PDA

View Full Version : Speculation What do you think we will get in the prince of the Apocalypse player handbook?

Rfkannen
2014-11-10, 08:46 AM
So apperently we are getting a handbook to go with the elemental evil arc. I was trying to think about what could be in it, and I don't realy have any ideas for what elemental powers they could give us. I mean an elemental warlock, a feat or two.... thats all I can think of. I can't think of any classes or anything like that. What do you think we will get in there?

Perseus
2014-11-10, 09:52 AM
So apperently we are getting a handbook to go with the elemental evil arc. I was trying to think about what could be in it, and I don't realy have any ideas for what elemental powers they could give us. I mean an elemental warlock, a feat or two.... thats all I can think of. I can't think of any classes or anything like that. What do you think we will get in there?

Elemental subclass for the fighter that allows them to act somewhat like Lightning (Ravager) from FFXIII ... Able to add all the different elements to their attacks, not additional damage but change the damage type of their attack.

Final fantasy 13 would make a great system to work with 5e core rules... I think you could go far with it.

Ralanr
2014-11-10, 10:11 AM
Where can I find where the subclasses are showed for this? Cause I'm interested.

Yorrin
2014-11-10, 10:12 AM
The more I try to think of stuff the more I realize how the core material covers a lot of it already. I'm assuming we'll get a couple new backgrounds, and I hope we'll see the Genasi or some other elemental race return, but I'm not expecting anything new class-wise.

Perseus
2014-11-10, 10:12 AM
Where can I find where the subclasses are showed for this? Cause I'm interested.

As am I, but wishful thinking usually doesn't help me when it comes to D&D :/

Yorrin
2014-11-10, 10:14 AM

We only have heard rumors at this point that the book even exists- so no content is confirmed yet.

JAL_1138
2014-11-10, 10:19 AM
Setting info to act as a primer for the adventure before character creation would be nice, instead of saving that for the modules themselves.

Rfkannen
2014-11-10, 10:51 AM
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?2032-Two-D-D-Stories-A-Year#.VGDe_vnF9Z9
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1847-D-D-5th-Edition-Release-Schedules#.VGDfK_nF9Z8

btw since the dmg was set back till december, does anyone know when it will be available early at partnered stores?

Yorrin
2014-11-10, 11:19 AM
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?2032-Two-D-D-Stories-A-Year#.VGDe_vnF9Z9
http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?1847-D-D-5th-Edition-Release-Schedules#.VGDfK_nF9Z8

Oh cool, so they did finally actually announce something.

providing expanded backgrounds, class builds, and races
Backgrounds would likely be something along the lines of "elemental cultist" or some such, class builds could be the aforementioned Warlock or perhaps a 4e style Storm Sorcerer, and Races, I assume, will be the Genasi.

Rfkannen
2014-11-10, 11:53 AM

Backgrounds would likely be something along the lines of "elemental cultist" or some such, class builds could be the aforementioned Warlock or perhaps a 4e style Storm Sorcerer, and Races, I assume, will be the Genasi.

Yeah the backrounds will probably be tied to the adventure. I did not think of storm sorcerer, I actualy realy liked that one.

Genasi, now those are an interesting one, I wonder how they will do them.

It will almost be certainly be a base genasi race with elemental subspecies.
I bet there will be no way to swich elements
I wonder what they will look, I bet it will be more like the 4e apperence.

Yorrin
2014-11-10, 12:06 PM
Yeah the backrounds will probably be tied to the adventure. I did not think of storm sorcerer, I actualy realy liked that one.

Genasi, now those are an interesting one, I wonder how they will do them.

It will almost be certainly be a base genasi race with elemental subspecies.
I bet there will be no way to swich elements
I wonder what they will look, I bet it will be more like the 4e apperence.

I think races was something 4e did very right, so I would not be disappointed to see a heavily 4e influence in racial design.

Which would probably make Genasi a +2 Str +1 Int race (Eldritch Knight, anyone?) though the different elements might have different substats (Earth=Con, Wind=Dex, Water=Wis, Fire=Int?). With resistance to their element and perhaps a 3e style "add 1d6 of your element to a melee attack" once per short or long rest, possibly with damage scaling as you level. And then some other minor benefit based on your element.

CyberThread
2014-11-10, 01:05 PM
Proably get some cantrip they does damage.

Fire. Burning hands.
air shocking grasp
earth acid spray
water. ..

Perseus
2014-11-10, 01:14 PM
I think races was something 4e did very right, so I would not be disappointed to see a heavily 4e influence in racial design.

Which would probably make Genasi a +2 Str +1 Int race (Eldritch Knight, anyone?) though the different elements might have different substats (Earth=Con, Wind=Dex, Water=Wis, Fire=Int?). With resistance to their element and perhaps a 3e style "add 1d6 of your element to a melee attack" once per short or long rest, possibly with damage scaling as you level. And then some other minor benefit based on your element.

I would change the add 1d6 to...

