PDA

View Full Version : Serpent's Skull (IC II)

SanguinePenguin
2014-11-09, 05:25 PM
Souls for Smuggler's Shiv

IC Thread I (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?293042-Serpent-s-Skull-(IC))
OOC Thread I (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292898)
OOC Thread II (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?352138-Serpent-s-Skull-(OOC-II))
Recruitment Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290250)

SanguinePenguin
2014-11-09, 05:26 PM
Verana puts up her palms up, beseechingly, and backs toward the vessel, "no, we're not cannibals. Do I look like one of those lunatics?" Her pearly white teeth are not sharpened to points and her eyes lack the sallow, maddened glare that Narak and his ilk possessed. "There are two others inside, Cordell and Pezock. Their ship wrecked here about two years ago. Not this one, but another wreck. The vessel I was aboard, the Everlight's Song wrecked off shore and I washed up close to here… though it was not true then, no others from that vessel still live," she says with a melancholy timbre in her voice.

Archpaladin Zousha
2014-11-09, 11:46 PM
"You must have been good at hiding to escape K'Punde's notice," Orazio replies with a shrug.

Gwynfrid
2014-11-10, 06:57 AM
"Forgive our misgivings, Verana. We have met very few friends and many enemies since our ship went aground. Did you say it was two years for you? You must have some tricks to teach us, then..." The young Zenj looks at the blonde woman, impressed.

PeglegJim
2014-11-10, 10:54 AM
"Two years. I suppose you don't have any leads on a way off then. Just managed to keep yourself alive in a rotting vessel for two years. What do you want?" the deformed man asked bluntly. "What is your reason for approaching me? A large man with a big weapon, you'd think a small group of survivors would keep their distance a bit more. I might decide I like your little vessel and take it for myself. I won't. I consider myself civilized despite what certain people would say."

SanguinePenguin
2015-05-04, 11:35 PM
The blonde woman cracks a smile, "well, I would say that we've learned to keep our heads down. We mostly keep to this island. Nothing seems to come out here. There are plenty of fish for us to catch, and mushrooms grow on the hull. Pezock and Cordell venture out more than I do, but never far. In the earlier days, things were much rougher, especially before we found this place, but we've fallen into a pattern now." Verana turns to K'punde, nodding softly at his words, "you are correct; we know of no way off the island. I was hoping you might. Still, I am glad to hear you are civilized, as a large man with big weapon is certainly useful around here. To bee frank, I just had to take the chance you were friendly… it's just been too long."

She claps her hands together, and looks to the sun falling lower in the sky, "it will be dark before long. Why don't you come in for some fish stew? We've just made a fresh batch. Dare I say we've perfected the recipe as it's the what we've eaten for a very long time. We are a little short on bowls, but I think we can take turns."

Gwynfrid
2015-05-05, 09:01 AM
Something in this woman brings in Tok'sang a feeling he is not very familiar with - trust. Flashing a rare smile, bright teeth constrasting with his dark skin, he replies: "Fish stew sounds delicious. As does a chance of making new friends!"

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-05-05, 02:13 PM
Orazio nods.

"We'd be happy to join you for the evening. We've been having a hard time of it ourselves since we crashed here a few days ago. We've been practically tearing up the island looking for a way off it."

PeglegJim
2015-05-14, 10:17 PM
K'punde stares at the woman, unblinking and unsmiling and when she's finished speaking the deformed warrior turns slightly to run his bloodshot eye over Orazio and Toksang as they speak.

"Hmph. Fair enough." He says in a harsh voice with a scoff and he drops the blade of his scythe to the ground with a thud. "Seeing as those other two seem willing. Of course if it is a trap I will show no mercy. It will be quite slow and painful." K'punde says as his scowling cleft palate shifts into a sadistic grin.

SanguinePenguin
2015-05-14, 11:46 PM
“Then please come in, my new friends," Verena smiles and motions for the group to follow as she walks inside. The party enters into a dimly lit, open space, once a section of the hull, partitioned off into private areas by salvaged flotsam. A heavy oak table sits in the center of the main area with half a dozen chairs scattered around it.

Verena calls out loudly, "Cordell, Pezock, we have guests! Will the stew be much longer?" There is no reply. "Hmm, I'll go check on them, make yourselves comfortable,” Verena proclaims as she wanders toward the back of the ship.

When Verena passes by him, Tok’sang catches a whiff of a subtle foul aroma. Although it's masked by a strong perfume, he recognizes it as it is an all too familiar smell: the stench of undeath.

Gwynfrid
2015-05-15, 03:42 PM
As he enters the dining space first, Tok'sang stops a few paces after the entrance. He motions to his comrades with his extended arm, signalling caution.

"Shh. Don't do anything hostile, but something is off," he whispers, looking intently at K'punde first, then giving a glance at Mo'o. He turns back to the inviting room, trying to remember Verena's words and facial expressions.

Did Mo'o react in any specific way?
Sense Motive to belatedly reflect on Venrara's sincerity: [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2015-05-15, 04:18 PM
Mo'o noticed nothing, barring his general distaste for being indoors, he seems content.

To the best of Tok'sang's recollection, Verena seemed sincere in all of her interactions. Were it not for the brief whiff of that faint scent of decay and the grave that he has learned to associate with the undead over the past few days, he can recall nothing alarming in her interactions.

Gwynfrid
2015-05-15, 09:23 PM
Tok'sang silently turns back to his comrades, a finger on his lips requests silence, and an extended hand urges them to stay near the entrance, with a special sign towards Mo'o indicating this is valid for him, too.

He gets in, walks around the table, looking around, admiring the nice setup job from the salvaged materials.

He calls out in the direction of the back: "Sorry, Mistress Verena, I appreciate your invitation, I really do. Can't help but think you haven't told us everything, though."

Perception [roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2015-05-15, 11:48 PM
"Well, of course I have not,” Verena announces with her return to the common area. “We only met a few minutes ago. Aside from K’punde, I don't even know your names yet. Come, sit, and let us rectify this deficiency of our relationship. Tell me your names and of how you came to the island." Verena sits in one of the chairs, crosses her legs under the ruddy brown robes, and smiles.

A 5 foot tall humanoid creature with a vague resemblance to a crow emerges into the common area in Verena’s wake. Though covered in feathers, the creature has no wings, but does possess a jet black bill and talons in place of hands and feet. He has a large sawtooth saber stuck through his rough cloth belt. He greets you, "I am Pezock. Honored to have you as guests this evening. So long it has been since I've seen a new friendly face. Stew will be ready soon." He retreats back to the kitchen.

"Excellent, now please, tell me of your arrival."

Tok'sang notices nothing else out of the ordinary.

Gwynfrid
2015-05-16, 06:43 AM
The young Zenj sighs as he takes one of the chairs and sits down.

"My name is Tok'sang, and most of us are survivors of the Jenivere, our ship ran aground a few days ago. Since then, we have mostly encountered hungry monsters and many violent creatures. And undead. Lots of undead.

This is why, Mistress Verena, and believe me, I regret being so blunt... I have to ask you: Why is it that my ears and eyes hear and see in you a friendly hostess, but my nose smells the stink of undeath about you?"

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-05-16, 10:28 PM
Orazio rolls his eyes a bit.

Oh gods, here we go again!" he mutters under his breath.

SanguinePenguin
2015-05-17, 12:54 AM
Her eyes widened in shock for a moment, “I’ve never…!” She stops herself, a moment passes before calmer demeanor returns. She takes a deep breath, "This island is maddening — we all know it. It affects us all in different ways. I shouldn't take affront at your caution. Whether it's the stench of the ocean I’m forced to bathe in or the draugr we killed underneath the ship two days ago, it doesn't really matter. It was mistake that I brought you here.” She stands up and motions back the way you entered. "I think it's for the best if we all forget that you ever came here. I wish you well, but I have to look out for my own. Please take your leave." She takes a few steps backwards, and waits for you to leave.

PeglegJim
2015-05-17, 03:07 PM
K'punde doesn't move a muscle. He just stands there like a wall of steel and bone. He looks angry, then...faintly amused. His tongue can be seen as he licks his teeth through his cleft palate. He flares his nostrils taking in a loud deep whiff of the place, trying to see if he could smell this 'undeath' the shaman was talking about.

[roll0]

K'punde scoffs.

'Mistress' he calls her. Now she thinks she can command us to leave on a slight.

SanguinePenguin
2015-05-17, 07:08 PM
The smell of a spicy stew hangs over a more subtle smell of the ocean, salt and decay.

At K’punde’s words and body language, Verena bites her lower lip. Many long seconds pass before she says softly, "this is our home; not yours."

Pezock and a tall Garundi man emerge a few moments later carrying bowls and spoons, three each, laden with a thick brown stew of fish, mushrooms, seaweed, chiles, and herbs. They place the bowls on the table. Verena does not stop them. The Garundi man motions to himself, and then the food, "Cordell. Please, eat."

"I'm afraid that our guests were just leaving."

