PDA

View Full Version : Welcome New Moderators!

Roland St. Jude
2014-11-07, 07:57 PM
Giant in the Playground now has five new moderators! Please join us in welcoming them in this thread. These new moderators have been chosen through a very careful selection process and have endured a rigorous training process. They are now in a live training period (as not all technical controls could be demonstrated), and they now act with full modly authority - please heed their official comments and rulings.

Our newest Moderators (listed alphabetically) and their assigned forums:

Castaras (Mod of the Apocalypse/Pieromancer in the Playground) - Friendly Banter, Gaming(other), Structured Games, Message Board Games, Arts and Crafts, Media Discussions, Mad Science and Grumpy Technology
Chambers (Mod of the Broken Pattern/Planetouched in the Playground) - Older D&D/AD&D and Other Systems, Play-By-Post (all)
Douglas (The Mod Radiant/Surgebinder in the Playground) - Friendly Banter, Media Discussions, Technology, Order of the Stick, Webcomics
Haruki-kun (The Winged Mod/Angel in the Playground) - Friendly Banter, Message Board Games, Structured Games, Freeform Roleplaying Games
Savannah (The Mod One Out/Humanoid (human) in the Playground) - Play-By-Post, Order of the Stick, Roleplaying Games (all)

Thank you everyone who responded to our call for applications. It was heartening to see just how many people were willing to volunteer their time to keep this place running. At this time, we also thank averagejoe for his service and add him to our list of retired moderators, and, of course, thank our existing moderators for all their hard work in moderating the forum and in training the new recruits.

So join me in saying to our new mods, welcome, thank you, and good luck out there!

Seerow
2014-11-07, 08:16 PM
Averagejoe is retiring?

:( Hope he'll still be around.

And congrats to the new mods. Glad to see some familiar names up there.

Duck999
2014-11-07, 08:25 PM
Congratulations to you new mods, especially those of you I have seen around the playground and talked to. I hope this doesn't change how you act at all, because you guys are all awesome.:smallwink:

nyjastul69
2014-11-07, 08:25 PM
Welcome new mods! *waves* Thank you and good luck out there. :)

Duck999
2014-11-07, 08:27 PM
Just out of curiosity, when are they getting their titles and such, and when will they be added to the list of moderators for each section?

WarKitty
2014-11-07, 08:28 PM
Ruki's an angel???

EmeraldRose
2014-11-07, 08:35 PM
Yay! Welcome new Mods! :smallbiggrin:

Seerow
2014-11-07, 08:40 PM
By the way Douglas, I am curious which Order of Surgebinders you are part of. These things are important!

Lord Magtok
2014-11-07, 08:44 PM
Congrats, Ruki!

Psst! So do I get like, a 'get out of one ban free' card or something, since we're buddies? I totally get one, right? A secret internet card that lets me get away with going over 60pph (posts per hour) and not get a ticket? C'mon, you know what I'm talking about, right? Like in Monopoly, except for the forums? That's totally not something I made up just now, right?

Castaras, same question.

WarKitty
2014-11-07, 09:49 PM
http://forum.ixbt.com/post.cgi?id=attach:10:59838:393:1

For our new mods?

Irish Musician
2014-11-07, 11:53 PM
Congrats all!! To Chambers and Savannah specifically (since I have crossed paths with them before) Way to go y'all!

To think, the fellow Texas lady who did my avatar is a mod now! :smallbiggrin:

Douglas
2014-11-08, 02:30 AM
By the way Douglas, I am curious which Order of Surgebinders you are part of. These things are important!
Potentially subject to change, and this isn't quite the final version yet, but see my new avatar.:smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2014-11-08, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! Looking forward to working with everyone/for everyone here! :smallsmile:

Khedrac
2014-11-08, 03:30 AM
Welcome guys - joining this team you have a lot to live up to! (Which I am sure you will manage comfortably.)

On question for Castaras though - what is a "Pieromancer"?

SMEE
2014-11-08, 03:56 AM
*sniff, sniff*

So they graduated. The little ones grow up so fast nowadays. :smallsmile:

Douglas
2014-11-08, 04:28 AM
On question for Castaras though - what is a "Pieromancer"?
I think it's intended to be parsed as "pie"-"romancer". So, a pyromancer but with pie instead of fire.

Castaras
2014-11-08, 06:36 AM
Yep, 'tis all about pie.

