PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying What Are Inherent Bonuses?

Erth16
2014-11-10, 11:50 PM
A Couple weeks ago, I had an idea for a character that is a powerful and feared warrior, who only fights using his natural born strength and skills. Now I immediately thought Vow of Poverty for him, but decided against it at first because well, VoP is often ridiculed for its shortcomings. When I had finished making him in my mind, and mentioned the concept to my friend who often takes turns DM-ing with me, he pointed out I had used the inherent bonuses from wish spells, and said it was against the spirit of the character. I argued that their name of inherent bonuses implies that they come from him, not the magic, but then questioned why he needed wish to obtain them.

After that conversation, I began to wonder what exactly is an inherent bonus. Sorcerers get them in Pathfinder from their bloodlines, but that was the only other place I could find them outside of 4e. So I pose the question to you, fellow creatures of the playground, what do you think an inherent bonus represents fluff wise?

AmberVael
2014-11-11, 12:04 AM
The exact nature of inherent bonuses is pretty vague. Its not defined among the basic bonus types, and only shows up in a few places. So I'd think most anything you can say about it will be personal interpretation or speculation. (For the purposes of your character though, it'd be pretty hard to argue that having an expensive wish spell cast on you wasn't a bit cheaty- those inherent bonuses do have a listed WBL impact and the point of Vow of Poverty's mechanics is that you're not getting that kind of stuff. Of course as a DM I'd probably let it slide, because its vow of poverty and utterly wretched.)

I can add to your list of places it shows up though. Beyond Wish, Reality Revision (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/realityRevision.htm) and items that mimic that function of those spells/powers, (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#manualofBodilyHealth) you can also gain inherent bonuses from grafts. The undead grafts found in Libris Mortis add inherent bonuses to strength.

XionUnborn01
2014-11-11, 01:01 AM
I think exactly what they are varies depending on the source.

The Tomes/Manuals you can read for the bonuses I view as 'training guides' the Wisdom one might have meditation techniques, the Strength one may have certain secret techniques to get more out of your own body, etc. In that case I think it's showing that you're tapping into an inner potential, the same with Wish and the like, they simply reveal your current physical/mental potential.

Grafts I see it as increasing your natural abilities instead of unleashing them. You got this sweet undead arm? Well it's weird make-up effects your entire body, making you stronger overall.

GreatDane
2014-11-11, 10:50 AM
I agree that inherent bonuses are those that represent a character's natural ability. Examples of inherent bonuses in 3.5 outside of wish spells include a monk's (non-Wis) AC bonus and a barbarian's increased land speed. Neither of these are magical or granted; they're representative of a character's natural abilities due to training and habit. In the case of a wish, I would argue that there is no lingering magic - the wish unlocked or improved the character's natural aptitudes. A fighter with wish-improved strength actually has bigger muscles or whatever, and putting him in an antimagic field or a naked fistfight won't reduce his body's power.

Jeraa
2014-11-11, 11:01 AM
I agree that inherent bonuses are those that represent a character's natural ability. Examples of inherent bonuses in 3.5 outside of wish spells include a monk's (non-Wis) AC bonus and a barbarian's increased land speed. Neither of these are magical or granted; they're representative of a character's natural abilities due to training and habit.

An Inherent bonus is a specific bonus type. Neither of those things are Inherent bonuses. They are just untyped bonuses.

AmberVael
2014-11-11, 11:30 AM
In the case of a wish, I would argue that there is no lingering magic - the wish unlocked or improved the character's natural aptitudes. A fighter with wish-improved strength actually has bigger muscles or whatever, and putting him in an antimagic field or a naked fistfight won't reduce his body's power.

There's no need to argue this, its stated within the wording of Wish since it explicitly calls out granting Inherent bonuses as an instantaneous effect. There's no spell involved after the casting.

Erth16
2014-11-11, 03:55 PM
I think exactly what they are varies depending on the source.

The Tomes/Manuals you can read for the bonuses I view as 'training guides' the Wisdom one might have meditation techniques, the Strength one may have certain secret techniques to get more out of your own body, etc. In that case I think it's showing that you're tapping into an inner potential, the same with Wish and the like, they simply reveal your current physical/mental potential.

Grafts I see it as increasing your natural abilities instead of unleashing them. You got this sweet undead arm? Well it's weird make-up effects your entire body, making you stronger overall.

I kind of have that view as well, but after having thought about it, I disagree with the idea that the manuals are teaching a method on how to do something, otherwise why would they require castings of Wish to make?

I agree with the statement about grafts, but well, you can't really think of the graft's power as your own. Someone else made the arm (probably), someone else grafted it onto you (most likely), and then you go around bragging about how naturally strong you are when your arm over there is clearly not your arm.

In the end the character just ended up taking VoP, because I don't really have to worry about optimization in this group, and a bunch of wealth that I wasn't going to spend on gear would just be sitting around collecting dust, or being used to empower the rest of the party, making my presence only relevant as a source of extra money. At least with VoP I can kind of, sort of, sometimes keep up with the rest of the party.