PDA

View Full Version : The Raven's Kingmaker: the Stolen Lands IC

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-07, 09:03 PM
It was early autumn when six travelers met along the road west of the city, Restov. The fact they met at all would have been strange. The southern lands of Brevoy, ( also known known as Rostland), were not frequently traveled, as there was not but wilderness between Brevoy and the River Kingdoms. But these travelers each had a special purpose for marching into the wilds, and they all bore a charter bearing the seal of the regent lord, Roleski Surtova, claiming that these travelers were to explore the lands known as the Greenbelt.

They all had one destination in mind; Oleg's Trading Post. An old fort that was recently converted to a trade outpost by one Oleg Leveton. The day before they finally reached Oleg's it had rained, which muddied the boots of the six wanderers. They arrived at the outpost in the late afternoon. There was no sunset, as the sky was blanketed by grey clouds.

The wooden palisades of the fort had seen better days, but it looked like work had been recently done to improve the failing defenses. four watch towers stood on each corner of the wall, with an old catapult mounted atop each one. Only one entrance was available to enter, and so the travelers strode into the trading post.

Moments after they passed through the large wooden gate, a women, middle-aged and modestly dressed, cheerfully called out from the window of a squat, wooden building near the corner of the fort.

"Oh my, you're here! Come, come! We got word that adventurers would be coming in from the north. Please!" She motioned to the two sturdy tables that were standing in front of her window. "Sit, and make yourselves comfortable, I have warm stew and bread for you." She turned around and headed back into the building. Above and to the right of the travelers came the pounding of a hammer and muttered curses. Someone was on the roof, perhaps the man who had repaired the palisades.

http://www.lby3.com/dnd/images/5/5e/Oleg's_Trading_Post.jpg

A1. Market Yard

A2. Guesthouse

A3. Stable

A4. Storage Pen

A5. Middens

A6. Main Hall

A7. Dining Room

A8. Office

A9. Stockroom

A10. Storeroom

A11. Bedroom

hiiamtom
2014-11-07, 10:02 PM
May Grundinnar receive you, madam! While my journey has been gracefully uneventful for me and my steed, these are no longer a young man's legs. If you could attend to my horse, I would prefer to leave my cart somewhere accessible. It makes no sense to unpack when my visit will be short... that stew smells fine; I should take a moment to pray but my body is telling me your provisions are in order first,

Günter juts out a hand holding the reigns to Jared before akwarded withdrawing the hand and muttering in dwarven before adding

Forgive me, I forgot to introduce myself. I am Günter Ofen von Schmiedendorf of the Five Kings, I have traveled far in the past few months to aid this land and further the interests of the Schmiedendorf clan. The travel may have simply left me weary, but I did not catch your name.

dantiesilva
2014-11-07, 11:23 PM
In the late autumn air Robert Orlo made his way to the south of the city, he had gone to the sword lords alone asking for this, and as such did not expect help from others. After all his father had trained him how to wield a blade, and that was all he needed to know. However to his shock and surprise there were five other individuals at the same crossing, all looking on towards the distance. I wounder what has called all of them to the Greenbelt.. Robert thought to himself as he looked first to his left, then to his right looking at each of the travelers. Riches, land, fame, no matter. So long as I get what I came here for and they stay out of my way. Robert said to himself, all the while keeping a calm, open face about himself. Fine morning we are having no? I take it you also have one of these by the fact we are all standing here? Robert said with a practiced smile that only a noble would be so good at as he withdrew the charter.Once he saw that they were all indeed going to the same place he smiled and did a small bow. The name is Robert Orlo, son of Henery Orlo. Pleasure to make your acquaintance.

That had been a few days ago when they had all meet upon the road, by now Robert was comfortable enough with them all to at least know they were not here on John Ironhelms behalf, though he knew little more then that. The rain had not made for good times to talk, and being cold made it a waste of energy most nights. However from time to time Robert had tried to start small talk with the others. However there would be no more small talk now, or so he thought as he looked upon the fort known as Oleg's Trading Post. Well chaps, best not keep them waiting no? Never mind I can not wait for a good meal. No more of those rations. Robert said trying to brighten up the mood as he took the lead, his eyes ever vigilant off his surroundings, even after he walked threw the front gate.

Hello, is anyone here? Robert had called out when they all entered happy to see that there was still life in this old fort. He had thought bandits or something else had taken it by the looks of it outside. Why I thank you my dear lady, you could not imagine the journey we have all been threw to get here. Well no doubt you do, after all you live here but still. Robert said as he held out his hand. The name is Robert Orlo, son of Lord Henery Orlo. I am here on behest of the swordlords, something about trouble? Robert says as he sits down, his eyes ever vigilent to her facial features. Or at least they were until he heard a bang.

Knowledge Local [roll0] To see what I know about Oleg's trading post
Diplomacy check when greeting the woman [roll1]
Perception (inside the fort) [roll2]
Perception (outside the fort) [roll3]
Sense motives on the woman when she replies to him [roll4]

As the over happy Günter greets the woman as well Robert smirks. So you do talk old man, I was beginning to think you were a mute or something on our journey. Robert said with a friendly, warm smile as he teased the man.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-08, 01:48 AM
"Ha, he probably though it a shame to interrupt the spring of wonders you graced us with, Lord Robert" Hector retorted with a chuckle.
"I truly was born under a lucky star, to have such intelligent company during the last part of the trip here."
Hector couldn't help smiling at Roberts teasing. He liked these excentric folk, from the suave "Lord", who sometimes reminded him of his own escapades, to the gruff old dwarf. They were simple, and entertaining. And Hector liked simple.

Eldon4
2014-11-08, 02:53 AM
Bu-Hak

"Thank you for your gracious hospitality madam." Bu-Hak says as he takes a seat at the nearest table. He listens in to what the others are saying with an amused gleam to his black eyes, but doesn't say anything directly to them. As Bu-Hak waits he will check his feathers for moisture and to that the dark green dye he has recently applied to his shoulders hasn't run.

Ebon Dragon
2014-11-08, 05:07 AM
Adea takes a seat across from the tengu, keeping her back against the palisade wall so she can keep an eye on the entrance and the house. "So. I guess I didn't really talk much on the road. Sorry about that. Anyway, I'm Adea." She looks thoughtful. "I guess I'm Adea Rostlandi now. Huh. I never needed a last name before. Regardless, it's good to meet you all. What brings such diverse people to these parts?"

Small-talk. That could get a little boring, but awkward silence was worse. Maybe some of them had seen something interesting they could tell her of.

JennTora
2014-11-08, 07:33 AM
"my name is Vega. Nice to meet you Robert." Vega said. He intentionally offered no title, having never been fond of authority figures of any kind. "we make sort of a motley crew, don't we?

He hadn't spoken much since, though he had stared at their tengu ally some, more out of curiosity than apprehensiveness.

When the middle aged woman offered stew he said"yes thank you, this is wonderful after several days of rain and cold. "

Vega scratched his head at Robert's words to Svetlana. "Trouble at this outpost? Thought we were just here to chart the area and fight any bandits we happen to meet along the way."

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-08, 10:26 AM
Svetlana comes back bearing a large tray which held the travelers' meals. Upon hearing Robert speak, and seeing his outstretched hand, she was taken aback.

"My lord!" She didn't accept Robert's hand, but instead curtsied. "I had no idea we'd be entertaining nobility!" then she rose, and began to do the same for all of the guests. "It is my pleasure to meet you all, I hope this humble meal suites you." From her apron pocket she produced what looked like a bottle of fine wine, and poured a glass for everyone. Then she proceeded to stable any mounts that were present.

The hammering stopped, and soon a thump came from behind the building. A gruff looking man appeared, covered in sweat and dust, wearing a craftsmen's apron. "Figures those damn nobles didn't tell you anything." He addressed Vega. "We've been having bandit trouble for months! But do they care? Of course not! Because it ain't messin' up their fancy parties now, is it?"

Svetlana returned from the stable and began to scold the man. "Oleg! These are our guests! And nobility to boot! Show them some courtesy. But she paused and looked and the recent arrivals. "But, you say Brevoy did not send you to aid us against the ruffians?"

gremlin-pult
2014-11-08, 11:06 AM
"Well, it truly is a pity that you did not talk more. You have a beautiful voice, fair Adea." Hector says with a charming smile. "And you are right, Vega we are indeed a ragtag band. But then again, those are the best kind, no?"

Turning to Svetlana and Oleg, Hector flashes another smile, oozing with charm, and gives a little bow. "Indeed, my good hosts, we have come to chart this land and handle the troubles that hound it, bandits included. But we were not told of any troubles here at the trading post, no." He turns a look towards the gate, then exclaims brightly "But! Should you be in need of aid against foul bandits, it would be my honor, and my pleasure to be of service" He finishes with confidence, then sits and eats the food offered.
"Uhmm, Your culinary skills are divine milady. This food is wonderful"

hiiamtom
2014-11-08, 11:30 AM
Günter fell into a seat which creaked under the weight, and pauses before eating only to say, "House Surtova, as many human nobles, responds quickly to threats but can only afford it a moment's thought before resuming their petty bickering. I don't doubt they care for your plight, but I would also doubt they spend much time thinking past their noses. Fortunate for that master and mistress of this outpost, our charter says to establish order, and that starts with the only notable settlement in this harsh land." Eating quickly he falls quiet. Finishing his meal before excusing himself and finding a quiet place to pray; hitting a small anvil with a hammer causing a small spark while chanting in celestial. Preparing to strike the bandits will come after his obediences.

Eldon4
2014-11-08, 11:45 AM
Bu-Hak

"Right master, we'll make this an area where all peoples can live unmolested." As he finishes he clicks his beak shut for emphasis and goes back to his food.

Ebon Dragon
2014-11-08, 03:52 PM
Adea blushes at the compliment. "Ah, thank you. You're not so bad yourself, you know."
She digs in as the food is offered, deciding that she'd rather stuff food than her foot in her mouth. She smiles surreptiously as Svetlana scolds her husband, and internally presses the pun. 'To boot, hehehe'

Once she's reasonably sure she won't be giggling as soon as she opens her mouth, she prods their hostess for details. "So, now that we're properly seated, won't you tell us your names?"

JennTora
2014-11-08, 06:54 PM
Vega shrugs"I have no problem helping as long as we're here. Do your bandits show up fairly regularly?" he asks, dipping a hunk of bread in his bowl of stew.

dantiesilva
2014-11-08, 11:33 PM
As Hector remarks on how he must have been born under a lucky star Robert smiles to him. All depends on what crowd you ask. After all I know a few who would curse my names in the plane of the gods themselves. Robert chuckles thinking about the cold war he had been sharing with Sir John Ironhelm for so long. However that was in the past now, he would no longer sit ideal while the man threatened his very family, and to stop him he would have to gain more power and influence. To become loved by the commoners to a point where attacking him would be a death sentence.

However there was still a few people Robert was still worried about that may cause a problem with this plan. Mostly the strange creature who called himself Bu-Hak, for example what even was he? Asking would be rude, and may in fact enrage the animal, however he had to ask someone eventually. Perhaps one of the more learned characters he traveled with when they were alone. And why was it checking its feathers? Robert thought to himself, before his eyes feel upon the lovely young woman they had traveled with.

