PDA

View Full Version : Wielding Larger Weapons [3.5]

D4rkh0rus
2014-11-07, 12:34 PM
What methods are there to wield weapons larger than what you can normally wield without much effort? (Like for a medium character to wield a colossal weapon) That don't increase his size?

I know of two, Strong Arm Bracers and monkey's grip. What else is there?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-11-07, 12:59 PM
Feycraft weapon template comes quickly to mind. Although I could be wrong, I don't have my DMG2 in front of me.

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-07, 01:07 PM
Feycraft weapon template comes quickly to mind. Although I could be wrong, I don't have my DMG2 in front of me.

Feycraft is counterproductive, it reduces damage by one step.

A good place to start for wielding big weapons is to play something with Powerful Build, like a Goliath.

Uncle Pine
2014-11-07, 01:14 PM
Combine Enlarge Weapon (Complete Scoundrel) and Sizing (MIC), in this order. If you're not a caster and you can't get your party's caster to cast it on you, you can cheaply put Enlarge Weapon on an X/day or continous item as it's only a 2nd level spell.

Andezzar
2014-11-07, 02:26 PM
Sizing does not help in this combination. While enlarge weapon increases the weapon damage without drawbacks, using sizing on that same weapon will give you all the drawbacks of a weapon one size too large.

Ferronach
2014-11-07, 05:55 PM
There is a feat that allows normal weapon size +2 to be wielded 2 handed at a -2? penalty. Sorry I can't remember what its called or what book it is from :(
No it is not monkey grip.

sideswipe
2014-11-07, 07:46 PM
have some way of getting greater mighty wallop or similar.

Thurbane
2014-11-07, 07:49 PM
Titan Bloodline?

There's also a Vestige that allows you to summon and wield a large warhammer without penalty...

Troacctid
2014-11-07, 10:36 PM
There are some +1 LA races that have the ability to wield oversized weapons. Goliath, Half-Giant, and Diopsid, off the top of my head.

Uncle Pine
2014-11-08, 05:03 AM
Sizing does not help in this combination. While enlarge weapon increases the weapon damage without drawbacks, using sizing on that same weapon will give you all the drawbacks of a weapon one size too large.
Wrong. Have a look at Enlarge Weapon:

A melee weapon you hold enlarges by one size category (Small weapons become Medium, Medium weapons become Large, and so on). As its size increases, the damage the weapon deals increases as well (PH 114). The weapon can be wielded as a weapon of its original size. If you drop the enlarged weapon, are disarmed, or hand the weapon to another creature, the spell ends. This spell does not grant you the ability to wield any other inappropriately sized weapon without penalty, only the one on which this spell is cast.
This spell has no effect on a weapon that is already increased in size by some other effect (such as being held by a creature affected by enlarge person).
Emphasis mine. The first bolded sentence explicity states that until Enlarge Weapon duration goes off, you can wield the weapon as a weapon of its original size. It does not specify that this only applies to the increase in size you get from the spell, thus it applies to every increase in size your weapon might experiment while Enlarge Weapon is in effect. The second bolded sentence states that you can't use Enlarge Weapon on a weapon that has already been enlarged by some other effect: this is why you activate Sizing after you cast Enlarge Weapon.
I recognize that this was not the intended use of the spell, but since a spell only does what explicitly stated in its description this little trick works.

Here's the Sizing weapon enhancement's description, just in case.

Activating a sizing weapon changes its size category to any other that you desire