PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite FF summon?

Tengu
2007-03-22, 06:11 PM
The name says it all. Feel free to replace the name "summon" with "esper", "shadow beast", "guardian force", "eidolon" or whatever strikes your fancy.

For me, it's Alexander. I still remember the shock after summoning him for the first time, in FF6 - with such a name, I expected an angel or a mounted warrior (a bit like Odin), but certainly not a monolithic robot, so huge it barely fits on the screen, destroying the enemies with beams of what seems to be holy energy (well, not really destroying later, as usually Bahamut and a couple of others are stronger). Really awesome.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-22, 07:37 PM
It has been and always will be Bahamut (I particularly liked him in FFX), though Odin is a close second.

blackout
2007-03-22, 07:40 PM
Shiva, FTW! Odin was always cool. And for FF6: Carbuncle! MASS REFLECT!

Timberwolf
2007-03-22, 07:42 PM
Bahamut Zero, the orbital battle dragon and Shiva from FF7 will always have a place in my heart.

But for sheer lunacy alone, the Choco Mog takes it.

turtleant120
2007-03-22, 07:48 PM
Eden from FF8. That was a mighty big boom. Bahamut Zero is a very close second.

Assassinfox
2007-03-22, 07:49 PM
The name says it all. Feel free to replace the name "summon" with "esper", "shadow beast", "guardian force", "eidolon" or whatever strikes your fancy.

For me, it's Alexander. I still remember the shock after summoning him for the first time, in FF6 - with such a name, I expected an angel or a mounted warrior (a bit like Odin), but certainly not a monolithic robot, so huge it barely fits on the screen, destroying the enemies with beams of what seems to be holy energy (well, not really destroying later, as usually Bahamut and a couple of others are stronger). Really awesome.

I second that. Alexander is just stone cold sexy. Even if he DOES die in two games. :smallannoyed:

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-22, 07:51 PM
Shiva, FTW!

Ah yes, how could I forget to give her a mention? Put Shiva on my #3 slot real close to Odin, who's real close to Bahamut...too much competition. :P

averagejoe
2007-03-22, 08:13 PM
Brothers from FF8. It was just always funny to me how they do that rock paper scissors thing. Yeah.

Amotis
2007-03-22, 08:26 PM
Knight's of the Round!

Khantalas
2007-03-22, 08:39 PM
That guy that looks like a robed figure and is probably named Hades.

Basically because the summon just took too much time for little, and I never played any FF game other then FF VII demo (in which you had only Shiva and Hades).

Wojiz
2007-03-22, 08:40 PM
Probably Odin. The spear launching into the sky as the clouds part always rock. It does pretty good damage midgame, too, and is probably the best you have as it's non elemental till Neo Bahamut, Phoenix and maybe Bahamut.

Assassinfox
2007-03-22, 09:06 PM
That guy that looks like a robed figure and is probably named Hades.

Basically because the summon just took too much time for little, and I never played any FF game other then FF VII demo (in which you had only Shiva and Hades).

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Same here! Hades was such an awesome summon in that demo. It's a shame they have to nerf you after every fight.

Daze
2007-03-22, 09:41 PM
Well it's kind of hard to go wrong with Bahamut. Any version really... The first I saw of him was FF2 (way back when), a baaaaad blue dragon with a megaflare that wiped out practically anything. Heck, just to get the summon you had to beat him with a ten "second" (turn) timer that ran down... when it did, you were toast. Had to use your dark knight to jump at the right time so he could come back down unharmed and revive everyone. Now thats a tough baddie....

Also liked Anima from FFX... a tortured mummy-fish? I thought that was cool... the pain ability had a dope animation....

regards

(no sig yet, dernit)

Saurous
2007-03-23, 08:00 AM
In terms of "I just think they're cool", my favorite summon would have to be Ifrit. I don't know why, it may be because I'm a pyromaniac at heart. Besides, it's kind of hard to go wrong with a powerful demon that can light your enemies on fire. Bahamut is my second favorite. He's a freaking dragon god. Do you need much more?

Shikton
2007-03-23, 08:18 AM
Knights of the Round from FF7 ftw. 'Nuff said. Gotta give Bahamut (any and all Bahamut summon) some credit too.

neriana
2007-03-23, 08:52 AM
Shiva. She's usually usable for a majority of the game, and she's just cool. I'm rather fond of Asura from FF4 as well.

