PDA

View Full Version : Dvati Bardlock

Jiruharudo
2014-11-09, 06:46 AM
Hey fellow Giants,

Me and my buddies just finished off our epic campaign, and Symon Seaworth and his companion Orc managed to survive it and the realm is saver because of it.

Now we're starting a new campaign, and I wanted to play something that could do even more fun stuff outside of battle. Bard comes to mind.

But I'm not into spellcasters, so I went with a bardlock, I got some amazing help in the Thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?379187-Musical-Warlock-Build-have-a-plan-need-some-help). But while looking through the Dragon Compendium (http://www.reality.net/dnd/pdf/DnD%20-%20Dragon%20Compendium%20-%20Paizo%20-%20iOCR.pdf) I came across the Dvati (http://dndtools.eu/races/dragon-compendium--109/dvati--31/).

This race seemed extremely flavorful, having a Twin who you can communicate with telepathically and can do everything you can. Like singing!
Add some hats of disguise to hide your nature (and dus weaknesses) from your enemies and it seems like a lot of fun.

(Just think of them teleporting with the after image of a warlock (Flee the scene) and then activating the hats to get away in a crowd)

However, there is one thing I cannot find official info about:

I see tons of players stating that Dvati can both use their Blasts/evocations because they are spell like abilities, and my DM thinks they work the same as spells. And sadly, Im inclined to agree because of: “require him to focus the wild energy that suffuses his soul.” Since the dvati has but a single soul and the invocations require a standard action to use a Dvati could only use invocations from one body at a time.

Does anyone have book info/erata regarding this? I looked the web, but I can only find opinions and guesses.

Sian
2014-11-09, 07:02 AM
reason why you only can find opinions and guesses is that Dragon compendium in general, and Dvati in particular is very badly writen, in terms of making it easy to understand, and the Errata doesn't touch on it. And other than Dragon Compendium and scouring through the old Dragon Magazine which they were in (if that even have anything different, which i doubt since it was writen when only 3e core was out) there is no mention of it in any other splatbook

Feint's End
2014-11-09, 07:24 AM
reason why you only can find opinions and guesses is that Dragon compendium in general, and Dvati in particular is very badly writen, in terms of making it easy to understand, and the Errata doesn't touch on it. And other than Dragon Compendium and scouring through the old Dragon Magazine which they were in (if that even have anything different, which i doubt since it was writen when only 3e core was out) there is no mention of it in any other splatbook

Pretty much this.

As a general rule you should go with this: Dvati can not in any way have more actions then regular races unless they do it through a class.

So no double maneuvers, spells etc.

I think it is pretty ridiculous that people still try to break the action economy even though it clearly wasn't intended (since that would make Dvati way too overpowered for +1 la).

Edit: if you are that much into the idea of playing twins just take the Dvati for flavour and ask your dm and your fellow players if you may play 2 characters. While it is true that you have more actions, the same is true for any pet class. Just keep one character simple (melee brute) so he doesn't take up much time.
Out of combat you don't really need more RPG attention since you play twins after all.

So consider this instead of giving yourself a headache from playing Dvati

Jiruharudo
2014-11-09, 04:09 PM
Shame this race didnt get more attention then, personally I think it has a lot of potential. :)

Me and my DM have decided that if the Dvati wants to use warlock stuff they both have to focus as the spell req.
On the upside my DM thinks since Im not doing any dual sneak attack shenanigans He's removing the level Adj. Which seems fair.

Thanks for the imput guys, but feel free to add info if you have some for me. :)

Troacctid
2014-11-09, 08:12 PM
As a general rule you should go with this: Dvati can not in any way have more actions then regular races unless they do it through a class.

So no double maneuvers, spells etc.

I think it is pretty ridiculous that people still try to break the action economy even though it clearly wasn't intended (since that would make Dvati way too overpowered for +1 la).

I have to disagree. Dvati are made to break the action economy. What they're not intended to do is break it with magic. They are perfectly capable of making normal attacks individually and in fact have racial features that encourage them to team up and flank their enemies.