PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest elimination of bookkeeping?

WarKitty
2014-11-06, 03:57 AM
So I'm looking for the cheapest way to get magic items to provide the following:
- unlimited ammunition
- sufficient food and water for adventurers
- anything else that people don't really want to track

Custom items allowed, pending my own approval.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-06, 04:10 AM
Encumbrance: Bag(s) of Holding and/or Hirelings
Food: Endless Rations
Water: Decanter of Endless Water
Air: Bottle of Air
Shelter: Command-word item of Leomund's Tiny Hut (27,000 gp)
Ammunition: Gloves of Endless Javelins (ask your DM if you can get a version for, say, arrows)

WarKitty
2014-11-06, 04:12 AM
Prices por favor?

Galen
2014-11-06, 04:47 AM
Bottomless Quiver, 2000 gp. Does exactly what you may think it does: unlimited mundane arrows or bolts.

Darrin
2014-11-06, 06:26 AM
- unlimited ammunition

Hank's Energy Bow (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20061227a) (22600 GP).

Bottomless Quiver looks like homebrew... there was something similar on the Wizard's website called the Quiver of Anariel (Cattie-Brie's quiver from the Lone Drow), but I'm having trouble finding it... ah. Here we are:

http://web.archive.org/web/20050826110524/http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/lonedrowstats

Quiver of Anariel: Quivers of Anariel appear to be typical arrow containers capable of holding a score of arrows. However, the quivers automatically replenish themselves with standard or magical arrows, such that they are always full. Some quivers also create arrows made of special materials, such as adamantine, cold iron, or alchemical silver. Once an arrow it taken from the quiver, it must be used within 1 round or it vanishes.

Moderate conjuration; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, magic weapon, minor creation; Price 28,000 gp (standard arrows), 29,000 gp (masterwork arrows), 32,000 gp (+1 arrows), 44,000 gp (+2 arrows), 64,000 gp (+3 arrows), 92,000 gp (+4 arrows), 128,000 gp (+5 arrows); Add an additional +6,000 gp for adamantine arrows, +4,005 gp for cold iron arrows, or +200 gp for alchemical silver arrows; Weight 1 lb.

- sufficient food and water for adventurers

Travel Cloak (1200 GP, Magic of Faerun).
Goodberry Bracelet (2000 GP, MIC).
Field Provisions Box (2000 GP, MIC).

- anything else that people don't really want to track

I'd suggest Shax's Haversack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101), but keeping track of the haversack is a bit of a bookkeeping headache.

The Viscount
2014-11-06, 02:58 PM
The cheaper Quiver of Lies from BoVD is only 12000, but is limited to plain arrows or bolts. It generates one whenever a lie is spoken (talking is a free action), and you could theoretically use it for lie detection.

WarKitty
2014-11-06, 05:58 PM
Yeah think I'm going with the bottomless quiver anyways. I'm the DM, I want to not have to worry about ammo while not giving them something so ridiculous they want to hawk it at the first chance they get. 2k sounds much more reasonable for unlimited mundane ammo.

The travel cloak looks quite nice though.

thethird
2014-11-06, 06:06 PM
There is another endless quiver in dragon compendium, which I really like as it gives any type of masterwork (steel, silver or cold iron). It costs 18k

WarKitty
2014-11-06, 06:27 PM
There is another endless quiver in dragon compendium, which I really like as it gives any type of masterwork (steel, silver or cold iron). It costs 18k

I think that's a bit much for the party level. We're talking level 4 characters here. I'll let them pay to add ammo types if they want to later.

heavyfuel
2014-11-06, 06:42 PM
CPs and SPs. If your treasure is worth 127 GP to split into four players, just make it 128 GP and be done with it. I know it's not a magic item, but it really does reduce bookeeping (and is technically an item, albeit a mundane one)

Zaq
2014-11-06, 06:50 PM
The best way to provide food and water for an adventuring party is to make sure that nobody has lower than 10 WIS*. Why? Because you can fend for yourself with a DC 10 Survival check, and you can take 10 on the check. So unless there's something problematic happening, you can always succeed on a Survival check to feed yourself. (Actual Survival ranks make it possible to do this even when you're in unfavorable conditions.)

*Survival ranks will overcome a WIS penalty, but still.

Sartharina
2014-11-06, 06:56 PM
The best way to provide food and water for an adventuring party is to make sure that nobody has lower than 10 WIS*. Why? Because you can fend for yourself with a DC 10 Survival check, and you can take 10 on the check. So unless there's something problematic happening, you can always succeed on a Survival check to feed yourself. (Actual Survival ranks make it possible to do this even when you're in unfavorable conditions.)

*Survival ranks will overcome a WIS penalty, but still.

This requires you to move at half speed.

Deadline
2014-11-06, 06:59 PM
Water/Beer = Everfull Mug (Magic Item Compendium, super cheap)
Food = Everlasting Rations (Magic Item Compendium, again super cheap)

You can get both of these for less than 1,000gp total.

Or the best option (IMO), just don't track the crap you don't want to track and handwave the issues away.

Coidzor
2014-11-06, 07:10 PM
Raptor Arrows might also provide a useful benchmark for pricing due to being reusable ammuniiton. IIRC they're in the Magic Item Compendium. They've also got some slightly wonky issues due to being relics, but, y'know.