As a Bonus Action you may switch your weapon damage type (piercing/slashing/bludgeoning) to deal damage of your elemental type (fire, acid, cold, lightning, thunder, poison...). Your weapon doesn't have the P/S/B property anymore. Additionally when attacking with a elemental cantrip (such as firebolt) you may change the element of the cantrip to your element.

You may switch it back to normal as a Bonus Action.

This keeps from stacking damages but gives a really cool racial ability.

Broken Twin
2014-11-10, 01:17 PM

I agree, race design in 4E was excellent. I only have one minor quibble with your genasi design.

Base: +2 Str, +1 Int
Water: +1 Wis
Wind: +1 Dex
Earth: +1 Con
Fire: +1 Int Cha

I always considered fire to be more aligned with Charisma, and doing it that way means that all six attributes are covered. Resistance to their element would be awesome, but that may be overpowered in terms of racial abilities in 5E.

Rfkannen
2014-11-10, 01:30 PM
I agree, race design in 4E was excellent. I only have one minor quibble with your genasi design.

I always considered fire to be more aligned with Charisma, and doing it that way means that all six attributes are covered. Resistance to their element would be awesome, but that may be overpowered in terms of racial abilities in 5E.

This would seem good but I would get rid of the +1 int. No race so far has bonuses to 3 stats and I just don't expect it. I bet they will have a cantrip or drow like spellcasting. Not the most fit for a gensai but I imagine that is how they would do it.

mr_odd
2014-11-10, 01:32 PM
This would seem good but I would get rid of the +1 int. No race so far has bonuses to 3 stats and I just don't expect it. I bet they will have a cantrip or drow like spellcasting. Not the most fit for a gensai but I imagine that is how they would do it.

I believe that half elves do.

Gnomes2169
2014-11-10, 01:33 PM
I'd guess that we are going to get a lot more direct damage spells of elements other than fire. Make the Draconic heritage sorcerer more viable, and the same with the elemental adept feat.

Broken Twin
2014-11-10, 01:36 PM
No race so far has bonuses to 3 stats and I just don't expect it.

Humans technically have a bonus to six. :P

But seriously, I get what you're saying. I just like the idea of each stat having representation.

Rfkannen
2014-11-10, 02:00 PM
Humans technically have a bonus to six. :P

But seriously, I get what you're saying. I just like the idea of each stat having representation.

I think they will have a stat for each representation. I think that the base gensai will give +2 to a stat, and the manefestations will each give +1 in a stat.

I believe that half elves do.
I am pretty sure they get a +2 to charisma and a +1 to one stat.

I'd guess that we are going to get a lot more direct damage spells of elements other than fire. Make the Draconic heritage sorcerer more viable, and the same with the elemental adept feat.
That would be awesome.

Theodoxus
2014-11-10, 02:19 PM
I think they will have a stat for each representation. I think that the base gensai will give +2 to a stat, and the manefestations will each give +1 in a stat.

I am pretty sure they get a +2 to charisma and a +1 to one stat.

Nope, Helves get +2 Cha, +1 to two others. It's one reason (on top of Cha classes being represented far more than any other base stat) that Helves are so popular. Probably only second to variant humans.

Ralanr
2014-11-10, 02:19 PM
I think Half-elves get +2 Cha, +1 in one stat, and +1 in another.

If that is true, then I have to ask, why?

Edit: NINJA!

Rfkannen
2014-11-10, 02:24 PM
Nope, Helves get +2 Cha, +1 to two others. It's one reason (on top of Cha classes being represented far more than any other base stat) that Helves are so popular. Probably only second to variant humans.

So what your telling me is that my half elf cleric has one less stat point then it should, good to know.

Submortimer
2014-11-10, 05:41 PM

In all honesty, if they gave them the listed stats and resistance to their element, they'd be pretty close to Tieflings in power.

JoeJ
2014-11-10, 08:40 PM

Fire. Burning hands.
air shocking grasp
earth acid spray
water. ..

It would make more sense for Acid Splash to be associated with water than earth, since we usually interact with acids in liquid form. For an air cantrip I'd pick Ray of Frost. For earth you can use Blade Ward and interpret it as making the caster's skin as hard as stone.

MaxWilson
2014-11-10, 08:46 PM

It sure is a change from the days when Charisma was good only for followers and henchmen.

EugeneVoid
2014-11-10, 10:59 PM
Yeah casters probably would enjoy a few more direct damage spells as that is what this edition seems to be pointing/aiming towards for casters.

LtDarien
2014-11-11, 12:51 AM

I'm not sure they did, as they're not on either WotC's or Sasquatch Studios' product pages. I think we're still basing this off a leaked distributor document.

