PDA

View Full Version : Ever seen Dr.Stranglove??

Samurai General
2007-03-21, 06:53 PM
Isn't it funny????

"He will see the big board!!!":smallbiggrin:

Erloas
2007-03-21, 07:15 PM
I thought it was a great movie.
However considering it is about 40 years old I would expect any discussion of it at this point would have some sort of direction to it.

When I watched it in a film class in college the instructor had said how the ending was switched around and they should have had the last bits of dialog before the bombs instead of after. I'm amazed someone teaching a class on film could have missed the point that badly. Discussing plans to save yourself before the end of the world is nothing, but to still be discussing it after the bombs have already started hitting the ground is something else entirely.

Khantalas
2007-03-21, 07:18 PM
"I do not avoid women... but I do deny them my essence."

Strange thing is, Slim Pickens wasn't told that the movie was gonna be a black comedy, and acted as if it were a war drama. That makes it even more hilarious.

Eldritch Knight
2007-03-21, 07:23 PM
Oh heck yes. One of my favorite movies.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-03-21, 07:51 PM
Utterly brilliant. I haven't seen it in years, but it's in my Netflix queue!

Evil_Pacifist
2007-03-21, 08:37 PM
Hee-Hee! I love this movie.

Strange thing is, Slim Pickens wasn't told that the movie was gonna be a black comedy, and acted as if it were a war drama. That makes it even more hilarious.

Really? That is quite awesome.

Lord of the Helms
2007-03-21, 09:36 PM
It's so incredibly controverse even by todays standards, I cannot believe how it must have been back in the 60s. Brilliant movie on every level.

My favorite is either "Peace is our Profession", or the lesson on how to get Commies, Nazis and US Militarists to agree on one thing.

Well okay, or "You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

Alex Kidd
2007-03-22, 05:27 AM
Anyone who hasn't seen it should be forced to. Seriously.

The end oh man, Slim riding the bomb is probably one of the most iconic images in cinema, it just gets blazed into your brain.

The whole thing while one of the funniest movies ever; was pretty rocking, can't imagine the effect it would have had when burning nuclear armageddon was a daily fear.

Om
2007-03-22, 07:52 AM
My favorite is either "Peace is our Profession"That is actually the real life motto of US Strategic Air Command.

Joran
2007-03-22, 01:37 PM
An absolutely brilliant film. I do think it needs to have some context, otherwise it wouldn't nearly be as funny. I was lucky enough to have seen it with in a class, where we discussed everything about the movie, from homosexuality to the insanity of Mutually Assured Destruction.

My girlfriend however fell asleep during it ;)

P.S. The whole point of the doomsday machine is lost...if you keep it a secret! Why didn't you tell the world, eh?!

Om
2007-03-22, 02:10 PM
P.S. The whole point of the doomsday machine is lost...if you keep it a secret! Why didn't you tell the world, eh?!It was to be announced at the Party Congress on Monday. As you know, the Premier loves surprises.

My fav quote of the film :smallcool:

Lord of the Helms
2007-03-22, 04:48 PM
The Premier is a man of the people. But he is also - a man.

:smallbiggrin:

That is actually the real life motto of US Strategic Air Command.

:smalleek:

...I don't know if that should make me laugh or cry.

However, I did also mean the context it was put into in the movie. Specifically, the scenes of all the soldiers fighting, with this sign in the background. AMAZING.

JadedDM
2007-03-22, 06:03 PM
What are you people? Some kind of pre-verts?

CockroachTeaParty
2007-03-22, 06:18 PM
Easily one of the greatest movies of all time. More movies should be in black and white, I think.

J_Muller
2007-03-22, 06:39 PM
"Okay, but if this doesn't work, do you know what's going to happen?"

"What?"

"You're going to have to answer to the Coca-Cola Company."

Axl_Rose
2007-03-22, 06:52 PM
No, but I hear good things. Probably sometime in the near future I will though.

Jorkens
2007-03-22, 09:13 PM
"You can't fight in here - this is the War Room!"

Hunter_Rose
2007-03-23, 09:45 AM
The end oh man, Slim riding the bomb is probably one of the most iconic images in cinema, it just gets blazed into your brain.

