PDA

View Full Version : ACG Hunter

Grim Reader
2014-11-07, 10:44 AM
What is the general opinion on this class? Given a setting with no Druids.

I am looking at adding it to my pre-approved class list. Which is tier 4-2, so there is no Druid to overshadow it at everything. Given that I'm fairly lax about players getting what they want from either 3.5 or Pathfinder, I expect there will be a lot of Spell Compendium Ranger spells picked, many levels earlier than a Ranger would get them.

Ninjaxenomorph
2014-11-07, 11:26 AM
I've never played it, but I think it's pretty much a Ranger Deluxe. For when you really want that animal companion, nothing extra attached.

Novawurmson
2014-11-07, 12:49 PM
Had a player run one in a one-shot. It's pretty much on the same level as the inquisitor, ranger, magus, etc. I'd put it at mid tier-3 - able to contribute a lot to a party, but won't break the game without extreme dedication on the part of the player.

Ssalarn
2014-11-07, 02:22 PM
Had a player run one in a one-shot. It's pretty much on the same level as the inquisitor, ranger, magus, etc. I'd put it at mid tier-3 - able to contribute a lot to a party, but won't break the game without extreme dedication on the part of the player.

Pretty much this. At low levels the Hunter can easily stack up some pretty crazy buffs with the right choice of Teamwork feats and Animal Companions and actually seem really strong, but by around level 6 or so he's pretty well settled firmly into his niche alongside the other Tier 3 characters.

Even alongside druids the class still occupies its own niche, with the best animal companion available and an unusual mix of spells and proficiencies that come together very nicely.