Gwynfrid
2015-05-17, 08:32 PM
Tok'sang turns his head towards K'punde, a pained, annoyed look on his face. "I don't know where in the Expanse you learned about hospitality. Know this: Yes, she can command us to leave, just as she was and remains free to invite us in her home. Or not."

He stands up from the chair, looking at Verena straight in her eyes. "I apologize. Unfortunately, I never learned to trust." He stops, mid-sentence. Or rather, I did, and then it was taken from me, at the hands of strangers.

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-05-18, 01:07 AM
"Look, we're sorry," Orazio interjects.

"We've been stuck here for days, and we've been fighting for our lives as we've crisscrossed this island. All of us are dealing with lots of stress, and we're all jumping at shadows. We didn't mean to insult you. Please forgive my companion's terse words. Three out of four shipwrecks we've examined have had undead lurking in them, and perhaps our paranoia got the better of us."

Diplomacy:
[roll0]

PeglegJim
2015-05-18, 02:05 AM
"Hospitality?" K'punde breaks out into a bitter laugh. "You know nothing about me or my life witch man. Not the faintest idea. Spare me your foolish presumptions. But I smell it on this place too...the smell of death." K'punde's armor makes a creak as he shrugs. He marches up to the exit turning his back.

"But there is enough disorder in this retched place so if these are the rules then fine. It is clear I have no place here. I will not set foot into this place...except to scavenge of course should the worst come to pass. Dead here will get no peace."

SanguinePenguin
2015-05-18, 11:16 AM
"No, I should apologize. A politely raised concern should not have had me react so harshly. Please forgive me." K’punde slams the door behind him, and she adds, "I'm sure he'll rejoin us in a bit."

Cordell sits down, and grabs one of the bowls, "if he won't, then I will. Please join me," and the Garundi man begins to eat. Verena encourages you to join with a sweeping gesture.

Sasha sits and pulls one of the bowls close to her. She eats a spoonful, and proclaims, "it's good, we should teach Gelik the recipe."

"So, it sounds like you’ve had a rough time here. I suppose that's a given; given the location. Settling on the ships is a wiser course in many ways, the thoughts of escape are traded for those of security. Have you had many run-ins with the cannibals?"

—————————————

K’punde steps out to face the majestic view of the beginning sunset painted in rich oranges, reds, and violets. He can still faintly hear the chatter within, most words are muted, but a handful resonate clearly enough for him to follow the discussions if he chooses.

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-05-18, 11:30 PM
Orazio nods.

"Thank you for your graciousness, Verena, and your hospitality," he says, shooting a dirty look at K'Punde's back as he's leaving.

He takes a seat and partakes of the stew.

"We've encountered a few exiles and stuff, not the vast tribe camped near the old lighthouse. Quite a few fierce animals and VERY strange monsters. Akata and such. I'm surprised those things haven't come sniffing around your hideout."

SanguinePenguin
2015-05-18, 11:58 PM
Verena nods knowingly, ”the fact that we are on this smaller island, insulates us from many of the island’s dangers. Most of what we have had to deal with are undead, and the occasional sea scorpion. I have not encountered these Akata... what are they?"

Orazio is about to partake in the stew, when he spots a piece of a small brown mushroom with crimson spots. He recognizes this immediately as bloodroot mushroom, which are toxic. About 10 minutes after ingestion, the consumer vomits for a while then feels ill for about an hour (i.e., onset 10 minutes; Fort DC 17; Nauseated 1d6 rounds; then Sickened for 1 hour). Although Sasha told him about this during her lecture, she clearly isn't paying much attention right now judging by the voracity with which she eats it.

Hooray nature check!

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-05-19, 01:59 AM
Orazio notices the mushroom and tries not to panic. It seems Tok'sang may have been on to something.

"Pardon me, but are those bloodroot mushrooms in this?" he asks, hopefully loud enough to get Sasha's attention.

"I thought those were toxic. Did you mistake it for some other kind? The stew's probably not safe to eat."

Ajadea
2015-05-19, 02:00 AM
There is nothing pleasant about dragging a goat down the coastline. The wretched beast digs its cloven hooves into every crevice it can reach, bleats incessantly, and kicks when the rope is yanked too hard for its liking. Which is to say, at all. It's not a very long rope either. Unfortunately. Caerwyn's never heard a goat cuss. Well, technically, he still hasn't. But if that goat could speak, it would probably be cussing.

And the less said about trying to get it into the water, the better.

It's not even that far, and barely shin-deep at that.

The half-elf is soaked up to the waist with salt water by the time he catches up with the others.

And K'punde is already leaving, some sort of door slamming behind him. How charming. Even so, it's not too hard to follow the conversation on the other side. Caerwyn glances at K'punde's rather sour expression. "Let me guess. One of our resident mages did something stupid?" It's a safe assumption, really. He ***** his head to listen to the conversation inside. The voices don't sound as familiar as he'd like. The lead is too short to do much with. The goat mouths at the hull experimentally. Now that it's on land, if not precisely dry land, it doesn't seem to keen to get back into the water. Small mercies. "Sounds more like jabbering in there than something breaking, so I'm guessing it's not Sasha that's got you all worked up. So spill. What is it, and does anything in there need stabbing? Most things on this island seem to."

Gwynfrid
2015-05-19, 06:35 AM
When Orazio defuses the situation, Tok'sang gladly lets him take the conversation over, relieved to find himself out of the spotlight and retreating to his inner thoughts.

Trusting these people is risky, but not ever trusting anybody is no better. A man like K'punde will never find peace... or in death, maybe.

Still, that smell was there...

The sombre thoughts don't make for the happiest of meals, so, the youg Zenj attempts to cheer himself up by trying the stew. He finds it tasty and filling, and enjoys few spoonfuls, only to stop when Orazio remarks about the mushroom. What?

Knowledge(nature) [roll0]

PeglegJim
2015-05-19, 06:02 PM
The warrior stands there toying with his new weapon. It still felt strange to him but he would have practice. How much longer would he be here? Another week. Good enough. Much blood would be spilled. The words of the shaman angered him so he chose to walk when told to. Such treatment was hardly new to him after all. When the pointy eared one comes walking along the cost and asks his question K'punde scoffs. "Apeman has been saying many stupid things. The others say about the same number of stupid things they usually do. They met some people but when we said their hovel reeked of undeath--which it did, they said we should leave so I left. The way they acted....I don't think they will last long anyway but I said nothing. I'll keep this place in mind if we need to scavenge for supplies." K'punde shrugs. "If the walking dead are burried under that place and are clawing their way up as we speak or if these 'people' are really something else then yes, many things will need to be stabbed. And torn to pieces...then burned. "

SanguinePenguin
2015-05-20, 06:11 PM
Verena looks puzzled, “… Bloodroot? I've never heard of those. These mushrooms grow on the hull of the ship. We've eaten them many times without issue. Perhaps you are mistaken? Many mushroom varieties look similar." Pezock leaves his place at Verena’s side and begins walking toward the door.

Gael holds up one of the mushrooms from the bowl he was eating from, a look of horror on his face. Although he's not an expert, Tok'sang is pretty sure the mushrooms match Sasha's earlier description. Sasha too draws one out and examines it closely. "Well, the good news is my poison training might pay off! The bad news is that we will have to wait about 10 minutes to see how well my lessons stuck!” She shrugs with amusement, then eats another spoonful, "really good stew by the way!"

---------

Outside the ship, K'punde and Caerwyn are serenaded by the bleating of the obstinate goat as they watch the sunset.

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-05-21, 07:22 PM
Orazio sighs a bit.

"You know Sasha, you're far too chipper for someone who probably poisoned themselves."

He turns back to Verena. Oya flaps her wings a bit and makes a soft cawing sound.

"You've NEVER gotten sick by eating these things? I've heard of some people building an immunity to various poisons by taking small doses over time, but even they'd still become sick initially as their body reacted to it."

He thinks back to what Sasha said, trying to remember if she mentioned bloodroot mushrooms being easily mistaken for other harmless kinds, or if someone can build up an immunity to them through time.

Knowledge (nature): [roll0]

Gwynfrid
2015-05-21, 09:40 PM
Tok'sang shakes his head, incredulous. "I can't believe you, Sasha! But at the same time, I find you reassuring. Are you saying we might get sick, but this isn't deadly or anything?

... Of course, none of that explains why our guests have never found these dangerous..."

Ajadea
2015-05-22, 01:56 PM
"Survivors?" Caerwyn asks, a frown creasing his brow. "In this dump of a wreck? And they haven't been killed by something or another coming out of the water yet?" That didn't sound right at all. "If there are survivors, real survivors, then we should see what they want and try to get them back to camp. What are they doing wasting time in there with-" he breaks off to listen in. Their voices aren't all that quiet, but there's people talking over people, Sasha's cheer and Orazio's worry and someone insisting on something. "Something about mushrooms?"

