PDA

View Full Version : The Bloody Esbat

Philemonite
2014-11-05, 01:50 PM
The return to the HQ only serves to confuse you even more. Instead of having five people who know what is going on and don't want to tell you, there are now seven. Adding the strange person(?) and the events of the last mission you are beyond confused, and ready for some for some real information. Or at least you are hoping for it. But the whispering and the tension thick enough that it can be cut with a knife don't really make you confident. One thing that strikes you as strange is how aggressive your instructors look, because in your experience, the instructors never fight among themselves, and the two new girls only make you worry more.

Xhosant
2014-11-05, 02:29 PM
Soga arrived with the rest of his team. The newcomers drew his attention immediately, but the tension derailed it soon after.

Apparently, 'bloody esbat' stood for 'crisis' among other things, and though he had gotten used to those by now, there was disagreement on whis one sent the instructors' collective judgement for a loop.

He decided to wait, and watch.

banthesun
2014-11-06, 12:29 AM
Kyoko followed the group in, and looked curiously at the new girls. She didn't recognise either of them, so she sidled over to where the Rescue Team was waiting to try and figure out who they were.

"Hey," she wispered, "are those two from your mission?"

Philemonite
2014-11-07, 03:10 PM
As the tension starts to rise, the voices start to get louder, and soon turn into an argument. As the sparks start flying around the room you realize that this is not an ordinary argument. You can't really define it, but you can feel something is different.
"You can not do this, we do not have enough information, this is not a correct course of action." Alexander's otherwise expressionless face starts to show some signs of annoyance. "The last thing we need now is more people who don't know what is going on."
"That is exactly why we need others, we need information. We need help." Benjamin's eyes sparkled with determination, causing Alexander to flinch. "There is no other option." In spite of the words that were coming from his mouth, there was no sign of depression in his voice, only determination.
"Benjamin, sweaty, I know this can't be easy, but this is not the right choice." Alexandra's voice was strange, you aren't sure if it is real empathy, or if she is just that good at faking.
"This has nothing to do with it, Alexandra. You may not want to admit it, but we need help, because this is big. They are back, and we need to deal with them." Jessica's tone was sharp, but there was no aggression in her voice. Like the other instructors, she was simply doing her job.

Mokou-tan
2014-11-07, 04:01 PM
Tsubaki reaches into her bag and pulls out a sucker. "Don't think they are, Kyoko." She lets out a sigh as she pops the candy into her mouth. "Having too few people is a problem. Having too many is also a problem. If it's about information, people who don't know anything aren't of use. If it's about combat strength, you don't need to know much to fight." The little warrior held her messenger bag open towards Kyoko, implying she can take whatever from the contents. By the looks of the inside, Tsubaki had packed enough supplies to last a day or two in the other world along with things like her suckers.

Xhosant
2014-11-07, 07:38 PM
They can't decide on whether to respond to the Bloody Esbat protocol or not...

Soga spoke up, although his 'up' in this case meant 'likely inaudible by anyone it was addressed to'.

"If I may, I don't see a downside to getting more aboard. It's either pointless or a win, not a loose."

Kioku
2014-11-07, 11:18 PM
'Asami' stands back from the situation in the nearest corner, silently observing while projecting a regal aura. Her more calculating than usual demeanor and the faint glow that seems to pervade her are telling that this certainly isn't the Asami that's been in the dorm the last couple of weeks, but the greatest clue for anyone who saw her in battle is the fact that she doesn't seem to be suffering any side effects from what just happened on the other side of the door. Finally she speaks up. "The best way to avoid having more people that don't know what is going on," she says in a lilting voice, "is to simply keep everyone informed. You'll have the additional people you need for whatever is going on, and avoid 'Xander's complaint."

A Rainy Knight
2014-11-07, 11:58 PM
Miyuki slinks around to Tsubaki's side, and half-hides herself behind the little warrior. She says nothing, but nods when Soga and Asami speak.

banthesun
2014-11-08, 07:40 AM
"Thanks, Tsubaki." Kyoko reached to accept a lolly, more out of friendliness than any particular want, but stopped when the instructors started raising their voices.

