PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Ideas for a Pathfinder Swashbuckler

IAmTehDave
2014-11-07, 01:48 PM
I'm in a PbP game where my character is a Human Swashbuckler(Corsair). Level 2 right now, with Weapon Focus: Rapier and Piercing Grace. I'm trying to figure out what way to go with my feats from here on in. (Note: Pathfinder only.)

Important notes:

Acceptable Material™ is limited to Published Paizo PF material. I'm figuring that as long as it's on d20PFSRD.com with a Paizo source it's golden.
Rest of party is a Fighter, a Shaman, a White Haired Witch, and a Bard.
I'm going to have Bluff and Intimidate maxed, for RP purposes. Intimidate gets a slowly scaling bonus from Corsair Archetype, also.
The OP level is probably mid-low. Not sure how important combat is going to be at the moment.
I'm using the corsair archetype for RP reasons, (And the level 7 deed is kind of awesome) I don't particularly care how good it is

One thing I found that seemed interesting was Butterfly's Sting, which lets me confirm my crit but pass up the benefits to let the next party member's attack be a crit. If the Fighter is using an axe of some sort that might be something to do. (As long as I still get the Panache from confirming the crit)

Otherwise, I figure Feinting is going to be a bad option, since there's no rogue to benefit, and I'm not going to take rogue levels to give a benefit for it. Would Dazzling Display maybe be a good investment of at least my bonus feat? (so I could shuffle it away later if I want) If so, Shatter Defenses seems worth picking up.

I'm 99% sure I'm going to be taking Combat Reflexes, just not sure when. (Was thinking at level 9, if it gets that far, so that when I take Signature Deed: Opportunity Parry and Riposte, I can use it on every attack that comes my way)
Combat Expertise seems like a no-brainer, but I'm just not sure what maneuvers to go for, if any. Was considering disarm, but not sure whether it's quite worth it.

Also, if anyone knows of a Swashbuckler Handbook akin to the Treantmonk guides, please let me know. A Google search only came up with one that I think talks about the Playtest version.

One last reminder: This is for the Pathfinder Swashbuckler. (In before the inevitable "missed the Pathfinder tag")

Abd al-Azrad
2014-11-07, 04:22 PM
Late here, I'll try to give some actual advise tomorrow or some such.

Pathfinder Swashbuckler Guide. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S6mCgF8JFOOepuB4v6yEsAZRNAqZ2H5i6RO-AqeEP_8/edit) It seems to really enjoy Dirty Trick fighting, which is awesome. Throwing sand in the eyes, and kicks to the family jewels. Exactly what high fantasy swordfights should be about.

IAmTehDave
2014-11-10, 11:47 AM
Okay, this seems to be the guide I found earlier, except updated to actually reflect the class as it is now.

I agree the guide-writer seems to be in love with Dirty Trick, and honestly looking at it, I might be inclined to agree. Also would make brilliant sense for the character I have in mind. Thank you.

Abd al-Azrad
2014-11-10, 12:55 PM
I would certainly try to make room for a Cruel weapon. Between your Charisma, Intimidate bonuses, and the party makeup (witch and shaman) you have a lot of synergy for setting people up to fail a saving throw. If you land Shaken and Sickened on an enemy, then the Witch hits them with, say, Misfortune or Evil Eye, then whatever the Shaman throws will be almost guaranteed to land.

Save-or-Lose spells are a lot better when the enemy can't possibly save.