PeglegJim
2015-05-22, 11:17 PM
K'punde scoffs. "Yes, they somehow survived in this rotting piece of refuse. One of them looked strong but I mostly think they were just lucky somehow. It is mostly a mystery to me. They're weak and soft and hide behind the veneer of a civilization of somewhere else. They went to eat inside. I mostly think it's a waste of time if they shall not join us. So let them eat for now. I will keep watch. From the smell something will need to be put down soon." Kpunde plants the blade of his weapon in the ground to punctuate his last few words there.

SanguinePenguin
2015-05-22, 11:54 PM
Sasha laughs, "well, if I'm going to be puking, I'd rather it taste like stew than bile. Yeah, these won't kill us. I've actually never tasted them... they have good flavor!"

According to Sasha, with appropriate and careful well-informed preparation one can develop an immunity to almost any poison, Orazio knows the mushrooms aren't super deadly, so he suspects one could. She said they are pretty distinctive and unique. It is possible that some variety indigenous to the island could mimic them, but that seems fairly unlikely to Orazio.

Verena says, "well, I have been sick on this island many times before, and I definitely recall lots of vomiting. We always assumed it was just a facet of living in the jungle - illness comes so often here, but perhaps it could have been the mushrooms and we have grown resistant. You have my deepest apologies if you fall ill," she frowns, disappointment wracked across her face. "I invited all of you in for a pleasant meal in hopes we could form a kinship and trust, and that we could help each other to survive. Maybe find a way off the island, or at least a better way to live here together... if these mushrooms are poisonous, then please forgive our ignorance."

------------------

Outside the ship, pressed close to the door, Caerwyn can make out every word said within.

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-05-23, 12:45 AM
"I see," Orazio replies.

"If it's a way off the island you seek, we may be able to help you yet. We are in the process of winning our way off Smuggler's Shiv ourselves. One denizen of the island has offered us a way out, if we can help purge the island of what plagues it. The akata I mentioned before are one of these plagues. Terrible beasts from beyond the stars, they move through teh world without leaving a trace. You can't hear them, and the elements can't harm them, and their bites place their young within you, turning you into a kind of zombie to incubate the monster until it matures into another akata. About the only thing we know that can harm them is salt water, which is probably why they haven't bothered you. They wouldn't dare cross to your wreck."

Oya nods.

"I know you're listening, Caerwyn, and before you object, honesty is one of the most effective ways to overcome fear."

Orazio sighs a bit. While Oya was proving helpful, he felt she was starting to relish antagonizing Caerwyn out of spite for his suspicion of her.

Gwynfrid
2015-05-24, 06:50 AM
Tok'sang listens to Verena's explanation, puzzled. That could well be true... Trusting her, is that worth it? The effects are mild anyway, or so Sasha thinks... On a sudden impulse (or is that the desire not to pass for a wimp in the eyes of the fascinating, adventurous, and, yes, attractive redhead?) he goes at the stew again.

"It is very good, truly. Living in the jungle, we had to make do with the ingredients we found, sometimes. Indigestion can be the consequence, but..." but it was Father who knew the remedies to make sure it didn't turn out worse, he realizes. Once more, the memory of his past life and parents comes to strike him with a deep pang of fear and regret, and he goes silent for a minute.

SanguinePenguin
2015-05-25, 12:58 AM
Verena nods, "thank you for the warning of these Akata. We venture onto the island occasionally, and falling victim to one of these beasts sounds a terrible end. We've seen the red Mountain Devil and its kin, blessedly it's never struck here. Two cannibals came here once, but we managed to defeat them. The shelter the ship provides…”

——————————————————————

Outside the ship, the last sliver of the ever reddening sun falls below the horizon.

——————————————————————

In the blink of an eye, the attractive blonde woman before you is replaced by a terrifying form. Her once pinkish skin is transformed to desiccated, grayed, withered flesh clinging tightly to bones where it has not rotted away entirely; her long blonde hair now just a few patches of thin white strands; her vibrant green eyes become empty, sunken sockets; her brown robes are replaced by tattered vestments.

Cordell and Pezock transform in the same instant. The former into a still fleshy corpse, slightly bloated and infested with maggots in multiple fissures along his body, his clothes mostly intact. The latter too takes on a visage of death, most of his feathers lost, his beak cracked, and maggots writhe within a series of claw marks on his chest.

The transformation doesn't cause the speaking corpse to miss a beat, however the sweet voice is now cracked and husky, “… Insulates us from… Damn. Too soon.” After a brief glance at her skeletal hand, the corpse that was Verena throws up her arms and mutters some words softly. Pezock instantly moves the latch in place at the door, barring the exit… or entrance to the ship. Cordell jumps up from his seat and swings his clawed hand at Orazio, but the blows deflects off his armor harmlessly.

I determined surprise round through an opposed bluff versus sense motive, and gave modifiers based on the character's portrayed skepticism. The party’s initiative was low.

K’punde, Caerwyn and Tok’sang (but not Mo’o) can act in the surprise round (standard action - standing up from the chair is a free action here). After that, it's the villains in the first round, then everyone goes.

Also, APZ - Orazio's sheet seems a dead link, I swear I saw it recently (if Orazio's sense motive is +12, he can go too, but I didn't think it was that high).

Cordell vs Orazio: [roll0] Damage: [roll1]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7517332/DD/Ship_Almas_Ruin_rndSup.png

Door between !&J 7-8 is now latched

V - Verena
P - Pezock
C - Cordell
purple G - Goat

Barring the table, no special terrain

Gwynfrid
2015-05-25, 06:57 AM
Tok'sang's shock immediately gives way to an instinctive, animal reflex of survival. The chair falls on the floor behind him with a loud noise, as he finds himself standing, coarse hair sprouting from his elongated arms, his nails hardening into claws, and his face and features taking a hint of the simian.

EDIT - I forgot to add the style stance, now done

Standard action: Totem Transformation
Free action: Stand up
Swift action: Enter Snapping Turtle stance

Tok'sang
HP 28/28
AC 15 (+2 dex, +2 armor, +1 shield with Snapping Turtle Style) - Saves: Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +8
BAB +2 Attack: 2 slams +5/+4 (1d6+3) - CMB: +5 CMD: 16 (Grapple: CMB +10, CMD 19)
Str 17, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 20, Cha 10

Mo'o
HP 13/13
Size Medium; Speed 30 ft., climb 30 ft.
HD 3
AC 16 (+3 dex, +3 natural) - Saves: Fort +3 Ref +6 Will +2
BAB +2 Attack bite +4 (1d4+2), 2 claws +4 (1d4+2) - CMB: +4 CMD: 17
Str 14, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 7
Skills: Perception +5, Survival +2, Swim +5
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Power Attack
Special Qualities Low-Light Vision, Scent, Link, Share Spells, Evasion
Tricks: Attack x2, Defend, Down, Flank, Guard, Hunt, Track

PeglegJim
2015-05-25, 11:22 AM
A smirk slowly spreads through K'punde's deformed face as he hears his suspicions confirmed. In that moment his manner of acting was validated and he was back in the fray of battle where he felt understood. "Come large eared one. Battle awaits us."
The warrior bursts through the entrance.
Move up to I9
[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: Changing the target from Pezzock to the door which will be torn down with the 19 used as a Strength check.

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-05-26, 12:18 AM
Orazio shouts in shock as the horrific transformation occurs.

He summons the rainbow fire to his hands and tries to blast the thing that just attacked him with it.

Orazio casts burning hands. Cordell must make a DC 16 Reflex save for half damage.

[roll0]

Orazio
HP 31/31
AC 18 (+2 dex, +6 armor) - Saves: Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +4
BAB +2 Attack: Longspear +2 (1d8+3) - CMB: +5 CMD: 17
Str 16, Dex 14, Con 16, Int 19, Wis 13, Cha 17

Ajadea
2015-05-26, 03:22 AM
"Well, excuse me for being late," Caerwyn snaps back at Oya. From the other side of the. closed. door. Well, if that lot in the wreck were bothered by the idea of someone listening in, it was far too late now. "It's not like-" the sound of the latch clicking shut hammers in his ear. He rocks back on his heels and hammers on the door, but only succeeds in making his hand hurt. "We need to get this door open now!" Caerwyn takes a half-step back to let K'punde and his muscles deal with that particular obstacle, crossing his hand over his chest and wreathing himself in familiar armor even as the door flies off its hinges.

Casting Mage Armor for now. Don't wanna get AOOed.

Caerwyn: HP 20/20, AC 17 (Touch 13, Flat-footed 14)
Spells:
0: Arcane Mark, Dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Mending
1: Chill Touch, Air Bubble
2: Lipstitch

SanguinePenguin
2015-05-26, 12:54 PM
K'punde kicks the door, the first blow shifts the door significantly, the second results in a loud crash, and the entire double door falls inward, leaving a gaping hole. Caerwyn shrouds himself in magical armor, while Tok'sang undergoes his own transformation. The goat bleats and sprints off, the reluctant to go in the water it seems to just neurotically prance about the island.