I heard that Slim Pickins came up with that idea and then bounced it off of Stanly. Stanly Kubrick thought it was a great idea and went on to film the most iconic image to sum up the cold war.

"Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff."

Muz
2007-03-23, 03:17 PM
When I watched it in a film class in college the instructor had said how the ending was switched around and they should have had the last bits of dialog before the bombs instead of after. I'm amazed someone teaching a class on film could have missed the point that badly. Discussing plans to save yourself before the end of the world is nothing, but to still be discussing it after the bombs have already started hitting the ground is something else entirely.

Really? I could've sworn (though it's been a few years) that the movie ended with all the bombs going off, with the music played over the shot of all the nukes hitting.

Om
2007-03-23, 04:04 PM
For anyone interested: the best ending to a film. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxrWz9XVvls) Ever.

Erloas
2007-03-23, 04:18 PM
Really? I could've sworn (though it's been a few years) that the movie ended with all the bombs going off, with the music played over the shot of all the nukes hitting.

I was trying to remember exactly myself. I remember the converstation I had as a result of the ending fairly clearly though. Thanks to Om's link to the ending I remembered what it was.

The teacher had said they should have had the end shot of the War room, then shown Kong drop on the bomb (and subsequent detonation) then shown the bomb montage of the ending representing the doomsday device going off. As it goes now it shows the first bomb dropped by/with Kong explode, cuts to the final War Room scene and then goes to the ending bombs.

Muz
2007-03-23, 04:42 PM
Ohhhhh, okay. That sounds about right. (I can't watch the YouTube link from where I am right now.)

And you're right, the instructor's an idiot. :smallsmile:

TinSoldier
2007-03-23, 07:39 PM
Oh, yeah. I love this movie!

You know, I played the computer game "Nuclear War" (based off of the card game of the same name) before I had seen the movie. The opening credits of the game have a scene exactly like Slim Pickens riding the bomb down...

I've got it recorded on VHS. In order to keep my precious bodily fluids pure, I have to watch it from time to time.

Pensive Pine
2007-03-23, 09:01 PM
I liked the movie, and I thought there were some amusing bits, but I wouldn't call it the number one comedy of all time or anything (I think it was the AFI that voted it such). Still, I loved the whole "calling the president from a payphone" scene, and when the president called the Soviet Premier.
"Why do you think I'm calling you? Just to say hello?... *Of course* I like to speak to you!... *Of course* I like to say hello!"

sktarq
2007-03-26, 06:35 PM
Ahhh...How I Learned to Love the Bomb

One of my favorite movies....
Particularly when the Premire is Drunk.

Fat Daddy
2007-03-26, 06:40 PM
Great Movie!! I haven't seen it in years but I still love the 'mineshaft gap' dialogue.

The Prince of Cats
2007-03-27, 03:56 AM
I remember that I got the film in a Kubrick boxed-set with a few others and I left this and Barry Lyndon until the end, since I was not sure I was that interested.

Then I watched Dr. Strangelove... Okay, 2001 was an amazing film, Clockwork Orange was controversial, but this film was a masterpiece of comedy from a man I only really knew for his serious work.

And now I understand why Russians drink only vodka...

Haruspex
2007-03-28, 04:43 AM
I thought it was an unusually funny and clever film. I particularly like the telephone conversations.

Teal Kuinshi
2007-03-28, 11:38 AM
His hand...

I think his hand was the funniest part.

Khantalas
2007-03-28, 05:17 PM
The hand still thought it was a Nazi's hand. Stupid hand.

ZebulonCrispi
2007-03-29, 01:03 PM
Back in high school, when I was a drama geek, I performed a monologue from this movie for an audition.
"Now then, Dmitri, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the Bomb. The bomb, Dmitri. The Hydrogen bomb..."
I ended up getting the part of the Wizard of Oz out of that one.

Miklus
2007-03-29, 02:06 PM
Isn't it funny????

It's da bomb! :smallbiggrin:

One of my favorite movies ever! I like that kind of humour.

I like how the brave and self-sacrificing crew on the B-52 fight against all odds to complete the mission, completely unaware that they are about to destroy the world...

