PDA

View Full Version : Help me make a Rope Dart, Meteor Hammer, Kusarigama or Chained Kama User

Blind_Prophet
2014-11-07, 04:42 AM
So yeah pretty much the title, I'm looking to join a Roll20 or Local Pathfinder game (I usually GM) and I've always wanted to build a character around one of the mentioned weapons (Kusarigama preferably) but I really hae no idea where to start.

A few things I've heard

- The above weapons count as both thrown and ranged weapons
- Retrieving this weapon is a free action essentially giving it the "returning" enchantment for free
- W/O as special ability you cannot threaten with them
- Them seem to have "two modes"...reach & melee (except the rope dart)

Anyways first look it seems like Monk is a no brainer for these but to be honest I'm just not feeling it even if Jackie Chan's Horseshoe on a rope was freaking awesome...Ninja might be ok (kind of a scorpian from MK thing)

I'd also like to make it a build that is a decent party face maybe a Ninja/Bard? or Ninja/Sorc/Gish Prestige or just a Ninja w/ the right traits.

As for combat I'd like it to be very mobile and would be nice to fit in tripping and/or disarming....definitely want to get Shot on the run.

I don;t really have much more than that...I REALLY don't know what I'm doing with this one

sonofzeal
2014-11-07, 12:43 PM
The best stats I've seen for Meteor Hammer (not sure if official):

Two-handed melee weapon, 1d6 damage, 20/x2 crit, bludgeoning. Reach is 15', and it threatens that whole area. Tripping weapon.

Rickshaw
2014-11-07, 01:04 PM
I would use the meteor hammer were I you. The kusarigama is nice and all, but the frank weirdness of it coupled with very vague rules means that a lot of people don't like it. I've never been able to get it allowed in a game.

If you want to be a mundane tripper, brawler may be better than either monk or ninja, if nothing else than because of the sheer number of feats it gets, and the flexibility of martial uh, flexibility (what a well named class ability.) On top of that it has full bab, d10 hd, light armor proficiently, and if you want you can pick up agile maneuvers and not worry about str so you don't wind up mad as a monk when you Gish. That way you can dump str and int without crippling yourself.

Bard is probably your best bet for a face Gish, though when you want to break is debatable. Idk how high a level you are planning on going with this char, but I would probably break at 2 or 3. Maybe 4 at the absolute latest if you need even more feats and really like the fluff of knockout. But with bard you can still wear armor, unlike sorc, and won't be absolutely useless once you run out of spells. Which you will. Because you are 2-4 levels behind the other casters.

As far as race goes, surprisingly you may not want human. The extra feat is nice, but with a Gish, stats are important. Kitsune is good, though unusual. Halfling, of course, is good, though small size is a big drawback. I'm sure there are others and you can search em out, but cha and dex by themselves will let you face and trip without becoming obsolete super fast, though almost all gishes are doomed to obsolete-ity sooner or later, usually when casters start getting 5th level spells and monsters you fight start being things like dragons and giant centipedes and animated castles.