PDA

View Full Version : greataxe best critical chance

innerhungsolo
2014-11-07, 08:04 AM
Using 3.5e rules what's the best crit chance a greataxe can have? Also what are possible ways of improving crit multiplier? Any help would be appreciated thank you.

prufock
2014-11-07, 08:43 AM
Disciple of Dispater is your best bet, but technically 3.0. It was never updated, so by the update rules it's still a valid 3.5 class as well. It will triple your threat range to 18-20, and explicitly stacks with Improved Critical, for 17-20. Streetfighter barbarian 7 makes it 16-20. Mythic Exemplar with the Sunyarta paragon path makes it 15-20 (limited rounds). Serrated I believe makes it 14-20, but you'd need to check if it stacks.

I'm sure others will chime in with more.

Darrin
2014-11-07, 09:33 AM
Psychic Weapon Master was updated to 3.5 and it does stack with Improved Critical, but it only increases the crit range by 2.

Weapon Master from Oriental Adventures can increase the crit multiplier up to 5/day. Weapon Master was reprinted in Sword & Fist, and was supposedly replaced by Exotic Weapon Master according to the WotC website (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x), which would mean it's no longer considered available for 3.5 However, Oriental Adventures got it's own 3.5 update, so the Weapon Master in there might be considered 3.5 material. Unfortunately, the OA 3.5 update was done in Dragon #318, and has never been reprinted elsewhere, which means most people don't consider it as an official update because either 1) they don't allow any Dragon Magazine material or 2) they can't get their hands on a copy of the issue.

A greataxe made out of Kaorti resin (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a) would have a x4 multiplier, but would be considered an exotic weapon.

prufock
2014-11-07, 10:03 AM
Weapon Master from Oriental Adventures can increase the crit multiplier up to 5/day. Weapon Master was reprinted in Sword & Fist, and was supposedly replaced by Exotic Weapon Master according to the WotC website (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x), which would mean it's no longer considered available for 3.5 However, Oriental Adventures got it's own 3.5 update, so the Weapon Master in there might be considered 3.5 material. Unfortunately, the OA 3.5 update was done in Dragon #318, and has never been reprinted elsewhere, which means most people don't consider it as an official update because either 1) they don't allow any Dragon Magazine material or 2) they can't get their hands on a copy of the issue.
Weapon master isn't included in that update.

Darrin
2014-11-07, 10:11 AM
Weapon master isn't included in that update.

There were no changes to the PrC, so you'd use it just how it is in the OA book. What I meant was OA is considered an official 3.5 sourcebook because it got an official 3.5 update, which means all of the material in it should be considered official for 3.5 games (with the "minor adjustments" caveat from the DMG p. 4). But most people don't have access to the update.

lytokk
2014-11-07, 10:35 AM
I thought weapon master was replaced with Kensai?

Melcar
2014-11-07, 11:05 AM
Ok here goes...

If you create a laminated, serrated great axe that forging (non-masgical) becomes 19-20 x4, Disciple of Dispater triples that for 15-20, which stacks with improved critical for 13-20. Add 7 levels of weapon master for another 2 = 11-20. If you do allow third party, which laminated and serrated is, you might aswell use "Torn Assunder" which gives Greater and Enhanced Critical for 9-20 x5.

Why would you allows 3rd party you ask me... Because melee suck, and need all the help they can get.

Andezzar
2014-11-07, 11:32 AM
Where can I find laminated and serrated?

Melcar
2014-11-07, 04:28 PM
Where can I find laminated and serrated?

'Mercenaries' from AEG, page 91. It can be found online.

You could, with a laminated, serrated chainblade from torn assunder have a starting threat range of 16-20... do the math and you end up with 1-20 x 4

Ferronach
2014-11-07, 05:53 PM
'Mercenaries' from AEG, page 91. It can be found online.

You could, with a laminated, serrated chainblade from torn assunder have a starting threat range of 16-20... do the math and you end up with 1-20 x 4

Trolololol! 1-20
*rolls a 1*
DM: ok that is a fail...
you: actually it isnt..
DM: wha?
you: yea...its actually a crit.... sorry...
DM: lemme see that!
*DM looks over your math*
DM: Rocks fall! everyone dies! The End!

Andezzar
2014-11-07, 06:18 PM
Not at all. 1s are always misses and 20s hits regardless of the target's AC or the weapon's threat range. An extended threat range does not change the conditions for hits or misses.

Barbarian Horde
2014-11-07, 07:06 PM
http://www.ekkaia.org/rpg/dnd/ps/planarmetals.pdf

See if your DM will let you use this book. Certain metals will ether increase crit ranger, or weapon's size modifier.

Ferronach
2014-11-07, 11:39 PM
Not at all. 1s are always misses and 20s hits regardless of the target's AC or the weapon's threat range. An extended threat range does not change the conditions for hits or misses.

there are feats to get around a 1 being a guaranteed fail... I am not sure if there is one for to-hit but would be surprised if there is not.

Andezzar
2014-11-08, 12:11 AM
there are feats to get around a 1 being a guaranteed fail... I am not sure if there is one for to-hit but would be surprised if there is not.For attacks? If there are that sounds like 3rd party.

innerhungsolo
2014-11-08, 03:14 AM
For attacks? If there are that sounds like 3rd party.

there actually is. it is in the complete scoundrel book i believe. and thank you all who have taken the time to help me out. started playing dnd about 8 months ago (having a blast)

Andezzar
2014-11-08, 03:22 AM
I just checked. It is not in complete scoundrel.

Sir Chuckles
2014-11-08, 03:30 AM
Actually, it is.

Better Lucky than Good, a luck feat. Replaces a Nat 1 with a Nat 20, on attack rolls only. Though it works once per day, and requires two other luck feats.
So it's a pretty bleh feat.

Andezzar
2014-11-08, 07:09 AM
OK. Still that feat does not create a paradox which would make the game implode. The roll is simply treated as if it were a 20 in the first place. This would increase the probability of a crtitical hit a bit, but it creates no paradox where a die roll is both a hit and a miss. So no problem there.