She glanced between them, taking in the scene. The room had a sort of energy that made Kyoko want to hide. It seemed Miyuki was already taking that option, and seeing her taking cover behind Tsubaki made Kyoko fell the need to put on a strong face. She looked straight at the instructors, but couldn't muster the courage to speak up like Asami had. Even if she could, she still wasn't sure what to say.

Penguinator
2014-11-10, 12:17 AM
Last through the portal, Dorian stood at the back of the room, surveying his surroundings. Somehow, there seemed to be less people around than had entered the portals. Something to ask about at some other time.

In the back of his mind, he heard Alexandra call Benjamin "Sweaty" and made a mental note to tell him about the new deodorant brand he had discovered.

Mokou-tan
2014-11-10, 01:42 AM
Tsubaki turns her face to Miyuki and gives her a gentle smile. "Don't worry, they're just having a disagreement. It won't likely come to anything bad. And if it does, just stay right behind me." While Tsubaki was whispering to Miyuki, she made sure she was just loud enough for Kyoko to hear her too, figuring that she wasn't quite comfortable with the situation before her.

Philemonite
2014-11-10, 11:43 AM
"If I may, I don't see a downside to getting more aboard. It's either pointless or a win, not a loose."

"Of course you don't, you are Jessica's golden boy, and you support her opinion. Plus, you have a very bad case of tunnel vision. What you don't know is how much damage this would do to the others. We chose to stay, they left. They had a reason to do it. If we call them now they would have to pick between the reason they left and their duty. We have to think about them too. Not to mention what this would do to the chain of command. I don't know if you like having four people ordering you around, Jarod doesn't count because he is insignificant, but how would you feel about tripling that number? Shall I continue to list the reasons, or do you realize that the decision is not really that simple?"
A slight frown covered Jessica's face, but an observant eye could see a smile in her eyes, and even Benjamin was surprised by this.

"The best way to avoid having more people that don't know what is going on," she says in a lilting voice, "is to simply keep everyone informed. You'll have the additional people you need for whatever is going on, and avoid 'Xander's complaint."

The nickname that Asami used gave him the chills, but Alexander decided not to be aggressive, that would serve no purpose. "Under normal circumstances that would be the optimal course of action. However, as Alexandra pointed out, there are other factors to consider. It is not a simple decision. And please refer to me as Alexander or Commander Summers. Alex, for my friends."

Xhosant
2014-11-10, 02:53 PM
Soga didn't like his opinion belittled like that, and his blood pumped as he was about to answer back. But it hadn't occurred to him that it boiled down to personal burdens, not tactics, and he couldn't but admit a strong point.

"Fine," he said eventually, admitting defeat, "find an excuse to get in touch or something. Their burdens come second to apocalypse, but anything sort of that we can handle..."

Mokou-tan
2014-11-10, 03:51 PM
Tsubaki lets out a sigh. "If they had a reason for leaving, don't drag them back in. Let them continue on with their lives as they do now. It's not right to force someone to choose between something important to them and a duty like this." Her tone wasn't as forceful as it normally was, being careful not to sound aggressive. "Anything that comes, I'll hold off long enough for you to get a plan going."

banthesun
2014-11-11, 01:43 AM
Kyoko heard Tsubaki's whisper and felt Tsubaki glance in her direction. Kyoko looked over at her, then turned back to the group. She squared her shoulders, and lightly clenched her fists, suddenly feeling determined to appear confident too. But as she listened to the conversation, her thoughts were anything but.

There were people who left the group? I didn't realise we even had a choice in this. Not that I can really leave them now though, even if I am no good at fighting...

When Tsubaki spoke up, Kyoko nodded her support. She felt bad getting pulled into the argument, but felt that she had to keep backing Tsubaki up on this one.

Kioku
2014-11-11, 03:31 AM
'Asami' smirks, letting that cold, piercing gaze sweep through the room before pushing herself away from the wall. "I'll be sure to pass that along to myself then. We are, after all, always interested in making new friends." She glides forward to stand behind Tsubaki and those next to her, resting a hand each on Kyoko and Miyuki's near shoulders. Is she taller than usual? Must just be a trick of the light. Asami makes a small nod of agreement at Tsubaki's words.

