PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Suddenly, Gestalt.

Drrakerr
2014-11-06, 11:20 AM
In a few weeks, I will be playing in a new campaign, with the idea being to be as high powered as possible. Needless to say, I'm rather excited. We have a blank check, anything from 3.0 to pathfinder is allowed, and as of yesterday, the DM was persuaded to make it a gestalt game. I planned on going Archivist/Malconvoker//Factotum (for turning attempts to qualify me for Divine Metamagic cheese as well as it just being a great passive side in general) but I had to ask, is there anything obvious I'm missing that would be stronger? The idea for the character is Librarian-BattlePriest-Batman with a shotgun and a demonic posse.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-06, 11:28 AM
Well, what level are you starting with? You only really need 8 levels of factutum, so if you are starting at level 20 it is hard to say no to also being a Succubus.

Drrakerr
2014-11-06, 11:33 AM
Sorry I guess I should have put more info in the OP. We are starting level 4, but plan to fast track leveling a bit since we aren't going to be able to keep the game going for very long. Flaws are allowed, and other than WBL, no limit on starting gear.

Rebel7284
2014-11-06, 12:01 PM
This is my favorite gestalt build:
Martial Wizard 5 (conjurer?)/Swiftblade 1/Spelldancer 1/Swiftblade+8/X 5
Factotum 5/Wizard+1/Factotum +3/Wizard+1/Factotum +2/Wizard+1/Factotum+1/Y 6

With full wizard casting, 2 free actions per round, free metamagic, Int to everything, great defensive abilities and even the ability to hit things with a stick if you are so inclined, you this build does everything. Take Faerie Mysteries Initiate (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Faerie_Mysteries_Initiate) and have lots of sex to use your intelligence for HP as well.

ohil
2014-11-06, 12:58 PM
Scout/Ranger one of the strongest Gestalt classes with the right feat.

Swift Hunter So you would count as 8th level ranger and 8th level scout. You can do a ton of damage for low levels.

Also for ranger you can choose favored enemy Arcane users adds a good chunk of damage.

It's a really fun class and great for Archery because of the added dice for movement. Just an idea if your original class doesn't work out.

Or Wizard/Cleric for 3 levels then prestige for fourth level for one of them the other is up to you. My buddy did this and it was good.

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-06, 02:20 PM
Well, level 4. You need to function well right out the door. Things to consider.

Well, with a cleric build you can start with Cleric 3 / Malconvoker 1

Take the Spontaneous Domain Casting ACF (PHB 2, p 37) and the summoner domain so you can spontaneously cast from that domain list rather than cure spells. This + versitle spellcaster means you can cast summon monster 3 with 2 2nd level spell slots. This also allows you to prepare all utility spells and simply cast summoning spells as needed without trying to guess how many you will need at the start of the day. +2cl to all summoning spells is also really nice.

Ask your DM if he will let you take the evil domain. All those summoning spells to summon demons have the evil descriptor, another +1 to CL is nice, and casting them doesn't hurt your alignment.

Alternatively, here are some good 2nd domains to look at.
Meditation Domain - free empower a spell once a day - Add more monsters to a summon when summoning multiple monsters!
Mind Domain - +2 to bluff and a few other nice skills
Nobility Domain - group buff for your monsters

Now, you are a little MAD, but you are doing utility casting and summons, so you don't care about save DC's. You need a wisdom of 19 at level 20, so just start with a 14 or so and build up to a +6 item as you level.

Now, factotum 4 is great, so stick with that. After level 8 I would be tempted to dip Marshal to get the charisma to charisma aura to boost your bluff check.

After that level of marshal, I would be very tempted to round yourself out with 8 levels of chameleon. It just adds tons of casting and bonuses.

Here is my build

Cleric 3 (summoning, mind) Spontaneous Domain Casting ACF / Malconvoker 9 / Cleric 8 (or nice cleric PRC, maybe contemplative, more domains - more options for spontaneous spells)
//
Factotum 8 / Marshal 1 / Factotum 4 / Chameleon (or more factotum) 8

Xaragos
2014-11-06, 02:23 PM
One build I saw that I liked was:

Archivist//Duskblade/Swiftblade

EDIT: Key feat to consider Academic Priest from Legend of the Twins (Dragonlance) helps deal with MAD

Drrakerr
2014-11-06, 03:23 PM
Thank for the feed back guys (and gals if any)! I will definitely look into look more into the classes. I wasnt planning on going factotum 20 so the classes yall brought up are a great help!

ohil
2014-11-06, 04:22 PM
Biggest thing is just think of your action economy. A wizard Barbarian can be good if you buff then rage and jump in to combat but you have to be pretty mad.

TheMooch
2014-11-06, 05:17 PM
Shadow pouncing is hard to pull off well in a normal game but in gestalt its great. This lets you pull off the ability to shadowpounce 3x in a round and on each of them you get to channel a spell hitting everyone and you can pump it further with arcane strike and power attack. Full BAB, nearly full casting with a crazy CL (depending on reading of master spelltheif) and decent saves/hp

duskblade 13/swiftblade 1/telflammar shadowlord 5/swiftblade +1 // spelltheif 1/cloistered cleric 1/ sha'ir 3/unseen seer 2/incantatrix 3/crusader 1/ruby knight vindicator 8/incantatrix +1

feats:
1: dodge
flaw: mobility
flaw: power attack
human: blind fight
2:(duskblade2) combat casting
2(CC): knowledge devoation, magic devotion
3: extend spell
5(otyugh hole): iron will
6: master spelltheif
7(unseen seer): silent spell
8(incantatrix): persist spell