PDA

View Full Version : what spell was cast on haley

joehein
2007-03-22, 09:30 AM
did anyone notice that haley had a spell cast on her right as roy slashed?

RowlieBowlie
2007-03-22, 09:32 AM
Yeah I guess most of us noted the fact, bu the question henceforth is, what was this spell?

I'll guess we'll find out sooner or later, or maybe not at all.

Mortizal
2007-03-22, 09:44 AM
I would venture a guess at Negative Energy Ray

Caractacus
2007-03-22, 09:58 AM
Curse that Xykon, he hurt my..my... Haley!

Grrrr....:smallfurious:

Permament death to he who will not worship Haley...:smallmad:

Innis Cabal
2007-03-22, 10:58 AM
it was either enervation or finger of death...she made her save

Haruki-kun
2007-03-22, 12:52 PM
Permament death to he who will not worship Haley...:smallmad:

I don't think permanent death will hurt Xykon much.................:smallsmile:

EDIT: HEY!!!!!!!!!!! I'M AN ORC NOW!!!!!!

Banaticus
2007-03-22, 01:10 PM
What if it was Magic Jar with a contingent Suggestion to "Act like Xykon"? That may not be Haley anymore, it could be Xykon in Haley's body! Boy, Elan is going to get a shock when "Haley" suddenly starts finding him repulsive . . .

Grod_The_Giant
2007-03-22, 02:15 PM
either not a strong one, or one with a save for almost no damage. She doesn't look too hurt.

Oxymoron
2007-03-22, 02:25 PM
It was the spell reveal V`s true gender. That is why she looked so shocked. " OMG, he said he was a she. He saw me undress. He borrowed my underwear. That perv!"

BisectedBrioche
2007-03-22, 02:26 PM
Maybe it was ability damage? If he heard her working out his plan maybe he decided to reduce her wisdom so it wouldn't happen again or something?

Vale
2007-03-22, 02:41 PM
either not a strong one, or one with a save for almost no damage. She doesn't look too hurt.

Well, we've seen her make pretty good use of saves in the past haven't we? I suppose most of those have been evasion-based, but I think it quite reasonable to expect that she saved for half damage.

Xykon doesn't remember who these people are, so there's no need to break out Meteor Swarm against them just yet, he probably DID start off with a midlevel spell that would do significant damage to a level 6-8 rogue, but not a stronger one like Haley.

the_tick_rules
2007-03-22, 03:13 PM
yeah she seemed fine in the next panel, mustn't have been anything too impressive. Xykon is probably saving his big spells for assaulting the throne room.

Threeshades
2007-03-22, 03:26 PM
It was definetly some spell causing damage but nothing more. i mean you see her completely unharmed before but after she has scars scratches all over her

skinkatlarge
2007-03-22, 03:46 PM
My very first panicked thought was that it was Charm or Geas or something along those lines, because she wasn't reacting to it. But yeah, afterwards she's "cracking around the edges" (as someone else said), and I don't know of any mind control stuff that also does physical damage.

Enervation, Slay Living, whatever... as long as she's still herself I'm okay, Durkon's right there to fix her if need be. But I'll bet it becomes significant later.

Caractacus
2007-03-22, 05:31 PM
I don't think permanent death will hurt Xykon much.................:smallsmile:

Well, I did say 'permanent death' for a reason. It's not a spell or anything.

A huge undead wedgie for the meanie that hurt our favourite Stickie! :smalltongue:

Vale
2007-03-22, 05:40 PM
I think your wedgie comment raises an interesting question. Does xykon have a bum capable of being wedgied? He still wears clothing... I wonder why? It's not really pretty enough clothing for it to be for decorative purposes. Perhaps he DOES have bits down below he wants concealed.

hrm. I'll have to think on this some more! :smallconfused:

brian c
2007-03-22, 09:04 PM
I think your wedgie comment raises an interesting question. Does xykon have a bum capable of being wedgied? He still wears clothing... I wonder why? It's not really pretty enough clothing for it to be for decorative purposes. Perhaps he DOES have bits down below he wants concealed.

I'd prefer not thinking about that any more than necessary. Chances are Xykon's clothing is enchanted in some way, Robe of Charisma +5 or Resistance or something like that. Only very low-level D&D characters wear non-magical clothing of any kind (besides those with Vow of Poverty)

Nerd-o-rama
2007-03-22, 10:07 PM

Because otherwise he'd be naked.

He was a human in life. Or something that looked very human in the flashback. We have weird hangups about propriety.

Mewtarthio
2007-03-22, 11:59 PM
We also have weird hangups about not decomposing where we stand.

It looks to me like a generic negative energy damage spell. She seems mildly injured, after all. Though of course Chekov never leaves his gun out if he doesn't intend for it to be fired (translation: If it had no significant effect, why include such a minor detail?).

Kreistor
2007-03-23, 01:46 AM
Enervation (negative energy levels) has no save, so you'd see her drained or something.

I'm guessing Finger of Death, and Haley made the save. FoD does damage on a successful save, but not enough that it should threaten Haley's life.

BisectedBrioche
2007-03-23, 07:46 AM
I still stand by my ability damage theory.

factotum
2007-03-23, 12:28 PM
Somebody pointed out in the discussion thread for 429 that Haley's armour is also damaged after the attack, so whatever it was causes damage to a person's equipment as well as the person. Are there any D&D spells that do that? Can't be Disintegrate because the SRD specifically says that does NOT damage equipment.

Cantrip
2007-03-23, 12:35 PM
Only if you get a Natural 1 on saving throw against a damaging AOE spell. So if you roll a 1 vs. a Fireball, your shield will get singed.

Sammi_Somara
2007-03-23, 05:01 PM
It was the spell reveal V`s true gender. That is why she looked so shocked. " OMG, he said he was a she. He saw me undress. He borrowed my underwear. That perv!"

XD if only that were it...then we would all finally know the truth...

BisectedBrioche
2007-03-24, 07:37 AM
Its finger of death, Xykon just used the same spell on Roy and said it was.

Ave
2007-03-24, 08:00 AM
What if it was Magic Jar with a contingent Suggestion to "Act like Xykon"? That may not be Haley anymore, it could be Xykon in Haley's body! Boy, Elan is going to get a shock when "Haley" suddenly starts finding him repulsive . . .

She got some black cross hatch so it was some damage causing spell. Something that still causes mild damage upon save.
Since it was black, it must have been negative energy.