View Full Version : Mystic Ranger with bad stats

kulosle
2014-11-11, 01:58 AM
I'm a mystic shooting star ranger wild shape variant with the sword of the arcane order feet. We're level 6. 5 ranger 1 in wizard.
So we rolled for states and I got 17, 16, 14, 10, 10, 5. I put my best score in wisdom the next best in con and then into int. I figured I didn't need dex and strength cause i can wildshape into something with better stats, cha is obvious dump stat. I figured it would make a good gish build. But here is the problem. I have 10 str 10 dex. I just realized that i don't qualify for any feats that make a good fighter. Can't even take power attack. So what do i do? take a hit to con or wis? that sounds bad. Are there ways of being a good fighter without power attack? Our gm ruled that temporary bonuses don't let you meet prerequisites. So i can't wild shape and then pick it up. Any ideas?

Gwendol
2014-11-11, 04:50 AM
I don't get your stat assignment. Putting your highest number in a mental score implies going full caster, so why sticking with ranger? You could be an awesome druid with that score, or even theurge to get arcane casting.

Edit: You don't need PA to fight, especially not if you have spells.

Feint's End
2014-11-11, 05:07 AM
You only really need size increases to deal good damage. Get Improved Natural Attack and you are pretty much set.

On another note why in the nine hells are you taking a level in Wizard? This seems like wasted ressources right there.

Snowbluff
2014-11-11, 10:43 AM
Spellbook access and caster level fixing, off the top of my head.

LTwerewolf
2014-11-11, 11:59 AM
I don't get your stat assignment. Putting your highest number in a mental score implies going full caster, so why sticking with ranger? You could be an awesome druid with that score, or even theurge to get arcane casting.

Edit: You don't need PA to fight, especially not if you have spells.

A lot of people enjoy wild shape ranger, and as with any of the wild shapers, physical stats mean precisely bupkiss.

Seerow
2014-11-11, 12:07 PM
Take the feat that lets you cast Wizard spells from your Ranger slots (Sword of the Arcane Order?), pick up a wand of Heroics (or just cast Heroics with your spell slots). Use that to pick up the feats you want after you are Wildshaped into a form with better stats. Even if your DM doesn't like the idea of you using a temp bonus like wildshape to qualify for a feat when you level up (mostly because of how vague "when you level up" is), it's much easier to argue that you should be able to use those ability scores when you cast a spell to gain a feat.

kulosle
2014-11-11, 08:27 PM
I've taken a closer look at the gish handbook and I've gotten some good feat ideas from that. I do have wild shape ranger and i do have the sword of the arcane order feat.

question though, ability enhancer is a feat from dragon compendium that reads like this
Any transmutation spell you cast that enhances ability scores increases the ability scores by +2 more than it normally does. For example, casting bull's strength with this feat grants the subject a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength, instead of the usual +4 enhancement bonus.

So if i cast animalistic power, would that be a +4 to all physical states?

Gwendol
2014-11-12, 03:23 AM
A lot of people enjoy wild shape ranger, and as with any of the wild shapers, physical stats mean precisely bupkiss.

Yes, but you would get more mileage out of a druid (with that stat assignement) without losing the flavor of the wild. Still, I recognize the special case that is a shooting star wildshape ranger with SotAO.

LTwerewolf
2014-11-12, 02:33 PM
Yes, but you would get more mileage out of a druid (with that stat assignement) without losing the flavor of the wild. Still, I recognize the special case that is a shooting star wildshape ranger with SotAO.

It's not just that, but some people don't want the raw power of a druid. If it were just about sotao, they could just cheese and go druid prestige ranger.

Xerlith
2014-11-12, 03:43 PM
So if i cast animalistic power, would that be a +4 to all physical states?

Yes.

Do you need the Wizard level? The Magical training feat (PGtF) gives you a spellbook without the need to dip. Then you could actually dip Shiba Protector for Wis to attack and damage. It is in addition to your normal bonuses. That said, the feat taxes are rather steep.

Whatever you do, take a look at the Monk's Belt. It gives you +1+Wis mod to AC.

kulosle
2014-11-12, 08:32 PM
Na, my group ruled that you need a level of wizard. But thats okay cause we also ruled that you get the caster level stacking for silly nonsense.

kulosle
2014-11-12, 09:03 PM
There are like two people who are currently working on mystic ranger guides. Wish those were finished. Cause slushing through all the spells and comparing them against each other is incredibly time consuming.

SiuiS
2014-11-12, 09:05 PM
There is no e in the word stat. Normally I'm not this pedantic about spelling, but that's not a typo, it's using the wrong word — I thought this was about different states your ranger could be in and how they adversely affected you mechanically.

kulosle
2014-11-12, 11:40 PM
Haha yeah sorry about that. I posted this thread on my phone. It just types what ever it wants.