PDA

View Full Version : How does Chain Spell + Telekinesis targeting REALLY work?

ben-zayb
2014-11-07, 11:55 PM
I've looked at the description, and it appears to only have two kinds of target:
The target creature for your Combat Maneuver, which is the one you will be performing the maneuver against. (or attacks / iterative attacks if MotUH)
The target for your Violent Thrust, which is what the items are being thrust against.

So with the Chain Spell metamagic, wouldn't the RAW-legal thing to do is to target the ones you will be performing hostile actions against? (instead of targetting X weapons)

With this interpretation, a Master of the Unseen Hand will only need a single longsword to full-attack 21 distinct targets.

Segev
2014-12-14, 10:27 AM
Sustained Force, Combat Maneuver, and Violent Thrust are three distinct uses of the spell which have different rules for each of them.

Sustained Force has a non-instantaneous duration, and targets the object(s) or creature(s) being moved for the duration. As written, it doesn't let you change targets, either. Chain Telekinesis would let you affect multiple objects or creatures at once, rather than just the one. As written, I think it would let each be at its full weight for the spell, and let you move them all with a single maintained concentration.

Combat Maneuver targets the creature being bull rushed, tripped, or what-have-you. Chain Telekinesis would let you bull rush multiple creatures. It specifically lets you change targets each round, so that's going to be really versatile.

Violent Thrust expends the spell in an instantaneous duration. It already affects multiple targets at once; Chain Spell simply adds more. The targets are the things you're throwing at other things, not the things at which you're throwing them. That's why the violent thrust option specifies how many of them you can hurl (your CL) by default. Chain Spell adds your CL again. So for +3 spell levels, you double the number of things you hurl. The odd question, to me, is how the weight limit works on the extra objects. I think, though somebody should double-check me on this, that it actually would give you the FULL weight limit on EACH Chain Spell targeted object, as opposed to dividing it up between them the way the base spell's targeted objects are. So that's a significant boost in deadliness.

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-14, 06:57 PM
The violent thrust version of telekenesis can't be chained. Chain spell requires the modified spell to have a single target. Otherwise segev's got it.

ben-zayb
2014-12-14, 08:08 PM
So since MotUH Telekinetic Wielder is based off the Combat Maneuver option, that would mean I can use a single magic weapon to make 21 full attacks, right?

Kelb_Panthera
2014-12-14, 08:33 PM
So since MotUH Telekinetic Wielder is based off the Combat Maneuver option, that would mean I can use a single magic weapon to make 21 full attacks, right?

Technically? Perhaps, but don't count on a DM letting you get away with it.

In particular, he could say that the class feature says that you can wield -a- weapon with the combat maneuver portion of the spell. Chain spell can modify the spell, not the class feature. That's the logic I'd use to shut it down anyway.