PDA

View Full Version : Monsters that summon other monsters

.Zero
2014-11-06, 04:23 PM
I'm in need of a list of monsters that can summon other monsters as a Su or Ex ability. I already know of the neogi old master's spit spawn Ex ability, that would be nice if those spawns wouldn't have only 2hp.
Very specifically, i need is monsters that summon other 10+hp living monsters as a Su or Ex ability. Elemental Wierd is nice too, but it's limited to 3/day. Source of the monsters will be really appreciated.

Can you help me?

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-06, 04:29 PM
Grimweird from Monster Manual III? 'Cept I think that is an SLA, but otherwise it's pretty ideal.

Summoning Ooze, which I think is from the same book.

Living Spells of summoning spells might work, not sure if that is a legal combo, though. Same book.

I believe Ruin Chanters from Monster Manual V can command Ruin Elementals, but not sure they can actually summon them. They are usually found together, though.

Many demons are able to call other demons, though there is a failure chance. Can really make encounters unpredictable, especially if you start out with a large number of them.

Keep in mind that summoned creatures can't use abilities that summon additional creatures.

Necroticplague
2014-11-06, 06:04 PM
Living Spells of summoning spells might work, not sure if that is a legal combo, though. Same book.

Keep in mind that summoned creatures can't use abilities that summon additional creatures.

Nope, not legal, living spells can't be made from spells whose effect is already a creature.

I'm pretty sure based on the specification that he intends on using Wild Shape.

That said; onto contributing:

A lot of Oozes have the ability to split when hit. This is kinda like summoning, in that it creates another creatures on your side.

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-06, 07:10 PM
Well, if splitting is in, check out the Burrow Root, in MM5. IIRC, it's a 12HD plant that has a splitting ability when it is injured. Beware angry DMs, though, since ambitious use of this ability can be extremely unbalancing.

.Zero
2014-11-06, 07:17 PM
Baatezu and Tanar'ri are not what i'm looking for, since their summoning abilities are Na or Sp, as for Yugoloths or Summoning Oozes.

I just read all MM II and III and i couldn't find anything useful for my purpose. Really, the best would be something like the old master neogi but with more that 10hp.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-06, 07:58 PM
What, specifically, are you trying to accomplish? It kinda sounds like you're trying to replicate yourself via shapechange cheese.

.Zero
2014-11-07, 09:38 AM
Sure it involves shapechange and sure it's cheesy but I'm not trying to replicate myself. I'll share this trick only when i'll find a method to do it constantly and without wasting too many resources.

The closest thing i found by now i a 16hd undead from fiend folio that sprouts a swarm once per round as a standard action, but that would slow the process way too much. I'm still searching.

Venger
2014-11-07, 04:37 PM
Nope, not legal, living spells can't be made from spells whose effect is already a creature.

summoning ooze is not the living spell template applied to summon monster x, it is a separate monster.

OP, if you'd tell us what you'd like to do, we'd be able to provide more useful advice. As it stands, there are dozens of monsters with summoning abilities, but the ones mentioned don't seem to fit your criteria, whatever they are.

The 10hp cutoff makes me think of greater consumptive field to lead to some kind of CL tricks.

.Zero
2014-11-07, 04:43 PM
We have a winner! Yes, it involves raising cl with GCF. But i need creatures with low hp that will not immediately die when entering in the spell's area. Maybe i found something useful, but i need to plan it well, and i didn't have time today to do it.

I'm still open to suggestions.

Necroticplague
2014-11-07, 06:09 PM
summoning ooze is not the living spell template applied to summon monster x, it is a separate monster.
Good thing I was responding to

And thus the Summoning Ooze is entirely irrelevant to my response.

Phelix-Mu
2014-11-08, 01:30 AM
We have a winner! Yes, it involves raising cl with GCF. But i need creatures with low hp that will not immediately die when entering in the spell's area. Maybe i found something useful, but i need to plan it well, and i didn't have time today to do it.

I'm still open to suggestions.

Would be pretty cool if you could have a living spell of body out of body or similar magic. But probably not as feasible if you are coming at this as a player.