PDA

View Full Version : Help required with Rogue / Wild magic Sorcerer !

Yoroichi
2014-11-10, 10:09 AM
Hi guys, i have been doing some thinking with these classes in mind.

I would go Sorcerer 3 and full Rogue after ( or maybe 1 sorcerer/1 rogue to get the early sneak attack and then 3/1 to 3/17 )

The logic is that with the 3 sorcerer levels wild magic staff i can get the advantage to get my sneak attack through, via the wild magic, or by quickening spells.

However i have some questions and i would much appreciate clarifications if you would :)

The arcane trickster spells, are basically wizard spells (right?). Can i use metamagic with these spells?

The spell slots are total for both characters from what i have seen, so can i burn spell slots in order to gain sorcerer points back?

Is the trickster ultimately worth it, or am i better off with Assassin archetype?

Thank you !

Yorrin
2014-11-10, 10:23 AM
An... interesting idea. Rogue doesn't really synergize with casters very much, but I see you're trying to take advantage of Tides of Chaos on one, which could work. Keep in mind, though, that you can't sneak attack with spells, so you're going to be using magic mainly for utility or buffing.

The arcane trickster spells, are basically wizard spells (right?). Can i use metamagic with these spells?
Yes, they're all the same spell slots.

The spell slots are total for both characters from what i have seen, so can i burn spell slots in order to gain sorcerer points back?
Yes again, they're all the same spell slots.

Is the trickster ultimately worth it, or am i better off with Assassin archetype?
If you're going to be focused on magic then obviously you'll want Trickster, but Assassin will improve your weapon damage by the greatest amount. Wild Sorcerer 1/Assassin 19 would be my recommended approach if you decided to go with that route- getting Tides of Chaos and then basically acting like a full Rogue.

Yoroichi
2014-11-10, 10:26 AM
The character in my mind will use a giant crossbow,

So i wanted the lvl 3 sorcerer for the quickened True strike, which can give advantage and therefore sneak attack in plain combat.
Plus i could quicken other spells that would buff me and with the cunning action use, or some wild magic luck, who knows whats possible :P

But i take a dip in sneak attack damage :9

Yorrin
2014-11-10, 10:49 AM
The character in my mind will use a giant crossbow,

So i wanted the lvl 3 sorcerer for the quickened True strike, which can give advantage and therefore sneak attack in plain combat.
Plus i could quicken other spells that would buff me and with the cunning action use, or some wild magic luck, who knows whats possible :P

But i take a dip in sneak attack damage :9

Fair enough. Keep in mind that you don't have Heavy Crossbow Proficiency with either of those classes, so you're stuck with a Light Crossbow (which honestly is still a fine weapon). That build could be interesting, let us know how it actually plays out.