PDA

View Full Version : Non-combat things to do Inside a Giant Sea Monster

NotScaryBats
2014-11-04, 01:45 PM
My PCs were swallowed by the Tanzer, an arbitrarily large sea monster. It can be as big as it needs to be.

Since the majority of my sessions are combats, I am wanting to run something that is ... not... combat. Unfortunately, I am drawing a blank...

Tanzer is being infected by Phages -- Far Realm viruses that are fighting its natural immune system

There is a pirate ship somewhere inside it.

But, I don't really know how to turn these ideas into engaging non-combat scenarios -- any ideas?

The game happens to be 8th level 4th edition D&D, but I figure the topic is inclusive enough to be non-specific to a game.

TheCountAlucard
2014-11-04, 02:03 PM
Both of these things sound relatively viable. Perhaps there are other living beings who were ingested and have managed to survive. Securing their aid in escaping (or being sought by them for the same reasons) isn't particularly likely to result in combat by either side.

Then again, maybe there are creatures inside that have "gone native" for some reason, or otherwise have reason to stay inside - perhaps they're after a treasure rumored to be inside the creature?

NotScaryBats
2014-11-04, 02:06 PM
There is rumored to be a magical treasure inside the beast, yes. So you're thinking something like social stuff inside the giant monster? That's pretty unexpected but I like it.

Sith_Happens
2014-11-04, 02:12 PM
The Phages sound very much like a "thing that needs killing," so you're out of luck on that angle.

Have them find an entire civilization made up of the descendants of other survivors.

(Un)Inspired
2014-11-04, 02:15 PM
Have your party meet up with their estranged father and his cat and goldfish.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-04, 03:03 PM
Re: Sith -- is there a non-combat way to exterminate something? That's kinda an angle I was trying to pursue, like having the PCs commune with Tanzer somehow and ally with its immune system to destroy the Far Realm invaders... ?

I think I'll run with the civilization of survivors angle, which settle into two camps -- one in a ruined pirate ship that want to escape the beast and probably kill it. They've recently found a powerful guardian beast that protects one of Tanzer's organs. They feel if they can get in and damage the thing, Tanzer will cough up the insides of its stomachs.

The other group of survivors want to commune with and understand the Tanzer, who are living in an organic village of bone and cartilage. They are led by a guru that thinks he's figured out what is making Tanzer plague the oceans -- the Phage. He wants to show the PCs to the cancerous tumor that births the Phage, hoping the PCs are strong enough to go in and destroy the heart of the invaders.

So, the next session can be meeting the two groups and deciding if they want to ally themselves with either. Does that sound... fun?

Milodiah
2014-11-04, 03:14 PM
Out of curiosity, how do the things swallowed by it find food and water? I'd imagine that setting up a literal second-line fishery would somewhat work, but I'm sure that the "normal people" food new "arrivals" bring with them is worth its weight in gold to the survivors.

NotScaryBats
2014-11-04, 03:19 PM
Hmmm... y'know I hadn't really considered that. Maybe they eat the muscle and drink the fluids of the Tanzer?

Milodiah
2014-11-04, 03:23 PM
Hmmm... y'know I hadn't really considered that. Maybe they eat the muscle and drink the fluids of the Tanzer?

Which would, of course, make them parasites as well :smallwink:

NotScaryBats
2014-11-04, 03:34 PM
Oh man you're right! The pirates that want out could be mutated by this, while the other group could be less disfigured because they cultivate shrooms on driftwood and stuff like that rather than straight up eat Tanzer.

Milodiah
2014-11-04, 03:50 PM
The more of it you eat, the more its immune system interprets you as a parasite and tries to kill you. Which would explain why the pirates want out a lot more than the other fellows.

Gavran
2014-11-04, 11:52 PM
Tell a story in song about how now you'll finally get your revenge (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Sw61oITuts)?

Okay I have nothing useful to contribute but I like the ideas so far and want to hear more. :x

Slipperychicken
2014-11-05, 10:45 AM
Tanzer is being infected by Phages -- Far Realm viruses that are fighting its natural immune system.

Cut up the phages and use their bits to synthesize a vaccine?

Urpriest
2014-11-05, 02:21 PM
Since it's 4e, non-combat means skill challenge!

Is anyone in your party trained in Heal? I could imagine a big medical skill challenge involving finding materials within the Tanzer to help it fight off the Phages.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-11-05, 04:00 PM
Where there are pirates there's buried treasure! And a map too!

Sartharina
2014-11-05, 04:22 PM
'fighting' the Phages could be less "RAW SMASH THE INTRUDERS!" and more "Support/Fortify the Tanzer's body to fight the phages" - Room for fetch quests, exploration, and environmental hazards/puzzles.

Some more complex internal systems may require busting out Robo Rally-style tactical gridmap rules without combat.

Brookshw
2014-11-05, 06:53 PM
Just remember to work starting a fire in there somewhere :smallwink:

Milodiah
2014-11-05, 06:56 PM

Don't forget the horrible 'heartburn' puns.

(Un)Inspired
2014-11-05, 07:35 PM

So the sea monster can sneeze the party out right?