PDA

View Full Version : Unusual race/alignment combinations?

Jon_Dahl
2014-11-09, 07:04 AM
In short: How often do "Drizzts" happen?

I'm talking exclusively about NPCs here. Monster alignment "usually" or "often" means that over a half or 40%-50% of the members of that race are of the given alingment. How much is there variation with the rest of it?

Let's take orcs and elves for an example:
Approximately 45% of orcs are chaotic evil.
Over 50% of elves are chaotic good.

In your opinion/in your campaign world, what is alignment composition of the rest of the orcs?
27% of orcs are NE, 27% of them are LE, and 1% are drawn from other alignments? Or 27% of them are CN, 27% are CG and 1% are a mix of evil alignments?
What about elves?

I'm thinking about inserting a lawful good ogre mage into my game, but I just stopped to think how rare they are... Generally speaking, I mean.

Pan151
2014-11-09, 08:23 AM
Your alignment distributions seem excessively biased towards evil/chaos. That would be appropriate for an "always evil"/"always chaotic" tag (and even then it would be too strict), not an "often CE" one.

If we take kobolds as an example (kobolds being "usually lawful evil") the alignment destribution given in races of the dragon looks like this:

LG 5% NG 4% CG 1%
LN 10% N 5% CN 2%
LE 65% NE 5% CE 3%

You will notice that the alignments are rarer the furthest away they are from the ideal alignment of LE. You'll also notice that kobolds favor law more than they do evil - as a result, it's more likely for a kobold to be NG than CE, and LG is equally common to NE.

From there on, you can adapt the above distribution to other races. Orcs, for example, would be similar except for being even more spread out and focusing on Chaos instead of Law. And Drow would be similar, except focusing equally on Evil and Neutrality.

EDIT. To be clear, the above distribution applies to kobold settlements, not individual kobolds - but it should be equally indicative of individuals nontheless.

Taveena
2014-11-09, 08:42 AM
Drow are a weird case, though - worshipping a Chaotic Evil goddess who encourages them to kill one another, but maintaining enough of a society that they can't be called truly Chaotic. They backstab, but within a specified frame.

Kobolds, on the other hand, are lawful because they're extremely devoted to each other - the idea of being selfish (NE) is just as unlikely as them avoiding being racist to Gnomes (LG).

Pan151
2014-11-09, 08:56 AM
That is true. However, the point is that they're not exceedingly rare. A good drow would be rare enough to raise a few eyebrows, but still common enough that you'll probably find a few if you know where to look (hint: not inside a temple of Lolth)

PersonMan
2014-11-09, 08:57 AM
I'd say it depends on why your Orcs (for example) are Chaotic Evil. If they're just born that way, then any who aren't could be evenly distributed around the other eight alignments, at least at birth. But if it's a social thing, where even potentially Good orcs are almost always molded into Evil or run off / killed, then I imagine you'd have almost only Evil, with some Neutral and a handful of Good exceptions.