It is no big problem Adea, we all have our own ways of learning how to trust people. I see no reason to blame someone for not wanting to get to know people too well they may have to drive a weapon into in defense at least until they know that they wont need to sleep with a dagger under their pillow at least. Robert added kindly, however as the words left his mouth he knew immediately he had been rude and it may have come off across the wrong way. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say you would, only that it could happen. Robert says, more then happy as Hector seemed to come to his rescue. With a blade in his hand he could not be beat, however when it came to matters of the heart he had sadly not learned much.

As Vega questions about trouble at the outpost Robert finishes the food in his mouth before speaking up. Did you not notice the new reneverations when we were coming in for defense, Or the catapults for that matter? Add in the fact the charter says to take care of banditry as well. The one thing I have learned in my years of life is when a noble tells you something, they tell you simply half the story. The other half they hope you catch onto quick enough before it gets you killed. Robert explains before going back to his food, quickly finishing the bowl with a pleasant look on his face.

Ugh here we go again, better stop this before it gets out of hand. Robert thought as he held up his hands to Svetlana. Please Svetlana, there is no need for any of that, we are all equals here. Trying to tame a wild expanse of land, so long as I remain you will never need to speak to me like a noble. My family enjoyed being more, shall we say free with those below us, believing that at one point even the noblest kings were once somewhere down the line the poorest family. Robert says softly as to not offend her hospitality.

It was not long after Robert noticed the sounds of a hammer stop, and a new voice join them. So it is as I expected then, perhaps we can help you. After all we are to be the law of this land and tame it. Bandits who do not surrender shall be put to death as far as I am concerned. Robert says, paying close attention to all gathered to judge there own opinions. Its no surprise Hector is on, I can see very easily the two of us are of kindred spirit. Robert notes as the man offers to help with the bandit problem.

Günter was another matter though, he seemed to have other idea in mind. Günter what would your clan do instead? I am curious as I have not spent much time with dwarves in my very short life, and am curious of what they do in situations like these. Perhaps we could use them while we are here if they will help the people we are here to protect. After all without a safe place to return when we are weary or sick we are as dead as they would be with no one to protect them from bandits. Robert asks the dwarf, perhaps there were many things he did not know about the dwarven people. After all what little he knew was that they drank, were some of the best warriors, and loved almost anything that came out of the earth.

Bu-Hak I don't think this is the right place to say that. Its not exactly civil talk, especially when one is eating. I am sure you were not aware, so I wanted to let you know incase we ever had nobles around. Robert explained after he was done almost choking on the wine he had been drinking when the creature had spoken up.

The left Vega and Adea, and while Adea left them to wounder about what her feelings were on the bandit situation, Vega made it clear. Or at least he thought it was what he implied that he would help if they were there or it was convenient, however no more then that. Best to keep an eye on Vega, don't want to end up waking up to a bunch of bandits ready to kill me or worse. Robert told himself as he waited for their host, and Hostess to explain everything to them.

Eldon4
2014-11-09, 12:40 AM
Bu-Hak

"So you mean to tell me that nobles find it offensive to talk about being rid of a bandit problem while eating?" Bu-Hak asks without any noticeable difference to his facial features.

hiiamtom
2014-11-09, 01:30 AM
After a period of time, Günter emerges from his prayer and joins the group discussing the bandits and other things. Responding to Orlo, he says Our lives are long and we are valued by our commitments, not by the speed at which we rise to power. A dwarf king had little to worry about from the clans, his honor remains unimpeachable so long as he stays true to his land and people. If the bandits have emboldened their resolve, then there's likely a reason. Thugs and vagabonds agree too cowardly to provoke a response otherwise. The wisdom of three men's lives would result in a dwarf king crushing the source and not the symptom.

hiiamtom
2014-11-09, 03:27 PM
He then adds A dwarven king would also not rely on outside forces to defend their people's livelihoods!

dantiesilva
2014-11-09, 04:43 PM
Listening to Bu-haks words he can see the creature was confused at what he meant. Hoping to clarify it better he once again spoke up as he sat forward in his chair, his amber eyes looking into the beady black eyes of Bu-Hak. It is not proper in any social circle that I am aware of to speak of being molested or other such things. Now I understand you were speaking about having it not done, but it is the same either way. Robert says as he looks up to the sky, hoping that he had been a bit more clear with the creature, as he knew of no other way to explain it.

As Günter explains to Robert what a dwarven king would do, he takes it into consideration for a moment, his hand on his beard as if thinking. I believe that is a wise king then. However you are incorrect in the statement that the swordlords sent out outsiders. Most of us are from this land, and as such we are more then happy to defend its free people. Robert says to the old dwarf with a kind hearted smile. It seems that most of these people are good men and women, with good heads on their shoulders. Perhaps from this place I can push back at John from. Defying him and his family by rising to fame by taming the one place his entire family was never able to do, tame the Greenbelt. Robert thinks with a kind smile.

Turning his head to face the much older couple who lived here Robert asked the most important question he could think of. How long do we have until they will arrive? After all given a day or two they could perhaps set up a decent trap. It all depended on time though.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-09, 09:08 PM
"Well, whatever your reasons for being here; if you're gonna help with the damn fiends plaguing me and my wife. then you're welcome to stay free of charge for the night!" Oleg says, plopping down on the bench with his dinner.

They've been here three times before ..." Svetlana started to speak, a shadow grew across her face. "the first time..." She paused, and Oleg too, had a grim look on his face.

"The first time the bandits came was three months ago, and there were a dozen of the bastards." Oleg continued. They were lead by a lout of a man; stupid, crude, but he had a bit more brains than the rest of the bunch. But the women! That bitch!" Oleg face began to turn red. "That evil wench was clearly the ring leader. She was keen as a knife, and just as cruel. Kept threatening to chop off my legs with her two hatchets if we didn't behave... I would've fought'em but ... I couldn't with Svetlana there. Damn that women to the hells!" He slammed his fist on the table.

"Oleg ..." Svetlana said softly. She was rubbing her ring finger anxiously. Then continued to talk. "that women took my wedding ring as payment for 'not shortening Oleg's reach'. They made off with most of our wears. We thought they'd move on, but they were back again next month. They did the same routine, but there were only a little over half a dozen that time. And only the rude lout was leading them. She sighed. "By that time we realized they were here to stay, and they came again the next month too, same time, same day, less men, and only the brute to lead them."

"Aye and they'll be back tomorrow, it's getting to be that time..." Oleg finished. 'Look, you ain't own me nothin' but if you were to help drive'em off to tomorrow ... well, damn, I'd let you all stay free of charge for life!

gremlin-pult
2014-11-09, 09:49 PM
Hector sits in deep thought for a moment, chewing on the information Oleg and Svetlana has given them, then adresses the pair.
"I don't think that would work. the fact that they have come in smaller groups every time means that they think you've no fight left in you. Driving them of would prove the opposite, and they would simply return in greater force, with less mercy." He turns to the others, looking at them with a frown. Then, a smile grows across his face. "What we need, is to put a bit of fear in them. When they come here next, we should take one or two prisoner, and get as much information as we can about their group. But more importantly, we need to get rid of as many of them as we can. That will keep them from warning the rest of their group before we're ready. and scare the breath out of the ones we keep alive." Hectors smile grows bigger, a mischiveous glint showing in his eyes. He leans forward, making sure he has everyones attention, then continues "When they come, we need to get them all inside the wall. This means keeping out of sight until the right moment, so they don't get suspicious. We lure them inside. We close the gate. They surrender." He pauses, looking around once more. "Or they die"

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-09, 09:57 PM
Oleg nodded his head. "well, they're right, cowardly scum. I doubt they'd return if their party is wiped out. Like you say, we have no fight in us, so if someone fought back, then that mean trouble for them, and they stay out of trouble they can't handle. But I like your plan, you can even hide in the stables, it's got plenty of cover; they won't see you til it's too late. I'll act as bait to get them into the fort."

gremlin-pult
2014-11-09, 10:44 PM
Hectors smile turns into a frown when Oleg offers to be bait. "I don't like putting you in more danger than necessary.... But you are the best choice. they would be wary around a stranger... Hector trails of, falling into thought for a moment. He then reaches over and puts a hand on Olegs shoulder."If we do this, you would be best suited for the role, but only on one condition. The moment that gate is shut, you get out of sight and to safety. We will be the ones fighting, if it comes to that. You will stay by your wifes side. Understood?"

Hector turns his gaze to the others. "Of course, this is only if you all are in on the plan. If not, we can come up with something else."

Eldon4
2014-11-09, 11:52 PM
Bu-Hak

"While I do not disagree with your plan, presently, I do believe that it might be beneficial to allow one to escape in order that we may follow him to his compatriots and serve the law as write in the charters bestowed upon us. Namely, the expeditious cessation of their lives." After saying this, Bu-Hak pauses for a moment where you see the skin around his eyes scrunch into almost a smile, then he continues. "I would like to inquire, Sir Robert, is my speech now more amenable to noble sensibilities?"

JennTora
2014-11-10, 12:00 AM
"It sounds like a good plan, I'm in. Except for the letting one run part. Charming one of the captured ones and asking where his gang likes to camp and stalk people is a better plan." Vega says as he finishes his stew."Don't worry about it, Bu Hak. I thought the way you spoke before was just fine,"he adds with a smirk.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-10, 12:14 AM
"Perhaps letting one run would work. Problem is, that will only work if we can follow him unnoticed, and get the drop on the rest before he warns them" Hector scratches absently at his beard, mulling over the thought. "If not, they'll know what happened, and be back here with forty more thugs, or a hundred for all we know. Its worth considering, but I think the decision to let one go is one we should make after getting all the information we can from them. Maybe it won't be necessary." He smiles wistfully, chuckling to himself. "Then again, all that will be moot if trapping them fails. So perhaps we should plan for that first of all. What are you lot capable of then? I can feel we're a group of talent, but let's find out what talent that is, yeah?"
Hector spreads out his hands, standing up to appear suitably theatrical "I, for one, fancy myself a decent fencer, whether it be with sword or wit. And a great partner for festivities, both in and out of the silken sheets" The last bit he adds with a roguish smile, and a wink to Adea.

hiiamtom
2014-11-10, 10:27 AM
I admire the passion, but I will refuse to give quarter to curs who would threaten the stability of these lands. The land is soft, and the flesh is weak. Whatever cannot be gained from questioning we can make up by tracking their trail to come to this fort. I have followed the trail of creatures with softer paw on rocky terrain, and will guarantee success - especially if they have horses. Günter turns to Svetlana and adds We will return your wedding ring. In my home such bands represent the blessing Bolka has given our family, and knowing it is in the hands of some brutish wench would eat me alive.

dantiesilva
2014-11-10, 01:20 PM
As Oleg and Svetlana begin to explain what has been going on for the past three months now, and how they always came on the same day each month at the same time, Robert's mind began to work in overdrive. Thinking about possible plans, before dismissing some, while exploring others. After all a battle was normally not won by the strength of the army, nor its size. But how well prepared each one was for the other. As it stood, the odds seemed to be in their favor. A worse case scenario of it would be a one on one fight for each of them, best case it would become two on one. Then there was the fact they knew of the bandits and when they would arrive, while the bandits had no idea about them being here. If these bandits are like normal thugs, once their leader falls the rest should surrender. Meaning if anything we should focus on dispatching him first. However we also have to find a way to make sure Svetlana and Oleg do not get caught up in the fighting once it breaks out. After all if the bandits get their hands on one of the two it will become a hostage situation. And like the others said we could lock them in once they are all inside, but that leaves much open to gamble. After all if they do not all enter we risk those that stay outside fleeing to get the rest of their gang and come back to assault the trading post once more. Robert thinks to himself as he looks for the most favorable outcome.

