PDA

View Full Version : How Balanced Is Turning Core Dragons Psionic?

HolyCouncilMagi
2014-11-06, 02:18 AM
Do the core Monster Manual dragons get stronger, weaker, or remain the same if you turn their Sorcerer casting into Psion Manifesting of the same level?

Erik Vale
2014-11-06, 02:28 AM
More powerful.
It means they can nova, have access to recharge tricks, and can know every power.

Of course, I believe there are Gem dragons for that.

peacenlove
2014-11-06, 02:57 AM
Psions are a caster level ahead in spell (power) acquisition and are generally more versatile in their use of spell slots (power points).
Lastly they can select 1-2 ranged offensive spells/debuffs and have the rest on buffs.
What they can't do effectively is stack metamagic, something dragons weren't inclined to do anyway.

Milo v3
2014-11-06, 03:01 AM
I'd make them wilder's rather than psion's.

Lord_Gareth
2014-11-06, 03:37 AM
Do the core Monster Manual dragons get stronger, weaker, or remain the same if you turn their Sorcerer casting into Psion Manifesting of the same level?

Psionics are harder to break than casting, but more rewarding for the breaking. If you're not intending on doing any nifty build tricks, it could be interesting and roughly equivalent, though it'll scale faster than sorcerer. If you are doing build tricks, potential power goes up.

Manly Man
2014-11-06, 05:02 AM
As said, it depends on the level of optimization you're going for with them. Wilder may be more fitting, considering the Charisma focus, although either one is good. If you're cherry picking all the powers for them, note that a dragon really needs pretty much no help at all in terms of physical buffs, although increasing their touch AC would be a grand idea if you want to make things like shivering touch less of a worry.

Vaz
2014-11-06, 05:13 AM
More powerful.
It means they can nova, have access to recharge tricks, and can know every power.

Of course, I believe there are Gem dragons for that.
Aren't Gem Dragons still Sorcerers with their "Psionics" being just a spell like ability (as opposed to being actual Psionic powers)? I'm not sure if there was an update making them manifest as Psions, though.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-06, 05:20 AM
Aren't Gem Dragons still Sorcerers with their "Psionics" being just a spell like ability (as opposed to being actual Psionic powers)? I'm not sure if there was an update making them manifest as Psions, though.

They're MM2, which means *shudder* 3.0 psionics. The 3.5 update doesn't change their manifesting progression, but thankfully removes attack and defense modes.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-06, 09:29 AM
Changing them to Psionics will have almost no change to their threat level. While it will increase the danger slightly, they generally have low enough manifester level to HD ratios that they will still be doing the basic self buff giant lizard gish they do so well. I think this is a good change myself.

Things to watch out for.

Expansion. Dragons can now enlarge themselves with expansion if they blow a feat on expanded knowledge.
More Nova - With Practiced Manifester / ML boosting gear / overchannel (they have HP to burn), a dragon can cast a few really powerful powers compared to multiple weak spells