The FFXII summons are theoretically cool, but they tend to lack personality -- maybe because so many tend to lack faces. I hope they go back to the old-fashioned summons for the next one, even if they're used in a different way.

Pokemaster
2007-03-23, 08:54 AM
You can't go wrong with Odin. Sure, he doesn't have the same amount of guaranteed pain as Bahamut, but when he does his thing, awesomness always ensues.

Ink
2007-03-23, 10:17 AM
I rather liked Diablos from FFVIII. His summoning sequence was interesting. Odin is also pretty cool-looking, and Shiva and Ifrit are always nice. Oddly, I can't seem to remember at all what Knights of the Round look like.

Shikton
2007-03-23, 10:31 AM
It looks like this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QZOb7is19Lg

Mine did 3x9999 damage on all the hits though...

Zeta Kai
2007-03-23, 10:58 AM
Anima is/was/always-shall-be the best. She cried blood while slaughtering dozens of fiends. No contest, the Mistress of Pain is pure horror to behold. She kinda reminds be of a certain Planescape goddess, known for her awesomeness...

And the fact that she was once Seymore's mother, who sacrificed her own life to become her son's aeon & give him the power to defeat his enemies, is a wild hook.

Alex Kidd
2007-03-23, 11:17 AM
Bahamut or Odin.

Yojimbo gets a mention just for his

"They dare not even whisper my name" line.

Amotis
2007-03-23, 02:35 PM
It looks like this:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=QZOb7is19Lg

Mine did 3x9999 damage on all the hits though...

Throw in a few mimics and you're good to go.

BrokenButterfly
2007-03-23, 03:07 PM
I've had a soft spot for Yojimbo, even if he is cheesy. Bahamut was stunning in FFX (and his variants in 7).

I'm a fan of Odin too, I like his trademark attack, but I also think the Gulgar Lance (is that it's name?) in 7 looked impressive.

Not that far through XII yet. I have the first esper, but it irritates that they have used the originals in name only, and used crappy wannabes in their place. Unless they are in the game somewhere...

Timberwolf
2007-03-23, 03:19 PM
I always wondered about the wheel on Bahamuts back in FFX

potatocubed
2007-03-23, 03:27 PM
In no particular order: Yojimbo, Shiva (especially awesome in FFX), and Diablos, who really needs to make some sort of comeback.

I also have a soft spot for the Three Sisters, one of the 'hidden' summons in FFX, since they first appear in FFIV as enemies and I managed to encounter them at almost the same time since I was alternating between the games at the time. It was a nice bit of synchronicity. :smallsmile:

I wasn't very fond of FFX Bahamut... I think it's because one of my friends noticed the way he folds his arms and dances about and dubbed him 'The Hip-Hop Dragon'. It makes it difficult for me to take him seriously any more. :smalltongue:

NEO|Phyte
2007-03-23, 03:35 PM
Throw in a few mimics and you're good to go.

I suppose so.

I prefer Master Summon + MP Absorb, Master Summon + HP Absorb, Knights of the Round + MP Turbo, Phoenix + Final Attack personally. Hell, throw in the HP/MP, and unless something can hit you for 4 digit levels of MP damage, you cannot lose the fight.

zeratul
2007-03-23, 03:38 PM
My favorites are (in order)
Knights of the round FF7
Bahamute neo FF7
Bahamute FF7
Ixion FF10
Shiva (all versions I think)
Anima FF10

Teh_Jakester
2007-03-23, 03:48 PM
I only played X, so...
Anima, Bahamut, and Yojimbo. Yet, the one I end up summoning the most is Ifrit.

JadedDM
2007-03-23, 03:50 PM
Anyone remember Imp? Or Mist Dragon? Classics. Too bad they don't use them anymore.

I always liked Chocobo, too.

I am soooo old.

Assassinfox
2007-03-23, 03:55 PM
Anyone remember Imp? Or Mist Dragon? Classics. Too bad they don't use them anymore.

I always liked Chocobo, too.

I am soooo old.

Hurray for Mist Dragon! Now THAT was an awesome summon.

Chocobo, on the other hand, was always useless. :smallannoyed:

Nerd-o-rama
2007-03-23, 03:58 PM
Defininitely Shiva. Rrrrrow.

Or, in a less disturbing and more awesome sense, Bahamut ZERO from FFVII. Ragnarok from FFVI also gets a nod.