It had come to no surpprise to Robert when Hector spoke up first saying much of what in fact he had thought of. I was thinking the same thing Hector however their are a few flaws in that plan. And while no plan can be perfect, we need to make sure there as few mistakes as possible as innocent peoples lives are at risk. As Robert says the last bit his hand extends, open palmed pointing towards Oleg and Svetlana. While locking the gate is a good idea, it requires them all to come inside. Something we can not guarantee. Robert says as he points to the two watch towers above the only entrance into the trading post. I think it might be best to at least have one of those two towers manned with an archer in case not all of them enter, this way the archer above can try to eliminate the ones who stay outside as a rear guard. Robert explains as he pulls out his dagger and begins drawing a rough outline of the fort in the dirt. We also have to think about how long we wait, wait to long and we place Oleg in danger of being found out, after all even the best lier has a hard time under pressure at keeping his cool. So which brings me to my next points. Oleg do you have a weapon of your own, and do any of you with me own a bow? Robert asks, as he slowly turns to look at all those assembled with him.

As Oleg points out that they could all hide in the stable, he looks at the distance from the stable, to all parts of the fort. No they could not all stay in there, it would risk to much. However if those who were not good at stealth hid inside, while the towers were mounted as well they could outflank them, as well as have the high ground. Getting ready to voice his thoughts he notices Hector had once again beaten him to the spot as the man said exactly what he had been thinking. It seemed the two would be close friends or bitter rivals by the time this was over with. It is when Bu-hak speaks once more that Robert looks confused for a second. There is nothing wrong with what we talk about when it comes to defending people Bu-Hak. Its speaking of some things like pillage and such that should not be spoken about in front of civilians. It is not good when people lose the will to fight, or are to afraid to. A battle counts on many factors, morale happens to be one of them. And the side with the most morale normally has a very large advantage. As to your statement about letting one go free, I doubt it will work. They would know we are following and hide their tracks to well, or bring us to their main camp where they could outnumber us. Robert says as he begins drawing 2 x's in the stable, 2 at the doors, and one in the left most tower, with an O in the center of the map. Okay so the X's on the map represent us, while the O represent's Oleg. I suggest we allow the bandits to get inside the walls first as we have all agreed would be best. Robert says as he uses his daggers to draw 5 B's on the map with arrows bringing them into the fort, while another stays on a hill outside the fort. I will assume that they will keep a rear guard as it would be the smartest thing they could do. When the others enter we will need to take out that rear guard and shut the doors as quickly as possible. In this regard I believe I could be of help with shutting the doors as long as we have them open most of the way as I am very good at blending into the shadows. If anyone else is at least halfway good at this as well I suggest you take the other side of the door. Once they enter the archer on the tower will have a very small window to eliminate the rear guard as we below slam the door shut, trapping the rest inside with us. Robert explains as he draws all this one the map, before having an arrow from the O on the map, running back to where he and his wife would be hiding, while an arrow comes out from all those in the stable to block of any chance of chasing after Oleg. Once we have them trapped inside, they will begin to feel fear, as such we must not let them get their morale back and will to fight. So we must eliminate there leader first. Once we have him subdued the rest should surrender immediately. Those who do not will be killed on site. Those who surrender, well lets worry about that after. However letting them go is the worst idea as they could come back to hurt Oleg and his wife another day. If we kept them here and made them work off their debt to Oleg and his wife that could be their punishment if they agreed. Those who refused would meet death. Robert finishes, as he sits back and exhales a long breath waiting to see what the others had to think about his plan.

As he goes silent he smiles as all the others seem to agree that letting one go would not be wise, and Günter even expresses that he may be able to track there horses if they were not willing to give up where they were hiding. This may just actually work after all. And so when asked what each could do, Robert looked up to Hector who seemed to becoming the face of their band and said simply. I can move around unnoticed so long as I have a decent amount of cover, and know any mans vital points so long as they are of guard and unable to stop me from getting to them. Trying to capture me with rope is almost pointless by this point due to all my time of practicing escape. And I am also both very observant and not half bad at telling when someone is lying to me. By no means as good as magic is at it, but when it comes to the plane mundane way I am adept at it.

Ebon Dragon
2014-11-10, 05:18 PM
"Look, I get that we're not letting them leave alive, but I don't want to capture one of them for questioning. There's nothing for us to offer them, and I don't really want to lie to someone we captured by telling him that we're going to let him live in exchange for information and then killing him afterwards. That's just cruel. The only thing we could really do is torture them, and I won't stand for that. It's one thing to kill someone in battle because they're bandits. That's all right with me, just fine, in fact. But some things are just wrong."

She thinks for a moment. "I think we should try to conserve our resources in the fight, and then after we've won, we follow their tracks. They'll probably lead us straight to the bandit camp."

She can't quite decide if she's attracted or repulsed by Hector. Some of his comments were... Yeah. But he had nice eyes. Hmm. And forearms. She'd deal with it later. Regardless. "As for what I can do, I'm a mage. I specialize in elemental magic and mind-magic: for now that means I'm dangerous at fairly close range, and can make bandits fall asleep if I don't try to kill them. I'm also not that good at hiding; I should probably be in that stable. Oh, and one more thing. I can make people fall slowly. So if we need someone to close the gate or stand in a tower and then jump down into battle, I could make sure he doesn't break a leg."

Eldon4
2014-11-10, 05:20 PM
Bu-Hak

"Robert I apologize, I was merely making sport with you about the speech and overly squeamish nobles, but as that has clearly has passed you without so much as a hello, I will get back to business. I and talented with blades and not so bad at hiding in the shadows. My tongue can be sharp, though lacks the talent of a true duelist and can act impulsively. I also have a shortbow at my disposal." Bu-Hak thinks for a moment and goes on. "As far as our plan if we can guaranty being able to follow their tracks back to their base, then that is better than letting one escape, for we will need to hit the base as quickly as possible. Scared or not this clever lady will bring the rest against us, if for no other reason than as a show of strength and to punish the temerity of opposing them."

gremlin-pult
2014-11-10, 05:53 PM
Nodding thoughtfully as the others describe what they are capable of, Hector scratches at his beard again, then adresses Adea "You misunderstand me, Adea. I did not mean we should torture any bandits we capture. That would make us less than animals. And we do have something we can offer them. A chance to be people again. A chance to get up every morning with the knowledge that they live of their own hard work, instead of the suffering of others. Some of those bandits do what they do because they enjoy it, that we know. But I am certain there are some who do it because they can see no other way. we should at least be prepared to offer them that."
With a bitter smile, he looks out the gate, eyes fixated on nothing. "Some people are simply bad. they deserve no quarter. but most people simply do what they believe they have to to survive. Desperation can make a good person do anything, believe me."
Rousing himself from his thoughts, Hector expression turns light once more, and his smile turns joyous. "We should at least try a give them a chance to be more than bandits"

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-11, 02:26 AM
"Truth be told I was thinking I'd string the bodies up on the walls. Let them know they ain't gonna be tolerated at my place no more." Oleg spoke up. "But I'll go along with whatever plan you think is best. You've got the whole night to prepare. Svetlana and I will get your rooms ready." The couple headed off towards the guest house.

hiiamtom
2014-11-11, 09:24 AM
I think our ideas are coming together! I have been given the gift of divine magic and the forge's flame, and while not mobile or athletic as I once was I will be a boon in this skirmish. Günter pats his armor and it makes a loud clank Just don't rely on my ability to hide! Ha-ha!

Günter starts wandering around the building checking viewpoints and cover with a bit of a frown. With Oleg's permission he reviews the supplies, and even walks outside the structure looking at the land immediately around it. Returning he speaks more of planning I agree the door would be unreliable. We'd have to be in a position to close the doors quickly while maintaining our surprise. If we wanted to make sure they don't leave easily, we should position a couple of you slippery lads outside and when the signal is given rush to fill the doorway. If we want to ensure the horses won't go anywhere we can light a fire in the grass outside as well. I somehow doubt these men have trained any mount for combat. Just a little oil and a small spark Günter makes a motion with his hand and lights an unlit torch across the room. It would be easy for me if I hide above the doorway on the second level behind the palisade. My eyes are sharp, I would be best suited as a lookout anyways.

JennTora
2014-11-11, 09:43 AM
"I don't think we should torture them either. It's a fairly well known fact that people who are being tortured for information often lie. But you'd be amazed what people will tell you if you just ask at the right time, such as when you've just beaten them in combat. As hector said, there's a lot we could offer them, even if none of them want to go straight, I'm sure they'd rather be imprisoned than executed."

Vega smiles at Adea
"I'm more of a conjurer, myself, but I like the idea of having someone around to compare notes with. I'm okay at hiding, not great.

To Oleg "well some of them will probably prove stubborn to the idea of giving up banditry, or die in the battle, so you could still do that. But things like that can sometimes inspire anger rather than fear. The woman you were talking about before, who threatened to cut off your legs, Sounds like the type who might take that sort of thing as a challenge."

Ebon Dragon
2014-11-11, 11:21 AM
"Imprisioning doesn't really seem an option though. Where'd you hold them? Who'd guard them? The only thing we can really do is let them go, and that's obviously not a good idea. 'Execution by sword or rope', remember? I guess we could ask them to tell us and kill them after, but that just seems wrong, you know?"

She kept referring to their hypothetical captive as 'them'. It was more impersonal that way.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-11, 11:40 AM
Hector is taken aback by Adeas words, but considers what she said, then sighs heavily "Perhaps you are right. Perhaps it is foolish to think about saving this place and the bandits both. I just don't like the idea of killing them all. Some of them might have the potential to become good, hardworking people, if only they're given the chance." He turns toward the gate, then continues "And since my plan was to settle in this land after we're done, I suppose I want it to be with a clear conscience. I don't mind fighting, or killing, but I don't relish the thought of building a home on the corpses of others. There's enough places like that already."

Ebon Dragon
2014-11-11, 11:52 AM
"I guess." She pauses, thoughtful. "No, I really see your point. I don't want the start of this thing to be us killing a bunch of people, bandits or no bandits. It's just that they are, in fact, bandits. I can't really see how we could trust them after we let them go. We'd probably need them to help setting up their farms or whatever honest work they'd be doing, and leaving them behind with Oleg and Svetlana while we go out to explore seems like a bad idea. Sure, they'd surrender and tell us whatever we want to hear if we win and corner the survivors, but how can we trust them not to start acting up as soon as we're out of sight? If'd killed decent people around here, or taken their goods by force, and someone came along, beat me up, and made me swear to clean up my life, I'd steal something and run soon as I could."

