PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Force Golem

gr8artist
2014-11-06, 01:03 AM
This is my concept for a golem or elemental comprised entirely of force effects, like miniature walls of force molded to fit like full-plate. The creature would be something created by a green lantern ring (http://th00.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/259/9/1/beware_my_power__green_lantern_s_light__by_grivitt-d6mj6sk.jpg), for example, tangible but easily dispersed or reconfigured.

Force Golem

A force golem stands roughly 8 to 10 feet tall, and appears as a transparent, floating suit of full-plate. Rather than being solid, the surface of the golem seems to be comprised of dancing, shifting fibers and ribbons of pure energy.
Suddenly, the creature explodes apart into a tangled mess of vectors and moving curves, scrambling and destroying everything in its path before re-asserting its form as a translucent towering construct.

Force Golem CR 8
XP 4800
N Large construct
Init +5; Senses darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision; Perception +0

Defenses

AC 20, touch 20, flatfooted 19; (+1 Dexterity, –1 size, +10 deflection)
hp 90 (11d10+30); DR 5/—
Fort +3, Ref +4, Will +3
Defensive Abilities amorphous (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Amorphous-Ex-), kinetic absorption; Immune construct traits (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Construct-Traits-Ex-), force effects; SR 20 (10, +10 kinetic absorption)
Weakness vulnerability to disintegrate

Offenses

Speed 40 ft.
Melee 2 Slams +15 (1d6+5)
Space 10 ft.; Reach 10 ft.
Special Attacks inertial charge (slam, 2d6+10)
Spell-like Abilities CL 11th, concentration +11
The force golem must spend points from its kinetic energy pool to use its spell-like abilities.
1+ point – magic missile (1 point per missile, maximum 5)
2 points – floating disc, force punch
4 points – battering blast, kinetic reverberation
6 points – resilient sphere, wall of force

Statistics

Str —, Dex 12, Con —, Int —, Wis 10, Cha 10
Base Atk +11; CMB +17; CMD 28
Feats Improved Bull Rush B, Improved Initiative B, Improved Overrun B
Skills —
Languages —
Special Qualities deconstruction

Special Abilities

Amorphous (Ex): A force golem has no weaknesses in its design or frame, and is little more than planes and vectors of force assigned a unifying purpose. It is immune to precision damage (such as sneak attack) and critical hits.

Kinetic Absorption (Su): A force golem absorbs and retains kinetic energy with which it comes into contact, treating this energy as a pool of points it can spend to use other attacks and abilities. The force golem's base pool amount is 20, though it may have any number of points in its pool at any given time (but never less than 0). Each day, the force golem's energy pool stabilizes; it loses 1 point from the pool if it has more than 20 points, or it gains 1 point if it had less than 20.
A force golem has an effective Strength score equal to the number of points in its kinetic energy pool. The golem's statistics listed above are calculated for an effective Strength modifier of +5.
A force golem also receives defensive benefits from its kinetic energy pool. It gains a deflection bonus to AC and an increase to its Spell Resistance equal to half the number of points in its kinetic energy pool. The golem's defenses listed above are calculated for a kinetic energy pool of 20 points.
When a weapon attack misses the golem as a result of its AC (not due to concealment or other miss chance), the golem gains a number of kinetic energy points equal to 1 + the number of dice of damage the weapon deals, excluding bonus dice such as sneak attack or magical weapon properties. When a spell fails to overcome the golem's Spell Resistance, the golem gains a number of kinetic energy points equal to 1 + the level of the spell that was used against it.
A force golem is also immune to damage from force effects, such as magic missile (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/magic-missile), and adds 1 point to its kinetic energy pool for every 3 damage such an effect would deal. It may also spend 2 points from its kinetic energy pool as a free action to move or attack through a wall of force (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wall-of-force) or similar effect for one round, as though the barrier were not there.

