PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas for Desert Lich Tomb

hobbitkniver
2014-11-08, 07:48 PM
My party are exploring the tomb of a desert lich. Any ideas for puzzles or interesting rooms?

Tommy_Dude
2014-11-08, 08:00 PM
A room with powerful enchantments that make one see an oasis instead of a tomb. A room of mummified servants who happen to be gnolls and hyenas. A series of riddles asked by a protective sphinx. A room full of caryatid columns that attack unless a certain dance is performed (give a hint on the walls or in an ancient scroll for this one). Elemental jackals with gems for eyes, except the gems are cursed. A room with a statue of the lich that's actually a clay (or whatever you prefer) golem. And... that's all I have at the moment.

enderlord99
2014-11-08, 08:05 PM
Mummified minotaurs, preferably ones that retain their maze-related skills.

Mr.Kraken
2014-11-08, 08:12 PM
Water. Lots of it. I'm sure that'll be the last thing the party will expect. :smallcool:
Would you prepare a Water breathing spell before going into a desert lich tomb?

atemu1234
2014-11-08, 09:44 PM
Water. Lots of it. I'm sure that'll be the last thing the party will expect. :smallcool:

You are devious, my betentacled friend.

Blackhawk748
2014-11-08, 09:50 PM

And then fight an Acidborn giant Squid. :smallwink:

OldTrees1
2014-11-08, 10:26 PM
Early on (from level 1 to level 2) have a spiral staircase leading down for a couple levels. The party faces a quick fight on the stair from welcoming parties on levels 2 and 3. They party can bypass level 2 (and risk being flanked) or deal with level 2.

Oh, and the stair gets buried in sand some time while they are deep in the tomb.

Oracle_of_Void
2014-11-08, 10:42 PM
Basilisks are always fun to find in a desert. Make them dracolisks with a desert drake best friend to make it real interesting. Make a room full of stone statues. The players will think one of them will become animated to fight them. Instead, have a statue have a summoning rune on it that, when discovered, summons some terrible beast. When the beast is dead, then the statues animate. Have water elementals in the tomb, just to be ironic. Have a pack of mummies (boring) led by a mummified drake (interesting) being ridden by a mummified minotaur (crazy).

ArqArturo
2014-11-08, 11:59 PM
Is there such a thing as a Sand Elemental? Cause there could be one.

Ninjaxenomorph
2014-11-09, 12:41 AM
There are several such creatures in Pathfinder, if you want to borrow them. Beyond Sand Elementals, there is one type of intelligent one that puts victims to sleep... can't recall the name right now.

Milo v3
2014-11-09, 01:11 AM
There are several such creatures in Pathfinder, if you want to borrow them. Beyond Sand Elementals, there is one type of intelligent one that puts victims to sleep... can't recall the name right now.

Sandmen.....

Inevitability
2014-11-09, 01:29 AM
The classic room filling with sand may be overdone, but doesn't make it any less tense. And besides, how many effects do you know of that let you breathe sand? It's actually far deadlier than water.

Monstrous Scorpions are also fun. That is, unless someone casts Charm Monster and ends the fight.

And then there's always this (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20020817a).

PraxisVetli
2014-11-09, 02:20 AM
Libris Mortis has Swarmshifter undead template, good for all these mummies.

ArqArturo
2014-11-09, 02:39 AM
Pathfinder has an Apocalypse Swarm template for swarms. Add that to a Death Scarab Swarm and use the Hive Mind rules in Book of Vile Darkness...

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-11-09, 04:16 PM
Sand Dragon, Brown Dragon, Blue Dragon, Dune Hag, Desert Devil, Werecrocodile, Marruspawn, Sand Golem, Scorpion Swarm, Wasteland Troll, Giant Ant Lion, Salt Walls and a Decanter of Endless Water trap, a giant Senet board puzzle/trap. Supplement that room-filling with sand trap by using Black Sand or Shadowsand from Sandstorm. The lich has caryatid column guards armed with khopeshes and the Improved Trip feat. He casts battlefield control spells and has a scorpion swarm to latch onto anyone who goes prone.