PDA

View Full Version : Imbue Arrow

Bloody Peasant!
2014-11-08, 12:07 PM
The 2nd level arcane archer ability Imbue Arrow says the following.

Imbue Arrow (Sp)

At 2nd level, an arcane archer gains the ability to place an area spell upon an arrow. When the arrow is fired, the spell’s area is centered on where the arrow lands, even if the spell could normally be centered only on the caster. This ability allows the archer to use the bow’s range rather than the spell’s range. It takes a standard action to cast the spell and fire the arrow. The arrow must be fired in the round the spell is cast, or the spell is wasted.

I don't see any implication that only SA spells can be used, and it is a spell-like ability. So does this work with spells with much longer casting times (IE Fimbulwinter, Control Weather), effectively reducing the casting time to a standard action? If so, what are some good spells to use this with? It seems to me that a divine crusader (winter) with a couple levels in AA might make for an interesting character concept.

Chronos
2014-11-08, 12:13 PM
You're not the first one to have that exact idea (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=11663884&postcount=122).

RenaldoS
2014-11-08, 12:17 PM
Is making Fimbulwinter a standard action even that great? It still takes 10 minutes to take effect.

Bloody Peasant!
2014-11-08, 12:34 PM
You're not the first one to have that exact idea (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=11663884&postcount=122).

Oh. Well then. Kudos to me for originality I guess?

Snowbluff
2014-11-08, 12:36 PM
Add the Arrow Split spell (probably via a wand chamber in your bow) and a Splitting bow.

Bloody Peasant!
2014-11-08, 12:43 PM
Add the Arrow Split spell (probably via a wand chamber in your bow) and a Splitting bow.

Oooh, nasty. I'm getting all sorts of fun ideas right now.

Snowbluff
2014-11-08, 12:59 PM
Don't forget anti-magic field!

heavyfuel
2014-11-08, 01:09 PM
Ghoul Glyph is probably the best low level spell to use with Imbue Arrow. It's a no save paralysis with an AoE (Fort negates) side effect.

Uncle Pine
2014-11-08, 01:31 PM
Ghoul Glyph is probably the best low level spell to use with Imbue Arrow. It's a no save paralysis with an AoE (Fort negates) side effect.

You can't use Ghoul Glyph with Imbue Arrow because it doesn't have a listed area.

I've never noticed this neat little trick. It's similar to the Uncanny Forethought trick, but at-will and only with aoe spells. It's so nice that I now feel the urge to stat a NPC to abuse it.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-08, 01:43 PM
Im thinking of having fun with this using Lightning Bolt. Lob an arrow and then have a lightning bolt shoot out of what you just hit. And now im gonna make Wings of Flurry mortar shells.

A_S
2014-11-08, 03:36 PM
Don't forget Glyph of Warding for any harmful spell of 3rd level or lower.

Prime32
2014-11-08, 03:54 PM
Don't forget Glyph of Warding for any harmful spell of 3rd level or lower.There is so, so much you can do with this. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10643)

Tohsaka Rin
2014-11-09, 11:03 AM
I'm thinking of how to add this to a Craig Cragtop Sniper build.

Being able to lob the magical equivalent of a stinger missile is an evil, evil thing to do.

But the real question is, can we go eviler?

Bloody Peasant!
2014-11-09, 03:30 PM
I'm thinking of how to add this to a Craig Cragtop Sniper build.

Being able to lob the magical equivalent of a stinger missile is an evil, evil thing to do.

But the real question is, can we go eviler?
Maybe if we have a wealth of artifacts lying around? (http://dndtools.eu/spells/book-of-vile-darkness--37/apocalypse-from-the-sky--131/)

A_S
2014-11-09, 03:46 PM
Maybe if we have a wealth of artifacts lying around? (http://dndtools.eu/spells/book-of-vile-darkness--37/apocalypse-from-the-sky--131/)
Well, you know about the relevant maximum-queso interpretation here, right?

From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm):

Unless a cost is given for a material component, the cost is negligible. Don’t bother to keep track of material components with negligible cost. Assume you have all you need as long as you have your spell component pouch.

From Apocalypse from the Sky spell description:

Material Component: An artifact, usually one of good perverted to this corrupt use.

Do you see a cost given for that material component?

Blackhawk748
2014-11-09, 03:55 PM
Do you see a cost given for that material component?

Ah Apocalypse from the sky, the only reason i take Eschew Materials

Bloody Peasant!
2014-11-09, 04:24 PM
That is so unbelievably evil words escape me.

A_S
2014-11-09, 04:26 PM
That is so unbelievably evil words escape me.
If you try to use this at an actual table, don't tell your DM I mentioned it.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-09, 05:19 PM
If you try to use this at an actual table, don't tell your DM I mentioned it.

I know a DM that will let me use it once. Keyword here is once, if i ever use it again i will probably be beaten with a library.

Rubik
2014-11-09, 09:55 PM
Ah Apocalypse from the sky, the only reason i take Eschew MaterialsDon't forget Ice Assassin. And Planeshift. And Teleport Through Time. There are lots of abuses here.

Can we somehow make Imbue Arrow work with the Whirling Blade spell?

Snowbluff
2014-11-09, 09:56 PM
We should attach human hands to our arrows.

Chronos
2014-11-09, 10:11 PM
Planeshift requires a focus, not a material component, so Eschew Materials won't help.

heavyfuel
2014-11-09, 11:12 PM
You can't use Ghoul Glyph with Imbue Arrow because it doesn't have a listed area.

Wow, never noticed Imbue Arrow required an AoE spell... Well, the previously really good 2 dip into Arcane Archer just became mediocre

Tohsaka Rin
2014-11-10, 04:18 AM
I would be very shocked to learn that there isn't some way (metamagic, probably) to give a spell an area of effect.

Calling all optimizers! Turn on the Min-Max signal! Break out the red phone!

How do we use Arcane Archer to turn a character into a Harrier Jumpjet?

Darrin
2014-11-10, 08:55 AM
I would be very shocked to learn that there isn't some way (metamagic, probably) to give a spell an area of effect.

Lens of Ray Widening from Lords of Madness. Only works with rays, and adds a flat DC 15 Ref save to the spell, which means unless your target is at an extremely long range, you're probably better off just attacking with the ray instead of the bow.