PDA

View Full Version : Another game movie...

Vaniel
2007-03-22, 03:44 PM
I have just learned that New Line Cinema has just bought the cinematographic rights to create a GEARS OF WAR movie adaption.

The page is in french, but just in case; http://www2.canoe.com/techno/nouvelles/archives/2007/03/20070321-090218.html

ray53208
2007-03-22, 03:57 PM
oh no. dear sweet lord no. they are going to mess this up for everyone by making another horrible movie based on a video game.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-03-22, 04:52 PM
Hmm...

Closet Skeleton's rules for succesful video game adaptions

Find a director that doesn't suck
Find a producer that understands the film doesn't have to suck
Find a script writer that cares about the source material
Find decent actors who don't believe they are above a video game adaption
Find a video game that would be worth adapting

Tor the Fallen
2007-03-22, 04:54 PM
Source material?
You mean a bunch of 15 year olds fragtagging and saying dirty words on the internet?

Nightmarenny
2007-03-22, 07:09 PM
Source material?
You mean a bunch of 15 year olds fragtagging and saying dirty words on the internet?
There was a single player:smallannoyed:

FdL
2007-03-22, 07:37 PM
Hey! I don't know the game and I feel proud about it :D

blackout
2007-03-22, 07:44 PM
......Part of me wants to cry. The other part wants to say 'maybe it won't suck.'

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-22, 07:53 PM
It'll suck, but I'll watch it anymore. Can't be any worse than Wing Commander the movie.

Timberwolf
2007-03-22, 08:28 PM
Hey, that sucks so badly I kinda enjoy watching it. I know, it's wierd and demented but hey, it's cinema.

I'm curious in a purely academic way here. Will anyone here admit to watching the Dead or Alive movie ? I haven't and I'm interested to see if it's half as bad as the critics said it was.

Returning to bad adaptations, I hear there's a mechwarrior film in the works. Part of me is kinda happy because I like the Battletech universe a lot but the other part is think "Please, please don't wreck it, I know that won't happen but please don't do it."

Nightmarenny
2007-03-22, 11:48 PM
It'll suck, but I'll watch it anymore. Can't be any worse than Wing Commander the movie.Don't be so sure . Before the Halo movie became defunt they were getting good people. It is possible. So just have faith.

Om
2007-03-23, 06:26 AM
How can the screw this one up? GoW was a simple gorefest complete with explosions and eye candy. Sounds like an average Hollywood blockbuster to me.

Vaniel
2007-03-23, 01:15 PM
Did you see what they did with DOOM?

Om
2007-03-23, 01:21 PM
Did you see what they did with DOOM? That violent and plotless film that consisted of little but guns, demons and the interaction of the two? So unlike the game itself :smallwink:

I’d be wary if something like Planescape, Half Life or Grim Fandango were going to be turned into a film (though I’ve always felt that the latter two would make excellent movies) but this is Gears of War we’re talking about. Its not as if the characters are going to lose any of their personality in the transition.

InsertNameHere
2007-03-23, 01:43 PM
Hmm...

Closet Skeleton's rules for succesful video game adaptions

Find a director that doesn't suck
Find a producer that understands the film doesn't have to suck
Find a script writer that cares about the source material
Find decent actors who don't believe they are above a video game adaption
Find a video game that would be worth adapting

Now THAT is an unreasonable demand. I mean, come on, a director and producer who think it doesn't have to suck? What should we get you next, a magic bicycle that can fly through wormholes to deliver candy and presents to the third world?
Huh? Is that what you want?

But seriously, New Line might not screw everything up. I hope not, at least.

beholder
2007-03-23, 01:43 PM
That violent and plotless film that consisted of little but guns, demons and the interaction of the two? So unlike the game itself :smallwink:

I can't quite remember, but from memory there were no demons,only mutated people....

...this is Gears of War we’re talking about. Its not as if the characters are going to lose any of their personality in the transition.

CANT STOP THE COLE TRAIN BABY
choo choo!
I hated the gears of war story. sooo stupid

Jibar
2007-03-23, 01:48 PM
Oh God.
Like it can't get more generic.
*Rolling eyes commences in...5...4...3...2...1...COUNTDOWN!*
*Rolls eyes*

(In other words, I hate Gears of wars, and every single person who bought the X Box 360 for it)

Vaniel
2007-03-23, 01:54 PM
I bought it for games with guns, and especially Halo 3 when it comes out... :D Though I DID buy Gears of Wars, and I find it a great game!

Piedmon_Sama
2007-03-23, 01:59 PM
Returning to bad adaptations, I hear there's a mechwarrior film in the works. Part of me is kinda happy because I like the Battletech universe a lot but the other part is think "Please, please don't wreck it, I know that won't happen but please don't do it."

At the risk of going off-topic, I remember watching Mechwarrior when I was a kid. It was alright, but my favorite was always EXO-Squad, if anyone even remembers that anymore.... I loved it, always parked my butt in front of the TV to watch it before school, had all the toys (well a lot of the toys), etc... does anyone know if that series is out on DVD these days? Because I would be on that like sticky on rice.

Om
2007-03-23, 03:56 PM
While on the topic of game-movie conversions, I'm pretty worried about the planned Hitman movie. Hollywood has proven that it can turn mindless games into mindless films but I seriously doubt that there is the will to portray Agent 47 as the brutal killer that he is. Hollywood doesn't handle those figures well... at least not without tacking some horrible redemption scene onto the end.

Vaniel
2007-03-23, 06:10 PM
Silent Hill wasn't that bad. In fact, it was a great movie! :D

Daze
2007-03-23, 06:20 PM
Silent Hill wasn't that bad. In fact, it was a great movie! :D

Silent Hill is actually the only decent game movie I can think of.. that and the final fantasy one.. (though that was CGI animation, so its not the same as a "movie" I guess).

Hollywood is stuck in the "spiderman made billions" frame of mind... they're trying to capitalize on some trend and think pumping out crappy movies, with terrible actors and awful writing is gonna pass the grade.. but the fact its based on "superheroes" will save it from all its problems...
did i mention I hate hollywood?? if they ruin the galactus storyline in FF2, I'm gonna hurt someone...