Verena finishes her spell, the floorboards crack, split, and rend. Two undead creatures, which look as if they were once cannibals with their pentagram scars and filed teeth, crawl from the nascent hole in the floorboards. They charge at Tok'sang. The undead woman shouts, "I had hoped we could do this the easy way - with you vomiting incessantly. I didn't want to lose any of my progeny, but all of you will make fine additions to those who remain. With these numbers, we can take the cannibals' camp from Nylithati! We won't need to fear the rats! This will be our island to rule like Gods!"

Cornell swings at Orazio again, this time with both claws - both neither makes it through the arrmor. Pezock draws his sawtooth saber, steps into a flanking position and strikes at Orazio from behind - the blade just grazing him. The two newcomer cannibals attack Tok'sang in concert, both connecting with their vile claws and drawing blood.

Orazio moves to a safer position and fire springs from his hands, blasting Cordell, Verena, and one of the cannibals. Cordell takes the brunt of it, while Verena and the cannibal get away with minor wounds.

Orazio did not have an action during surprise round. I gave him one here, as well as a 5 foot step so he could hit three targets. I hope that's okay.

Cordell vs Orazio (L claw): [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
Cordell vs Orazio (R claw): [roll2] Damage: [roll3]
Pezock vs Orazio (sawtooth sabre): [roll4] Damage: [roll5]

C1 vs Tok'sang (R claw): [roll6] Damage: [roll7]
C2 vs Tok'sang (R claw): [roll8] Damage: [roll9]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7517332/DD/Ship_Almas_Ruin_rnd1.png

Door lays in !&J7 - No obstacle

V - Verena
P - Pezock
C - Cordell
C1 - Cannibal 1
C2 - Cannibal 2

Barring the table, no special terrain

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-05-26, 04:25 PM
Orazio backs away from Cordell, waving his hands and chanting, until he reaches Sasha. He grabs her arm and many-colored fire surges from him to her, but in trying to fend off Cordell and Pezzock it fizzles.

Orazio attempts to cast protection from evil on Sasha.

[roll0]

Spell failed!

PeglegJim
2015-05-27, 09:19 PM
K'punde's feet thud as he stomps in onto what was left of the door. Through the cleft palate he's gritting his teeth, smiling as he raises his scythe to the right. He's about to cleave himself a slice of the undead crow creature that used to call itself that ridiculous name. He roars as he brings his scythe swinging. The warrior is once again happily in his element as he cleaves through the undead things. There's a smug sense of satisfaction as he does so.

Moving to I9
[roll0]
[roll1]

PeglegJim
2015-05-27, 09:23 PM
1d20+9

Finally a crit!!!

Gwynfrid
2015-05-27, 10:33 PM
Suddenly cornered against the table and attacked on two sides, Tok'sang cries out in pain when the foul claws tear his flesh. He retaliates in kind, while Mo'o, reacting to his friend's distress, rushes forward.

Tok'sang
Full attack on C1 in the hopes that Gael can finish it.
claw #1 [roll0] damage [roll1]
claw #2 [roll2] damage [roll3]

Mo'o
Move to E9 (If Pezock is still standing, then this risks an AoO)
Attack C2: bite [roll4] damage [roll5]

Tok'sang
HP 20/28
AC 15 (+2 dex, +2 armor, +1 shield with Snapping Turtle Style) - Saves: Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +8
BAB +2 Attack: 2 slams +5/+5 (1d6+3) - CMB: +5 CMD: 16 (Grapple: CMB +10, CMD 19)

Mo'o
HP 13/13
HD 3

Ajadea
2015-05-30, 08:47 PM
Caerwyn steps into the wreck in the wake of the door. Despite the frenzied fighting on all sides, his eyes remain firmly fixed on Verena. One hand draws a dagger - the other toys with a bright sliver of metal. "Oh, do shut up." That's not the incantation, but it might as well be. It's very catchy. The sliver - a needle - flies free of his hands, directly at Verena's mouth.

Moving to H5 and Casting lipstitch: Fort DC 17 negates. Damage: [roll0]

Spells:
1: Chill Touch, Air Bubble

SanguinePenguin
2015-05-31, 12:34 AM
With a nigh unearthly celerity, K'punde's scythe slices at Pezock low, then back again - this time high. For an instant, the lack of resistance from flesh and bone lead him to fear he missed, but the dead crow crumples a moment later - one slice made completely clean through the waist above the hips, the other clean through the throat, removing head and torso completely.

Tok'sang manages to strike the cannibal corpse, but the claw wound partially closes a moment later. Mo'o just careful fails to connect with his teeth. Caerwyn's spell sends a needle through Verena's mouth, but the dead woman quickly tears the needle out, tearing ragged gaps in her lips, a little before a third loop can be finished.

Gael screams the words of power, and the faint glow from his tattoo's shine beneath his clothing. A torrent of fire erupts, engulfing Verena and Cordell, the cannibal corpse managing to evade the brunt of the strike. Sasha darts at Cordell, although her kukri bounces off his shoulder, her rapier pierces his eye socket. His burnt corpse collapses to the ground.

Through torn lips, Verena cries out, "you cur!" She shifts closer to the table, throws up her hands and the bulk of the dimply lit room descends into total darkness. In the darkness, Tok'sang is accosted from both sides by powerful blows. The final one strikes his skull, and he drops to the ground with a soft thud.

Darkness throughout the greyed ara. Those without darkvision in the area are effectively blinded (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Blinded). All PCs may go now - except for Tok'sang who is knocked out.

C1 vs Tok'sang (L claw): [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
C1 vs Tok'sang (R claw): [roll2] Damage: [roll3]
C2 vs Tok'sang (L claw): [roll4] Damage: [roll5]
C2 vs Tok'sang (R claw): [roll6] Damage: [roll7]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7517332/DD/Ship_Almas_Ruin_rnd2.png

Door lays in !&J7 - No obstacle

Gray area = darkness

V - Verena
C1 - Cannibal 1
C2 - Cannibal 2

Gwynfrid
2015-05-31, 05:53 AM
Tok'sang takes multiple blows and utters a soft cry of pain as he collapses to the ground. Next to him, Mo'o senses the extreme danger his friend is in, and reacts by lashing out at the unnatural horror in front of him.

Mo'o
Full Attack C2:
claw [roll0] miss chance (need 51+) [roll1] damage [roll2]
claw [roll3] miss chance (need 51+) [roll4] damage [roll5]
bite [roll6] miss chance (need 51+) [roll7] damage [roll8]

Tok'sang
Con check DC10 with -1 penalty [roll9]

Tok'sang
HP -1/28
Stable
Normal stats:
BAB +2 Attack: 2 slams +5/+5 (1d6+3) - CMB: +5 CMD: 16 (Grapple: CMB +10, CMD 19)

Mo'o
HP 13/13
HD 3

SanguinePenguin
2015-06-02, 12:12 AM
Panic takes Gael, as the darkness falls. Still, he does what he knows best and blasts the same area he was trained on from before. The undead make no noise, but the smell of burnt flesh can be detected throughout the room.

Sasha laughs maniacally as the lights go out, "HAH! This is more like it! The deck stacked- OW!!! Stupid table! - deck stacked against us! Victory is going to taste so sweet!" She files in next to Mo'o and strikes blindly at the target with her rapier.

In case the variability surrounding the NPC actions is crippling anyone, I made them act now.

Gael Damage: [roll0]
Verena Ref: [roll1]
C1 Ref: [roll2]

Sasha move to E10
Sasha acrobatics: [roll3]
Sasha perception: [roll4] (I guess pinpointing only matters if they had moved)
Sasha Rapier: [roll5] Damage: [roll6] Miss (51+ hits): [roll7]

PeglegJim
2015-06-02, 09:16 AM
K'punde wrinkles his heavily scarified face in disgust as the crow thing falls apart. He heard the shaman go down and can only breifly shake his head. "Poor fool shaman. Shoulda killed them all and taken their things when I had the chance. Something so weak could never survive in a place like this..." K'punde mutters. The warrior moves up to the sorceress or whatever this creature was that calls itself Verena, he growls as he swings his weapon at her aiming some place high up. He can't see so he uses a combination of his hearing and his memory to find his mark.

Moving to F6 to attack Verena
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-06-02, 12:47 PM
Orazio waves his hands and his fire licks into the darkness, but failing to illuminate it. The flames begin to take the shape of an eagle.

Orazio casts summon monster I to summon a celestial eagle. It'll appear next round.

Orazio
HP 31/31
BAB +2 Attack: Longspear +2 (1d8+3) - CMB: +5 CMD: 17

Ajadea
2015-06-05, 01:51 PM
A steady stream of curses marks Caerwyn's position even as darkness envelops the room. His eyes are worthless against this. Magic fills him as he spits another spell, words catching in his teeth. His ponytail extends and lashes out towards Verena, relying on length more than precise aim to hit the sorceress.