Philemonite
2014-11-13, 11:54 AM
"Fine," he said eventually, admitting defeat, "find an excuse to get in touch or something. Their burdens come second to apocalypse, but anything sort of that we can handle..."

"Too complicated and unnecessary. The protocol was created to summon inactive members. We can't trick them into coming back, it is their choice."

Tsubaki lets out a sigh. "If they had a reason for leaving, don't drag them back in. Let them continue on with their lives as they do now. It's not right to force someone to choose between something important to them and a duty like this." Her tone wasn't as forceful as it normally was, being careful not to sound aggressive. "Anything that comes, I'll hold off long enough for you to get a plan going."

"Unfortunately, that is not an option. They don't even have a choice, if we call they will answer. You are the only ones that can choose their destiny, ours is already set. As my mother used to say, it is easy to be a hero in a crisis, you just choose to do the right thing, instead of running away. So we do the right thing, that's what we were taught to do."

"As melancholic as Benjamin makes it sound, it is true. So let's finish this shall we? We already know Benjamin and Jessica are in and my brother and I are against it. And since that's the reason two of you came here it all comes down to Jarod. So what do you say, are you going to be the fifth voice?"

"I'll be sure to pass that along to myself then. We are, after all, always interested in making new friends."

"Never say no to a friend. When you do what we do you don't really get many friends.:smallwink:"

Xhosant
2014-11-13, 12:23 PM
"Too complicated and unnecessary. The protocol was created to summon inactive members. We can't trick them into coming back, it is their choice."

"No, no", rughed Soga to explain, "I don't propose we trick them. I propose we keep them out of this but in arm's reach, so we can nudge them if we get no choice."

"If what I heard was accurate, their calm lives will be doomed either way, at that point..."

Mono Vertigo
2014-11-15, 08:08 AM
Knowledge is power, and Lenora feels pretty weak right now.
Unacceptable!
"How about you stop treating us like little kids", says the bespectacled girl, "And you finally provide us the information we need to do our duty properly? We're shoved in seemingly-random directions, flailing in the dark, hoping that's enough to kill monsters. Rinse, repeat. No wonder people left."
There's the implied threat that she'll do the same if she doesn't get her way, but the truth is she enjoys her raw power too much for that; a power that doesn't come from family or money, but the strength of her spirit.
"You have to help us help you, before considering forcing quitters back among us."

Philemonite
2014-11-19, 05:56 AM
"As much as you protest Alexandra, I see no valid reason not to call the others. Now that "they" are back we need all the help we can get. But don't worry, we won't let anyone take your position."

"No, no", rughed Soga to explain, "I don't propose we trick them. I propose we keep them out of this but in arm's reach, so we can nudge them if we get no choice."

"If what I heard was accurate, their calm lives will be doomed either way, at that point..."

"Their calm lives were just an illusion, it will never be real. Once you join you are member for life. Unless you were given a choice, like you guys."

Knowledge is power, and Lenora feels pretty weak right now.
Unacceptable!
"How about you stop treating us like little kids", says the bespectacled girl, "And you finally provide us the information we need to do our duty properly? We're shoved in seemingly-random directions, flailing in the dark, hoping that's enough to kill monsters. Rinse, repeat. No wonder people left."
There's the implied threat that she'll do the same if she doesn't get her way, but the truth is she enjoys her raw power too much for that; a power that doesn't come from family or money, but the strength of her spirit.
"You have to help us help you, before considering forcing quitters back among us."

"So, the little princess has some backbone? That is quite a surprise."