"It is a hard question though. I can see why you want to spare at least some of them. It's just that it doesn't seem all that realistic."

gremlin-pult
2014-11-11, 12:09 PM
"I suppose whatever happens, happens. Let's just make sure that we always think and talk about it. And make doubly sure that killing stays a necessity, never a first choice." Hector say with a shrug.
"Now, the plan. I'm thinking our feathery friend in the watchtower to keep an eye out, and to be ready with his bow if it becomes necessary. Whoever are confident in their hiding skills will hide beside the gate, ready to close it when the bandits are inside. I, for one will wait in the stables, ready to move out when the trap is sprung. Maybe we can do something more to tip the scales in our favor, but I am not sure what. Any suggestions to better the plan is of course welcome. I'm by no means a seasoned strategist." Hector says with a slightly embarassed smile.
He then starts mulling over the plan, drawing lines in the sand and mumbling to himself occasionally.
"Maybe a net, or a circle of fire..... no, thats stupid..."

hiiamtom
2014-11-13, 09:13 AM
Günter impatiently hits his palm against the table and says (not quietly)These be mere fools of men, not a king's militia! We waste our breath planning to death when a good sleep in a bed for the first time in days would benefit us more than trying to capture all the minutiae. Sometimes the chaos in the world must simply be confronted. As long as the master and msitress of this outpost have cover and we have arrows no man or beast should be able to escape no matter how things go.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-13, 07:59 PM
With battle plans laid out, the party were shown to their beds for the night. Oleg and Svetlana went to bed anxious, dreading the arrival of the bandit scum.

It was a cool morning. The fog rolled over the plains and through the old fort, bringing with them an unpleasant dampness. Everyone was in position, and not soon after the plopping of hooves on mud was heard.

"Heh, door's open lads. Looks like the ol' fool's finally got th' idea." A harsh voice spoke, his words were accompanied by a number of cruel chuckles. suddenly, the gate swung wide open with a loud creak. The overconfident bandits pushed it wide open, concealing Theodric and Howl behind each door. Selna and Sasaki peaked their heads over the ramparts and counted six bodies, including the man in green who seemed to lead them.

The ruffians arrogantly strode into the fort, completely oblivious to the ambush they were walking into. They stopped just short on the corner of the guest house and look around. "Looks like ol' Oleg's asleep lads. Now ain't that disrespectful, not greetin' yer guests an' all. The man in green spoke again, followed by a few more laughs from his men. [COLOR="#696969"] Oi, Oleg ye daft old man! Git out here! where's our dues, huh? Ye know we can always burn yer little fort down if it'll motivate ye!" He started to get angry.

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/13235/Happs.png

It seems as though the bandits were waiting for Oleg, a moment of utter quiet passed over the keep.

MAP (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BVstv189uxS0-G-O4z8sa116bhpUajzRgmP6pbvWg-A/edit?usp=sharing)

The party has a surprise round on the bandits.

MAP (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1VKfb8iFqDOoMiIpfrvlrTiSUVe_szhjAOa_3ggiGsrc/edit)

dantiesilva
2014-11-13, 08:31 PM
With the plans laid out for the next day Robert spent the rest of the day sharpening his Rapier and doing practice drills trying to close and lock the gate. After all nothing could go wrong or else someone may die. And so it was late into the night before he blew out his candle he had been using the light from to sharpen his blade. I will see you all in the morning, and good luck. Robert said as he walked out the door to their cabin and made his way to the gate. He wanted to make sure he had the perfect hiding spot and to do so he would sleep there all night.

That night Robert got very little sleep, always on edge even though he knew they would not be coming until the morning. Thankfully it was enough for him to be able to function when he heard the sounds of hooves coming towards the fort. One, two, three, four, five...at least a half dozen. Robert counted in his head, being brought up in a noble family around horses and such he had gotten accustomed to the sounds they made. It was not until they all walked into the fort however that Robert dare move. With a smile he began to as slowly as possible, begin to shut the door to the fort, hoping his ally on the other side was thinking the same thing to buy those in front more time, while allowing Oleg a chance to run.

Move action close the gate Standard ready action to lift the lock into place with ally on opposite side.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-13, 09:26 PM
Hmm, better make sure the attention is kept away from the gate until it's properly closed Hector thinks, and with that he strides over to the stable door, and out into the yard.

"Well, you were right about the stable Oleg. A wonderful place to sleep" He says as he walks out, dusting his hands before looking up at the bandits. "Huh, who's this then, Oleg? friends of yours?" He asks innocently, striding towards the group with his hand raised in a relaxed wave. "Good morning to you all. Doing some trading there?" He asks with a smile. As he walks he draws his sword, and stops in front of the nearest bandit. "Hello there, my name is Hector, and I'm the distraction" He says and, still smiling, he lashes out at the bandit with a quick slice.

Hector walks out the stable to square M13, draws his blade as part of the move action, and attacks the bandit in square N14.
Attack: [roll0]
Crit confirm: [roll1]

Damage: [roll2]
if crit, plus: [roll3]

Eldon4
2014-11-13, 11:17 PM
Bu-Hak

Bu-Hak has his own reason to be nervous facing bandits, and seeing Robert do drills he decides to do some himself and get rid of his anxious energy. Feeling better after the exercise he sleeps soundly, and rises early. Bu-Hak perfects his hiding spot as the sun begins to rise and he settled in to wait.

In a display of uncanny coordination Bu-Hak begins closing his door at the same moment as Robert. As the other man sets the lock into place Bu-Hak draws his swords to protect him in case any bandit noticed the gates.

hiiamtom
2014-11-14, 12:05 AM
Günter apologized for his outburst and said he was just tired and went to bed. He was surprised how comfortable even the most modest of accommodations could be after a long trip, and got some good sleep before the group prepared for the bandit approach. He was glad he says his prayers in the evening when morning came.

Knowing he already committed to this task, getting to the Stolen Lands was a lot different than actually starting the task of settling it. Günter never waivers in his commitment but rising early (and sore) from the first bed he had used in quite some time only to work his way back into his armor and climb a ladder to ambush some bandits before a good meal left plenty of time to stew while chewing on a portion of a ration for breakfast. It was just dawning on him that it was rude how he didn't say even a single word to his comrades this morning when a new voice rang out from the (presumed) bandit leader. His contemplation was snapped and he went into action. As soon as he heard the creaking of the gates he clasped Angradd's symbol with his hands and loudly sang out a dwarven prayer asking for swift and efficient victory over the lawless - casting Bless. He has no time to stand before the battle had begun.

Bless:
Bless provides a +1 morale bonus on attack and saving throws against fear effects. It will easily last the whole fight, so remember to add 1 to every attack roll! The only person outside the range of the effect is Adea and possibly Vega because Günter is above the ground.

Initiative - Master Tactician:
Because of Günter's Master Tactician ability everyone within earshot will gain +1 on their initiative rolls. This has been added to Günter's sheet already, but I just wanted to be sure it is added to everyone else's when initiative is rolled.

Ebon Dragon
2014-11-14, 04:39 AM
Adea edges closer to the door, poised to move as soon as Oleg gets out of the way.

She moves five feet to the left.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-15, 12:41 PM
Hector, catches the bandits off guard, and cut deeply into the ruffian. He howled in pain and fear. The other bandits were stupefied. They fumbled to draw there weapons as the unexpected events began to unfold.

Immediately, Oleg ran towards the main house. He was not a fighter, and put his faith in the adventurers that they would succeed.

Full-round action - withdraw.

Adea [19]
Robert [15]
Gunter [15]
Vega [15]
Bu-hak [9]
Hector [9]

Bandit 5 [6] -16 hp (down)
Bandit 3 [5] -11 (down)
Bandit 4 [5]
Happs Bydon [2] -11 hp (disabled)
Bandit 2 [-1] -11 hp (down)
Bandit 1 [-2]

MAP (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BVstv189uxS0-G-O4z8sa116bhpUajzRgmP6pbvWg-A/edit?usp=sharing)

I am going to keep marking where your character tokens are, until you get used to what they look like. I will use the same token through the game, unless you say otherwise.

Vega - J10, Hidden in stable
Adea - O10, hidden inside store room.
Guntner - K20, on top of walkways, cast bless
Robert - O20, Shut gate
Bu-Hak - P20, Shut gate
Hector - M14, attacked bandit

Ebon Dragon
2014-11-15, 01:03 PM
Adea springs into action, now that Oleg is out of the way. "AAAAHHH!" She's unaware of her own shrill warcry as she leaps into position, leveling her staff on the leader and the men behind him. Oh gods, they have swords, Oh gods, Oh gods! Can't hit Hector - here we go. She rattles off the incantation, and a burst of sapphire blue flames erupt from the crystal at the end of her staff, engulfing the bandits and missing Hector rather narrowly.

I'm banking on the leader not having combat reflexes. If he does have the feat I provoke an AoO. Otherwise I avoid it because he's flat-footed.

Move action to O12, Oleg's prior position.
As my standard, I'm using burning hands, and a charge off of my Versatile Evocation to turn it into cold damage for style points.
Anyway, the four front bandits (leader included) take [roll0] fire damage, Ref DC17 for half.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-15, 01:24 PM
The cold flames engulfed the hapless bandits. Their sudden screams were cut short as they fell to the earth, their flesh blackened by the freezing magic.

"Dear gods they got a bloody archmage!" One of the bandits still standing shouted!

Bandits 5, 3 and 2 plus Happs Bydon are down.

Happs is still conscious however.

This info has been added to the initiative spoiler.

EDIT: The map has been updated: creatures circled in black are non-combative or are in no position to fight

dantiesilva
2014-11-15, 01:49 PM
As the gates are closed tight, and their plan comes to fruition Robert watches with fascination as Adea in one blow incapacitates almost all of them. Seeing this as their best chance to get prisoners Robert draws his blade as he takes a step forward directing it at the remaining bandits. If you value your lives I advise you to lay down your swords and admit surrender. Refuse and you will die here and now, accept and we are willing to talk. Robert finishes as he looks to Adea with a smile and adds, Then again we could always have our archmage turn you into frogs. he says trying to scare them by using their own fears.

[roll0]

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-15, 02:12 PM
Utterly demoralized at their leader's downfall, the remaining bandits dropped their weapons and knelt on the ground. They then raised their hands in surrender.

Ebon Dragon
2014-11-15, 02:17 PM
Adea tried to school her features into a vaguely threathening sneer. If she opened her mouth she'd say something stupid. The others could decide what to do with their new prisoners.

Eldon4
2014-11-15, 02:51 PM
Bu-Hak

Disappointed at the lack of fighting, Bu-Hak will sheath the saber keeping his bastard sword out just in case. He'll slowly approach the surrendering bandits and allow someone else to take the lead on what to do with them.

JennTora
2014-11-15, 03:30 PM
Vega rushes out, ready to cast a spell, only to look rather silly as the last couple of bandits surrender. It works I suppose, I didn't lose any spells, heck, Adea only lost one. I'd say it worked out perfectly. I kind of wanted to watch them fall on their butts from a grease spell, though. Eh, another time.

"hm... Well that was easier than I thought. Half of us didn't even get to do anything. Guess you were right, Gunter."

Vega said no more, he could have charmed one, but that would use up the magic in his staff, which he would prefer to conserve. So he waited to see if anyone else could persuade them without magic to share their camp location.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-15, 04:10 PM
A bit startled by how quickly the combat, if you could call it that, was resolved, Hector glances at Adea. Hmm, methinks this is one of those women were copious amounts of respect is in order to keep my skin He thinks, then rouses himself from his thoughts.
"Wonderful work, fair Adea. It was also fortuitous that you only had need for one of your weaker spells" He says this casually, to reinforce the idea that Adea is indeed much more powerful than the bandits can imagine.

