PDA

View Full Version : Ye Ultimate Olde English Writer Showdown

Bookman
2007-03-21, 11:42 PM
Well it has been brought up by Evil Pacifist and I that who would win "Chaucer or Shakespeare"

Well I figured I'd expand it. I'll take submission until tomorrow night when I get hom from rehersal or whenever I get on. Then we'll turn this into a poll. Please post any arguements and discuss this :wink: Don't wanna be RIDICULOUS now do we?

Nightmarenny
2007-03-21, 11:45 PM
Well it has been brought up by Evil Pacifist and I that who would win "Chaucer or Shakespeare"

Well I figured I'd expand it. I'll take submission until tomorrow night when I get hom from rehersal or whenever I get on. Then we'll turn this into a poll. Please post any arguements and discuss this :wink: Don't wanna be RIDICULOUS now do we?Shakespeare's not old english...

Bookman
2007-03-21, 11:46 PM
Shakespeare's not old english...
For the purpose of this thread "old" is defined as not in the past 100 years. The classics so to speak :tongue:

AmoDman
2007-03-21, 11:55 PM
You spelled Olde wrong.

Axl_Rose
2007-03-22, 12:36 AM
Not to be a prick or anything but wouldn't it be more "fitting" to have titled this "Ye ultimate olde english writer" ?

Strengfellow
2007-03-22, 09:33 AM
Can I vote for the venerable Bede?

Bookman
2007-03-22, 09:29 PM
Not to be a prick or anything but wouldn't it be more "fitting" to have titled this "Ye ultimate olde english writer" ?

Duly noted :wink:

Can I vote for the venerable Bede?

The only other post :tongue:

So......vote my friends.

My idea behind Chaucer is he managed to write about Death and roosters and all sorts of things. Far better in my opinion :wink:

Anyways......he was older

Jorkens
2007-03-22, 09:52 PM
Shakespeare's not old english...
Nor's Chaucer.

Daze
2007-03-22, 09:55 PM
My boy Edgar Allen Poe would knock any of those pansy playwrights around! And dont forget Lord Byron... he may have been a poet, but I do believe he had martial training

Om
2007-03-23, 06:28 AM
Chaucer. The man did fart jokes!

Adlan
2007-03-23, 06:44 AM
And out of Bellzebubs arse the Frairs came...

Chaucer rules, and while shakespeare has depths and such, Chaucer has fart Jokes, branding irons and arses, sexual puns that are funny, and sounds better when spoken out loud.

And the fact that the dialect is often similar to norfolk helps.

DeathQuaker
2007-03-23, 06:51 AM
Chaucer. The man did fart jokes!

I'm fairly certain Shakespeare did too. If there was any sort of raunchy, dirty, off-color joke, Shakespeare probably made it. Got to keep the groundlings happy. Now, Chaucer made off color jokes (with the Wife of Bath's husband's "swinking" themselves to death...) too. But I think old Shakes was a little better at it.

I voted for the Bard. As an actor and traveller he was probably in more fights than Chaucer. I think Chaucer was a clerk. I can't remember, though, so may have to amend my thoughts later.

Bookman
2007-03-23, 09:09 AM
But also Chaucer DID it first. Shakespeare only did the dirty jokes after Chaucer.

bosssmiley
2007-03-23, 12:08 PM
Shakespeare = win!

He famously nicked other guy's ideas and made them into cool and complex plays.
He gave the English language more soundbites than anything else except the Bible.
His name has become an adjective synonymous with quality theatre (Shakespearean actor...).
Heck! Shakespeare is so overwhelmingly and thunderously win that his name alone can shut down a Frenchman bragging about their cultural heritage (as seen on tv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJzSswlcrCo)).

"Jules Verne, Jean Paul Sartre, Baudelaire..."
"Sssssssssh!-akespeare" :smallwink:

Chaucer? Yeah, he has his moments, but Shakespeare's on our banknotes! :smallcool:

psychoduck14
2007-03-23, 12:10 PM
unrelated but your avatar is flippin awsome bookman

Don Beegles
2007-03-23, 02:14 PM
Shakespeare for the win. But Chaucer kicks ass as well. I think Chaucer is too superficial. His biggest idea is to satirize lots of things that don't exist anymore, and most of what he had after that were sex jokes. Albeit funny ones some of them. And his work is more poetic than Billy Shake's a lot of the time if you read the Middle English.

The Bard, however, contributed more to English literature and language thang Geoff could ever have hoped for, he took old stories, a lot like Chaucer did, but he made the characters and situations his own better than his rival. And he did Love's Labour's Lost, which is just awesome.