PDA

View Full Version : Grappling with a rope?

JRoth
2014-11-11, 11:31 AM
I was trying to come up with a way to convert a 3.x whipmaster/dervish to 5e as an enemy for my players. Right now I am considering a Fighter Battlemaster with some rouge or bard splash (the original character started as a swashbuckler in 3.5). What I saw that caught my eye so much was if the character uses Tavern Brawler and a rope or makeshift whip as a weapon would why not use that as a grapple from the feat? Would it seem fair to make the ranged grapple challenge dex based? This was meant to be in a kinda boss battle around lv 11-13 and this was going to be one of the 3 main fighters along with several fodder enemys. So the thought was to have him lock someone down at a range, then pulling the "whip" down and stepping on it to preform a shove and place someone prone while still at a range. I mainly wanted to see the Forums opinion on this, I didn't notice anything like it already posted, if i am wrong and there has already been talk about it just redirect me. :)

Perseus
2014-11-11, 12:13 PM
I was trying to come up with a way to convert a 3.x whipmaster/dervish to 5e as an enemy for my players. Right now I am considering a Fighter Battlemaster with some rouge or bard splash (the original character started as a swashbuckler in 3.5). What I saw that caught my eye so much was if the character uses Tavern Brawler and a rope or makeshift whip as a weapon would why not use that as a grapple from the feat? Would it seem fair to make the ranged grapple challenge dex based? This was meant to be in a kinda boss battle around lv 11-13 and this was going to be one of the 3 main fighters along with several fodder enemys. So the thought was to have him lock someone down at a range, then pulling the "whip" down and stepping on it to preform a shove and place someone prone while still at a range. I mainly wanted to see the Forums opinion on this, I didn't notice anything like it already posted, if i am wrong and there has already been talk about it just redirect me. :)

Don't make it an attack. Since the rope/whip is more dexterous allow acrobatics to replace athletics when trying to grapple. So for this weapon it would be Acrobatics versus Athletics or Acrobatics.*

Do note that if you allow an enemy to do something, especially one with PC levels, the PCs may want to do it too.

Be prepared for that.

Also, the limit to the grappled person's speed should be changed to the length of rope/whip. There shouldn't be any reason anyone couldn't get closer to you when you have them grappled with the rope. It isn't like they are in a net.

*Edit: So that the math isn't changed and a grapple focused or athletic/acrobatic focused PC isn't suddenly told "oh I'm using the tactics you prepared for but I'm negating everything you was told about the condition and I'm changing the rules in which it applies...

That could suuuuck.

Giant2005
2014-11-11, 12:28 PM
Have the antagonist using a Hunting Trap as a weapon. It is cooler than a rope and doesn't require houseruling - everything you need is well established under the item description on page 152 of the PHB.

silveralen
2014-11-11, 03:47 PM
I'd just make it a normal grapple, except at range. Seems easy enough.

JRoth
2014-11-11, 04:25 PM
Don't make it an attack. Since the rope/whip is more dexterous allow acrobatics to replace athletics when trying to grapple. So for this weapon it would be Acrobatics versus Athletics or Acrobatics.*

Do note that if you allow an enemy to do something, especially one with PC levels, the PCs may want to do it too.

Be prepared for that.

Also, the limit to the grappled person's speed should be changed to the length of rope/whip. There shouldn't be any reason anyone couldn't get closer to you when you have them grappled with the rope. It isn't like they are in a net.

*Edit: So that the math isn't changed and a grapple focused or athletic/acrobatic focused PC isn't suddenly told "oh I'm using the tactics you prepared for but I'm negating everything you was told about the condition and I'm changing the rules in which it applies...

That could suuuuck.

I appreciate the reply. That sounds about like it would work, and like I mentioned to take care of them moving I was going to find a way for the grappler to knock them prone. Also if a PC decides they want to try it I wouldnt have anything against it. This was originally a pc character that quit so I was taking advantage and making him a villan. Then the idea seemed too good to drop.

Giant2005
2014-11-11, 11:19 PM
I appreciate the reply. That sounds about like it would work, and like I mentioned to take care of them moving I was going to find a way for the grappler to knock them prone. Also if a PC decides they want to try it I wouldnt have anything against it. This was originally a pc character that quit so I was taking advantage and making him a villan. Then the idea seemed too good to drop.

Even if you insist on using a rope, you could still use the rules for the Hunting Trap for it. Aside from the taking damage part when trying to release yourself, they are pretty god for ropes too.

JRoth
2014-11-12, 12:28 AM
Even if you insist on using a rope, you could still use the rules for the Hunting Trap for it. Aside from the taking damage part when trying to release yourself, they are pretty god for ropes too.

Im just getting to my book to check, could add a hunting trap to the end of the rope...That could just add to the makeshift weapon part..
Attack with a rope having a hunting trap attached, if the attack hits then they have to avoid the hunting trap, then weather it hits or not use bonus action to make a grapple attempt. Lock a character down and make someone have to come assist them.

Balyano
2014-11-12, 06:16 AM
I'm sad, I saw the title and thought that I had overlooked rules for using a lasso. Now though all I can think of is dumping a box of bear traps on an enemy.

JRoth
2014-11-12, 05:04 PM
I'm sad, I saw the title and thought that I had overlooked rules for using a lasso. Now though all I can think of is dumping a box of bear traps on an enemy.

LOL, open a door and instead of a bucket of water falling on you a box o' BearTraps drops.