PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Star wars D6 Martial arts

Gnaeus
2014-11-10, 02:08 PM
I've played SWd6 before, but years ago and never for long. So, my group just stopped our 3.PF game, switched DM, and are starting D6 SW revised and expanded.

I'm trying to make a martial artist, but I don't really understand the rules very well. Core rulebook doesn't seem to mention it at all. Rules of Engagement/rebel specforce handbook seems to assume that you were already familiar with the martial arts skill. And then there is a thing calling itself Martial Arts revised and expanded that has all these styles in it. But like specforce, it seems to assume that you already understand how martial arts work.

Stuff I don't really get:
1. Is there a sourcebook or a pile of rules that explains this that I am missing?

2. my dm said I needed 2 relevant skills. Martial arts attack and martial arts defense. Other places don't seem to mention defense at all, and sometimes martial arts is just a specialization of brawling?

3. Do maneuvers take an action? I mean some of them are attacks, which seem like they obviously would, but others, like blindfinding and weapon parry, do I announce multiple actions, use my first action for blindfighting, wait for initiative to come around again, and then attack?

4. So, there are maneuvers, and there are called shots, and I can't really tell what the difference is. If I can say "I'm doing a called shot on his weapon" why would there be a martial arts maneuver called disarm? Does that mean that an expert at brawling, or even at martial arts who didn't pick that maneuver, just can never disarm someone, or head butt?

5. Martial Arts revised and expanded has these things called base abilities, which look like some kind of general bonus you get for using that style. How do you qualify for them? Do they cost anything?

6. Are there real traps here or crazy stuff that we need to avoid? It doesn't seem to me like in a universe with energy weapons that a guy who can punch people really hard is ever going to pull himself into brokenness, but there are a ton of rules here. On the flip side, if I'm going to be charging into combat against people with energy weapons, I don't want to punch my way into being a smoking crater either.

Thrudd
2014-11-10, 03:12 PM
If I remember, martial arts is a specialization of brawling, which is a strength skill. So you take brawling: martial arts under strength. Defenses and melee combat are dexterity skills. Brawling parry is the basic skill for defending against unarmed attacks, brawling parry: martial arts would be the specialization. I don't recall the rules about martial arts styles, I don't think I had the splat book.

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-13, 09:04 PM
My group has been playing the d6 SW for 15 years now. We long ago convinced the GM to drop the different offense/defense skills under the thought process that they are taught/learned together and there is no separate skill for reloading weapons.

With all that said, if you take Martial Arts as a brawling specialization, you increase MA at half the Character Points cost of brawling, making special rules kind of absurd. I have a 13 year old Jedi (as in I've been playing the character for 13 years) with 9D Brawling and around 11D MA. Any sane GM stops caring about special rules at that point.

I can look through my PDFs tomorrow for you but if you can't wait, www.d6holocron.com is probably the best site for you.

LibraryOgre
2014-11-13, 09:14 PM
Martial Arts is a specialization of brawling? Is "hitting things" a specialization under Lightsaber?

Valefor Rathan
2014-11-13, 09:18 PM
According to my usual GM, the MA rules are in the Rebel Spec Forces book.

As for the Light saber question, with the Force Power "Light Saber Combat" up you don't need a silly specialization like that ;-)