"Alex that's enough! You want to know what is going on? Fine, but don't blame us if you are not ready to know the truth. Blue Moon Project has existed for generation. The true origin has been lost to the past, but the purpose remains the same, use the power of your "other self" to protect our world from outside forces. Since the very beginning it was a family business, we are all decedents from the original members. You are the first outsiders allowed to join, because you were chosen by Philemon himself.
But that is not important right now. What is important are those three figures you had the pleasure of meeting. But, to explain what they represent we need to look into the past. It happened about 15 years ago, the Blue Moon Project first discovered the Velvet Door. I will spare you all the speculations, because they were inconclusive, but the world beyond the door was clearly connected to Philemon. Some believe that it was created by him, but we are still unable to confirm that. The exploration of Velvet World was very successful, until the group run into an unusual opposition. Human opposition. Their motives were never revealed, but one of their goals was to release the Shadow population into our world. Fortunately, every Velvet Door is coded, so they couldn't open them and let the Shadows out. So, for couple of years they tried to hinder our progress. They didn't pose a serious threat, until the incident that happened 12 years ago. Somehow, they manage to infiltrate out base and gain access to our Door, releasing the Shadows into our world. With the combined efforts of our predecessors, they managed to stop them. But not without a price. We... lost three members during the battle, including the head of the project. Most of you are outsiders, but if you ask any local they will tell you about the "gas explosion". Anyway, after that professor Setros took control and moved the HQ here, as a safety precaution. After the incident the terrorists disappeared, and they were never seen again. Until now."

Xhosant
2014-11-20, 06:36 PM
Soga shook his head. That was a lot to take in, and a sudden change from the old 'scraps of info' policy.

He'd have to thank Lenora.

So there were 2 deaths back during the invasion, in addition to Benji's mother. Was she the head of the team? Quite likely, since her husband took over.

But the biggest twist? The invation's masterminds -their arch nemeses- were human. He always thought of the enemy as a faceless cosmic force, like the shadows. A hive mind, an emperor-god, maybe just physics (in whatever Velvet flavor they came) leading the shadows. But humans? This felt odd. Weird, even heinous. Who would seek to do that, and why?

A grin formed on his face, uncharacteristically fierce of him, if out of sight. Horrible as the truth was, the thought that his enemies were simply human was a relief. No matter how strong they were, he could conceivably become their equal.

"Are they persona-users, or do they draw power elsehow?" A negative on both was a non-possibility. "Do they rely solely on subterfuge, or are they strong? Have you fought them? And do we know if those 3 are all of them?"

That should be all. He half-doubted there wasn't more to the enemy, but it was pleasant that they took shape, at last.

Mono Vertigo
2014-11-21, 12:31 PM
Lenora takes it all stoically. You be careful what you wish for, and when you get exactly what you requested, you accept it all, and you do not ever regret receiving too much too fast. And most of all, you never, never reveal the surprise about the power you own, about the magnitude of the changes you've managed to bring, about the success you get when you expected another setback.
That's how business works.
Would dad be proud?

Enough time passes for her mind to process each element before she nods very quietly in satisfaction and reflection, and replies very seriously: "Let us consider the power Shadows possess, and the defenselessness of most people. If that door should be opened again, and we - the front line - gets overwhelmed before we can close it back, the future of Japan, and possibly the rest of humanity, would be compromised. Is that right?"
That was a surprisingly easy statement to make. There's an apocalypse at hand, they're the only ones standing between it and the world as they know it. Doesn't sound that real, when you think about it.

Philemonite
2014-11-21, 03:06 PM
"Are they persona-users, or do they draw power elsehow?" A negative on both was a non-possibility. "Do they rely solely on subterfuge, or are they strong? Have you fought them? And do we know if those 3 are all of them?"

"Unfortunately, we don't have enough information to work with. We do know that it is extremely unlikely that Philemon would grant them a persona. However, that doesn't exclude some kind of variation, provided by a sufficiently powerful entity.
We never had the pleasure of facing them. At least most of us. We do have some estimate of their power, but nothing solid. Same goes for their numbers. There is not much information to be had. Since they have been quite for about 12 years, there's not really much to work with. Except for her tracking device." She points at one of the newcomers. "That should be pretty helpful."
"Indeed." The girl answers. "As long as it is not found."

