PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Help me decide a PrC for a Domain Wizard

Baalzebub
2014-11-05, 04:57 PM
Hey guys.

So, next week I'm playing a Domain Wizard (Transmutation Domain) and I'm undecided on which PrC should I pick. If I pick a PrC at all.

It's gonna be a level 6 party, I wanna make the Wizard an all-purpose Wizard, hence I'm making it a Generalist and my DM gave me the "ok" when I explained him what a Domain Wizard is.

The archmage seems like an obvious choice, but I don't know if I should pick a PrC in the meantime. Any ideas? :smallfrown:

darksolitaire
2014-11-05, 05:47 PM
Incantatrix is always solid. Mindbender dip for telepathy is great, but might be too strong and eats up lots of skill points. Divine Oracle gets defensive abilities in exchange of skill focus. Mage of Arcane Order get to access spell pool, but that initiation fee isn't trivial at low levels. These four would be my top picks, with Incantatrix being best.

Keld Denar
2014-11-05, 10:19 PM
You're a wizard Harry!

You can PrC, but a Wizard20 is still a Wizard20. You won't be too poorly build. Its kinda nice not having to spend half of your feats on prereq feats like you have to for Iot7V or Archmage. You can instead spend them on fun things like metamagic or crafting feats. Its fine. You are a domain wizard, so you are already on the higher end of the optimization curve, even for wizards.

Baalzebub
2014-11-05, 10:57 PM
Incantatrix is always solid. Mindbender dip for telepathy is great, but might be too strong and eats up lots of skill points. Divine Oracle gets defensive abilities in exchange of skill focus. Mage of Arcane Order get to access spell pool, but that initiation fee isn't trivial at low levels. These four would be my top picks, with Incantatrix being best.

Incantatrix sounds nice, I'm not sure if the DM will allow classes from Faerun books. I'll consider Mindbender for the Telepathy, that is always useful.

You're a wizard Harry!

You can PrC, but a Wizard20 is still a Wizard20. You won't be too poorly build. Its kinda nice not having to spend half of your feats on prereq feats like you have to for Iot7V or Archmage. You can instead spend them on fun things like metamagic or crafting feats. Its fine. You are a domain wizard, so you are already on the higher end of the optimization curve, even for wizards.

Yeah, that is a good option too, but I want to give it more flavor... but yeah, you're right, I'm already a Domain Wizard, there's not much else that I can ask for :smallsmile: