turn the metal into a statue, and that's probably going to be more than it is for other materials. In our world, titanium isn't actually all that expensive by the pound, but things made out of titanium are, because it's hard to work with. The same is probably true of adamantine.

ArqArturo
2014-11-04, 11:22 AM
Or just use Fabricate, and make the statue say, an eighth of an inch thick.

What? Adamantine is tough stuff, that should be more than thick enough for a hollow statue.

And save a few trips to the Elemental Plane of earth, because I'm sure there's not much adamantine in the prime material plane.

Jeff the Green
2014-11-04, 11:51 AM
It's going to be more than just the cost of the metals. There's also the cost of the workmanship to turn the metal into a statue, and that's probably going to be more than it is for other materials. In our world, titanium isn't actually all that expensive by the pound, but things made out of titanium are, because it's hard to work with. The same is probably true of adamantine.

It can't be too much harder to work with than iron. An adamantine heavy shield costs ~230 GP/lb with the same 1:2 materials:labor ratio as the 11.3 GP/lb of a masterwork steel heavy shield. That's a difference of 500 GP for the labor involved.

Yogibear41
2014-11-04, 05:08 PM
Some one suggested I use a Adamantine Full Plate for what I need, and that will work nicely. Thanks for the help guys. :smallsmile:

sktarq
2014-11-04, 06:01 PM
In the Stronghold builder guide there is spell that doubles the hardness of a material. Use that on an Iron (or even bronze) statue and you have your ridiculously tough icon. Also besides a doorstop for the kind of 30m wide gates found in epic fiction why do you need a hard statue?

Fax Celestis
2014-11-04, 06:06 PM
A 5' human statue would probably be about 1/5th of that. No way I can afford that lol. Is there anything super cheap that has a high Hardness? (higher than iron/steels 10)

Masterwork + dwarvencraft?