"Let us consider the power Shadows possess, and the defenselessness of most people. If that door should be opened again, and we - the front line - gets overwhelmed before we can close it back, the future of Japan, and possibly the rest of humanity, would be compromised. Is that right?"

"That is mostly correct. However, the act of opening the gate is not enough for a widespread Shadow invasion. The Shadows need to do the actual invasion. And for that to happen they need to gather and pass through the door together. A stray Shadow can not do much damage. Insanely high concentration of Persona Users in the academy and it's surroundings can easily deal with that. Even if they are newly awakened, they can still deal with those lesser threats. Organisation is the real threat."

Xhosant
2014-11-21, 03:11 PM
"That is mostly correct. However, the act of opening the gate is not enough for a widespread Shadow invasion. The Shadows need to do the actual invasion. And for that to happen they need to gather and pass through the door together. A stray Shadow can not do much damage. Insanely high concentration of Persona Users in the academy and it's surroundings can easily deal with that. Even if they are newly awakened, they can still deal with those lesser threats. Organisation is the real threat."

"And there is, no doubt, someone capable of organizing them, correct? Can we strike against them?"

Philemonite
2014-11-21, 03:13 PM
"And there is, no doubt, someone capable of organizing them, correct? Can we strike against them?"

"Not unless we identify them first. And that's a problem."

Mono Vertigo
2014-11-22, 06:19 AM
"Who would be crazy enough to organize Shadows and plan so much destruction, and why?", asks Lenora, before replying to her own question: "If you look hard enough, it's not in fact that difficult to find people ready to plan catastrophes of that kind if they had the right tools. Not everybody believes in humanity and love."
Not that she really did either, but at least she wasn't running around planning apocalypses. Besides, quoting a great philosopher she doesn't know but whose ideals she already respects, "the Earth is where I keep all my stuff". This basic fact alone, applicable to everyone, tells a lot about the sheer insanity or evil of the culprits.
"We have to track down every single one of these guys and drag them back here, dead or alive, obviously. And find out who or what empowered them."
That Philemon sounds like the kind of person who believes in good, or who is at least a decent judge of character, on top of being the one responsible for empowering people with Persona. Why would he have chosen somebody like her, of all people? Surely there are more teens out there who believe in love and hope, and have the inner strength to act.
Then there's Levi and the proof that no system is foolproof...

Philemonite
2014-11-29, 12:52 PM
"Who would be crazy enough to organize Shadows and plan so much destruction, and why?", asks Lenora, before replying to her own question: "If you look hard enough, it's not in fact that difficult to find people ready to plan catastrophes of that kind if they had the right tools. Not everybody believes in humanity and love."

"Indeed. Not everyone is a ray of sunshine, like Benjamin. Breathing is a privilege, and some people don't deserve it."

"We have to track down every single one of these guys and drag them back here, dead or alive, obviously. And find out who or what empowered them."

"That's what we are planing. They will be punished. We will make sure they are."

After a light knock the door (the one that lead to the stairs up, not the Velvet Door) opens and a man in his twenties enters the room. You don't recognize him, but there is something about him that looks familiar. Probably the look in his eyes, but there might be more. But you are not the only one who is surprised, and the the first one to react is Jessica.
"Jonathan!"
In that one simple word a careful observation can read excitement and surprise, neither of them fitting with what you know about her. Keen eye would also notice how the twins are analyzing the newcomer, as if they were wondering why is he here. However, Benjamin wasted no time.
"Ladies and gentlemen, I would like you to meet the pride and joy of our little team, Captain Jonathan Walker."
"Actually, it's Major now, I just got promoted. It is very nice to meet you all. I heard... nothing about you. I consider that as a good thing, since you haven't done anything that requires my attention."

Xhosant
2014-11-29, 08:23 PM
Major? That means he's got a high rank in the outer organisation. He's probably the one that provides for this wee little branch.

Soga gave an odd motion, sort of a loose salute. Nothing too serious, but it seemed fitting. He was, after all, a Ranker here off-duty.

banthesun
2014-12-14, 10:48 AM
When the man was introduced as a major, Kyoko was caught off guard. She felt like she had to show respect and bow to someone with such an important position, but out of the corner of her eye she caught sight of Soga saluting instead.

