PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Races in 5e?

MirthTheBard
2014-11-06, 11:28 PM
Hi playground!

I still don't know all too much about 5e and so I was hoping someone with more experience could answer me this:

Would it be problematic to use Pathfinder races not found in 5e while still using the 5e system for everything else? Would it be more beneficial to just homebrew the races rather than taking them from Pathfinder?

Sorry if this isn't the appropriate sub-forum to post it in since it crosses over a bit, I just figured since I'd mostly be using 5e aside from races possibly it would be more fitting here.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Yorrin
2014-11-06, 11:45 PM
It shouldn't be hard at all to convert them. Mostly differences in skills and perhaps any racial spells. Are there any you had in mind?

MirthTheBard
2014-11-06, 11:55 PM
It shouldn't be hard at all to convert them. Mostly differences in skills and perhaps any racial spells. Are there any you had in mind?

the Fetchling and Kitsune races are two that I've played a few times. I feel like the SLAs are where it shows a fair bit of difference from what I've seen of 5e.

Yorrin
2014-11-07, 09:25 AM
the Fetchling and Kitsune races are two that I've played a few times. I feel like the SLAs are where it shows a fair bit of difference from what I've seen of 5e.

Reading Fetchling you could use the Tiefling as a template for how to handle almost everything about the race. It likewise has a handful of spells, and some resistance to an element, as well as an extraplanar history.

Kitsune are a bit trickier, but you could pull "fey ancestry" from the elves and simply give them the Dancing Lights cantrip. Change Shape can convert almost directly: "The Kitsune can assume the form of a single human. Treat this like Alter Self with no stat changes."

On both races they've got a lot of tiny bonuses to stuff (Fetchling's Skilled, Kitsune's +1Enchantment DC, etc) that 5e simply doesn't care about, and you can really drop them without really losing the feel of either race.

MirthTheBard
2014-11-07, 02:44 PM
Reading Fetchling you could use the Tiefling as a template for how to handle almost everything about the race. It likewise has a handful of spells, and some resistance to an element, as well as an extraplanar history.

Kitsune are a bit trickier, but you could pull "fey ancestry" from the elves and simply give them the Dancing Lights cantrip. Change Shape can convert almost directly: "The Kitsune can assume the form of a single human. Treat this like Alter Self with no stat changes."

On both races they've got a lot of tiny bonuses to stuff (Fetchling's Skilled, Kitsune's +1Enchantment DC, etc) that 5e simply doesn't care about, and you can really drop them without really losing the feel of either race.

Thanks a lot! And now I think I'll be better versed for any other possible future conversions at my group's table

IAmTehDave
2014-11-07, 02:56 PM
Thanks a lot! And now I think I'll be better versed for any other possible future conversions at my group's table

I honestly feel like 5e is going to be really easy to plug other d20 content into (especially if it's from a 3.x base like Pathfinder) mostly because most of the rules are simpler, and 5e has a fairly standard system for figuring out what numbers are going to be. Save DCs are 8+Prof+Stat, truly martial characters get Extra Attack at 5, Spells have fairly regimented scaling, anything that grants many bonus feats could stand to net an extra bonus ASI at some point, and eliminate bonus spells/etc.

I plan, myself, on building some characters using some DSP Pathfinder material but converting the numbers/mechanics to 5e, and seeing how they stack up as NPCs for a 5e campaign I'm going to run. (anything using non-5e base is because it's from the Fae. They don't follow the same rules as the rest of the world)

For my plans, it's really just a question of converting the maneuvers to 5e, and seeing what the numbers should be. Also toning down the number of maneuvers known/readied.