PDA

View Full Version : Wooden Stakes?

BW600
2014-11-07, 02:27 PM
Quick question:
Are there wooden stakes in 5e, and if so, what are their price, damage etc?
If there aren't, can you suggest a possible homebrew rule that could easily incorporate them into a game?

MaxWilson
2014-11-07, 02:30 PM
Quick question:
Are there wooden stakes in 5e, and if so, what are their price, damage etc?
If there aren't, can you suggest a possible homebrew rule that could easily incorporate them into a game?

I'd say "use the improved weapon rules", which IIRC means 1d4 damage and no proficiency bonus unless you have the Tavern Brawler feat. For price, I'd handwave it as essentially free for anyone who has a knife and access to trees. Maybe 10 stakes for 1 cp if you absolutely need to buy them instead of making them.

MadGrady
2014-11-07, 03:32 PM
I'd say "use the improved weapon rules", which IIRC means 1d4 damage and no proficiency bonus unless you have the Tavern Brawler feat. For price, I'd handwave it as essentially free for anyone who has a knife and access to trees. Maybe 10 stakes for 1 cp if you absolutely need to buy them instead of making them.

Agree with cost.

I'd also potentially be swayed to say they are a form of dagger, and thus can be used with proficiency.

MaxWilson
2014-11-07, 03:46 PM
Agree with cost.

I'd also potentially be swayed to say they are a form of dagger, and thus can be used with proficiency.

No arguments if you want to make a wooden dagger and call it a wooden stake for vampire-hunting purposes. Fred Saberhagen's cops carried wooden bullets for vampire work...