Argh! That's right, that's what you're supposed to do for a soldier!

Caught up in a hurry not to seem rude, Kyoko got confused, starting to both bow and salute at the same time, and ending up just smacking herself in the face as she mixed up the actions.

"Ah! Sorry!"

Mono Vertigo
2014-12-14, 03:43 PM
Not really impressed, Lenora nonetheless has to notice the increasing (okay, from one to two) number of salutes. She repeats their gesture, half-heartedly, rolling her eyes. During this brief instant, she becomes the archetype of the bored teenager.
Come on, we're not really soldiers, there's nothing that official about that Shadow hunting business, I don't care about majors or colonels or lieutenants, let's just skip to the important parts.

Philemonite
2014-12-16, 07:21 AM
As amused as he was by (mostly unsuccessful) salute attempts, Jonathan just gave them a slight nod. After all, he didn't want to discourage them.
"You guys really barricaded yourselves, I had to make a personal appearance."
"Major Walker, I am sorry to say..."
"Stop. I am not here to pry in your business. And you can drop the formalities, this is a personal visit, and I bring information. An attacks is going to take place in your neighborhood, and I think it's best to let you handle it. If you follow the local happenings you probably know about the big party that's going to happen tomorrow evening. We have a reason to believe that there is a Door in the basement. A door that some people plan to open. I can put a few names on the list, but that won't be enough. We need to insert a few operatives to into the kitchen. That's the quickest way to the basement. And we need a few free agents, to secure the perimeter. Anyway, I was never here, and you didn't get this from me."
Jonathan procures a rather large folder, places it at the table and starts to walk away.
"I booked my usual room, if you want to see me. And Benjamin, I'll be home for diner, if I am invited."
"Of course." Benjamin answers with a slight nod.

Kioku
2014-12-16, 10:21 AM
"So soon?" 'Asami' straightens, having been just listening before and very much not caring about rank or formality. We have to deal with these people until 'we' make it back to reality? *sniffle* ...Worry not. She seems fairly annoyed by all the salutes going on, feeling as though it's very much unwarranted, especially done by people who aren't military. 'Asami' waits until Jonathan leaves before speaking up again. "So. Another operation tomorrow." She scowls. "If outer-me had time to recover, I'd say we were a good pick for the kitchen team, if that one needs to get in quietly. Or to secure an actual invitation, for that matter. But as things are... you'd best keep her away from people for a little while. Perimeter at best."

Xhosant
2014-12-17, 08:09 PM
Soga thought for a moment. His earlier lust for resolution was coalescing, given a path to it at hand.

"Benjamin, sir. What do you know of the party? Where and why is it happening?", he asked, as he begun formulating his thoughts on the imminent mission.

Philemonite
2014-12-18, 12:47 PM
"So soon?"

"The enemy is not really giving us time to relax. We'll just have to kick them a little harder because of it."

"So. Another operation tomorrow." She scowls. "If outer-me had time to recover, I'd say we were a good pick for the kitchen team, if that one needs to get in quietly. Or to secure an actual invitation, for that matter. But as things are... you'd best keep her away from people for a little while. Perimeter at best."

"I think your talents are best used on the outside, to control the situation. I've seen how well you can do it."

"Benjamin, sir. What do you know of the party? Where and why is it happening?"

"I am really not the best person to ask, I don't follow politics, and I have no personal connection. All I can tell you that the manor is pretty isolated, and the party is organized by an ambassador. Lot's of important people at one place, not a bad target, from a tactical point of view."

Xhosant
2014-12-18, 03:49 PM
"Ambassador? I don't suppose we can start a diplomatic incident by Persona warfare, but that doesn't bode well, does it?"

Philemonite
2014-12-18, 03:55 PM
"Ambassador? I don't suppose we can start a diplomatic incident by Persona warfare, but that doesn't bode well, does it?"

"Any incident is bad news, persona or not. That makes the mission harder, we need to stop them, and make sure nobody knows what's going on. That's why we need you all to work together."