Move to G5 to attack Verena with Chill Touch delivered via Prehensile Hair - if I can't do that I'll just move to F5 instead and risk the AoO

[roll0] add 2 if moving to F5
If it hits: Will Save DC 16 vs Panic for [roll1] rounds

Spells:
1: Air Bubble, Chill Touch (CAST - 3 charges left)

SanguinePenguin
2015-06-05, 06:18 PM
With Tok'sang down, Mo'o faces his fears and attacks the undead through the darkness. The ape manages to catch his teeth on the bony flesh. The normal flash of Gael's spell is represented for once solely by a loud whooshing of the vaccuum when the suddenly heated air disperses. The scent of burned flesh accompanies the slightly odd smell the air takes a moment later. Sasha feels her blade connect, but the absensce of response from her target frustrates her.

K'punde steps into the darkness, from memory he moves through the field, just barely keeping his feet when he bumps into Orazio casting a spell. He stops near where Verena stood moments before. He feels the scythe connect, and hears the tearing of flesh followed by some movement. Caerwyn, with necromatic energy surrounding his flesh, extends his hair and reaches into the same space - for a moment, he believes she had moved, but one of the strands touches near the ground... where Verena's body lay motionless.

Sasha manages to avoid getting hit, but she can feel one of the blows deflect off her armor. Flailing with her rapier, she shouts, "Crap! I think this one moved!"

Although Orazio cannot see it, he knows the celestial eagle has joined them in the room.

Darkness throughout the greyed area. Those without darkvision in the area are effectively blinded (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#TOC-Blinded). All PCs may go now - except for Tok'sang who is knocked out.

In case anything was unclear in the post:
- Verena is destroyed (or faking) - determined by Caerwyn
- C2 is still around and attacked, but then moved
- C1 did not attack and may be destroyed, but no one really knows the status
- As the eagle can see, it should be able to target without issue
- The eagle's location is up to Orazio - if it is within a 5ft... flap? of a target, it can make a full attack
- Mo'o has scent which will help him to pinpoint enemies

C2 vs Sasha (L claw): [roll0] Damage: [roll1]
C2 vs Sasha (R claw): [roll2] Damage: [roll3]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7517332/DD/Ship_Almas_Ruin_rnd3.png

Door lays in I&J7 - No obstacle

Gray area = darkness

C1 - Cannibal 1 (former?) location
C2 - Cannibal 2 (former?) location

PeglegJim
2015-06-07, 04:14 PM
K'punde takes a second to sense out his target. Smell, hearing, touch whatever. He keeps perfectly still looking for his next clue. Finding undead in the dark was tricky but that wouldn't stop him until he felt the scythe go right through the creature's neck.

[roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2015-06-07, 04:50 PM
K'punde listens carefully, he hears Orazio and Caerwyn behind him, Sasha, Gael and Mo'o to the right. There are footfalls he is fairly certain are not one of his ally's in the top part of the ship. He only hears a single creature moving though.

Cannibal 2 is in square C8
Cannibal 1 is probably dead

Gwynfrid
2015-06-07, 04:50 PM
Mo'o, having hit his opponent once and sensed it moving away, uses his sense of smell to track it down. Sniffing the air around, he moves straight in the direction that carries the worst of the stench of death, and moves to attack.

All right, if I understand the Scent rules correctly...

Move action to smell the enemy's direction:
- If he can smell two undead or more moving, he'll stay next to Tok'sang and take a defensive position as best he can.
- If only one undead is on the move, he'll follow to attack. He can pinpoint the correct location if within 5ft.

Perception if necessary

If the cannibal remained within 10 ft of him, then a 5-ft step is enough to get within reach, so he can also attack:
Claw [roll1] and roll]1d100 damage

If the cannibal remained within 5 ft of him, then a full attack is possible:
Claw #2 [roll3] and roll]1d100 damage
Bite [roll5] and roll]1d100 damage [roll6]

Tok'sang
HP -1/28
Stable
Normal stats:

Mo'o
HP 13/13
HD 3

PeglegJim
2015-06-07, 11:06 PM
"Heh." The deformed warrior laughs through his mangled, bestial cleft palate and steps up to his next target he slowly takes two steps, takes a deep breath and swings hard.

Move to D7
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Ajadea
2015-06-08, 03:18 PM
Caerwyn skims over Verena's still body with his hair. Undead didn't need to breathe, of course. "I think that's Verena down..." A lock of blond hair runs over her withered face. Caerwyn flexes his fingers, and deliberately launches a shock of magic into her prone form.

Move up to E5 and touch attack into E6 to Chill Touch Verena - I have no doubt she's smart enough to fake.
[roll0] [roll1] 51+ hits and Will DC 16 vs panic for [roll2] rounds

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-06-09, 12:32 AM
Orazio calls to the eagle with rainbow feathers he's just conjured.

"Kill any undead you can!"

The bird takes to the air and seeks the nearest undead being it can find, light flaring up on its talons as it savages it.

Celestial Eagle uses Smite Evil and attacks the nearest undead that it can see.

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll=Talon Damage 2]1d4+e

SanguinePenguin
2015-06-09, 01:15 AM
Mo'o strikes the undead, but barely wounds it. K'punde locates the creature, but does little more than attack the air. Caerwyn finds proof of death on Verena's motionless form, no reaction at all when necromantic energies are driven into its body.

Then, Orazio's eagle cries as it enters the fray. The celestial creature tears into the last standing enemy. The body drops the the bird returns to Orazio in the darkness. Only the beating of it's wings as it tries to hover inform him that the task is done.

Sasha cries out again, this time in query, "is that it? Are they all dead? Or dead-er?"

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-06-09, 11:47 AM
"I think so!" Orazio shouts back.

"Where's Tok'Sang, I thought I heard him go down!?"

Gwynfrid
2015-06-09, 11:50 AM
Mo'o sniffs the air, trying to find any remaining opponents.

Perception [roll0]

If he can't find any, he'll go back to stand by Tok'sang, and possibly pick him up to carry him to a place with light.

PeglegJim
2015-06-09, 06:37 PM
K'punde sniffs and tries to feel out his next targets as he waits for the darkness to fade. He grips his scythe and keeps silent as the others speak. Right now the shaman wasn't the concern. Not while there were abominations to be crushed.

[roll0]

Ajadea
2015-06-10, 02:26 PM
Caerwyn shakes his head, then belatedly realizes just how stupid the gesture was. "Dunno know what happened to monkey boy. I'll try to find him.". He listens for a hint of breath, the rustle of movement. Anything that might hint at either a corpse still mobile or a shaman still alive.

[roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2015-06-10, 02:39 PM
Gael stumbles away from the fray a bit and cries out, "there is light over here. Right of the door we entered through."

Caerwyn and Mo'o find Tok'sang at about the same time. There is no further danger sensed by anyone - beyond the looming doom solely from being on this island, of course. Once crowded into the small region of light, Tok'sang's injuries, while substantial, do not appear life threatening.

Gael adds, "I think that magical darkness could last for several minutes - depending on how potent Ver-... that creature 's magic was. We could just wait it out."

Ajadea
2015-06-11, 11:40 AM
Caerwyn frowns at Tok'sang's wounds, or at least in that general direction. "Did anyone else notice these undead weren't linked to the creepy evil undead goddess? Or at least they didn't think they were. Not fond of her, either. Talking undead. Undead factions." He groans, raking a hand through his hair. "Things can't ever be simple, can they? You think there's anything else worth taking in this rotting wreck? Besides poison soup?"

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-06-11, 08:22 PM
Orazio calls the white fire and lays hands on Tok'Sang.

[roll0]

PeglegJim
2015-06-11, 10:02 PM
"Then I will wait." K'punde drops his scythe's head onto the ground with a loud thud. His armor makes a clank as he rolls his shoulders and groans. He sniffs loudly.

"I do not like this complication. But it just means more things to cut down and burn at the end of the day. Maybe each dead thing makes me closer to getting off of here. Or maybe not and I'm just practicing to spend the rest of my life here. Either way. I say the wreck is worth checking. There should be something. Even arrows would be useful."

Gwynfrid
2015-06-11, 10:30 PM
Tok'sang opens his eyes. "Ouch... Those were horrible," he says, shaking his head. As his eyes focus, he recognizes Orazio. "Thank you, my friend. Once more, I'm glad you're with us."

SanguinePenguin
2015-06-12, 12:37 AM
With Tok'sang awake, and no danger pressing, the group waits for the darkness to vanish. Once it does, the corpses are all present and thoroughly destroyed (Caerwyn checks with the Deathwatch Eyes to make certain). Among the dead, coins, a small ruby, and two magical items are found - the sawtooth sabre Pezock wielded, and the cloak that Verena wore.

The ship is otherwise fairly barren. There is a cookpot in the back, with a large fire still burning. As these were undead, it makes you wonder how fresh the fish in the stew really was and whether the peppers drowned that foulness out too. Verena wasn't lying about one thing - the bloodroot mushrooms do grow on the ship. It is while investigating the soup that the projectile vomiting begins. Sasha and Gael both begin retching and puking in the corner. After about thirty second of this, Sasha chokes out, somehow cheerfully, "at least the potentially bad seafood is out of our system, right Gael!" The sorcerer only groans in response.