Blackdrop
2014-11-11, 02:51 AM
I think Genasi are probably a given. For classy stuff I say:

New Warlock pact (or variant features for The Fiend to cover more elements then fire)
New Sorcerer Origin
Planeswalker Archetype for the Ranger
An Elemental Domain for the Cleric, who then picks what element he uses (Air, Earth, Fire, Water)

Yorrin
2014-11-11, 09:23 AM
New Sorcerer Origin
An Elemental Domain for the Cleric, who then picks what element he uses (Air, Earth, Fire, Water)

I thought about these as well, but Elemental sorcerer would need to be pretty impressive to distinguish itself from Draconic, and Cleric already has Light=Fire and Tempest=Wind/Lightning/Thunder, so once again you'd need something pretty distinct in each of those cases.

Perseus
2014-11-13, 03:39 PM
I thought about these as well, but Elemental sorcerer would need to be pretty impressive to distinguish itself from Draconic, and Cleric already has Light=Fire and Tempest=Wind/Lightning/Thunder, so once again you'd need something pretty distinct in each of those cases.

I think the elemental sorcerer would have something to do with turning elemental damage into spell slots or something like that.

I hope it isn't specific element and more of... Sorcerer of Elements and thus aren't forced into being a one trick/element pony.

thepsyker
2014-11-13, 06:08 PM
That still leaves room for Water and Earth themed domains for the Cleric.

As for the Sorcerer, the Draconic origin has a bonus to damage with their associated element and do they have resistance as well, I can't remember and don't have my book on hand. So that leaves some room to separate an elemental sorcerer thematically. They could give them resistance or immunity depending on what the Draconian origin gives for example. If there are any elemental themed spells that Sorcerers don't already have access to perhaps they could add those to their list similar to cleric domain spells, land druid spells or paladin oath spells. Maybe an elemental shield ability of some sort with different effects depending on the element; fire could do damage, earth provide cover in a set direction, air could give a penalty to range attacks from any direction, not sure for water maybe trip or something? So, thematically at least I think there is plenty of room to distinguish and Elemental origin Sorcerer from a Draconian Sorcerer.

Grayson01
2014-11-14, 02:23 PM

Fire. Burning hands.
air shocking grasp
earth acid spray
water. ..Ray of Frost

I think that would make sense

RedMage125
2014-11-25, 04:04 PM
It would make more sense for Acid Splash to be associated with water than earth, since we usually interact with acids in liquid form. For an air cantrip I'd pick Ray of Frost. For earth you can use Blade Ward and interpret it as making the caster's skin as hard as stone.

For the last few editions, however, acid has been the energy type most closely associated with Earth, Cold with Water, and Electricity with Air.

I, myself, plan to start work on a genasi race once I get my DMG and take a look at how the Aasimar were done. I'm already allowing Eladrin in the game I am running now.

My plan for them does account for doing it as one race with 4 subraces. But I'm having some issues with that. Namely that I'm not so certain on +2 STR as a primary though. When I think of what stats I associate with each element I get:
Air: DEX, and maybe INT (namely because of associations I have with Air signs having a focus on intellectual pursuits)
Water: WIS and STR (Water flows, is receptive, and is yet powerful)
Fire: INT and STR (Fire is both creative and destructive)
Earth: CON and WIS (I see Earth as being resilient and unchanging, and yet also containing deep wisdom)

Although I can sort of see where STR and CON go into Earth as well. But I'm hoping for a mental stat boost and a physical stat boost for each type of genasi. Which may mean I end up making each type it's own race.

On the note of Planetouched: Tieflings, according to the PHB, are NOT planetouched. They went with the 4e explanation for the Tiefling race, and explicitly calls them out as being different from the fiend-descended race called planetouched.

Also thinking of possibly doing githzerai as a player race. I have a story reason why there are significant minorities of planar races in my world, and I like the way Githzerai work as a race. I think DEX and WIS bonuses are the order of the day with those, since they are so heavily geared towards monastic living.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-25, 04:52 PM
I can imagine races based off each element (Water Orcs, anyone?) and the Sorcerer class only has two archetypes when most classes have 3, so Sorcerer is crying out for new archetype based on elemental magic.

silveralen
2014-11-25, 04:55 PM
On the one hand sorcerer already has an elemental archetype (dragon).

On the other hand wild/dragon are taken directly from 4e, which gave us both elemental and storm sorcerers.

Shining Wrath
2014-11-25, 05:57 PM
I think something akin to the Pathfinder Sorcerer Bloodlines may show up eventually.

JoeJ
2014-11-25, 08:41 PM
For the last few editions, however, acid has been the energy type most closely associated with Earth, Cold with Water, and Electricity with Air.

I know, and in Pathfinder too. I still think it's dumb. Acid should be associated with water, cold with air, and lightning with the celestial powers and not an element at all.

Rfkannen
2014-11-25, 09:19 PM
I know, and in Pathfinder too. I still think it's dumb. Acid should be associated with water, cold with air, and lightning with the celestial powers and not an element at all.

Realy? The way i would do it would be

Water and cold. Because ice
fire and lightning. Because I just rewatched the whole avatar series.
air and thunder. Because thunder is just noise.