PDA

View Full Version : A weapon for a Spellcaster [3.5]

Bad Wolf
2014-11-05, 08:39 PM
So my Shadowcaster//Sorcerer is about to level up, and he's picking up Ruathar next level. I get a free Martial Proficiency (I'm going Rapier, unless I'm missing a better choice) and a gift. I already have a Cloak of Elvenkind, so I'll most likely get a rapier. What are the best enhancements for one?

heavyfuel
2014-11-05, 08:45 PM
Lucerne Hammer from Dragon Compendium is great if you ever plan on Coup de Grass someone. It's a reach weapon that deals 2d4 x4.

Osiris
2014-11-05, 09:00 PM
It depends on how much money you have:
You'll obviously need a +1 bonus for enhancements,
Warning (+5 init for +1 property) is great,
Defending obviously is another great buy,
Spell-strike, if not planning to use the weapon for attacks, shores up your defenses more,
Eager (more initiative and small bonuses) also doesn't hurt.

This all assumes you don't plan to actually attack with the rapier. To be honest, when you have spells you really shouldn't be, but that's your choice.

If you ARE attacking with it, Sudden Stunning and Greater Dispelling are fantastic; the former is better on some weapon with reach to make it even better though.

Bad Wolf
2014-11-06, 12:19 AM
It depends on how much money you have:
You'll obviously need a +1 bonus for enhancements,
Warning (+5 init for +1 property) is great,
Defending obviously is another great buy,
Spell-strike, if not planning to use the weapon for attacks, shores up your defenses more,
Eager (more initiative and small bonuses) also doesn't hurt.

This all assumes you don't plan to actually attack with the rapier. To be honest, when you have spells you really shouldn't be, but that's your choice.

If you ARE attacking with it, Sudden Stunning and Greater Dispelling are fantastic; the former is better on some weapon with reach to make it even better though.

Yeah, I am attacking with it. I've munchkined my way into getting an AC of 25, so I'll be well protected. And that's before I apply greater Mage Armor, so...yeah.

I was originally planning on Bloodstone, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea for a caster or not...

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-11-06, 06:49 AM
What are your stats/feats?

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-06, 09:43 AM
Rauthar grants a basic +1 weapon. A +1 weapon is a good choice to get for free as it can be rather expensive and you get it right as you get Prof. You will have to enchant it yourself to make it better.

Good ideas
- Defending - Adds defense bonus when you add greater magic weapon to it
- Bloodstone is great, but also consider a Lesser crystal of Life Drinking. You heal 3 hp when you hit an enemy in combat, 30hp a day. Nice as you can replace it when you hit the 30 hp cap and it stacks with rather than competes for enhancement bonus, and it's cheap, 1500gp.

I also like to carry the appropriate DR bypassing crystals in case you find yourself facing those threats.
Demolition crystal, lesser - Bypasses DR/Ad, bonus damage vs constructs
Fiendslayer crystal, lesser - Bypasses DR/good, bonus vs evil outsiders
Truedeath crystal, lesser - Ghosttouch, bonus vs undead
12000 gp for the lot, but really handy when you need to attack undead, constructs or demons.

A +1 spellstoring Bloodstone weapon is likely as good as it gets. Pick up a +1 mitheral light shield with +1 defending smoking warning eager shield spikes as your secondary weapon (no need for prof, just passive bonuses here)

Bad Wolf
2014-11-06, 11:12 AM
Rauthar grants a basic +1 weapon. A +1 weapon is a good choice to get for free as it can be rather expensive and you get it right as you get Prof. You will have to enchant it yourself to make it better.

Good ideas
- Defending - Adds defense bonus when you add greater magic weapon to it
- Bloodstone is great, but also consider a Lesser crystal of Life Drinking. You heal 3 hp when you hit an enemy in combat, 30hp a day. Nice as you can replace it when you hit the 30 hp cap and it stacks with rather than competes for enhancement bonus, and it's cheap, 1500gp.

I also like to carry the appropriate DR bypassing crystals in case you find yourself facing those threats.
Demolition crystal, lesser - Bypasses DR/Ad, bonus damage vs constructs
Fiendslayer crystal, lesser - Bypasses DR/good, bonus vs evil outsiders
Truedeath crystal, lesser - Ghosttouch, bonus vs undead
12000 gp for the lot, but really handy when you need to attack undead, constructs or demons.

A +1 spellstoring Bloodstone weapon is likely as good as it gets. Pick up a +1 mitheral light shield with +1 defending smoking warning eager shield spikes as your secondary weapon (no need for prof, just passive bonuses here)

Ah, crystals. Never really understood them, I'll take another look though. I was originally thinking of a Vampiric Bloodfeeding Bloodstone Rapier, but I think that may be a little redundant.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-06, 11:26 AM
Crystals are basically added enhancements that can be changed around easily without changing base weapon or it's permanent enhancements. They also stack with anything the weapon does.

Least crystals can be applied to a masterwork weapon
Lesser crystals can be applied to a +1 weapon
Greater crystals can be applied to a +3 weapon

Now, they stack with whatever your weapon normally does, and are interchangeable, so they are great for really specific things, ie bypassing DR or such. This leaves you the normal enhancements for more general abilities like spellstoring.

Bad Wolf
2014-11-06, 07:21 PM
Crystals are basically added enhancements that can be changed around easily without changing base weapon or it's permanent enhancements. They also stack with anything the weapon does.

Least crystals can be applied to a masterwork weapon
Lesser crystals can be applied to a +1 weapon
Greater crystals can be applied to a +3 weapon

Now, they stack with whatever your weapon normally does, and are interchangeable, so they are great for really specific things, ie bypassing DR or such. This leaves you the normal enhancements for more general abilities like spellstoring.

Yeah, I looked, but thanks anyways.

So does anyone else have any recommendations before I make my final descision (apology if this sounds snobbish)?