Hector then walks over to the bandit who seems to be their leader, and crouches down in eye height with him, a friendly smile on his face.
"Now, I think you and I need to talk. First of all, we had no wish to harm you. It happened because we could not allow you to harass our good hosts. So if you work with us, you can rest assured that no more harm will come to you from us." Hector sweeps out his arm, indicating his companions "Furthermore, my companions and I are here in the Greenbelt for a number of reasons. One of those reasons is to take care of the bandit activity here. So we would see it as a gesture of good faith from you if you told us about the rest of your gang, and were your hideout is. If you do, we will make sure you are looked upon kindly, and perhaps you will be allowed a certain leniency in your sentences. You could probably work of the debt of what you've stolen, and after that you would have the chance to start fresh on the right side of the law. No more running, nor hiding. You could live with your heads held high, as honest people." Hector meets the gaze of each of the bandits in turn, making sure they understand that the offer stands for each of them.

dantiesilva
2014-11-15, 07:55 PM
I think it would be best to tie them all up first before trying to speak to any of them. Hector do you mind collecting their weapons and handing them over to Oleg for the time being? Robert asks him kindly as he looks to Adea and Bu-Hak to hopefully keep the rest scared long enough. Can you also ask him where he keeps his rope? Robert says to Hector as he waits for rope to be put in his hand. And once it is he quickly gets to work binding all of their enemies up.

Looking over his work and tugging here and there to make sure it was not lose he went over to the two bandits that were still awake. As my friend just said we are not against allowing some of you to live if we believe we can trust you, however at the same time we have to make sure you wont cause a risk to Oleg and his wife. So lets start with something simple. Robert says looking to Vega. I think it would be best to question them one on one, this way we do not need to worry about them all saying the same story. And it will also allow me to be able to tell if any are lying easier if I question them one at a time. Would you mind coming with me. After all our strongest warriors have to keep an eye on the rest of them. Robert asks the other mage in the group before looking to the others if Vega agreed. Please try not to kill them unless you have to. He says before bringing the first person off to a side area to begin questioning.

As you know we are offering you a chance at a new life. But like all things, rebirth comes at a price, and while I do not find it to be a step price you may. Shall we begin? Robert asks as he pulls out a piece of paper and a writing utensil. First I would like your name, not the one you got working as a bandit, but your real name. After all if you wish to start a new life, you must cast of old chains. Robert explains kindly, his blade always at the ready. And why is it you became a bandit? This may seem like an odd question given my previous statement but please bare with me. Robert says as he keeps his eyes focused on the man, looking for any tell tale signs. The next question is more of a two parter. First how many people have you killed, and would you attack an innocent? Robert asked wanting to cover all his bases. Lastly Robert comes to the most important question. Where is your base.

Robert will ask each of the bandits these questions.

Sense motives Bandit 1 [roll0]

Sense motives Bandit 2 [roll1]

Sense motives Bandit 3 [roll2]

Sense motives Bandit 4 [roll3]

Sense motives Bandit 5 [roll4]

Sense motives Happs Bydon [roll5]

Eldon4
2014-11-15, 10:40 PM
Bu-Hak

Bu-Hak will lock his beady eyed stare on the most nervous seemingly bandit and ask with no particular inflection, "So, which one of you is going to run? Cause see I get to kill those that run."

hiiamtom
2014-11-15, 10:56 PM
Ha-Ha! Great work, girl! You put those unwerten in their rightful place! While the others deal with getting the bandits to talk, Günter scrambles down to the ground to make sure the leader and other downed enemies are stable before saying Which one of you young men can tie the tightest knots? These three will wake up eventually.

Heal for if not stable:
Leader: [roll0]
Bandit: [roll1]
Bandit: [roll2]

Günter then thoroughly searches the belongings of the leader and others looking for usable goods and anything that might explain something about the bandits or their hierarchy while saying, Strip those curs. If we are judge and jury, then our prisoners will be heard out but deserve no chance to retaliate. When they talk they can have their clothes back and the majority rule will decide their fate. I appreciate your intentions, lads, but let's not get a dagger in the ribs between now and then. A little humility would do them good anyways... Svetlana and Adea may want to turn away if they please.

JennTora
2014-11-16, 02:57 AM
"Sure." Vega says simply at Robert's request and follows Robert and the captured... And now naked apparently, brigand.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-16, 04:26 PM
"Don't you bastards say a damn word to these curs." The leader spat out as he laid on the ground. He reached in vain for his dagger as it was kicked away from him. "These louts ain't got the guts to finish ye off, but you know Kressle will flay yer hide slower than an arch-devil, and enjoy it too!"

The others looked around at their captors anxiously, before one spoke up.

"Well yeah. That's why we're done puttin' up with her! It was one of the uninjured bandits. "Me name's Tomas, I came down 'ere cause they ain't no honest work left in tha' city! That's my story. The camp we use is south o' here. Ye can gut every last one of tha' bastards for all I care. I ain't want nothing to do with'em no more if'n the crown is trying to claim tha' land back!"

gremlin-pult
2014-11-16, 06:03 PM
As Tomas talks, Hector smiles encouragingly at him. "Thank you for telling us, Tomas. Now, can you tell us how many bandits there are in the hideout? and if there's anything special we should know about them, or your leader. Kressle, was it? Is that the woman who has been here with you before?"

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-16, 06:12 PM
"Aye, she's tha' one. There ain't gonna be more 'en twelve boys back at our camp, plus Kressle. But she has most of us out huntin' or patrolin' tha' roads for marks. IF ye hurry, ye can probably get her while the guards 're out'n about. Else she might be thinkin' somthin's up when we don't get back to base."

dantiesilva
2014-11-16, 07:47 PM
As the leader begins to threaten those under him Robert turns a most frighting glare unto him as he looks up to Bu-Hak. It seems that you have volunteered to show those who can not be trusted what awaits them. Bu-Hak whenever you are ready. Robert says as he looks at the bandit leader. He would not allow this man, or any other scare there people into submission. As for this Kressle, she will get what is coming to her as well. Those who wish to live the lives of a bandit shall die as a bandit, I promise to all of you though that even if you do not renounce your ways, so long as you do not fight you will have a swift death, painless even. Robert says kindly to them, letting them all know that everything was up to them in the long run, and that they did not have to take the option of reformation.

And so Robert is not surprised when one of them finally speaks up. Tomas is it, odd that you tell us that you left the city as there was no honest work there only to become a bandit out here. And I am not sure about the others but you became a turncoat very quickly, almost to quickly. Robert says trying to keep a straight face before bursting into laughter. Just playing with you Tomas, if you are willing to start a new then you are more then welcome to try with us. However know that there will be no second chances as this is it right now. A new life. Robert says looking to his allies for agreement.

What unnerves Robert the most however and left a nagging feeling in his gut was the simple fact of what they had all learned thanks to Hectors question. Could they take on more then double their own forces? And if not should they risk trying to make a dead run and take her out first or instead stabilize their footing around Oleg's, perhaps even making their own traps to slow down and harm the bandits. After all their was nothing a little hard work couldn't fix. A man is not a man unless he strives to make the world he lives in a better place my father once told me. It was how our family came to be nobility. I think if what our friend here says is true that we should stay in the immediate area trying to lay down a few traps, as well as reinforcing Oleg's so that when we are attacked we can control the battle like this one. Archmage Adea, you we were talking about that circle of death the other day, do you think if given enough time to prepare we could make it more deadly? Robert asks speaking about the wall of fire they had planned to make with oil and a spark spell, but the bandits didn't need to know that.

Eldon4
2014-11-16, 08:46 PM
Bu-Hak

"Thank you for volunteering for our demonstration," Bu-Hak says almost kindly as he raises his sword. He then executes the bandit leader.

Damage: [roll0]

If he lives: make a fort save DC- 10+damage

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-17, 01:12 PM
With a quick slice, the bandit leader falls limp to the ground, his blood seeping into the mud beneath him. The other bandits are frozen in fear.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-17, 02:43 PM
Feeling that this is a good time to reinforce their fear with a bit of trust, Hector turns to Tomas and the other bandit.
"That." He says, pointing at their leaders bleeding remains "Is what happens to bandits from now on. If you are truly willing to make up for your misdeeds, you have nothing to fear" He chuckles lightly and gives them a friendly, open smile, completely breaking the tension "Unless, of course, you are afraid of honest, hard work. If you are not, then you will have a place in society"

Ebon Dragon
2014-11-17, 03:22 PM
"Look, we don't really want to kill you all that much. We've gone through quite a lot of trouble to refrain from doing so, that much should be obvious to you. You represent quite the security risk, and at present we have little reason to have faith in you. But some of us - " She pauses as if to signify that she might not include herself in that group, "Would really like to try. So I guess I'd like you to give us some more reason to trust you. Ironically, the best thing you can do to make that happen at this point is to betray your friends. But who knows, this might be your one chance to make better friends." She pauses, re-organising her train of thought. "Anyway, I guess what I'm asking for is intel. Who's your leaders, camps and your main camp, do you have any special passwords, that sort of thing. Anything you think we'd like to know, really."

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-18, 07:56 PM
The bandit scrawls a rough sketch of a map, which marks the general location of the bandit camp. recovered from the bandit leader is an odd ornament. An amulet, wrought of fine silver and molded in to the shape of a stag's skull.

"Well bless me heart." Oleg said as he emerged from his home. "You six are real heroes, ya hear! You can stay here anytime you like, no charge! And here!" Oleg raised a small basket up and handed it to the adventurers. "There's a little somethin' extra for your efforts. I insist!"

Then the gruff man returned to his customary scowl as he scanned over the bandits. ""Not sure what I'll do with these louts. We got word reinforcement were coming out here to garrison the place, but until they get 'ere I don't want'em to cause trouble!" He sighed. "I'm sure we'll manage if'n we keep'em tied up til the guards get here. I s'pose yer headin' out to slay the rest of the foul lot. Well, if ye are, take a look at that board over there, couble o' bounties came by with the message that said you six were coming out here. couple of'em are mine too. You might also want to check in with old Bokkon. Lives in a shack to the east, just south of the road. He's a bit crazy, but he's got a talent for potion making, and I mean the magical kind."
After Oleg is done speaking he begins to bark orders at the bandits. The adventurers had the rest of the day ahead of them, it was not even noon.

Wanted: Bandits
Task: The bandits in the Greenbelt need to be
shown that their actions will not be tolerated.
Capture or defeat at least six of them to send
a message.
Completion: Any six bandits defeated completes this
quest.
Reward: 400 gold pieces to be delivered within
one week of the slaying.

Kobolds in the Hills
Task: The Sootscale kobolds dwell in a cave
somewhere in the Kamelands. Normally not a
problem, they’ve been riled up by something lately.
Find their lair and ensure that the kobolds aren’t
going to continue being a threat.
Completion: Either slay the kobolds or forge an
alliance of peace with them. Send word to Restov
or a representative of Restov for your reward.
A representative will verify the threat has been dealt
with.
Reward: The Swordlords are prepared to pay 800
gold pieces to see the situation resolved.

