PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Help optimizing a Half-Orc cleric?

Phan. Renegade
2014-11-08, 03:00 PM
Hi fellow playgrounders!

So, I absolutely love the half-orcs in Pathfinder and divine casters.
I've also been reading up a bit on reach clerics (including brewer's guide), and I figured that it would be my best shot at surviving and contributing to combat during the first few levels.

Since the cleric is pretty front-loaded, I'm planning on going into the Exalted prestige class starting at level 6, and then immediately following jumping onto the Evangelist and using Aligned Class to keep on progressing in Exalted, before going back to cleric yet again. So, L1-L5: Cleric -> L6: Exalted -> L7-16: Evangelist (Exalted). I've read someplace that Exalted/ Evangelist continues existing spell casting, including domain spells (not domain POWERS) since they are part of the spell-feature of clerics, so multi classing shouldn't really be that painful. Though, I've got a few questions for you (it might be a good idea to go over the stat block prior though, it is at the bottom)

Questions:

1) Am I gimping myself too much by not potentially getting Power Attack until level 7? Or rather, given that if I enlarge myself I only really get one more potential AOO, would I be ok with not really getting Combat Reflexes that early and swapping it for something else? Either that, or just retraining and picking up PA as my 1st level feat once I hit L2?

2) Considering how I'm going to be starving for skill points until level 7, would there be a point in swapping out Darkvision for Skilled as a Half Orc? Or rather, how useful is darkvision compared to +1 SP / level?

3) I'm pretty much trying to have multiple tiers of defence (40 ft movement makes it easier to not get hit, Longspear gives AOO's to those that approach together with 18 str, sacred tattoo offers a boost to saves, and I'm just barely within the "AC on a melee character should be at least 15 + level" rule, but am I simply stretching myself too thin over these?

4) Actually, what kind of feats would be good on a cleric anyway?

5) Level 4->5 presents itself with a "dead" BAB increase, which quite frankly is not that great since I'm pretty much losing out on +2 BAB just by going Evangelist and Exalted. Is there any way of skipping out on this? As in, any class that I could take that would still help meet the "cast 3rd level divine spells" requirement of exalted?

I am aware that I could avoid this by being an Aasimar w/ Daylight, and get Evangelist at lv 4 -> Exalted 5, and then aligned class kicks in at L6, but that way I lose out on +2 STR (and thus really +1 BAB), +2 to all ST's, and being a half-orc. (I know that there is an item called a "luckstone" that pretty much replicates the ST's, but I don't think I'd be able to get one)

Thank you so much for your help!

Stats:
STR: 18 (16+2) / DEX: 14 / CON: 12 / INT: 10 / WIS: 14 / CHA: 8
ST's: +5 Fort / +4 Ref / +6 Will
Initiative: +4 / AC: 16 (2 DEX, 4 Armor (Leather Lamellar Armor) / Movement Speed: 40 ft
Longspear: +4 (1d8+6), (Enlarged (2d6+7)

Half-Orc:
Sacred Tattoo: +1 Luck bonus to all saving throws
Weapon Familiarity: Proficient with Falchions & Greataxes
Burning Assurance: +2 to Diplomacy (slightly counteracting the -1 Cha penalty)
Darkvision: 60 ft
Orc Blood: Count as Human & Orc
FCB: +1 HP / level

Cleric:
Channel Energy: 2/day (1d6, 30 ft burst)

Growth Subomain:
Enlarge (Sp): 4/day, Enlarge Person on self as Swift Action
Travel Domain:
+10 Movement Speed
Agile Feet (Su): 5/day, Ignore difficult terrain

Traits:
+Fate's Favored: +1 to Luck bonuses
+Hermean Paragon: +2 to Initiative

Drawbacks:
-Warded against Nature: (DC 20 (Handle Animal/Wild Empathy) check for animals to approach you closer than 30 feet, made by you / animal's master)
Feats:
L1: Combat Reflexes
L3: Deific Obedience
L5: Skill Focus [Knowledge (Religion)]
L7: Power Attack
???