A force golem absorbs and retains kinetic energy with which it comes into contact, treating this energy as a pool of points which it can spend to use other attacks and abilities. The force golem's average pool amount is 20; any excess or deficit to this amount is reduced by 1 after each day of inactivity or normal activity in the golem's lifespan. If it has more than 20 points in its kinetic energy pool, it loses 1 point per day; if it has less, then it gains one point each day, to a maximum of 20. A force golem's kinetic energy pool has no maximum value, and cannot be reduced to less than 1 through any means.
A force golem has an effective Strength score equal to the number of points in its kinetic energy pool. The golem's statistics show the average Stength value it possesses, 20, but for every 2 points it gains or loses, its effective Strength modifier is increased or decreased by 1. This affects the force golem's melee attack and damage rolls, CMB, CMD, and Strength based skill checks, as well as the DC of its deconstructed form's whirlwind ability.
A force golem also receives a deflection bonus to AC and a bonus to its Spell Resistance equal to half the number of points in its kinetic energy pool. For every 2 points the golem gains above 20, both values increase by 1; for every 2 points it falls below 20, both values are reduced by 1, to a minimum AC and Spell Resistance of 10.
When an attack misses the golem because of its AC bonus, the force golem absorbs the redirected energy, adding a number of kinetic energy points to its pool equal to the Strength bonus of the attacking creature (minimum 1). When a spell fails to overcome the Spell Resistance of the force golem, it absorbs that magical energy, adding a number of kinetic energy points to its pool equal to the modifier of the spellcaster's primary casting ability score (minimum 1).
A force golem is also immune to damage from force effects, such as magic missile (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/magic-missile), and adds 1 point to its kinetic energy pool for every 3 damage such an effect would deal. It may also move through a wall of force (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wall-of-force) or similar effect as though the barrier were not there, though this has no effect on the wall or the golem.

Vulnerability to Disintegrate: As it is comprised entirely of force planes nearly identical to a wall of force (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/w/wall-of-force) spell, the force golem shares much of that spell's vulnerability to the disintegrate (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/disintegrate) spell. A force golem takes a –4 penalty to its saves against the disintegrate spell, and the damage it takes from that spell (regardless of the save) is increased by 50%. A disintegrate spell must still overcome the golem's Spell Resistance to have any effect.

Inertial Charge (Ex): When a force golem begins a charge, before making the attack roll, it may spend 2 points from its kinetic energy pool as a free action. If it does and the attack succeeds, the golem's slam attack deals double damage, as though it were using the powerful charge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Powerful-Charge-Ex-) ability.

Deconstruction (Su): The force golem is little more than inertia and energy given a semblance of structure and form, and it may shed this ruse temporarily, at the cost of the energy it has stored. As a move action, the force golem may deconstruct itself by spending 4 points from its kinetic energy pool, becoming a shapeless mass of vectors and tangled bands of force for a number of rounds equal to its hit dice. It may end this form prematurely, becoming a solid construct again.
In its deconstructed form, the force golem has the following abilities and benefits.
The force golem gains the compression (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Compression-Ex-) extraordinary ability in this form, allowing it to move easily through confined spaces, and it gains a fly speed of 30 ft., with average maneuverability. The golem cannot fall or take falling damage while in this form, and it may pass through and operate in water as easily as it does in air.
It gains immunity to all non-magical attack forms, and takes only half damage from corporeal sources. Corporeal spells and effects that do not deal damage have only a 50% chance to affect the golem in this form. The golem cannot be tripped, pushed, pulled, or grappled while in this form, and it may not grapple corporeal creatures.
It loses its damage reduction, vulnerability to disintegrate, and inertial charge abilities, but it gains the whirlwind (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Whirlwind-Su-) supernatural ability during this time. It may enter its whirlwind form for up to 1 round per 2 hit dice the golem possesses, though it must spend 2 points from its kinetic energy pool to do so. The whirlwind's maximum height is 20 feet, and it deals damage equal to the golem's slam attack to the creatures caught within it. A successful Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the golem's hit dice + the golem's Strength modifier) avoids or escapes this whirlwind.

