View Full Version : Pathfinder Urban Barbarian and UMD

The_Scourge
2014-11-09, 01:33 PM
Can an Urban Barbarian use Use Magic Device to cast from scrolls and wands in a Controlled Rage?

Controlled Rage (Ex)
When an urban barbarian rages, instead of making a normal rage she may apply a +4 morale bonus to her Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution. This bonus increases to +6 when she gains greater rage and +8 when she gains mighty rage. She may apply the full bonus to one ability score or may split the bonus between several scores in increments of +2. When using a controlled rage, an urban barbarian gains no bonus on Will saves, takes no penalties to AC, and can still use Intelligence-, Dexterity-, and Charisma-based skills. This ability otherwise follows the normal rules for rage.

While in rage, a barbarian cannot use any Charisma-, Dexterity-, or Intelligence-based skills (except Acrobatics, Fly, Intimidate, and Ride) or any ability that requires patience or concentration.

The bolded section in Rage is the kicker. You can use the skill, but does using the skill still require patience and concentration?

grarrrg
2014-11-09, 03:00 PM
Can an Urban Barbarian use Use Magic Device to cast from scrolls and wands in a Controlled Rage?

The bolded section in Rage is the kicker. You can use the skill, but does using the skill still require patience and concentration?

Well, UMD is a CHA-based Skill, so I would say it is mostly allowed.
The exceptions being items that take longer than a Standard action to activate (or maybe a Full-Round? definitely nothing longer than a Full-Round).
And any spell you cast that has a "Duration: Concentration" would basically fail, as you couldn't concentrate properly to maintain it.

Spore
2014-11-09, 05:04 PM
I would allow it but I see controlled rage as some sort of concentrated tunnel vision concentrating on combat (Str/Dex) or yourself (Con). Maybe I wouldn't allow a calming spell or a healing to not be useable but a channelled energy ray to kill the enemy you're already focussing on? Sure!