I've heard that the USAF freaked out because no one was supposed to know that much about the inside of a B-52.

I got it on DVD...Heck, I'm gonna see it right now!

sktarq
2007-03-31, 03:50 PM
I've heard that the USAF freaked out because no one was supposed to know that much about the inside of a B-52.

They have a habit of that....They went ballistic when the Hunt for Red October was first published....They thought they had a high level leaker.

J_Muller
2007-03-31, 04:38 PM

Yeah, it turns out they designed the B-52 sets based on the interior of a B-29 and exterior shots of the B-52, and they got it pretty accurately. Kubrick was actually afraid that the set designers had done illegal research.

InsertNameHere
2007-03-31, 09:28 PM
I particularly liked the part with the flight crew's equipment: "One combination Holy Bible and Russian phrasebook, [some number] packs of chewing gum, one standard-issue prophylactics..."
That unleased a guffaw!

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-04-07, 08:54 AM
I finally just saw it a month ago; in the wee hours of the morning I thought it was some cheesy old war film, since I started watching just after the title. And it was simply amazing. SO many good lines!

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-04-22, 12:18 PM
I watched it a couple of weeks ago in conjunction with Fail-Safe for my American History through Film Class. One of my professors mentioned that at some point during the ending in the War Room there was supposed to be a pie-fight, during which the President was hit in the face and the ambassador quips "Our young president has taken one!" :smallconfused: It was cut from the film since it was released around the time of Kennedy's assassination.

Pensive Pine
2007-04-22, 07:54 PM
According to Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, the pie scene was cut because the actors weren't told to play it straight, and had too much fun with it. There wasn't enough time and/or money to reshoot it, so they had to leave it out.

Archpaladin Zousha
2007-04-22, 09:33 PM
Really? Interesting. I'll have to let my professors know that tommorow.

Koga
2007-04-26, 06:00 PM
Never seen it, but The Koga has friends who have and they compare him to Dr. Strangelove. Is it cause he has an infatuation with nazis? lol...

Penguinsushi
2007-04-26, 07:27 PM
According to Uncle John's Bathroom Reader, the pie scene was cut because the actors weren't told to play it straight, and had too much fun with it. There wasn't enough time and/or money to reshoot it, so they had to leave it out.

I had heard that, but wasn't sure if it was entirely true. Anyone know if the footage still exists? Any hope that it might appear as an extra on a dvd at some point? That would be awesome...

~PS

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-04-26, 07:49 PM
I love this movie. So much that I own it. Peter Sellers is absolutely fantastic. Come to think of it, it is in fact the only Kubrik film that I actually like. (in it's entirety. I do like the Full Metal Jacket until the go to Vietnam).

Now let's all stop worrying and love the bomb, ok.

TheOtherMC
2007-05-22, 06:44 PM
"Mien Fuhrer! I can walk!!!! *BOOM*"

LOVE IT! BEST ENDING!

Reptilus
2007-05-22, 07:26 PM
Best movie to have a medical condition (ridiculously, I might add) named for it; the Anarchic Hand of Dr. Strangelove Syndrome.
Getting that disease would be totally worth it.

Nota Biene
2007-05-24, 12:31 AM
Best movie to have a medical condition (ridiculously, I might add) named for it; the Anarchic Hand of Dr. Strangelove Syndrome.
Getting that disease would be totally worth it.

Really? His Anarchic Hand was pretty inconvenient... also, what's your source on the name of this disease? Its totally awesome, but it sounds just to good to be true.:tongue:

Fascisticide
2007-05-25, 03:02 PM
One of my favorite movies. And an great source of inspiration for the D&D (in fact, Munchkin) game I am currently running, which is in great part a parody of real world politics.

As the PCs report to the Amperor that orc terrorists are building a button of mass destruction : Mr Amperor, we cannot allow a button gap!

BlackStaticWolf
2007-05-31, 12:25 PM
I reckon a man just wouldn't be human if he didn't have some strong personal feelings about nuclear combat.

Telonius
2007-05-31, 12:41 PM
Regarding the hand ... the "Mad scientist with gloved hand" image was taken from "Metropolis (http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s78metro.html)," a 1920s-era German film.