PDA

View Full Version : Fluff is more fun when its in Elvish

Mastocles
2014-11-06, 06:47 PM
The Oathbow in D&D has the flavour that it wishers "Swift defeat to my enemies" in Elvish, yet does not say what it is. That does not add anything fun for the player to say (=yell embarrassingly) when rolling his/her attack dice, which makes it pointless fluff.
After giving a go at converting the D&D 5e (Next) in Elvish (Tolkein's Sindarin) (Elvish character sheet (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?381485-Character-sheet-in-Elvish)), I thought I'd give the Oathbow a translation: Dant lagor anin gyth nīn (Fall swift to-the enemies my).

Are there any more items that say something in Elvish (or Elven as WotC call it) with a similar flair? (aka. Help my addiction —Thanks!).

Varden Kenzei
2016-05-20, 10:33 AM
The Oathbow in D&D has the flavour that it wishers "Swift defeat to my enemies" in Elvish, yet does not say what it is. That does not add anything fun for the player to say (=yell embarrassingly) when rolling his/her attack dice, which makes it pointless fluff.
After giving a go at converting the D&D 5e (Next) in Elvish I thought I'd give the Oathbow a translation:

Dant lagor anin gyth nīn (Fall swift to-the enemies my).

).

Great minds think alike! I translated the literal command phrase into Elvish too:

"Swift death to you who have wronged me" becomes

"Alarca gwanu an ech yan gar neithan nin!"

nedz
2016-05-20, 04:22 PM
What's Elvish for Thread Necromancy ?

Or This thread is over two years old.

Varden Kenzei
2016-05-21, 10:45 AM
Or Lagor gwanu an ech yan gar neithan nin!"

What's Elvish for Thread Necromancy ?

Or This thread is over two years old.

Folks pickin' up Oathbows all the time. Still lookin' for the Elvish like it says in the DMG.

'Thread necromancy' has a nice ring to it. Sounds like an urban arcana spell.

Pancakeli
2018-03-15, 08:34 PM
Or Lagor gwanu an ech yan gar neithan nin!"

Folks pickin' up Oathbows all the time. Still lookin' for the Elvish like it says in the DMG.

'Thread necromancy' has a nice ring to it. Sounds like an urban arcana spell.

And here I am another two years later looking for the Elvish translation of "Swift defeat to my enemies" and "Swift death to you who have wronged me." :P