PDA

View Full Version : 18th-level characters versus Psionic Mind Flayer Telepath 10?

atemu1234
2014-11-10, 07:49 AM
As-is, it looks like mind flayers have psionic abilities of ninth-level psions. So I stuck ten levels of Psion (Telepath) on it, so what now? It's got the abilities of a nineteenth level telepath (due to stacking rules, unless I'm mistaken, going off of Sylph). Can the party handle it if we've got a roughly tier 2-3 party?

Feint's End
2014-11-10, 08:11 AM
As-is, it looks like mind flayers have psionic abilities of ninth-level psions. So I stuck ten levels of Psion (Telepath) on it, so what now? It's got the abilities of a nineteenth level telepath (due to stacking rules, unless I'm mistaken, going off of Sylph). Can the party handle it if we've got a roughly tier 2-3 party?

Depends on the OP level of both your party and the mind flayer.

Is this 3.5 or PF?

atemu1234
2014-11-10, 08:14 AM
Depends on the OP level of both your party and the mind flayer.

Is this 3.5 or PF?

3.5 format, dipping heavily into 3e and PF for material.

Feint's End
2014-11-10, 08:22 AM
What about your party setup? Do you have caster/manifester who use lots of cc etc?

Because if this fight goes rocket tag my bet is on the mindflayer (temporal acceleration). If your party is rather low op it could get interesting. Use share pain + vigor to make the mind flayer very durable. Then add a few dispensable goons (more info coming) and use mainly blasting with the flayer himself

Fouredged Sword
2014-11-10, 10:09 AM
Yeah, you don't see mindflayers in a vaccume. A level 19 caster is defiantly something the party can quest to kill.

Things to think about. Most the flayer's tricks can be shut down with mindblank. It counters by gathering mind controlled minions. Then it becomes a dispel match. Can the party dispel the mind control on the minions before the flayer dispels the protections from mind control?