The force golem is little more than inertia and force given a semblance of structure and form, and it may shed this ruse temporarily, at the cost of the energy it has stored. As a move action, the force golem may deconstruct itself by spending 4 points from its kinetic energy pool, becoming a shapeless mass of vectors and ribbons of force for a number of rounds equal to its hit dice. It may end this form prematurely, becoming a semisolid construct again.
In its deconstructed form, the force golem has the following adjustments to its abilities.
First, the force golem gains the compression (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Compression-Ex-) and incorporeal (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Incorporeal-Ex-) extraordinary abilities, though it retains its immunity to force effects and the Strength, AC, and SR bonuses it gains from its kinetic absorption ability. It also cannot enter or pass through solid objects, and its attacks do not bypass armor, shields, or natural armor. It may continue to slam creatures as though it were a solid creature, and may attempt bull rush, trip, push, and disarm combat maneuvers as normal.
The force golem gains a 40 foot fly speed in this form, with average maneuverability.
In this form, the force golem loses its vulnerability to disintegrate and its inertial charge ability, but it gains the whirlwind (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/rules-for-monsters/universal-monster-rules#TOC-Whirlwind-Su-) supernatural ability during this time. It may enter its whirlwind form for up to 1 round per hit dice the golem possesses, but it must spend 2 points from its kinetic energy pool to do so. The whirlwind's maximum height is 20 feet, and it deals damage equal to the golem's slam attack to the creatures caught within it. A successful Reflex save (DC 20) avoids or escapes this whirlwind; this DC is Strength based.

Ecology

Environment Force golems are normally created to serve or protect powerful evokers, and are most often found in dungeons and laboratories. Wild force golems have either lost their master or spawned from eldritch energies at the location of a permanent wall of force.
Organization Single, Joule (2 or 3), or Dyne (4 to 6)
Treasure incidental at best; a force golem is comprised entirely of condensed energy, leaving nothing behind when it is destroyed.

A force golem is typically quite passive, and does not often begin or initiate confrontation. They are most often created to serve as guardians, and will protect the location assigned to them to the best of their abilities. When pressed to engage an opposing group, the force golem typically conserves its energy in the first few rounds of combat, until it has had time to assess the strengths of its opponents. It then chooses one opponent, typically the one that dealt the most damage to the golem in a single attack or spell, and pursues that opponent relentlessly. When the subject of its onslaught is defeated, the golem chooses another to focus on. A force golem makes no distinction between mundane and magical opponents, though it actively pursues creatures it observes using the disintegrate spell, or any other spell that dispels or disrupts force effects.
A force golem is conservative with its energy at the start of a battle, but spends more quickly as it attains more than 25 points in its pool. Likewise, as the amount of energy available to it drops below 15 points, the golem becomes excessively frugal and uses the minimum energy necessary to defend itself. Because of this, the golem often seems to be more aggressive as it attains more kinetic energy points, and more cautious as it loses those points.
Force golems typically do not band together or strategize, and rarely employ teamwork or synergistic strategies under their own guidance. Force golems under the control of a powerful evoker have been known to follow simple commands to achieve straightforward tasks, though this is a quality of their obedience, rather than their own initiative.

gr8artist
2014-11-06, 01:07 AM
Reserved for additional information.

Also, it occurs to me that I need to edit the attack bonus, CMB and CMD, and other Strength dependent values (like slam damage) to indicate that it has a –5 Strength penalty as a baseline. Or should I just leave it all as though he had a Strength score of 10, like it is now, since his Strength score is so variable?

Kamai
2014-11-06, 03:25 AM
Reserved for additional information.

Also, it occurs to me that I need to edit the attack bonus, CMB and CMD, and other Strength dependent values (like slam damage) to indicate that it has a –5 Strength penalty as a baseline. Or should I just leave it all as though he had a Strength score of 10, like it is now, since his Strength score is so variable?

Personally, I would stat it as if it had 20 Strength (the average) but point them towards Kinetic Absorption. If a person were to use this straight out of the book, it would have 20 Strength to start the combat, and having to calculate even from there without the pool changing is going to cause a lot of errors.

gr8artist
2014-11-06, 01:40 PM
Hmm, that's a good point. I'll do so.

I'm now worried that the description on Kinetic Absorption is too long. Thoughts?

