PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience actually multiclassing?

hecetv
2014-11-10, 09:23 PM
A lot of people say "multiclassing is really hard because difficulty scales up at level 5 and if you miss out on level 3 spells, extra attack, whatever you get at 5 you won't scale up to match"

Does anyone have any experience or other insight on how true this is? I'm just wondering it this is perceived or experienced and in either case how true that really is.

So yeah, has anyone multiclassed and felt particularly weak or particularly strong? Especially compared to party members who went to 5 straight or whatever level.

Thanks

Shadow
2014-11-10, 11:25 PM
Short answer: It depends on the multiclass in question.

silveralen
2014-11-10, 11:29 PM
If done carefully it will work out fine, though I've yet to find any multiclass which feels stronger than a single class, just one that feels stronger in some ways and weaker in others.

The one solid rule I can offer is no build I've found benefits from an even split. 4-6 is usually the limit before you really hurt your character.

It's also best not to juggle between classes. Take one all the way through, then start the other. At the very least, get to a good break point (like an extra attack) before dipping.

Shadow
2014-11-10, 11:33 PM
If done carefully it will work out fine, though I've yet to find any multiclass which feels stronger than a single class, just one that feels stronger in some ways and weaker in others.

The monk/rogue we were discussing in that other thread. That's what I'm playing right now.
It's better than a straight rogue in almost every single way.

silveralen
2014-11-10, 11:34 PM
The monk/rogue we were discussing in that other thread. That's what I'm playing right now.
It's better than a straight rogue in almost every single way.

Rogue seems to be the multi class this time around. So yeah, that would be the main exception in most cases.

Shadow
2014-11-11, 02:19 AM
Rogue seems to be the multi class this time around. So yeah, that would be the main exception in most cases.

That's because losing a few levels of rogue doesn't usually cost you that much power or that many class features. And when you do multi a rogue, you almost always make up the power lost via the other class.
Multi with another martial? You'll pick up extra attack.
Multi your Trickster with a caster? Instead of more SA you get more spell slots and spells known/prepared.

A straight rogue is great, but it multiclasses extremely easily as well.

To put this in perspective:
A straight rogue using a +3 rapier has an average DPR potential of 47.5
1d8+8 (12.5) + 10d6 (35) = 47.5
A straight rogue using dual +3 short swords has an average DPR potential of 53
1d6+8 (11.5) + 1d6+3 (6.5) + 10d6 (35) = 53
A 13 rogue (thief, not even going assassin) / 6 monk (WoS) / 1 fighter (duelist style) using a +3 short sword has an average DPR potential of 60 without flurry and 68.5 when using flurry
flurry: 1d6+10 (13.5) + 1d6+10 (13.5) + 1d6+5 (8.5) + 1d6+5 (8.5) + 7d6 (24.5) = 68.5
without flurry: 1d6+10 (13.5) + 1d6+10 (13.5) + 1d6+5 (8.5) + 7d6 (24.5) = 60

47.5 rapier, and a miss REALLY hurts
53 dual short swords (46.5 without spending his bonus action)
60 or 68.5 short sword multiclass (51.5 without spending his bonus action)

Not only does he do massively more damage, he does so more consistently because he gets more attacks (which means that he'll apply sneak attack practically every single round, whereas a miss really hurts a straight rogue).
He also has a TON more defense and tricks up his sleeve.
And it's not even something that you have to wait for it to come online. The few sneak attack dice that you're missing as you're leveling are made up for by the fact that your martial arts attack(s) get mod to damage when you otherwise wouldn't, and then when you start to lag behind again you get extra attack. It plays at any level.

After playing the multiclass, it is my belief that a straight (non-trickster) rogue that isn't specifically going straight for a very good fluff reason is basically doing it wrong.