PDA

View Full Version : Puzzled An elaborate turnaround?

dtilque
2014-11-08, 01:30 PM
In strip 863 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0863.html), last panel, Elan says "Without an elaborate turnaround?". What exactly does he mean there? Is this a reference to some specific book or movie or something, or just some general trope?

Keltest
2014-11-08, 01:36 PM
In strip 863 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0863.html), last panel, Elan says "Without an elaborate turnaround?". What exactly does he mean there? Is this a reference to some specific book or movie or something, or just some general trope?

He means that the Order was winning that fight from the beginning. There was no "Oh crap, lets try something different." moment.

Porthos
2014-11-09, 03:13 AM
To elaborate:

turn·a·round
ˈtərnəˌround/Submit
noun
an abrupt or unexpected change, especially one that results in a more favorable situation.
"it was a remarkable turnaround in his fortunes"
synonyms: reversal, change, sea change, turnabout, volte-face, about-face, one-eighty
"has any character's turnaround been as celebrated as Scrooge's?"
the process of completing or the time needed to complete a task, especially one involving receiving something, processing it, and sending it out again.
"a seven-day turnaround"

=====

In other words, Elan was saying, "What... You expect me to believe that you were planning on us escaping at the last moment in a dramatic fight without some big huge change of fortune in the middle? Preferably one that was highly detailed and cinematic? If you're going to lie to me, Roy, you're going to have to do better than that!"

In other other words, Elan was acting like a Bard Scorned. :smalltongue:

littlebum2002
2014-11-10, 10:58 AM
To elaborate:

turn·a·round
ˈtərnəˌround/Submit
noun
an abrupt or unexpected change, especially one that results in a more favorable situation.
"it was a remarkable turnaround in his fortunes"
synonyms: reversal, change, sea change, turnabout, volte-face, about-face, one-eighty
"has any character's turnaround been as celebrated as Scrooge's?"
the process of completing or the time needed to complete a task, especially one involving receiving something, processing it, and sending it out again.
"a seven-day turnaround"

=====

In other words, Elan was saying, "What... You expect me to believe that you were planning on us escaping at the last moment in a dramatic fight without some big huge change of fortune in the middle? Preferably one that was highly detailed and cinematic? If you're going to lie to me, Roy, you're going to have to do better than that!"

In other other words, Elan was acting like a Bard Scorned. :smalltongue:

Close, but not quite.

Elan is saying:

"What... You expect me to believe that we won a dramatic fight without some big huge change of fortune in the middle? Preferably one that was highly detailed and cinematic? If you're going to lie to me, Roy, you're going to have to do better than that!"

Elan isn't surprised that he planned on an elaborate turnaround, that sort of thing is normal. He's surprised that they won without losing badly at first then rallying to come from behind, as would be standard in literature.

Jay R
2014-11-10, 01:34 PM
Nale's team was beating Roy's team until Roy figured out what his father's prophecy meant, and encouraged Haley to take a near-impossible shot, turning the battle around.

Xykon was beating the Order, and had broken the buffed sword they were counting on. All was lost when Roy threw Xykon into the gate, turning the battle around.

Thog was beating Roy in the arena, and Roy had already given up, when he figured out how to use Knowledge (Engineering and Architecture) in battle.

That's a standard literary trope.

Darth Paul
2014-11-11, 12:52 AM
More to the point, Elan doesn't really believe the OOTS actually won the fight in the Pyramid, because there was no "elaborate turnaround" involved. As it turns out, he's right to be skeptical, since Tarquin just ordered a tactical withdrawal, and is going to be back with a whole damn army...