Outside, night has fallen - only the last glow from the sun illuminates the sky as the moon has yet to rise. The sounds of the angry goat bleating in hatred of the water it refuses to cross drown out all other noises of the night.

DC 17 fort or undergo the same vomiting, followed by an hour of being sickened.

Cloak of Resistance +1
Sawtooth Sabre +1
2 pp, 36 gp, 10 sp
Small Ruby

Gwynfrid
2015-06-12, 09:05 AM
[roll0] including the benefit of Sasha's expertise.

Tok'sang empties his stomach just as painfully as Gael and Sasha. In a weak voice, he says: "I feel horrible, but I still don't want to spend the night here. How about we make it back to camp and rest there?"

PeglegJim
2015-06-12, 02:45 PM
K'punde's deformed features contort into a look of disgust at T'oksang. "We got what we needed. There are a few worthy trinkets here." The warrior says in his harsh, guttural, rumbling voice. "Let's be off. No use staying. These things are best done quickly. In-out. Like nighttime raiders, kill the targets, grab their things, and move on." K'punde quickly motions with his neck to the others and walks out of the hut, callously stepping on the dead as he does so.

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-06-12, 11:52 PM
"Never thought I'd say this, but I agree with K'Punde. Let's leave this ship far, FAR behind."

SanguinePenguin
2015-06-18, 04:56 PM
Although Tok'sang, Gael and Sasha feel a bit ill from their posioning, the group heads back Aycenia groves under the cover of increasing darkness. The eerie flourescent algae keeps the water to the right glowing for the journey back. Once the tree is in sight, the group presses back through the jungle. By the time you reach the grove, the ill members of the party are feeling better (but looking forward to genuine rest).

Daxtin greets your arrival, "that took longer than expected." Noting the wounds he adds, "you ran into trouble... I'm glad you are all back. What was it this time?"

Even as the halfling asks, Jask hurries over and healing glow effuses the party.

[roll0]

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-06-18, 06:35 PM
"The shipwreck we went to explore had more undead in it. These ones offered us dinner and tried to poison us to make us easier to kill."

"At the very least, we've sent them to the Boneyard and they won't bother us," Oya adds.

Gwynfrid
2015-06-19, 07:41 AM
Tok'sang simply nods, not wanting to discuss the unpleasant memory of yet another painful ship exploration.

"Thank you, my friend. I took a thorough beating today, though. I'll need to call on the help of the spirits, in addition to that of Nethys through your hands."

He closes his eyes, lifts his face towards the darkening sky, listening to the sounds of the jungle as the animals of the night begin to stir.

"Esprit de l'alizé
La journée me fut dure
J'ai pris une dérouillée
Il me faut une cure."

Cure light wounds [roll0]
Now at 27 out of 28 if I count correctly. A good night should take care of the rest.

SanguinePenguin
2015-06-23, 11:38 PM
Despite the vague illness felt by several, and the events of the day, the mood is rather light in the sacred grove of the dryad. Aycenia is a kind host, if a bit begrudging the necessity to act as one. No fires are permitted, but the insects don't seem to bother you here - you see them nearby, but they never touch down on your skin. The warmth still clings to the thick humid air late into the night. Rest comes easy among the mossy grove. A watch is kept, but this is the safest you have felt since on the Jenivere. For many of you, it's the safest you've felt in years.

You sit across the table from Captain Kovack of the Jenivere. Dozens of vipers cling to his torso, one to his neck, all with their fangs sunk deep into his flesh - their bodies writhing back and forth, but he makes no effort to remove them. He just stares at you, and you at him. You think his expression conveys sadness, but he says nothing. After a long, unwavering, sorrowful gaze, his face crashes into the table. The vipers unlatch simultaneously and slither out the door. On the surface of the table, a message is scrawled in his blood. You try to read it, but the characters make no sense. Clawed fingers strike your face, blood spraying, as the captain lashes out suddenly, poison still oozing from the snakebites in his flesh. You suddenly feel dizzy and fall over, awaking to the morning sun.

--------------------------------------------------

Come morning, the decision is made to hunt the akata. Aycenia looks at your map and informs you, "this is where I know they hunt, they've been spotted here, here, here, here, and over here. I suspect they have a den someone the middle of that region, but I can't be sure. If you go there and look for their tracks though, you should be sure to find them. Look for where the earth looks dead, grayed, like ash. And watch out, they are intelligent hunters, and may be stalking you. Again, you have my gratitude for this. Do be careful," the beautiful dryad bows here head, the leaf-like blades of hair rustling at the act.

Looking a little pale, Gael says, "I think I should say back at the camp, at least for a bit. I'm feeling a little under the weather, I think those old fish might have made me ill."

“Well, if he is out then I would love to join you," Gelick says with a laugh. “Frankly, I'm getting a little bored, and after Sasha regaled me with tales of her adventures of yesterday, I admit I'm feeling the itch of the wanderlust - after all, I am a gnome, a bard and a Pathfinder... one soon to be in excellent standing again," he slaps the logbook of the Nightvoice with a wink. "Surely something as stupid as hunting these creatures will scratch that itch, hopefully not fatally,” the last words uttered under his breath.

Following the beach path they have traversed so often, the party heads back toward the silent, but branches off to the right onto the path by the ocean quickly cutting into the forest. The journey takes several hours, but eventually they reach the region they believe is the akita’s hunting ground. With eyes peeled, and guard up, they search for tracks or any other signs of the akata. It takes some wandering, but the gnome eventually cries out, "either several parties of termites had bonfires last night, or I think we've got akata tracks!"

Sorry, I got held up for a few days.

PeglegJim
2015-06-24, 11:02 AM
K'punde sleeps a good distance away from the others, he sleeps fully armored and tosses and turns in his sleep. He even throws a punch as a nearby tree in his restless slumber. The warrior wakes up with a loud groan. He frowns at Gael for staying behind but he says nothing. As Gellick runs up his bloodshot gaze stands on the gnome for a long time. He stares at this strange creature he's had no prior experience with as he closely follows the gnome's words. As the akata tracks are found, K'punde stoops down to get a good look at the tracks as he wrinkles his nose. "Very good." The warrior says, seemingly impressed for once. He tries to see where they're going as he knows what they are.

[roll0]

"Akata are not just fast and intelligent but also move almost silently. Anything killed by them should be burned to not rise up again. We'll be in for a fight. I want to slaughter every one of these creatures. I want how much they comprehend fear and pain their eyes. No running this time, we end this threat for good." He slams the butt of his scythe into the ground for emphasis.

Gwynfrid
2015-06-26, 07:22 AM
Waken by his horrible nightmare, Tok'sang perforce rises before anybody else does. His eyes puffy and his head full with horrible images, he feels no appetite to eat, and even less to share his feelings with his companions. The exception is Mo'o, who woke up at exactly the same time. Tok'sang doesn't know if the ape is capable of nightmares - hopefully not the same as his! - but his friend, as always, seems to read his mind. The young Zenj begins to scratch his friends' back, picking out parasites, dirt and thorns from Mo'o's fur, an exercise he always finds quite soothing.

After that, the two climb the highest tree in the glade, and Tok'sang spends half an hour there meditating and praying to the spirits. He comes down refreshed, ready for breakfast and the task at hand.

"Caerwyn, I recall you told us of the akata's weakness with seawater. Before we set out, we should get by the beach and stock up on some of it. If, as you say, it burns them like acid, it could prove very valuable. We didn't throw away the vials for potions we used, right?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Gelick notices the tracks, Tok'sang comes to have a look. "Do you think these are fresh?" he enquires.

Renewed spells. Does Sasha come along as well?
In the loot list we have a bunch of used potions, we could repurpose the containers to carry seawater.

SanguinePenguin
2015-06-26, 04:50 PM
At the beach, the six vials that had contained potions are filled with salt water.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I would imagine these must be fairly fresh, as the rains would probably wash it away," Gelik replies. K'punde easily follows the tracks. The tracks loop around the jungle, merge with another set, then finally an even larger set, lastly they meet up with tracks both coming and going when the cave comes into sight. The cave itself is rather small, more like a gap between two boulders with a fallen tree overhead. Inside the cave, stand two cannibals. Their bodies are coated in the unmistakable pentagram scars, but their heads are lumpy with the long, blue tongues marking them as void zombies. The tongues themselves are rooting through the corpse of a jungle goat.

The jungle is very thick here, the ground is coated in dense roots and brambles slowing all movement.

Only Gelik came. Sasha stayed back at camp this time.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7517332/DD/Jungle_cave_rnd1.png

All trees (brown) and rocks (gray) are impassible.

All green is difficult terrain.