Wanted: Tatzlwyrm
Task: The way everyone talks about tatzlwyrms,
one might think they’re swarming throughout the
Stolen Lands. This isn’t the case; they’re actually
quite rare. A tatzlwyrm head would be a great
conversation piece at Oleg’s. He has promised a
reward for anyone who can deliver one.
Completion: Slay a tatzlwyrm and deliver its head
to Oleg.
Reward: Oleg will pay 600 gp for a relatively
undamaged tatzlwyrm head.

Wanted: Tuskgutter
Task: Every Greenbelt hunter has a story about
Tuskgutter, each wilder than the last. Whoever
manages to kill the ill-tempered beast will get a
nice reward from old, retired Vekkel Benzen, who
lost his leg to the monster pig a year ago.
Completion: Deliver Tuskgutter’s head to Oleg’s.
Reward: Vekkel has promised his masterwork longbow
and six +1 animal bane arrows to whoever can kill
Tuskgutter. He also promises to share the head
cheese he plans to make out of this trophy

Experience: 1,010 total. 168 Experience for all party members

- Loot -
Leather Armor x7
Longbow x6
Dagger x1
Shortsword x6
Composite Longbow (STR +2) x1
Alchemist Fire x2
Trail Ration, x14
Strange Silver Amulet x1
60gp
Horse x6

- Oleg -
50gp
Potion of Cure Light Wounds x2
Potion of Shield of Faith +2 x1

Map document in the OOC thread has been updated. Let me know if you have any difficulties deciphering it, or just plain can't even open it. Let me know if you're grabbing nay of the bounties, and I'll add them to the quests tab in the OOC thread

gremlin-pult
2014-11-18, 08:24 PM
"I'm glad we got things solved without too much trouble. But there certainly seems to more than enough to do around here. We shouldn't get bored anytime soon"

Walking over and studying the bounties on the board, Hector taps the bandit bounty with a finger. "This one should be easy enough to fulfill. It will practically solve itself when we handle the rest of this gang." He smiles to the others, then sits down at the table, and cleans his sword. "I think we are going to be one hell of a team. It'll be something for the storybooks."

dantiesilva
2014-11-19, 12:16 AM
As the bandits make a very rough map Robert looks over at it before looking to the bandits, as the silver stag necklace appears from the body of their dead leader. I don't take it any of you happen to know what this is due you? Robert says, holding the necklace on the edge of his blade in front of the bandits. It's clear he was the leader of this band so he would have something finer then the rest. But how he spoke it sounded like he answered to this woman, perhaps this was a symbol of second in command, kind of like with coin. Gold, silver and copper. Robert mused in his head as he looked at the strange object, and allowed each of the bandits to do the same.

However just as he was about to voice his thoughts the sound of Oleg's voice coming from his home reached his ears. Hearing the mans words as he walked over to the group and gave them the gifts, and explained to them that they could stay there for free from now on Robert kindly smiled to the man as he took the basket and placed it onto the table they ate on, along with the other items they had gained. Thank you very much Oleg, that is very kind of you and your wife. However we have come into a small dilemma. You see all these men have surrendered, and we are willing to let them start anew. However we do not wish to risk you or your wife being harmed again. Now while some of us could stay here while the rest of us send for troops to guard this place I was wondering what you thought. After all this is your home. Robert explained to the man kindly as he looked back at the bandits.

As Oleg explains that guards were actually already coming a smile began to dawn on the noble's face. That is excellent news Oleg, once the troops arrive you can place these men to hard work to pay back their debt to society, and in time if they so choose to make a better life for themselves. Isn't that right Tomas. Robert asks as he looks to the one who had called himself Tomas earlier, and had been the first to help them. Then he turns to address the others. I don't think it would be wise to go and attack at this moment. While we would hold the element of surprise, it would leave Oleg and his wife in a very rocky state. If they were attacked we wouldn't be able to help them and they would die. We know more troops are coming, so perhaps we stay in this general area until they do arrive? Explore a half days out in each direction this way we have a rough lay of the land? I know this will ruin our chances of catching her off guard, however it will put my mind at ease knowing Oleg and his wife sleep safely while we are away. Robert explains as he looks to the others for approval.

Storybooks, I think you are thinking to small my friend, I always planned on going down in history myself. Robert joked before looking to the others. Besides with an Archmage on our side the chances of going down in stories and not becoming legends is very far fetched. Robert says with a small bow to Adea. I guess all that is left is deciding what to do with all of this. Robert explains as his arms go over all the things they had collected off of the bandits. Slowly he picks up one of the bows and tests its pull. The sound of him huffing as he tries to pull the bow back can be heard just before a loud snap as the string is released and it cuts into his skin. Bu-Hak perhaps you have the strength for something like this, to much for me. Robert says as he looks to one of the simpler bows. Testing it out he smiles, And after the lessons we learned here, I think we all should at least keep a bow just in case.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-19, 02:18 AM
Considering Roberts words, Hector puts his sword away and takes up one of the simple longbows.
"Perhaps you are right, Robert" He says as he pulls the bowstring back testingly. "Gods, it's been a dog's age since I used one of these..." He mutters, then turns to the others once more. "Being properly prepared, and settling in as well as possible in the immediate area is probably better than moving quickly, in hopes of surprising them. Besides, if we stay a while, we will have the opportunity to get to know each other, both concerning how we best fight together, and more personally. Trade some stories and such" He says with a chuckle.

Looking at the group more appraisingly, Hector continues. "I think making up some tactics for the group would be wise. So we will be able to react to situations more quickly, and lessen the risk of getting on the way of stray blades, or..... sudden bursts of blue
mage-fire" He says the last part with a wry grin, and a sidelong glance at Adea, before carrying on "We should also make some decisions about who should "lead" the group. I personally think it should be a loose role, being taken by the one most suited in the given situation. For example, when we're in the wilderness, the one with the most knowledge and experience with that has the final call in decisions. I think it is something we need to decide clearly now, so we won't have when we're in the thick of things."

Licking his lips, hector grins sheepishly "Hah, I don't usually talk that much without a drink in my hand and a wench in my arms. Anyone else parched? I could go for a beer"

Eldon4
2014-11-19, 03:41 PM
Bu-Hak

"I suppose our legend shall be one of sitting around waiting for reinforcements before we can do anything," Bu-Hak says then turns to Hector, "sorry, at times my beak speaks before consulting me. I do think it is wiser to attack the camp now, or at least check it out. If our friend here is telling the truth, then by waiting we are loosing the element of surprise and allowing out enemy to consolidate it's force. From what I know of tactics, attacking a defensible position when the defenders outnumber you 2 to 1 and you don't have surprise is a bad idea."

Bu-Hak will then take the bow offered from from Robert, and slowly test the draw. "Yes, I think I can use this bow." He then turns to Oleg, "Thank you for the gifts and offer of board it is most generous. I wonder if I might trouble you for something to eat after we finish sorting this gentlemen out," Bu-Hak indicates the bandits with a nod of his head as he says this. Turning fully to the bandits again Bu-Hak will finish speaking by saying, "Now then, you lot need to hurry and decide because I'm hungry and any that haven't decided whether to turn over a new leaf or not by the time I am ready to eat, I will assume they are planning to remain bandits and punish them accordingly." He'll then adjust his sword on his shoulder and wait.

dantiesilva
2014-11-19, 09:31 PM
As Hector and Robert seem to agree on the current situation, Robert is more then pleased as he looks up to the sky above to tell the time.About high noon, we should wrap things up with those that have still not given us an answer before thinking about doing anything else. Robert thinks to himself, quietly musing over how the events could turn. However when Bu-Hak speaks he can not help but hear the contempt almost in it. Bu-Hak I understand what you are saying and to an extent I agree with you. However the fact remains that we are leaving people here all alone with those who only moments earlier wanted to steal from them and kill them if necessary. Robert says patiently before continuing. There is also the fact that we could have been lied to, and their is no camp their. If that is the case then we are in a worse situation then we originally started as while the enemy will no doubt know by now something happened at Olegs and have sent reinforcements to take the trading post, we will be at the least a two days march from it, and that's without getting lost. Robert explains to the creature, so far it had shown a thirst for blood, and skill with a blade, however no discipline or control when it came to tactics. Now while you have a point about attacking them while the camp is full being foolish as well think on this for a moment, they will either come and attack us here, where we can have traps laid out in advance, maybe even the reinforcements. And if they stay in their fort they are basically under siege and will only come out when they have to for food and water, and even then it would no doubt be rare of them. From what we have heard of their leader however I doubt she would sit idle and wait for long. Robert says with a smile that shows he studied at least some form of tactics in his life, And the only time they would have the advantage over us is when they are on the move, other then that they are at our mercy. Robert says hoping this would reassure Bu-Hak that rushing into a battle without any plan would be foolish, and could cost some of them their lives.

When the topic changes to getting to know one another and each others tactics so they could work as a single unit Robert Bows his head towards Hector. You didn't happen to study under a Sir Randolp of the white flame did you Hector, our methods seem very close to being the same in the matter of tactics. Robert states as he wounder a little more about these peoples pasts. Even going so far as to think about making a leader so quickly, interesting. While I am good in certain situations perhaps Adea should take the role as leader. Bu-Hak is to quick with his blade, and both you and I Hector seem to be more fit for making tactics that will help aid the leader. Robert notes as he turns to Adea to see if she would take the role, after all as a noble he knew what it was like to lead, and though it was a burden he could handle, it was one he rather not have thrust upon him.

As the topic changes at last to food, and what to do with the bandits Robert draws his rapier once more and cleans the blade as he lets Bu-Hak do the talking, after all they had made it very clear that Bu-Hak had no problem killing any of them, to interfer would make him look weaker and if his station could be challenged.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-20, 10:54 AM
AS if by magic, no sooner than the toopic of food was brought up, Svetlana burst forth from the house with breakfast. She was shocked at first, seeing the dead bandits lying in the dirt. It caused her smile to fade, but she still promptly delivered the food to the table, tanking the heroes once again for their help.

hiiamtom
2014-11-21, 09:58 AM
We have proven ourselves more capable when outnumbered by these churls, Robert. Now is the time to strike quickly and hard to the satellite camp who are still expecting these men today or tomorrow. There is literally no risk to the outpost from these bandits if we move now. A fight with the bandits here is the exact opposite, putting Oleg's livelihood and home in jeopardy. We need to mount their horses and ride after breakfast. Günter's sour face expresses the stubborness he would express on the issue if/when it is pushed further. I am fine leaving Oleg in charge of these men bound and stripped of armaments, and if he feels they even have a hint of rebellion left in them then he has the ability to deliver his vengeance and remove that threat. I continue to find the good your young-uns find in all people, but we need to gain control of the area before returning here and finalizing their fates - be it their freedom or their deaths.

Günter's disposition brightens when Svetlana arrives with food for the party, We apologize for the mess, dear. I believe Vega or Adea can remove the gore for you. Thank you for the meal, the land appears to hold few bounties but your provisions don't seem to reflect it at all!

