PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Effective Spell level for Anyspell.

D4rkh0rus
2014-11-04, 10:28 PM
Is there any way (Other than sanctum spell shenanigans) to make a lvl 3 arcane spell, specifically, explosive rune and phantom steed, fit inside Anyspell?

How Would I go about it?

Conversely, Is it possible to scribe, inside a spellbook, a Sanctum spell'ed Phantom steed?

Basically, I can use sanctum spell, but cannot take it as a feat, but I stil want to be able to cast phantom steed without having to resort to greater anyspell.

Rubik
2014-11-04, 10:45 PM
If you Sanctum Spell Phantom Steed into a scroll, that scroll is now a scroll of a level 2 Phantom Steed. If you apply, say, the Forceful Spell feat (-1 spell level to any metamagicked spell, no lower boundary at 0 level adjustment), you can knock the Phantom Steed spell down by 1 for a 0 LA metamagic feat, such as Invisible Spell. And if you apply both Sanctum Spell and Forceful Spell, you get a level 1 spell in a scroll.

Which you can then write into your spellbook as a spell of that level.

Deox
2014-11-05, 03:35 AM
Forceful Spell feat (-1 spell level to any metamagicked spell, no lower boundary at 0 level adjustment)

Minor nitpick:

The correct feat is Forceful Magic; Forceful Spell is a +1 metamagic that adds a fortitude save rider or be knocked prone and stunned.

AnonymousPepper
2014-11-05, 06:27 AM
Last time I looked, Sanctum Spell flat-out does not allow the spell to go below its original level.

However, Forceful Magic will, provided you have Dragon Mag access and a +0 metamagic feat (Invisible Spell for example) or a +1 metamagic like Extend plus Arcane Thesis.

Necroticplague
2014-11-05, 07:51 AM
Last time I looked, Sanctum Spell flat-out does not allow the spell to go below its original level.

Huh?Are we even reading the same feat? It pretty explicitely says that it makes it a lower spell level, kinda like the opposite of Heighten. Still uses up the same spell slot, but is a lower level.

A sanctum spell has an effective spell level one level higher than normal if cast in your sanctum (see Special, below)--but if not cast in the sanctum, it has an effective spell level one level lower than normal. All effects dependent on spell level (such as save DCs or the ability to penetrate a minor globe of invulnerability) are calculated according to the adjusted level. A sanctum spell uses a spell slot of the spell's normal level, modified by any other metamagic feats.

D4rkh0rus
2014-11-05, 09:03 AM
OBJECTION!! (to everyone in this thread who suggested Sanctum Spell.)

Wizards and Divine Spellcasters
Wizards and divine spellcasters must prepare their spells in advance. During preparation, the character chooses which spells to prepare with metamagic feats (and thus which ones take up higher-level spell slots than normal).

To make a sanctum spell'd Phantom steed, I need to prepare it, I don't have phantom steed in my list, I have anyspell.

A sanctum spell has an effective spell level one level higher than normal if cast in your sanctum (see Special, below)--but if not cast in the sanctum, it has an effective spell level one level lower than normal. All effects dependent on spell level (such as save DCs or the ability to penetrate a minor globe of invulnerability) are calculated according to the adjusted level. A sanctum spell uses a spell slot of the spell's normal level, modified by any other metamagic feats.

So, how do I apply a spell to Anyspell while "casting" said spell. heck, I mean, If i can just you know, prepare the phantom steed with sanctum spell, why don't I just cast it. oh yea, because I can't. I don't have phantom steed in my spell-list.

I need to cast a sanctum spell'd spell to gain the benefit of the -1 level, which means that unless I'm a sorcerer, I cant chain it inside another spell.

So with that out of the way, what other methods which don't require me to actually have the phantom steed spell in my known spells list are there?

Rubik
2014-11-05, 09:24 AM
OBJECTION!! (to everyone in this thread who suggested Sanctum Spell.)

To make a sanctum spell'd Phantom steed, I need to prepare it, I don't have phantom steed in my list, I have anyspell....which allows you to prepare Phantom Steed, yes.

So, how do I apply a spell to Anyspell while "casting" said spell. heck, I mean, If i can just you know, prepare the phantom steed with sanctum spell, why don't I just cast it. oh yea, because I can't. I don't have phantom steed in my spell-list.See above.

I need to cast a sanctum spell'd spell to gain the benefit of the -1 level, which means that unless I'm a sorcerer, I cant chain it inside another spell.Sanctum Spell + Forceful Spell'd Anyspell to prepare a Sanctum Spell + Forceful Spell'd Phantom Steed.

Not that difficult.

So with that out of the way, what other methods which don't require me to actually have the phantom steed spell in my known spells list are there?See above.

Or just prepare a version of Phantom Steed which has been scroll'd or spellbook'd using the feats above.