Z1 - Void Zombie 1
Z2 - Void Zombie 2

Gwynfrid
2015-06-27, 11:43 AM
"Before we attack, let me make sure there's no ambush", Tok'sang whispers to his companions. He steps back, to begin a low chant in his strange language.

"Esprit de la futaie
Révèle ces horreurs
Dans leur difformité
Elles ne nous font pas peur."

His eyes take on a soft orange glow, and he looks all around the area and in every direction around him, scanning the ground as well as the high branches for any sign of the akata.

Casting Detect Aberration.

Ajadea
2015-06-27, 07:58 PM
Upon arriving back at camp, Caerwyn quickly falls into the deep, dreamless sleep of the exhausted and slightly bruised. He wakes up early to a rustling of feathers, and joins the others in their deliberations. Once the decision is made to hunt akata, he sets about preparing spells for the task. This would be interesting indeed.
-----
"One more thing," Caerwyn whispers. His fingers twitch, magic held close to the skin. "We need to capture one of them alive - er, undead, if at all possible. I have a spell. It'll take us to or at least towards the akata that spawned these zombies, but only as long as it's got a bit from a zombie that still works."

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-06-27, 08:47 PM
Orazio follows patiently, not really saying much. When the void zombies are spotted, he keeps low, and Oya flies up to the high branches.

PeglegJim
2015-06-28, 04:28 PM
K'punde growls as he sees his quary and draws his bow in response, he quickly takes one step forward, draws the string back and lets an arrow fly at the one on the right.

Move to G4, ranged attack on Z2
[roll0]

PeglegJim
2015-06-28, 04:29 PM
Seems like a potential hit....
[roll0]

SanguinePenguin
2015-06-29, 06:24 PM
Tok'sang studies the area with his spell. Immediately, he can tell than at least one akata is here. It is only a few moments before the magic guides his eyes, and he locates two of the akata hidden in the trees. Their dark blue bodies are well camoflagued almost 20 ft up, but they sit far apart from one another. Their bodies lay flat on two tree limbs, their twin tentaculared tails gripping the branches, both pairs of yellow eyes staring at the party. One of their faces is split, its lower jaw seemingly held together by a silvery goos linking the two halves. Despite its larger size, he almost misses the third creature laying flat above the den. Most of its body is concealed by rocks, but its yellow eyes are nearly twice as large and sit twice as far apart on its face.

K'punde's arrow flies true and catches one of the void zombies in the throat. It does not fall, but does react with a sharp flash of eerie blue light from the tongue. The tongue ceases feeding and the body lurches upright. The zombie next to it ceases feeding as well and looks out. The akatas in the trees and above the cave do not react.

Akatas (A1 and A2) are 20 ft up.
Big akata (A3) is about 10 ft up and has cover (in space A-B5-6).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7517332/DD/Jungle_cave_rnd2.png

A1 - Akata 1
A2 - Akata 2
A3 - Big Akata
Z1 - Void Zombie 1
Z2 - Void Zombie 2

Gwynfrid
2015-06-29, 09:45 PM
Tok'sang appears to continue scanning the area in vain, but under his breath, he's muttering further alien words.

"Esprit de l'écorce
Que lianes et branches accrochent
Ces monstres bleus féroces
Qui me donnent la pétoche"

From high in the trees to down on the ground, the whole area in front of the group erupts in a riot of tangling branches, grasping creepers, clinging leaves and obstructing undergrowth.

"There's three of them, just ahead, in the trees! The one of top of the cave is huge!" The young acolyte cries out, pointing towards the enemies he spotted. He neglects to advise his companions against moving forward, as the spectacle of the furious plants is enough of a cue.

Casting Entangle, centered 20ft high in the air, on the intersection 10ft behind the center of the big akata. This means the 40' radius stops just ahead of the group.
All creatures in the zone must make a Ref DC16 save or become entangled.

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-06-30, 12:02 AM
"Looks like we found the mommy akata..." Orazio says. He grips his spear nervously.

"Tactical advice, anyone? We're nowhere near the shore, so their one main weakness won't help."

Gwynfrid
2015-06-30, 06:45 AM
"Strike at range", Tok'sang answers his friend curtly. "The vines will slow them down and hinder their attack and defense... Hopefully."

Entangled = half speed, -4 Dex, -2 to attack. It also hampers spellcasting. I'm working under the assumption they are most dangerous in melee, so anything that gains us time before joining melee is to our advantage. Also, this improves your odds with spells that target their Ref save.

Obviously, you don't want to enter the Entangle area (it begins just north of Orazio's position).

PeglegJim
2015-07-01, 10:07 AM
K'punde shrugs and fires another arrow at that same void zombie. He keeps out of the fray....for now. Not like he had a viable choice with the vines.

attack on zombie 2
[roll0]
[roll1] (actually just 1d6 but it missed)

Ajadea
2015-07-01, 09:14 PM
"Don't get bit," Caerwyn snaps. The half-elf looks paler than usual under the freckles, but his eyes are determined, fixated on the nearest akata. The air twists. A sound rattles from his lips that sounds like nothing human, and only tangentially mortal.

Misfortune Hex on A1 (preferably before the Entangle hits), Will DC 16 negates.

Failure means the akata has to roll twice and take the worse for all rolls for 1 round.

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-07-10, 11:37 PM
Orazio calls his fires to his hands and launches a ray at the nearest akata, attempting to sap its strength so when it approached, it would be weaker.

Orazio casts ray of enfeeblement on A1.

Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0]

Strength Penalty (if it hits): [roll1]

SanguinePenguin
2015-07-12, 11:57 PM
Gelik gathers his wits, but this seems to just set off a string of complaints, "these accursed things are deaf, right? Well blast, they won't even hear when I tell them how ugly they are. I suppose some things are important to do independent of the result!"

Caerwyn attempts to curse the closest akata, and his magics penetrate the defenses. Tok'sang calls upon the forces of nature, and the existing vines in the area are augmented by magical ones, they writhe and twist grappling both of the akata in the trees and one of the void zombies. K'punde fires an arrow at one of the void zombies, but the shot goes wide as the nascent tendrils obstruct his view. Orazio fires a magical blast to enfeeble the nearest akata, it strikes in the creature visibly weakens, struggling just to hold the tree.

Then the akata act. the two in the trees struggle just to move, especially the weakened one. Still they make some progress moving through the limbs and branches encroaching on your position. They stop in the trees still 20 ft above you. The void zombies charge in your direction, the one obstructed by the vines the other only by the roots and brambles of the dense jungle. The big akata has no difficulty, barring that provided by the naturally difficult terrain. It leaps off of the cave and heads toward you. It is exceptionally fast, closing the distance to K'punde with ease, and clamps it's jaw down on the warrior's arm. His arm burns as the creature's globular saliva seeps into his flesh.

Gelik is inspiring courage (+1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls)

Akatas (A1 and A2) are 20 ft up.

A3 Bite vs K'punde: [roll0] Dam: [roll1]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7517332/DD/Jungle_cave_rnd3.png

A1 - Akata 1
A2 - Akata 2
A3 - Big Akata
Z1 - Void Zombie 1
Z2 - Void Zombie 2

Gwynfrid
2015-07-13, 06:09 AM
Terrified at the sight of the akata's speed in spite of the hampering vines, Tok'sang makes a protective gesture with his arms, while calling on the help of the spirits of the clearing.

"Esprit de la clairière
Montre-nous ta puissance
Et qu'un flot de lumière
Aveugle ces nuisances..."

At those words, a small globe of bright appears, high up in the branches, and explodes in a silent, blinding flash around the still perched akata.

Then the young Zenj turns to Mo'o, pointing towards the void zombie that now threatens Orazio. The ape moves nimbly, to attack the incoming monster.

Tok'sang
Free action, get Mo'o to attack Z1
Swift action, activate Snapping Turtle Style
Cast Burst of Radiance, 10-ft burst centered G5 20-ft in the air. Creatures within are blinded for [roll0] rounds, or dazzled for the same duration on a successful Ref DC17 save. I don't know if these things are evil, but if so, they also take [roll1] damage with no save.

At the end of Tok'sang's turn, all those in the Entangle area that aren't entangled yet must save again, DC16 or become entangled.

Mo'o
Move to H6
Attack Z1: Bite Power Attack [roll2] damage [roll3]

Mo'o
HP 13/13

Tok'sang
HP 28/28
AC 14 (+2 dex, +2 armor) or 15 with Snapping Turtle Style activated - Saves: Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +8
BAB +2 Attack (with Totem Transformation) 2 slams +5/+5 (1d6+3) - CMB: +5 CMD: 16 (Grapple: CMB +8, or +10 with Totem Transformation, CMD 19)

PeglegJim
2015-07-17, 09:28 AM
"I told you they were fast." K'punde barks. He roars as the large akata bites into him and tries to counter with an attack of his own.

[roll0]
[roll1]

HP: 30/40

Ajadea
2015-07-18, 12:29 PM
Caerwyn swears as the akata bound closer, and again rather more loudly when the large one tries to take a bite. He forms another hex in his mind and pushes down, wrapping the large akata in sweet-smelling mist.

