PDA

View Full Version : Did belkar REALLY give roy his ring of jumping?

donkyhotay
2007-03-22, 01:18 AM
Maybe the other rogue just meant he would never have trusted belkar or maybe he knows belkar didn't actually give roy the ring of jumping (munchkin style backstabbing). Which do people think happened?

A_S
2007-03-22, 01:32 AM
Wow, that never occurred to me. I think, for the sake of not killing the dramatic moment, it will probably turn out to be real, but it would be hilarious if Roy just fell to the ground five feet out from the wall instead.

Ettlesby
2007-03-22, 01:33 AM
I dunno, I think Belkar gave him the real ring...mainly, because if Roy dies, then the dragon will be perfectly capable of eating him. It's more of a self-protection thing than a 'I-want-to-protect-Azure-City' thing.

Shadow_of_Light
2007-03-22, 01:46 AM
Belkar DOES want to kill Roy. :p I reckon it's fake. :) Belkar's put his life on the line to 'have his way' with people's fates before (ie. Miko--who he also wants to kill).

Icewalker
2007-03-22, 02:00 AM
I don't think so. He may be a manipulating little fiend dude, but I don't think he'd massively threaten Roy's life especially when he wouldn't end up too well if Xykon wins, and Roy is his teammate. And his last words would probably be the command words to activate the mark of justice.

BDO
2007-03-22, 02:08 AM
Yeah, I think it's real, too. Just makes sense: Belkar bets with the other guy that Roy does the jump, then gives Roy the ring to ensure that Roy takes the jump and voila: dragon dead, Belkar rich...

random11
2007-03-22, 02:31 AM
No doubt, it's the real ring. Otherwise, instead of the "pay up" we'd see a "AAAAAAAAAAH.... .... .... BOOM".

The bet was the giant's way to find a solution, add another Belkar joke and avoid ruining his evil reputation by actually doing something that helps.

jng2058
2007-03-22, 02:40 AM
Not only would Roy's last words be the command for the Mark of Justice...or maybe even not his last words since a fighter of his level would almost certainly survive that kind of fall...but even if it DID kill Roy, then Belkar would have to find a way to stay within a mile of Roy's corpse at all times, even assuming that Hinjo, Haley, Durkon, and Elan don't immediately take him out then and there.

Nah, Belkar's too smart to try and take Roy out until the MoJ is removed, and since he sees that as a possible outcome if they win the battle, he's probably playing it straight.

Fun notion, though.

Arn
2007-03-22, 02:52 AM
Belkar conastantly does good things without planning to do so. My guess is that the ring is the real one.

Adrius
2007-03-22, 04:35 AM
Even without the bet, I don't think it would be particularly GOOD.

Is everyone forgetting where that ring has *ahem* been?

Estelindis
2007-03-22, 06:31 AM
Seriously, I think the whole fake Xykons thing worked well because it was original. But if every second thing is a fake, it really disrupts the reader's immersion. Only when a serious deception occurs occasionally (rather than more often) is it truly surprising. So, no, I don't think the ring's fake.

Allandaros
2007-03-22, 06:35 AM
Even without the bet, I don't think it would be particularly GOOD.

Is everyone forgetting where that ring has *ahem* been?

I was gonna say...that's one unsavory ring...

Whisper
2007-03-22, 07:56 AM
There has not been a hint that Belkar has another ring so I believe it's the real one. Also a big jump scene would be very dramatic in the next comic