Over a meal the decision has to be finalized. Günter and Bu-Hak seem to have a consensus on the next action to take, and Robert and Hector seem to have taken a different stance. A democratic solution is required.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-21, 11:18 AM
"Hmm. I suppose finding their camp is a possibility, if its this close to here" Hector says, although he still looks a bit doubtful. "As long as we can make absolutely sure that they don't pass us and come here..."

dantiesilva
2014-11-21, 01:08 PM
As Günter explains his point of view he wonders if only humans held any thought. Seems those two are more interested in glory then anything else. However if we split up both parties are due to die, and if we all leave we risk Oleg and his wife dying, same goes for if we stay here. Robert thinks to himself as he slowly eats his food with the grace of a noble, think Robert what factors can you alter to better you, while still going to the camp and keeping everyone together? The noble says to himself as he goes over a million different scenarios inside his mind. From what I know of dwarfs they are slow to move, and always think out their plans accordingly Master Günter. Robert says calmly as the dwarf speaks again. And while your words hold truth to them, it is frankly not Olegs job to take care of these men, nor should their blood be on his hands should we run off because of some of us seeking glory and fame quickly. When you rush, mistakes are made. And at the moment while the enemy doesn't know we are here, I will completely agree with you on that, by simply charging in we are putting ourselves at a huge disadvantage. Robert says, now he knew why the swordlords could never agree on anything, politics. Listen, if we rush in we are now underestimating them and their defenses. Even if we take their camp, there is no promise that they will all be there as we were told, meaning we either have to wait for the others to get back, or lose the element of surprise and leave them the camp with their dead comrades inside. Robert explains not liking either idea very much. There is also the chance that all of them are their, and one of us may die do to rushing at them, honestly I doubt you have enough self control to allow me time to scout the place before charging in to arrow fire and more of these. Robert says shaking a bottle of alchmeist fire. Since most of us seem to be set on leaving I suggest this then. Robert says as he turns to look at Oleg, Is their any place in this fort we could toss all of them and be able to lock them in from the inside, this way they would pose no risk to you. They would remained tied up, however I would suggest leaving them inside until either we come back or reinforcements arrive. This way there is no chance of funny business, we allow them to eat now, and place a waterskin filled inside. This will at least keep them alive until we return, can we all agree on this? Robert asks hoping that by stepping back and allowing things to be done the opposite way he hoped it would not lead to their death in the long run.

Thats what I fear to Hector, however we can not split up, and we can not force the others to stay here, so if anything happens to Oleg and his wife the blood is on them. Robert says patting the man on the back.

Eldon4
2014-11-21, 04:06 PM
Bu-Hak

"If your family is as blindly devoted to caution as you seem to be Robert, then I understand now why they are in enough trouble to send you here. We are are not seeking glory or fame, we simply see a problem and are actually willing to take action to stop it instead of waiting and hoping it will magically be less of a problem later. You act as if you smarter than the rest of us and yet he need to spell out the obvious such as locking up the bandit, and act as if you have had some great insight. I think I speak for everyone when I saw none of us want to blindly assault the camp and are willing to scout the place first, but in order to do that we have to actually have the stomach to head there, when the threat here is the smallest, and frankly I'm not sure your brave enough to actually scout the place should we go. This is the most sound tactic for this situation, just as waiting was the most sound tactic this morning." With that Bu-Hak will turn to his meal, disgusted by the coward Robert seems to be. "Madam Svetlana this meal is delicious, and I shall survive this day if for no other reason then partake of your cooking again."

hiiamtom
2014-11-21, 06:07 PM
Günter packs his things in his cart and readies one of the bandit's horses for riding while arguments continue. He joins back in after Bu-Hak has some harsh words, Even if the bandits left within an hour of arriving it would still take them the rest of the day to reach their base camp if nothing went wrong. There is no reason for an organized military to prepare a second wave in less than 48 hours, much less some lazy vagabonds! We will return after raiding the camp, I don't care if you ease your concerns by feeding the prisoners or not. They are not my ward.

dantiesilva
2014-11-22, 01:10 AM
As Bu-Hak mentions his family having to be in such a situation as to send him because of how cautious they were Robert almost lunged at the creature before him. Fellow bearer of the charter or not. However looking like they were weak right now was not wise in front of the bandits, it would only inspire rebellion and then turning each of them against each other later. As I said before Bu-Hak I think my moves ahead of time, as do my family it is for that reason why we are here. Robert says holding back the anger in his voice just barely. The prisoner situation was also factored in, but tell me did you think about the fact that one of them may break free of the bonds and set the others free? That is what my mind goes to and what holds my blade from rushing into battle. However when Robert is called a coward he has had enough, standing up from the table he walks towards the gate. Enjoy your meal, and don't forget to take care of the prisoners. Don't bother looking for me, I am sure I will see you first. And with that Robert jumps onto one of the horses and begins riding in the direction the bandits had told them.

JennTora
2014-11-22, 03:00 AM
At Gunter's suggestion Vega casts a prestidigitation to begin cleaning up the bandit blood. Vega chuckles silently at the argument, and tries to point out that both sides have good points but as things great up finds himself unable to get a word in.

After Robert leaves, Vega thinks,
our noble has a temper. Well he probably knows what he's doing at least, he didn't seem like a fool.

"I was going to say, why not go on to the camp and make plans on the way. Since it'll take a while anyway, but it looks like Robert's changed his mind anyway," Vega deadpans.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-22, 12:21 PM
Staring after Robert in stunned silence, Hector shakes himself, then turns to the others. "Well, we're not left with much choice now. Let's go" As he rises he looks at Bu-Hak, and an expression of irritation crosses his face. "Robert is acting like an immature idiot" He snaps at the bird. "And you're no better. We're going to have words about this when we're all assembled again. I'm not going to let myself, nor anyone else get hurt or killed because you two insist on acting like children." He then takes a longbow and some arrows, readies one of the horses, and settles in to wait for the rest of the group.

Eldon4
2014-11-22, 01:23 PM
Bu-Hak

Staring back at Hector, and in a much better mood after eating, Bu-Hak nods his assent to the discussion. He then goes about checking the bandits bindings and making sure they are locked away where Oleg directs. After this, Bu-Hak will warily approach a horse to get ready to travel. After all the others are ready Bu-Hak feels the time for harshness has passed and says, "Our noble friend seems to have more bravery than I had guessed," Though less sense, "Let us catch him up and see about these bandits."

hiiamtom
2014-11-22, 04:24 PM
Günter laughs to the point of tears at Robert's departure, and regains his composure as Hector lectures Bu-Hak and readies a horse. He mounts and rides close to Hector, Relax, young hare. You have te spirit of youth, and share that with both Robert and Bu-Hak. Be glad you have the circumstance to keep your head! "Master" Orlo has simply run from his own demons - and they certainly have less feathers than our friend here. Let's you and I catch him and wait for the others to follow. Half and half is safer than Robert on his own.

Waiting for no confirmation, Günter strikes the horse pulling his cart and leaves the outpost at a trot moving towards Robert's direction but never leaving sight of the outpost. When the attempt was in vain, he suggest to Hector to head back and leave with the group.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-24, 12:43 AM
The party rode off fast to the south west, towards where they believed the bandits made their camp. Journeying fast on horse back, it took no time at all to reach the general area described by the captive bandits. Within a few hour after departing, the terrain turned to forest. if the bandit camp was in this locale, then in would be well hidden in the woods. It took over a day to fully explore the area, but finally, they came across something!

As the adventurers traveled south a ways along an animal trail, they came across an old dirt road that wandered further south, besides a babbling brook. To the east, they spotted what might be a clearing. White smoke rose up from the nearby tree a little to the south east. While south down the trail was an overturned wagon.

The forest was old. The tress grew tall and thick, and could provide great concealment for animals, or other residents of the forests. Two large fallen logs rests beside the road just before the over turned wagon. It seemed as though two people and a horse were standing idly next to it.

dantiesilva
2014-11-24, 09:53 AM
Due to leaving slightly before everyone else Robert had found the dirt road a few moments before the others, and when he saw the two people behind the wagon he took out his dagger and carved into one of the trees near him. Be quite and wait here. Two guards up ahead, going to scout rest of area. With the message carved into the tree facing so his allies could see it when they rode this way, Robert tied his horse up in the treeline to keep it out of view and allowed it to grave before wandering off under the cover of the trees to see what he could find.

Perception (using trapfinding) [roll0] If a trap is found disable device [roll1] if it looks like it would be easy, if not he will mark it with something to get latter as to not alert the enemy.

Perception check to notice all the guards [roll2] Without being seen or heard stealth check [roll3]

Moving 15ft a round, total of half speed each turn until I make it all the way around the camp and back to the road, where with luck my allies will be waiting for me and not have been seen allowing me to tell them how many enemies we are dealing with.

Once I have informed them of the amount of enemies I will go back into the treeline and look for a perfect spot to use the snipe action so we have to fight the least amount of people as possible. If anyone is willing he will bring one person who is also good at hiding and use aid another so neither of them is caught until they get into a sniping area

hiiamtom
2014-11-25, 11:32 AM
WIS check: [roll0] vs. DC10, if I fail I forgot a mundane piece of equipment at Oleg's

Eldon4
2014-11-25, 09:42 PM
Bu-Hak

Upon seeing the carving Bu-Hak will move his horse off the road and tie it in order to wait for Robert.

Stealth: [roll0]
Perception to see if I see Roberts horse: [roll1] will place mine it if I see it.

JennTora
2014-11-26, 07:14 AM
Seeing the carving Vega hides his horse as well. He waits patiently for Robert's return.

Stealth:[roll0]
Perception to see if I see Robert's horse hiding spot: [roll1]
So for this moment I'm pretty much copying bu hak

hiiamtom
2014-11-26, 10:58 AM
Günter will help wrangle the horses (including Robert's) and the cart and bring them up the road from the party so the commotion doesn't bring attention close to the hiding party (he is well aware of how useless he is hiding in his armor). This way the party can meet with Robert safely and stealthily by the note he left and there is a rally point only a short sprint away if the need arises for hasty retreat. He will return to the hiding site in about 10-15 minutes and hopefully the entire party will be assembled by then.

I'm taking 10 to find Robert's horse. It was close to the note and I could either take a minute to find the trail and follow it or just see the horse.

Perception: 19
Survival: 20

gremlin-pult
2014-11-26, 11:07 AM
As he is by no means well-versed in traversing the wilds, Hector decides to simply follow the others' lead, leaving his horse when they do, and staying with them.

Hector basically does the same as the others.
Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]

TheFamilarRaven
2014-11-27, 11:46 AM
Robert managed to duck into the trees without making too much noise, while the rest of the party caught up to his horse. They all saw the carving Robert had left behind, and decided it would be best to hang back.

The couple by the wagon seems to be discussing something, although everyone is too far away to hear.

When Robert returns, he reports that there is a wooden watch tower concealed in the trees just northwest of the wrecked wagon. There is someone on lookout, possibly a bandit. The couple by the wagon is a man and a women. The both seem like ordinary travelers. A bit well armed, but that's not unusual given the Stolen Land's reputation. The man has a short sword by his waist, while the woman has two hand axes stuck in her belt. The man in the tower has a shortbow at the ready.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-27, 01:25 PM
"A woman with two hand axes, eh?" Hector says with a thoughtful expression, scratching his chin. "Now, unless twin axes are a common combination of weapons for women here in the Greenbelt, I would say we've found this Kressle woman that the others talked about."