Slumber Hex: Will DC 16 negates - failure means sleep for 3 rounds.

Caerwyn
HP 20/20
AC 14 (+3 dex, +1 armor), touch 13, flat-footed 11
Saves: Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +5
Str 15, Dex 17, Con 15, Int 20, Wis 14, Cha 13

Spells:
1: Chill Touch, Carrion Compass, Cure Light Wounds, Mage Armor
2: Glitterdust, free slot

Hexes: Evil Eye, Slumber, Misfortune

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-07-18, 09:23 PM
Orazio screams in terror as the akata and their minions surround him, firing off the fire at the akata before him.

Orazio fires Eldritch Bolt at A1.

Ranged Touch Attack: [roll0]

Force Damage (if it hits): [roll1]
Orazio
HP 31/31
BAB +2 Attack - CMB: +5 CMD: 17

SanguinePenguin
2015-07-19, 11:16 PM
Tok'sang summons a blinding flash and both akatas in the trees emit panicked blue flashes and draw two of their beard tentacles over their eyes. Mo’o’s attack goes wide and the void zombie barely reacts. K’punde slashes a wide gash in the large akata’s face, but it doesn't seem too upset. In response to Caerwyn’s command the large akata stumbles and closes its eyes, seeming to drop into a deep slumber. Orazio’s magical bolt of force nails the blinded akata in the tree, sending another shiver of blue light down its body.

Gelik draws a short bow and fires at the same akata hit by Orazio, "honestly, if I didn't know any better I’d think you had the thing scared to exit the trees."

The slow void zombie charges forward and smacks the large akata hard on the rump, causing it to wake. The second zombie lashes out at Mo’o with a flurry of strikes. The injured akata drops from the tree and flails it's tentacles about. The second akata clings to its tree branch and tries to crawl away toward the trunk of the tree.

Gelik is inspiring courage (+1 morale bonus on saving throws against charm and fear effects and a +1 competence bonus on attack and weapon damage rolls)

A2 is 20 ft up.

Gelik attack A1 (bow): [roll0] Dam: [roll1]

DC 15 Acro (A1): [roll2] Dam on fail: [roll3]

Z1 attack Mo'o (L slam): [roll4] Dam: [roll5]
Z1 attack Mo'o (R slam): [roll6] Dam: [roll7]
Z1 attack Mo'o (tongue): [roll8] Dam: [roll9]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7517332/DD/Jungle_cave_rnd4.png

A1 - Akata 1
A2 - Akata 2
A3 - Big Akata
Z1 - Void Zombie 1
Z2 - Void Zombie 2

PeglegJim
2015-07-20, 05:57 AM
"For our sake let's hope this big one does not stay standing for much longer." K'punde barks. "If we're lucky might be able to cut through." the warrior swings at his largest target in a huge diagonal slashing motion.

[roll0]
[roll1]

EDIT: 17.

Keep forgetting about Gellick

Gwynfrid
2015-07-21, 05:01 AM
"Coming", Tok'sang answers curtly, as his body begins to morph into the now familiar half-ape, half-human shape. "Finish it off, Orazio! It won't be blinded for very long", he adds. Meanwhile, Mo'o, somehow gathering energy from Gelik's words, launches a flurry of claws and teeth at the void zombie in front of him.

Tok'sang
Standard action, activate Totem Transformation

At the end of Tok'sang's turn, all those in the Entangle area that aren't entangled yet must save again, DC16 or become entangled.

Mo'o
Full Power Attack, Z1 (includes -1/+2 from Power Attack and +1/+1 from Inspire Courage; as far as I could see, it isn't a language dependent effect):
Bite [roll0] damage [roll1]
Claw #1 [roll2] damage [roll3]
Claw #2 [roll4] damage [roll5]

Mo'o
HP 13/13

Tok'sang
HP 28/28
AC 14 (+2 dex, +2 armor) or 15 with Snapping Turtle Style activated - Saves: Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +8
BAB +2 Attack (with Totem Transformation) 2 slams +5/+5 (1d6+3) - CMB: +5 CMD: 16 (Grapple: CMB +8, or +10 with Totem Transformation, CMD 19)

Archpaladin Zousha
2015-07-26, 01:09 AM
Orazio nods at Tok'Sang's instructions, aiming for the akata he indicated and firing off another bolt.

Orazio uses Eldritch Bolt again.

[roll0]
[roll1]
Orazio
HP 31/31
BAB +2 Attack - CMB: +5 CMD: 17

Ajadea
2015-07-27, 11:02 AM
Caerwyn tsks as the zombie awakens the large akata, then shrugs and smacks it with a suddenly-long ponytail. "Swing a little sooner next time, big guy."

Activating Prehensile Hair and attacking A3: [roll0] [roll1]

Caerwyn
HP 20/20
Special: Reach now 10 ft

Spells:
1: Chill Touch, Carrion Compass, Cure Light Wounds, Mage Armor
2: Glitterdust, free slot

Hexes: Prehensile Hair (2/3 minutes), Evil Eye, Slumber, Misfortune

SanguinePenguin
2015-08-10, 04:51 PM
Orazio’s magical bolt of force again strikes the blinded akata in the tree. The creature flashes blue, falls to the ground below and, by all appearances deflates, leaking a slimy gray ichor as it does. It does not move.

As Tok'sang performs his transformation, Mo'o savagely rends the zombie before him, tooth and claw shredding the host and tongue until both drop lifeless before him.

Both K'punde and Caerwyn succeed in striking the large akata. His wounds seem significant.

Gelik fires an arrow at the nearest akata, but he doesn't appear to be aiming, "they're dropping like flies - let's keep it up."

The slow void zombie again pushes forward, reaching Orazio and attacking. Again the blind akata tries to crawl away toward the trunk of the tree. Only the big akata seems to put up much of a fight, the full brunt of which falls to K'punde. Not only does it bite him again on the arm (driving more of the ropy saliva into his body), but, among the flailing mass of tentacles from both its chin and tails, one slaps him hard across the side of the head.

A2 is 20 ft up.

Gelik attack A1 (bow): [roll0] Dam:[roll1]

A3 Bite vs K'punde: [roll2] Dam:[roll3]
A3 Tentacle 1 vs K'punde: [roll4] Dam:[roll5]
A3 Tentacle 2 vs K'punde: [roll6] Dam:[roll7]
A3 Tentacle 3 vs K'punde: [roll8] Dam:[roll9]
A3 Tentacle 4 vs K'punde: [roll10] Dam:[roll11]

Z2 attack Orazio (L slam): [roll12] Dam:[roll13]

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7517332/DD/Jungle_cave_rnd5.png

A1 - Akata 1
A2 - Akata 2
A3 - Big Akata
Z1 - Void Zombie 1
Z2 - Void Zombie 2

Gwynfrid
2015-08-10, 05:14 PM
Tok'sang's now simian-shaped mouth utters a few grunts and cries which no one but Mo'o understands. The druid's companion moves to attack the void zombie, while the young shaman apprentice nimbly steps in to K'punde's side, and begins to punch the huge akata as hard as his strenghtened, elongated limbs can.

Tok'sang
Speak with animals (totem transformation) to ask Mo'o to help Orazio
5-ft step to H3
Full Attack, A3 (includes +1/+1 from Inspire Courage)
Slam #1 [roll0] damage [roll1]
Slam #2 [roll2] damage [roll3]

Mo'o
Full Power Attack, Z2 (includes -1/+2 from Power Attack and +1/+1 from Inspire Courage):
Bite [roll4] damage [roll5]
Claw #1 [roll6] damage [roll7]
Claw #2 [roll8] damage [roll9]

Mo'o
HP 13/13

Tok'sang
HP 28/28
AC 15 (+2 dex, +2 armor, +1 shield from Snapping Turtle Style) - Saves: Fort +4 Ref +3 Will +8

PeglegJim
2015-08-12, 12:39 PM
"Noted." The warrior growls to the elf's comment. He grunts at the akata rains more downs upon him. K'punde spits. "Damn you why won't you die." He barks at the creature as he swings his scythe at the things face. Through his armor the man looks like he's starting to bleed a bit. His armor shielded him from much but he was still the primary target.

[
Power Attack on A3, if she's dead move on to Z2
[roll0]
[roll1]

Ajadea
2015-08-12, 11:26 PM
"Glad to hear it." Caerwyn makes a sound that bears a passing resemblance to a swear word and significantly more to a cracking iceberg. His hair seems to lunge at the nearest enemy of its own accord, wreathed with ice-cold magic.

Casting chill touch on whatever enemy is still standing - Z2 or A3, in that order.

Touch Attack: [roll0]
If zombie: Will DC 16 vs panic for [roll1] rounds
If akata: [roll2] negative energy damage + Fort DC 16 vs 1 Str damage

Caerwyn
HP 20/20
Special: Reach now 10 ft
Chill Touch 3 Charges held

Spells: