PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite puzzle encounters

Deremir
2014-11-04, 11:18 PM
so what are your favorite puzzle encounters?, what was most fun for you and/or your party? Which was the most dificult? You get the idea.

For me this would have to be the time the party I was in encountered a fountain of electric eels, but the fountain had no water. So instead of pouring water into the fountain (beçause adding water would have caused the ells to electrocute themselves) like our DM had expected, we used the canvas from a tent to funnel the eels into a jury riged incinerator. Our reward was a sack of coins.

valadil
2014-11-05, 10:09 AM
The party has received or intercepted an important letter. A well known method for doing the invisible ink trick is to write in lemon juice and then heat the paper. But the sender was mildly dyslexic and used melon juice rather than lemon. Part one of the puzzle is to figure out how to extract the text. Once extracted, it makes no sense and the party needs to decipher it. As I said before, the sender was dyslexic so it's just a jumble, but if the players don't know that they'll try all sorts of cipher breaking shenanigans. I like this one because it uses the same clue in two different ways.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-05, 10:12 AM
I had a party of low level wizards attempt to figure out how to remove a giant 200lb block of cheese from a cellar without releasing the swarm of rats hidden in a sinkhole under the cheese. It was a strange adventure.

DigoDragon
2014-11-05, 11:40 AM
I was going to tell the tale of the Knock-Knock Door, but you said non-combat and the party turned this puzzle into combat with a door. XD

braveheart
2014-11-05, 12:14 PM
I was going to tell the tale of the Knock-Knock Door, but you said non-combat and the party turned this puzzle into combat with a door. XD

"I attack the gazebo"

Deremir
2014-11-06, 12:17 AM

Digo we always want to hear your stories, your basically the comic relief for the whole playground :smallbiggrin:

DigoDragon
2014-11-06, 08:33 AM
Digo we always want to hear your stories, your basically the comic relief for the whole playground :smallbiggrin:

Here's a YouTube Narration (http://youtu.be/ahJYd3KVdbg?t=5m21s) of it. :D

And text version~
It was a trap door that had a giant door knocker and a sign that said to knock twice. You do so and the door's magic mouth responds with "Who's There?"

It was an obvious set up for the PCs to make a lame knock-knock joke, and indeed making such a joke would unlock the door. Failure to make the joke allowed the door's two "eyes" to strike you with ray spells.

Not one PC dared to make a knock-knock joke! D:

It didn't even have to be a good one. As long as there was an attempt at humor, the door would open. But no, they instead used brute force against the door, getting blasted with spells the entire time (eventually they disable both eyes, but by then all the PCs were down to single digit HP and the cleric was out of healing spells). They began damaging the door to force it open, but stopped because they didn't want to damage their weapons attacking a masterwork iron door (no one in the party had blunt weapons at the time and they were all 12th level).

They gave up and went another path. :(
And this is the same group that habitually makes jokes on anything. When I revealed how the door could easily be opened, they kicked themselves. Hard.