Ethereal Gears
2014-11-06, 03:33 PM
Wow. This is a really neat idea, I think. I really like how you took the rather bland "sixth energy type" and made something creative and cool out of it. I also think the kinetic absorption mechanic is very dynamic and interesting, and seems balanced as far as I can tell. Just a few small notes:

1. Shouldn't the amount of kinetic points gained via an attack roll missing the golem be equal to the source of the attack's Strength or Dexterity bonus, depending on which was used for the attack (i.e. ranged attacks, weapon finesse, etc.)? I mean, I realize Strength represents impact, but what about if a gunslinger with gun training misses it with a firearm attack or an agile elven curve blade fails to overcome the golem's AC?

2. Also, and this is more of a question than a critique; considering all the exceptions to how incorporeal creatures usually work that the golem adheres to when deconstructing, exactly what benefits and/or drawbacks does it gaining the incorporeal ability confer?

3. The description for kinetic is rather lengthy, but I think it's necessary to explain it in full. In official Paizo matieral I offend find abilities are not properly delineated due to space constraints and it creates confusion. I like that you've thoroughly laid it out so there're no misconceptions.

Anyway, great job! I'd definitely like to use one of these in an upcoming campaign I'll be GMing.

Kamai
2014-11-06, 04:32 PM
Some notes:
Deconstruction's Whirlwind Form Reflex save should be taken apart into how you get the save. Unlike the Strength modifier from playing it out of the book, you have to change this creature's strength modifier to even use this ability.

This creature can get really spiky in practice. A single missed attack can end up being +3 AC and +3 SR for this creature, quickly starting a spiral of silly defenses and offense. At the same time, compared to the "standard" monster (http://paizo.com/PRD/monsters/monsterCreation.html), the Kinetic Golem is somewhat fragile for something that I'm not sure if you really just want to be a glorified caster, and more so if it uses any SLAs outside of Resilient Sphere/Wall of Force.

I agree with Ethereal Gears about just spelling out what you're getting from incorporeality. Those rules carry in references to incorporeal undead (like holy water and Channel Energy). On top of that, is there any way around the half damage of incorporeality, since this creature remains immune to force? On the other hand, while adding Dexterity (if it's the attack type) to the inertial pool makes sense, if it didn't already tell a 3/4 BAB class to sit out (especially the Rogue) would now do so, on top of double dipping against ray casters. This could cause it to go too far into wall of impossible that can only be meaningfully dealt with by casters.

gr8artist
2014-11-06, 08:00 PM
1. Shouldn't the amount of kinetic points gained via an attack roll missing the golem be equal to the source of the attack's Strength or Dexterity bonus, depending on which was used for the attack (i.e. ranged attacks, weapon finesse, etc.)? I mean, I realize Strength represents impact, but what about if a gunslinger with gun training misses it with a firearm attack or an agile elven curve blade fails to overcome the golem's AC?
It's the impact of the blow that adds force to the kinetic energy pool, not the accuracy. I'll admit there needs to be something about not adding the strength modifier for ranged attacks, but I don't think adding Dex or whatever else would fit the idea of redirecting the force of the blow.
I have debating making it instead the minimum damage of the attack, or just a flat +2 for every deflected spell or attack. Would one of these work better? I realize that minimum damage would contradict the aforementioned preference to not add Dex or other ability scores, but if it's for the sake of making the ability easier to use I could see its merit.

2. Also, and this is more of a question than a critique; considering all the exceptions to how incorporeal creatures usually work that the golem adheres to when deconstructing, exactly what benefits and/or drawbacks does it gaining the incorporeal ability confer?
It gains immunity to non-magical attacks, 50% damage reduction from any source and 50% effectiveness from crowd control. It can't fall or take falling damage, and can "fly" through water. Can't be tripped or grappled. Has no weight and doesn't set off weight or pressure based traps. Moves silently unless it wants to be heard, and non-visual senses are only partially effective against it.

3. The description for kinetic is rather lengthy, but I think it's necessary to explain it in full. In official Paizo matieral I often find abilities are not properly delineated due to space constraints and it creates confusion. I like that you've thoroughly laid it out so there're no misconceptions.
Should the ability be simplified, so that it can be shorter and still fully described?

