PDA

View Full Version : Help me design a cursed magic item hoard

Ziegander
2014-11-06, 06:18 PM
At the end of the negadungeon my adventurers are currently exploring, I intend to have them uncover a hidden cache of magic items. I want to provide one magic item for each of the players (6), and The Headstriker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?382142-Homebrewed-Magic-Items) is one I've decided to include, perfect for the party's sword and board Champion Fighter. I want to design a magic whip for the party's Dryad Paladin (Oath of Ancients, homebrewed race), but I don't know exactly what I want to provide for the other characters. Said other characters include a Wild Magic Tiefling Sorcerer, a multiclassed Human Wild Magic Sorc 2/Paladin 1, a Human Monk (Way of Shadows), a Forest Gnome Arcane Trickster Rogue, and a Dragonborn Warlock (Pact of Chain, Great Old Ones patron).

My thinking is that the sword and the whip will be the only weapons of the stash. What other items might you include here? Any thoughts on the whip? As the dungeon they are in is an ancient, evil place, I want most or all of these items to be of the semi-cursed variety that the Headstriker is, so ideas on the darker side, both with benefits alongside messed up drawbacks are preferable.

Sartharina
2014-11-06, 06:39 PM
I want to provide one magic item for each of the players (6), and The Headstriker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?382142-Homebrewed-Magic-Items) is one I've decided to include, perfect for the party's sword and board Champion Fighter.... do you really hate him that much?

Ziegander
2014-11-06, 06:54 PM
... do you really hate him that much?

I said it was cursed didn't I? Sorry, I'll amend the post title to reflect the cursed nature of the items in the hoard. The players themselves know that this is a darker game than usual, and their characters have been warned that they shouldn't be where they are. It's not like the sword forces a creature to attune, or even tempts them to with Charisma saves to resist, and unlike 3e's cursed items, the wielder can become unattuned and get rid of the evil thing if they choose to without a Remove Curse spell. It offers ample benefits aside from the costs. It doesn't simply drain all his strength and leave him ruined.

Likantropos
2014-11-06, 07:15 PM
Ok, without thinking much:
1. The whip makes pain the wielders desire. If the wielder did not take damage between rests (say, equal to her HD), at the end of the rests she gains a level of exhaustion.
2. For the rogue - Headband of Unnoticing. Gives advantage on stealth checks, but sometimes allies don't see you too. There's 25-50% chance that they hit the bearer of the Headband when targeting and enemy in 5ft. Furthermore, beneficial spells directed at him have the same chance to miss.
3. For chain pact warlock there's a chain. It's almost intelligent and has it's own morals (unknown for the character, naturally, something absurd, preferably, like "no breaking of round objects"), and it tightens, suffocating the character every time these moral codes are broken.
4. For the monk - the anti-lantern. It turns light into shadows. Also, it turns healing into damage and buffs into debuffs (only the ones targeted at him, naturally).
5. For the wild sorc - the wildeficator of wild magic. Lets him recharge his font of magic more often, but triggers a wild magic table roll every time a spell is cast in 60ft radius.

Atmosk
2014-11-07, 04:18 AM
The shiv of healing is a classic. "Don't worry comrade! I'll save you with my magical shiv of healing!" *SPLAT*

Inevitability
2014-11-07, 03:42 PM
For the wild mage, maybe an amulet or orb that tips the odds against him? Start by making each roll on the chaos table a 'roll three times, DM picks the worst option'. Benefits could include forcing some of that bad luck on enemies.