*waves*

Mercenary Pen
2014-11-08, 07:06 AM
I think it's intended to be parsed as "pie"-"romancer". So, a pyromancer but with pie instead of fire.

And there I was, understanding it as somebody who romances using pies...:smalltongue:

Castaras
2014-11-08, 07:08 AM
And there I was, understanding it as somebody who romances using pies...:smalltongue:

*creates pie shaped as a loveheart*

*makes pink and have scented ingredients*

*feels awful about making such a disgustingly sappy pie and bins it*

Chambers
2014-11-08, 08:06 AM
Thanks everyone (hi Irish), glad to be here.

Mauve Shirt
2014-11-08, 09:06 AM
See I thought pieromancy was the practice of pier-based magic.

Welcome mods, those I know and those I don't.

Irish Musician
2014-11-08, 09:24 AM
Yep, 'tis all about pie.

*waves*

*waves* I too and pieromancer, but my magics usually just include the school of Pumpkin :smallsmile:

(hi chambers :smalltongue:)

Cuthalion
2014-11-08, 09:46 AM
Yay! Congratulations and welcome!

Savannah
2014-11-08, 10:02 AM
So for a terrifying two minutes, I thought my computer had died on the morning I became a mod. Turns out I'd left the dang thing unplugged and missed the low battery warnings while I was out of the room. Whoops.

Anyway.... Hey everyone, thanks for the welcome! Super glad I sent you the tweaked version of your avatar, Irish Musician, if you're going to be pointing out to everyone that I drew it :smalltongue:

Rawhide
2014-11-08, 10:05 AM
Wait, who let all this riff-raff in? *sigh* Quality standards have really gone to the dogs of late. :sigh:

I know I've said it before, but congratulations and welcome to the team!

Savannah
2014-11-08, 10:17 AM
Wait, who let all this riff-raff in?

I think it was this dude called Rawhide. You should probably do something about him.

Jaxzan Proditor
2014-11-08, 10:24 AM
A warm welcome to the new mods!

ThePhantom
2014-11-08, 10:39 AM
Congratulations. This should help out.

Irish Musician
2014-11-08, 10:48 AM
Anyway.... Hey everyone, thanks for the welcome! Super glad I sent you the tweaked version of your avatar, Irish Musician, if you're going to be pointing out to everyone that I drew it :smalltongue:
Well, everyone knows it anyway!! I always have your credit in my sig :smallbiggrin:

I think it was this dude called Rawhide. You should probably do something about him.

hehehehe :smallamused:

Seerow
2014-11-08, 12:09 PM
Potentially subject to change, and this isn't quite the final version yet, but see my new avatar.:smallbiggrin:

Excellent choice. And love the avatar. Should tweet or facebook that to Brandon Sanderson, he loves sharing fanart.

Rawhide
2014-11-08, 12:42 PM

I thought it was someone who forms a romantic attachment to pies.

Shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more delicious and more filling.

Tvtyrant
2014-11-08, 01:38 PM
Congratz to all of you! I for one welcome our new overlords :D

SiuiS
2014-11-08, 03:28 PM
Congratulations, friends!

More filling, Rawhide? depends on the pie, I would think.

Rockphed
2014-11-08, 10:04 PM
Wait, who let all this riff-raff in? *sigh* Quality standards have really gone to the dogs of late. :sigh:

I know I've said it before, but congratulations and welcome to the team!

Wait, there used to be quality standards on the mods? Then how did you ever get on the team. :smalltongue:

In seriousness, I only know what half of the new mods are by name, though I do recognize avatars. I must really be withdrawing from Giantitp. Which is sad, since this is one of the best places on the internet, in large part thanks to the tireless, and often thankless, efforts of the mods. Go forth young moderators! Ban trolls! Retrack threads! Be mighty in the fight against the innumerable hoards of the spam-bots. Yay, if your ban hammers shed one thousandth the bits that the mighty Rawhide has spilt, then ye are heroes in the fight for civilization!

Killer Angel
2014-11-09, 06:19 AM
All hail the new Mods!
Congrats, and good work! :smallsmile:

AtlanteanTroll
2014-11-09, 11:21 AM
I for one welcome our new new moderator overlords.

pendell
2014-11-09, 02:35 PM
Mod, eh? Well I didn't vote for you!

You don't vote for mods
[snip monty python sketch]

Congrats to our new mods! May you be firm but fair, impartial yet compassionate.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Duck999
2014-11-09, 03:38 PM
Congratz to all of you! I for one welcome our new overlords :D

I for one welcome our new new moderator overlords.