Some notes:
Deconstruction's Whirlwind Form Reflex save should be taken apart into how you get the save. Unlike the Strength modifier from playing it out of the book, you have to change this creature's strength modifier to even use this ability.
Will do.

This creature can get really spiky in practice. A single missed attack can end up being +3 AC and +3 SR for this creature, quickly starting a spiral of silly defenses and offense. At the same time, compared to the "standard" monster (http://paizo.com/PRD/monsters/monsterCreation.html), the Kinetic Golem is somewhat fragile for something that I'm not sure if you really just want to be a glorified caster, and more so if it uses any SLAs outside of Resilient Sphere/Wall of Force.
It was supposed to start off weaker than the average comparable creature, but the tactical utility of its abilities and the ability to gain defenses and attacks over an extended battle were supposed to make it end up stronger than normal. Thus, over the course of a battle, the creature's average power level should be appropriate for its CR.
I already knocked a bunch of SLA's I'd been debating out of the creature, because it's not supposed to be a caster. Do you think I should drop some more to focus its purpose as a tanky, tactical brawler?

I agree with Ethereal Gears about just spelling out what you're getting from incorporeality. Those rules carry in references to incorporeal undead (like holy water and Channel Energy). On top of that, is there any way around the half damage of incorporeality, since this creature remains immune to force? On the other hand, while adding Dexterity (if it's the attack type) to the inertial pool makes sense, if it didn't already tell a 3/4 BAB class to sit out (especially the Rogue) would now do so, on top of double dipping against ray casters. This could cause it to go too far into wall of impossible that can only be meaningfully dealt with by casters.
See above, I've detailed exactly what he gets from deconstruction. Should I specify that he gains those perks, rather than saying he gets incorporeal qualities but not the ones other than those perks?
Currently, I'm saying that when he deconstructs he gets 10 perks, minus 5. I could rephrase it to just say that when he deconstructs he picks up 5 perks instead. (numbers not exact, but help the example)
And no, the creature is damn near invulnerable in its deconstructed form. It retains its full AC and SR, loses its weaknesses, and takes half damage from any source.
I'm leaning more and more on giving it a set bonus, like 2 points, from any failed attack or spell.

gr8artist
2014-11-07, 03:08 AM
Updated Kinetic Absorption and Deconstruction. What do you think?

Kamai
2014-11-07, 01:46 PM
I have to admit that it's hard to get a sense of if this thing is balanced without getting a sense of it's usual battle tactics. Right now, if it's backed up by an intelligent caster (I think level 4 or 5 would only bump the encounter to a CR 9), you're dealing with something that whirlwinds in an open area while said caster is throwing low CL AoE effects to both wear down the party and power this creature up, and if it gets too beat up, it gets ordered to back off, set up a wall of force, and start punching at the party through it. A 7th level party is going to struggle to tear through a wall of force, and the encounter is probably a wash outside of the featureless plain. On the other hand, if it's just a non-intelligent Golem, it goes in, punches things, and probably uses one of it's force effects and the whirlwind to hunker down/escape if necessary.

I still think the creature's too binary. I wish I had better numbers to work with, but I think it either gets pounced down for most of it's hp, or attacks just start bouncing off of it, and you're facing a creature that's just here to wear you down, assuming it's by itself. If something can think for it, the standard party never gets to hurt the creature or it's party member.

I think at CR 8, where a party isn't going to have a reliable way to get through a force effect, the inertial golem should have to pay a point to pass through force effects for a round. It sets it up for a cool escape, but can't wail on a party with impunity as it tries to smash through a hardness 30 wall, or just force them not to interact with the creature.

As far as getting Novaed down? I think you wouldn't be remiss giving him hardness 5 that doesn't persist in whirlwind form. You want this to be a long fight from the defensive abilities, the ability to slowly ramp, and the low damage it does before ramping up. Hardness 5 takes the edge off of the heavy pounce builds that are accessible at these levels, and encourage the larger die weapons that you want people to fight it with anyway.

gr8artist
2014-11-08, 02:43 AM
Updated. Now lists some tactics and methodology, gave them DR 5, and made them spend 2 energy per round to move through WoF effects.