PDA

View Full Version : Sloooooooooooow.........moootion.

Samurai General
2007-03-21, 03:36 PM
Anything seem wrong with slow motion?

Hwi Yaaaa!!!! Snap I shoulden't have gone for slow motion....(0.04 MPH)
5 hours later.....
Wa- i'm going so slow i'm going BACKWARDS!?!?!?!?!Thats not supposed to happin!?!?

Thiel
2007-03-21, 05:28 PM
You'll have to be a little bit more specific.

Anyway, slow motion can be utilised to great effect if used at the right moments. The Matrix comes to mind.

Dhavaer
2007-03-21, 06:22 PM
I think The Matrix went a little overboard with the Bullet Time, personally. It makes it hard to get a feel for what's really happening. I prefer it to change from Bullet Time to realtime and back as the fight goes on, so the slowmo is only used at critical moments.

Samurai General
2007-03-21, 06:42 PM
I agree. But having it like, every 5 minutes gets really annoying.If that happend, Neo's life would be that every time the waiter dropped a plate it would be triggered.:smallconfused: But in action scenes, like in the Matrix with the 2 trucks crashing, it is necessary.:smallwink:

FdL
2007-03-21, 06:53 PM
What is this thread about/for?

Sneak
2007-03-21, 08:28 PM
What is this thread about/for?

Hmm, well, I'm getting a pretty 'slow motion'-y vibe from it, but I'm not so sure. Check back later. :P

I think slow motion is bad when overused, but it can be a great technique to dramatize a scene. For example, in the Matrix or in the famous The Usual Suspects scene in which the coffee mug is dropped.

Eladrinstar
2007-03-21, 11:45 PM
I only like slow motion when things are going really fast and it would be too hard to see and follow otherwise.

averagejoe
2007-03-22, 01:41 AM
I think The Matrix went a little overboard with the Bullet Time, personally. It makes it hard to get a feel for what's really happening. I prefer it to change from Bullet Time to realtime and back as the fight goes on, so the slowmo is only used at critical moments.

Wait, which Matrix are we talking about? The good one or the ones that didn't exist? Because the first one only used it, like, three or four times, and once was in the beginning to give that "something wierd is going on" vibe to the film. That really doesn't seem overboard to me.

Druid
2007-03-22, 01:52 AM
Slow motion usually doesn't bother me in action films, but is annoying when overused. What I really can't stand is how during the action scenes a lot of movies switch the camera around ever half a second making it impossible to tell what's going on. It doesn't make the action more XTREME!!1!11!!!1!shift1 or what ever the hell they're going for, it's just annoying.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-03-22, 02:32 AM
Slow motion is like Sephiroth or Drizzt. It was cool, or at least tolerable when it was new, but all the copycats since have completely killed the idea.

Including the non-existant Matrix sequels.

SDF
2007-03-22, 02:56 AM
I liked Reloaded... magic katana and bad cg Smith fight aside. Cheesy slowmo can ruin a movie, and good use of it can add a bit of flavor. All depends on how it is done.

Thiel
2007-03-22, 03:01 AM
Wait, which Matrix are we talking about? The good one or the ones that didn't exist? Because the first one only used it, like, three or four times, and once was in the beginning to give that "something wierd is going on" vibe to the film. That really doesn't seem overboard to me.
There is only one The Matrix, there will be no sequels

Dhavaer
2007-03-22, 04:05 AM
Wait, which Matrix are we talking about? The good one or the ones that didn't exist? Because the first one only used it, like, three or four times, and once was in the beginning to give that "something wierd is going on" vibe to the film. That really doesn't seem overboard to me. The one that exists. I don't mean that it used it in too many scenes, I mean it used it too much in those scenes.

averagejoe
2007-03-22, 11:38 AM
Wait, do you mean slow motion? Because you said bullet time. Which lasted, like, ten seconds per use.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-22, 11:53 AM

Technically Bullet time refers to the moving camera angles not the slow motion itself...

Damn film studies classes... Does make you wonder what would happen if they did bullet time really quickly rather than in slow mo. Probably nothing exciting.

6 million dollar man. That is the one true slow mo show.