PDA

View Full Version : How to Implement Factions

mr_odd
2014-11-10, 01:14 PM
Hey Playground, I want to implement factions into my setting, and was wondering how I could do it effectively. Essentially, the Empire has a law that all citizens at the age of 16 (relative due to maturity of race) must pick a faction to belong to. These four factions are designed to reflect the political and philosophical views of the people.

There is The Valiant, an honor/militaristic faction. They don't make up the entirity of the military, but are most supportive of it and expansion.

There is Shadowfall, the community faction. This faction emphasizes individual communities, and values local governments above the Empire. They often conflict with The Valiant over views of expansion and Nexus over views of law.

There is Nexus, a "law and order" faction. They live strictly by the law codes of the Empire and believe that each town and city should live under one supreme law code, rather than only having to adhere to a select few universal laws.

Lastly, there is Eclipse, the traditional faction. This faction prizes tradition, bloodlines, nobles, and has a higher appreciation of the deities than other factions. They often conflict with Nexus, who continually wants the Empire to become more and more "advanced."

So, the players will pick a faction during character creation. How can I effectively implement this in the setting, story, and character development?

mephnick
2014-11-10, 01:38 PM
I would avoid adding mechanical bonus to development to avoid cherrypicking skills or stats; but specific role-playing bonuses (like contacts in friendly cities, free services) is a good place to start.

mr_odd
2014-11-10, 01:54 PM
I would avoid adding mechanical bonus to development to avoid cherrypicking skills or stats; but specific role-playing bonuses (like contacts in friendly cities, free services) is a good place to start.

Yeah, I didn't think mechanical bonuses would work well, especially considering 5e's design. I guess what I'm trying to figure out is how to make it more than just a word on a page or part of a background.

JAL_1138
2014-11-10, 01:59 PM
Hey Playground, I want to implement factions into my setting, and was wondering how I could do it effectively. Essentially, the Empire has a law that all citizens at the age of 16 (relative due to maturity of race) must pick a faction to belong to. These four factions are designed to reflect the political and philosophical views of the people.

There is The Valiant, an honor/militaristic faction. They don't make up the entirity of the military, but are most supportive of it and expansion.

There is Shadowfall, the community faction. This faction emphasizes individual communities, and values local governments above the Empire. They often conflict with The Valiant over views of expansion and Nexus over views of law.

There is Nexus, a "law and order" faction. They live strictly by the law codes of the Empire and believe that each town and city should live under one supreme law code, rather than only having to adhere to a select few universal laws.

Lastly, there is Eclipse, the traditional faction. This faction prizes tradition, bloodlines, nobles, and has a higher appreciation of the deities than other factions. They often conflict with Nexus, who continually wants the Empire to become more and more "advanced."

So, the players will pick a faction during character creation. How can I effectively implement this in the setting, story, and character development?

Custom Backgrounds could serve like faction kits, with skills and tool proficiencies related to the faction theme, a'la Planescape.

Edit: 1) nevermind, since you're looking to avoid mechanical stuff, and also 2) ninja'd.

Edit again: encounters where the factions are at odds. Players could mediate between someone with a new invention and members of the traditionalist faction looking to ban it, for instance.

mr_odd
2014-11-10, 02:06 PM
Custom Backgrounds could serve like faction kits, with skills and tool proficiencies related to the faction theme, a'la Planescape.

Edit: 1) nevermind, since you're looking to avoid mechanical stuff, and also 2) ninja'd.

Well, implementing the faction into the background could work as opposed to an addition, but I would still try to stay away from the mechanical bonus and focus more on the character and their personality.

JAL_1138
2014-11-10, 06:45 PM
Well, implementing the faction into the background could work as opposed to an addition, but I would still try to stay away from the mechanical bonus and focus more on the character and their personality.

There's always the Planescape approach of having them actually run different aspects of a given location. The law-obsessed faction might dominate the city guard, the traditionalist faction might have an iron grip on the manufacturing guilds and farmland, the community-focused faction might have a representative in every village and small town, the expansionist faction might hire the players to scout wilderness locations to see if they can be annexed without a fuss or if there are good spots for fortification to set up bases.

silveralen
2014-11-10, 06:50 PM
Indeed, I'd look up some of the material for planescape/sigil (whatever exists) for ideas. I'm not sure if you are familiar and it is already part of what inspired this, but if not those works can probably help you in world building. At least more than anything I can think to say would.

Selkirk
2014-11-11, 10:09 AM
this is a good starting point. how to incorporate the factions? maybe they have stronger influence in certain areas than other factions. big cities dominated by eclipse and rural farming communities by shadowfall. secondly, seems like some of the factions would be class based-valiant for fighters or those in military service and of course paladins for nexus or eclipse :D ...wizards would be inclined towards nexus. but if everyone is growing up poor having them at least start out in shadowfell or valiant makes the most sense to me(military conscription would be common).

Logosloki
2014-11-11, 03:36 PM
Backgrounds are the way to go then. You can add faction specific bonds and flaws and you can just assume that factions look out for their own members when they are 'in town', like how some of the features work. The Adventure League modules sometimes have a special faction specific quest which are worth a little gold, xp and a faction renown point but usually no more than an easy encounters worth.

themaque
2014-11-12, 05:17 PM

I would suggest adding an "Outlaw" faction. people who refuse to join or who are in outlying regions and haven't had the opportunity to do so. This allows for people who fall through the cracks or don't want/like your main factions.

Let them know there will be negative repercussions if they are found out, but this could lead to some good story telling as well. Planescape had some Non-faction Factions as well, so again good inspiration for you.

mr_odd
2014-11-12, 08:18 PM
I would suggest adding an "Outlaw" faction. people who refuse to join or who are in outlying regions and haven't had the opportunity to do so. This allows for people who fall through the cracks or don't want/like your main factions.

Let them know there will be negative repercussions if they are found out, but this could lead to some good story telling as well. Planescape had some Non-faction Factions as well, so again good inspiration for you.

Yeah, I had similar thoughts, but they weren't fully developed. I know that players will have chances to switch factions or simply not be a citizen of the Empire.