He paces back and forth a few times, thinking, before turning to the others. "The way I see it, the biggest problem here, as long as there aren't more bandits hiding in the brush, is the archer in the tower. We'll have to take him out quickly and quietly.
Now, this might just be me being foolish, but I think what we need is a distraction. someone to walk right up to the pair by the wagon and engage them in conversation. It'll grab the attention of both them and the archer. And if someone is hiding, odds are they would come out to join their friends for the fun when an easy mark walks right into their hands. I volunteer to be the distraction, by the way. If there's one thing I'm good at, it's being the center of attention." He says with a smile. "Then the rest could wait a few moments, move around to a better position, and if we're really good, take the archer out before they know what hit them."

dantiesilva
2014-11-27, 03:48 PM
As Hector explains his plan Robert shakes his head. While in the city such a ploy would no doubt work, these are bandits. Seeing anyone so far out in the woods would send them all on alert no doubt. The fact I was able to sneak in with such ease suggest I can do so again and position myself so that we can at least eliminate the archer in the tower. Robert says before turning to Bu-Hak. However I will need a strong arm to come with me incase I am spotted by their guard hidden in the bushes, and Bu-Hak is the only one that has spoken up so far about having any form of stealth abilities. Robert says as he draws an arrow going from him and Bu-hak to a location near the tower. With luck we can make it past the guard again without being caught. However he is also in the best position to take out the archer, and with the cover all around him, so long as we hit him hard and fast he shouldn't make a sound. If that goes as planned taking out the archer will be no problem from their and we can then flank the remaining two from two sides, cutting off any chance of escape. What dose everyone think? Robert asks as he propose an idea that dose not risk any one individual.

Robert and Bu-Hak stealth over to B6 and B8, thus flanking the guard allowing me to SA and both of us the chance to gain from flanking bonuses. If he doesn't spot us that acts as a surprise round, followed by round 1 if he survives. One of us should win initiative and thus kill him before he gets a word out.

From there both Bu-hak and myself take out our bows and kill the archer, if he is not aware of us that is another SA from me as it is still within 30ft. I doubt we will kill him with the two arrows, but it is a chance. Either way when he makes a sound (either from falling from the tower, or screaming) the rest of the group moves in. I toss the alchemist fire stopping the bandits behind the wagon from having cover, while damagining them and everyone else goes to town on them. How does this sound?

Eldon4
2014-11-27, 06:40 PM
Bu-Hak

Bu-Hak nods agreement with Hector's assessment of the woman and then again to Robert's plan. "While I do believe the bandits would be relaxed and poke fun at a single unlucky person, I agreed with Robert that we shouldn't risk anyone like that and I agree with his plan as a whole. We take out the guard tower stealthily and then we all assault the remaining two from both sides."

hiiamtom
2014-11-27, 10:44 PM
taking control of the tower gives us an advantage with a bow, but relying on that alone is not a complete plan when a handful have the guile to complete the task. We need to further fistract the theives, and since I am incapable of hiding in the bushes I suggest I attempt to approach the camp and simply position myself with cover against the tower I know is there. The distraction hopefully would let some of you in waiting to take the advantageous positons immediately and force the bandits to fight us in a group that could be targeted by me or Adea. pausing before adding Good Intel, boy. You do your family name proud.

gremlin-pult
2014-11-28, 07:37 AM
"Huh, you're probably right, Robert. Your plan does sound safer. Only thing I still worry about is, what if you're wrong? what if there are more of them out there, some you didn't see? for all we know you could run right into them on the way to the tower. I think trying to lure them out somehow would be wise, just in case. besides that, I'm in." Hector says with a shrug, not at all dissatisfied that his plan was shot down.

dantiesilva
2014-11-28, 11:22 PM
That is why Bu-Hak will come with me. Should something go bad, we will at least have a pair and one of us should be able to get off a warning to the rest of you. However if we wait to long our window will close and we will eventually be seen. It is hard enough to hide a single person trained from an enemy, but a small squad along with their horses is bound to be seen if they take to long. We are not at Oleg's where we had the time to debate. We need to decide now what we will all do and follow threw with it. And while I am thankful for your concern, it is more likely you and the others will be caught before myself and Bu-Hak as I have already seen how they act and move. If any are hidden we improvise and try to take that one out before they set off an alarm is all. Right Bu-Hak. Robert says with a smile as he draws his rapier and gets ready for battle with his bow strapped across his back ready for the second stage of battle after they took out the guard near the tower.

Unless that person like was pointed out was me and not a guard...

Listening to the old dwarves plan he shakes his head, That would do the same as Hectors plan, and would make the chances of stealth less likely. Once they are alerted we are on a time line in which if we don't move as fast as possible we risk losing at least one of us. Starting the game before the clock starts places us ahead of our opponents. Perhaps though you could be ready on one of the horses to charge in once you see the tower go down? This would throw them into confusion while cutting the chances of them being able to form a defense in time to Bu-Hak and myself attacking from the side. Robert explains while bowing his head at the compliment.

hiiamtom
2014-11-29, 12:49 AM
You are right about the time to strike. I am willing to throw myself behind you plan, how will you signal the charge?

We will have to charge on foot, the horses are not trained for combat far as i can tell and this it not the time to find out how skittish they are.

JennTora
2014-11-29, 08:10 AM
"It's a sound plan, and we don't have a lot of time to come up with a better one. I'm in."

dantiesilva
2014-11-30, 04:23 PM
As the plan is agreed upon Robert uses hand signals to call Bu-Hak over to follow him before he makes his way back to a vantage point where he can see the tower once more, taking his time to make sure he and Bu-Hak are not caught. Every now and then Robert stops moving as he hears his friend behind him make to much noise, making a fist like signal telling him to stop and hold position. After all their entire plan relied upon not being caught and taking out that archer quickly, if they failed to do that who knew how many enemies would show up.

Robert Perception 18 Stealth 27
Bu-Hak Perception 11 Stealth 19

As the two man group finally got to their destination Robert immediately scanned their immediate area, this close to their goal they could not take risks. Perception [roll0] Stealth if needed [roll1]

Eldon4
2014-11-30, 09:42 PM
Bu-Hak

upon arriving at the area, hopefully unnoticed, Bu-Hak will ready his bow to fire on the watch tower guard.He will fire if he notices the guard seeing them, otherwise he will wait for Roberts signal to fire simultaneously.

attack:
Crit confirm if needed: 1d20+5[/roll]
Damage: [roll1]
extra crit damage if needed: [roll2]

TheFamilarRaven
2014-12-02, 04:20 PM
The area the guard on the top of the tower whistled like a bird. this seemed to make the two on the ground more alert. It didn't seem like they spotted Robert or Bu-Hak in their cover, but they apparently knew something was up, as they drew their weapons.

Across the river, Robert noticed a bow of some humanoid peeking out of the bushes behind the logs.

MAP LINK (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BVstv189uxS0-G-O4z8sa116bhpUajzRgmP6pbvWg-A/edit)

- Legend -

- All potential threats are outlined in yellow

- the red image is in G18 is the women

Player Locations
Robert. B6
Bu-Hak A6
Hector I9
Guntner I5
Vega K1

All other tokens are visible NPC's. The giant blue square indicates an unexplored/out of sight area

Apologies. I could not find a higher quality image of the map.

Robert has not attacked, and therefore Bu-Hak has not either. However, you may keep that result for when you do.

http://kingmakercampaign.pbworks.com/f/Kressle.png

dantiesilva
2014-12-03, 08:00 PM
As the guards seem to become more alert Robert curses their luck, with them not expecting anything he had a very good chance with Bu-Hak of success, however with them now alert the risk was that much more. However not all was bad, as one of their enemies revealed themselves to Robert's eyes. Slowly tapping Bu-Hak on the shoulders, Robert points out the new comer before pointing back to the tower with his bow in hand. A second latter he fires his arrow into the distance, hoping to eliminate the archer in the tower.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-12-04, 11:45 AM
Robert released his arrow. It whistled through the air, sailing right by the bandit's head. Bu-Hak let loose a volley of his own, and struck the watchmen square in the side. He cried out in pain, but was still standing.

"Thrice damned demons! Thar 'n tha bushes, boss!" The guard called out.

"Oh, bloody Hells! Looks like thars a few do-gooders who're on to us, boys!" The women called out.

This is a surprise round. Robert and Bu-Hak have taken their actions.

gremlin-pult
2014-12-04, 12:54 PM
Hearing the cry of the bandits, Hector moves forward while readying his longbow, hoping to get a good shot at the other bandits before getting into melee. Waiting for the others to join him, Hector takes it slow, stopping when about halfway to the female bandit leader.

hiiamtom
2014-12-04, 05:56 PM
Günter follows on Hector's heels, shouting enemy locations to aid the party engaging in battle.

Move to I5

JennTora
2014-12-07, 02:48 AM
Vega follows behind Gunter.

move to J4. I guess, I'm reading the map wrong because it looks like k5 to me. But if Gunter's at I5 it would have to be J4.

TheFamilarRaven
2014-12-08, 02:06 PM
All it seemed that the heroes still that the heroes still held the element of surprise. Bu-Hak and Robert were already ready with their next move.

Bu-Hak [24]
Robert [21]
Bandit 5 [20] - ranged; in bushes; behind partial cover (fallen logs); Uninjured
Vega [20]
Kressle [19] - Uninjured
Bandit 1 15] - Ranged; Atop tower; dying
Hector [12]
Bandit 2 [8] - Unseen
Bandit 3 [8] - Unseen
Bandit 4 [8] - Melee; Uninjured
Guntner [7]

Note: all PC's received a +1 bump to their initiative rolls due to Guntner (except Guntner as his was already included on his stats)

MAP LINK (https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1BVstv189uxS0-G-O4z8sa116bhpUajzRgmP6pbvWg-A/edit?usp=sharing)

- Legend -

- All enemies are outlined in yellow.

Player Locations
Robert B6
Bu-Hak A6
Hector I9
Guntner I5
Vega J4

Enemy Locations
Bandit 1 D11
Bandit 4 F18
Bandit 5 N14
Kressle G18

- All other tokens are visible NPC's. The giant blue square indicates an unexplored/out of sight area

Apologies. I could not find a higher quality image of the map.

Eldon4
2014-12-08, 05:07 PM
Bu-Hak

He will give a slight hiss of frustration at the guards call and quickly release another arrow at him.

attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Critical confirm: [roll2]
Extra crit damage: [roll3]

TheFamilarRaven
2014-12-08, 05:49 PM
Bu-Hak's second arrow fies straight into the ruffian's chest. He managed a let out stifled cry of pain before collapsing.

dantiesilva
2014-12-08, 08:00 PM
Good shot Bu-Hak, I will try to make my way to the tower so I can provide support. Meet me there. Robert says to his friend as he once more tries to blend into the shadows of the forest around him, calling out to the others before that however as he sees them moving. Watch out for the guard behind the logs. And with that he vanishes into the unknown.

Robert will move at half speed to use stealth [roll0] He is moving to C9 and looking around with Perception [roll1]

Ready action to shot at the hidden foe once he reveals himself

Attack roll [roll2] Damage [roll3]
Critical [roll4] Damage [roll5]

SA doesn't apply due to being more then 30ft. away, however they may be flat footed if they do not beat my new stealth roll due to me moving and hiding in the forested area again.

JennTora
2014-12-11, 02:50 AM
Vega moves onward and looks around for more bandits.

move 20 feet to I8, Perception [roll0]