I, for three, welcome them.
Get your numbers right AtlanteanTroll.
Why haven't the mods appeared on the list for each section yet?

Rockphed
2014-11-09, 09:42 PM
I, for three, welcome them.
Get your numbers right AtlanteanTroll.
Why haven't the mods appeared on the list for each section yet?

For the same reason there was a call for more volunteers to moderate: the mods, especially the super-mod and administrator, are overworked and paid only in the sunshine and happiness the forum chooses to bestow upon them.

Douglas
2014-11-09, 09:47 PM
For the same reason there was a call for more volunteers to moderate: the mods, especially the super-mod and administrator, are overworked and paid only in the sunshine and happiness the forum chooses to bestow upon them.
I've already lost count of the number of spam bots that I, personally, have banned. Over a dozen, easily.

Vaynor
2014-11-09, 10:17 PM
Oh, my sweet summer mod, what do you know of bans? Bans are for the spammers, my little mod, when the spam threads fall a hundred feet deep and the bots comes howling out of the north. Bans are for the long night, when the sun hides its face for years at a time, and little playgrounders are born and live and die all in darkness while the FFRPers grow gaunt and hungry, and the spam bots move through the woods.

Seerow
2014-11-09, 11:54 PM
I've already lost count of the number of spam bots that I, personally, have banned. Over a dozen, easily.

Honestly being able to ban the spambots sounds like payment for services in of itself.

The Glyphstone
2014-11-10, 01:57 AM
Honestly being able to ban the spambots sounds like payment for services in of itself.

It is amazingly cathartic at times, but on the other hand, it can feel like trying to plug holes in a dam with a stack of flyswatters.

enderlord99
2014-11-10, 02:30 AM
I'm really happy for you, but there's one way in which this also makes me kind of sad:
There is now at least one amazing fancomic (Hero's Quest) which the author will forever be too busy to update. Also, another decent one (Angelic Slayer.)
I know, First World Problems and all that...

137beth
2014-11-10, 03:37 PM
Congratulations to all new mods!
[QUOTE=pendell;18380115]Mod, eh? Well I didn't vote for you!

You don't vote for mods
[snip monty python sketch]
QUOTE]

Then how do you become mod?
The Lady of the Playground Pond...:smalltongue:

pendell
2014-11-10, 03:41 PM
Strange women lying in ponds distributing banhammers is no basis for a system of moderation!

*Runs*

Brian P.

SMEE
2014-11-10, 06:22 PM
Strange women lying in ponds distributing banhammers is no basis for a system of moderation!

*Runs*

Brian P.

It totally is, and I distribute "ban-weapon-of-choices" to whomever I deem worthy! :smallyuk:

137beth
2014-11-10, 08:12 PM
I have to say, I'll miss averagejoe, though. He gave me my first infraction. Playground nostalgia, and all that.

It totally is, and I distribute "ban-weapon-of-choices" to whomever I deem worthy! :smallyuk:
Your signature has "banner" in it! Does that mean you plan on bannering everyone who reads your posts?

Savannah
2014-11-10, 10:40 PM
I'm really happy for you, but there's one way in which this also makes me kind of sad:
There is now at least one amazing fancomic (Hero's Quest) which the author will forever be too busy to update. Also, another decent one (Angelic Slayer.)

Aww :smallredface: I'm actually hoping to get back to it once I finish this *(#^#@ Master's thesis (I'm having...issues...at the moment), which will free up some time.

Haruki-kun
2014-11-10, 10:56 PM

Oh, awesome! Someone who remembers that. :smalltongue:

Well, I stopped working on that years ago, so it's no big change here. The source material has changed a lot over the years.

Zar Peter
2014-11-15, 03:51 PM
Congratulations Cassie and Haruki! And all the other moderators. I remember being punted by Cassie when she was that small! And now she's grown up and moderating... I'm proud!

Avatar as celebration by Castaras :smallbiggrin:

SiuiS
2014-11-20, 04:27 PM

Oh those poor souls :smalleek:

I'll give you that.

It is amazingly cathartic at times, but on the other hand, it can feel like trying to plug holes in a dam with a stack of flyswatters.

... And that. <_<

Then how do you become mod?
The Lady of the Playground Pond...:smalltongue:

Oooh, that's nice. I'll remember that.