PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain what is so great about the Shock Trooper feat to me?

Windrammer
2014-11-07, 10:02 PM
I understand what makes it cool and fun, I just don't understand what makes it such a standout.

Heedless charge seems to be what people like best, but all it results in is an AC bonus. Combat Expertise gives you an AC bonus without having to charge for it, and you don't need freakin improved bull rush to get it. And AC is only so important at these levels in my opinion...

Domino rush seems REALLY cool but I'm unsure if it's really worth the feat cost either.

But I'm a noob. I really do like this feat, I just know there's something I'm not understanding about its merit.

eggynack
2014-11-07, 10:05 PM
You're reading the feat incorrectly. It doesn't boost AC, but instead drops it to boost damage. Thus, as your damage is high, and your to-hit is high, due to not having to pay in BAB for power attack, you hit for a whole lot. Combine that with something granting pounce, usually spirit lion totem barbarian from complete champion, and you're able to do that on a full attack, and move on the same round. Thus, death and destruction in your wake.

sideswipe
2014-11-07, 10:06 PM
heedless charge does not give AC, read it again

it trades base attack for AC in a power attack, so you have full hit full damage. meaning you no longer trade accuracy for power. you get both.

Windrammer
2014-11-07, 10:16 PM
You're reading the feat incorrectly. It doesn't boost AC, but instead drops it to boost damage. Thus, as your damage is high, and your to-hit is high, due to not having to pay in BAB for power attack, you hit for a whole lot. Combine that with something granting pounce, usually spirit lion totem barbarian from complete champion, and you're able to do that on a full attack, and move on the same round. Thus, death and destruction in your wake.

" you can assign any portion of the attack roll penalty from Power Attack to your Armor Class instead, "

I see what you mean now but my god was that misleading. "Assigning ___ to ___" sounds like a positive in regards to the subject.

It's really ironic how much this changes the value of the feat for me as a player... I've always had a dismissive attitude towards AC, turns out this feat is right in line with that. Thanks for clearing it up!

Extra Anchovies
2014-11-07, 10:24 PM
Indeed. Shock Trooper + Leap Attack = mundanes can get in on the rocket tag game that is high-level play.

Venger
2014-11-07, 10:24 PM
" you can assign any portion of the attack roll penalty from Power Attack to your Armor Class instead, "

I see what you mean now but my god was that misleading. "Assigning ___ to ___" sounds like a positive in regards to the subject.

It's really ironic how much this changes the value of the feat for me as a player... I've always had a dismissive attitude towards AC, turns out this feat is right in line with that. Thanks for clearing it up!

the operative word here is "penalty"

you're right to dismiss AC, since optimizing to-hit is trivial, even at low-mid levels. unless you invest very heavily in AC, like an abjurant champion or similar, it's just not worth it most of the time. it's a much better idea to invest in miss chance instead.

Indeed. Shock Trooper + Leap Attack = mundanes can get in on the rocket tag game that is high-level play.

toss battle jump in the mix to get extra hilarious

Windrammer
2014-11-07, 10:49 PM
toss battle jump in the mix to get extra hilarious

Oh yeah, I'm counting on it. Playing a Warblade. [Leaping Dragon Stance] Sudden Leap + Power Attack + Battle Jump + Shock Trooper, +some strike or other, like Swooping Dragon strike.

Delicious

WhamBamSam
2014-11-07, 10:58 PM
Oh yeah, I'm counting on it. Playing a Warblade. [Leaping Dragon Stance] Sudden Leap + Power Attack + Battle Jump + Shock Trooper, +some strike or other, like Swooping Dragon strike.

DeliciousYou can also keep Wall of Blades in your back pocket mitigate the AC penalty from Shock Trooper.

Deophaun
2014-11-08, 12:40 AM
Domino rush seems REALLY cool but I'm unsure if it's really worth the feat cost either.
Large size + Knockback + Shock Trooper = Mook Bowling.