PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cutting down a Cleric to size

Spore
2014-11-10, 05:52 AM
Greetings,

I want to introduce a Dwarven Battle Cleric for all the utility reasons and because I have a cool concept in mind. However the group isn't optimized and generally low tiers: Fighter, Paladin/Gunslinger, Ranger and a low op Flame Oracle (Inflict Wounds).

Theme for my character will be a Dwarven Rune Smith Separatist worshipping the god of artifice but keeping Luck/Fate as core value instead of more traditional Dwarven qualities. Basically a guy that says that talent is as important as hard work.

So while I will welcome the utility that comes with a full casting cleric and the healing that is direly needed for combat (although I will possibly go for alternate channeling), I want to slice his combat performance a tad bit back. This should generally be done by having thematic restrictions (not using summon spells), physical restrictions (he has a mechanical arm that sets him back moneywise) and spending attributes fluffy instead of effective (higher than needed Con because you take 4d6 Con damage with the grafting, no Dex, decent Wis and Cha).

The main question is how do you manage to play down a powerful class if you don't want to go full on support but still hog some of your class features for yourself?

weckar
2014-11-10, 06:01 AM
Going Ecclesitheurge would cut some of your combat capacity. No armor or shields, and limited weapons.

Spore
2014-11-10, 06:09 AM
Going Ecclesitheurge would cut some of your combat capacity. No armor or shields, and limited weapons.

Point is that we need a frontliner even when the Fighter is gone since everyone else is ranged or caster. Also defensive capabilities are very good but immense damage and magical plot solving power should be out of the window.

Kesnit
2014-11-10, 06:11 AM
For a 3.5 game recently, I built a Cleric/Warlock/Eldritch Theurge who focused on buff/debuff and BFC. His Eldritch Blast was his only way to do damage. For his Cleric side, I made a list of spells that do not do HP damage (I did keep those that do ability damage) and was using that as his "spell book." You can still cast spells, but the rest of your party is doing the "heavy hitting."

facelessminion
2014-11-10, 06:22 AM
Battle-Cleric, without 9th level spells? Why not Zoidberg? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/warpriest)

Spore
2014-11-10, 06:27 AM
Battle-Cleric, without 9th level spells? Why not Zoidberg? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/warpriest)

The Forgepriest archetype is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.