"I dub thee...Dried Meat!"

Alex Kidd
2007-03-23, 11:22 PM
I always wondered about the wheel on Bahamuts back in FFX

I think they're meant to be like the halos or sunbursts you see in old paintings of angels.

He is a Dragon God after all.

Fus.Weapon 1337
2007-03-23, 11:50 PM
Golem! Diabolos! Shoat! Cockatrice! Bahamut! Tritoch! Ifrit! Shiva! Chocobo! Unicorn! Mist Dragon! Bismark! Chaos! Maduin! Zodiark! Odin! Sraphim! Mage! Crusader! Leviathan! Raiden! Knights of the Round! Stray! Ultima! Kirin! Zoneseek! Hydra! Tonberry! Carbunkl! Fenrir! Sylph! Ramuh! Bomb! Palidor! Anima! Alexandr! Siren! Titan! Ragnarok! Cactaur! Starlet! Phantom! Pheonix! Terrato! Asura! Remora!

Too many summons! Gah!

Krade
2007-03-24, 02:13 AM
Hm... that's a tough one. By what criteria should one judge to pick his favorite FF summon...

I'd say Knight of the Round, but I found a better, faster way to do damage that doesn't cost MP. Just have Cloud use Omnislash, do nothing with the other two, and have Cloud mime when it's his turn again. So KotR is out.

Eden was fun, but took too long. Again, in the time it took to summon, you could easily do more damage that it ever could.

Ah, who am I kidding, I find them all to be quite worthless. So I'm just going to pick the one that was the most annoying to acquire: Tonberry from VIII. *waddlewaddlewaddlewaddleDOINK!* Damn straight!

jlousivy
2007-03-24, 02:30 AM
Diablos from FFVIII.

Aidan305
2007-03-24, 06:11 PM
Bahamut, followed closely by Alexander (Such a cool FMV in FFIX)

Jimp
2007-03-25, 07:56 AM
Anima, most definitely. Especially after the cut scene at the start of FFX where Anima is summoned when monsters attack the arena. That was so cool.

tj_hammi
2007-03-25, 08:01 AM
does anyone even know the awesome that was doomtrain from VIII? what an awesome GF that sorted out all of your weakening spells with one summon. and tonberry was rather funny as well with his "DOINK" attack. not usefull really but funny nonetheless.

but the all time ultimate aeon has to be Bahamut from FF X. his ultimate attack was just breathtaking to say the least.

Fishies
2007-03-25, 11:06 AM
The Bangaa totema in Tactics Advance, whatever it's called.

Damn, it's a sexy totema.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-25, 11:41 AM
but the all time ultimate aeon has to be Bahamut from FF X. his ultimate attack was just breathtaking to say the least.

Amen to that. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ7lX7OsMFo) <-- For those who haven't seen it.

Glaivemaster
2007-03-25, 01:11 PM
This has got to go to Odin, in any of his forms that just outright kills enemies (FF3 and 8 from the ones I remember)

Bahamut comes second (he is a Dragon God), and Ifrit 3rd

turtleant120
2007-03-25, 01:16 PM
The Bangaa totema in Tactics Advance, whatever it's called.

Damn, it's a sexy totema.
He's called Andramalech. He's also in XII in full 3-D glory.:smallbiggrin:

Assassinfox
2007-03-25, 06:50 PM
He's called Andramalech. He's also in XII in full 3-D glory.:smallbiggrin:

And in FFT in his full goat-like strangeness.

Drunk Dwarf
2007-03-27, 05:18 AM
Eden in FFVIII because I could go for a coffee break everytime I set it off...

Abacab
2007-03-27, 07:53 AM
Using Eden for the first time was so weird. It showed a pleasant screen of flowers or butterflies to censor the eating (but couldn't you hear nasty sounds, too...?), and I couldn't help but laugh.

I'm going to have to say my favorite summon is Knights of the Round Table from FFVII. The attack is just awesome, and, I am sorry to admit, I wouldn't have beaten the game without it.

Tengu
2007-03-27, 09:18 AM
Using Eden for the first time was so weird. It showed a pleasant screen of flowers or butterflies to censor the eating (but couldn't you hear nasty sounds, too...?), and I couldn't help but laugh.

Are you sure you're talking about Eden? It sounds like the Absorb (or what was the name) command to me.

Woot Spitum
2007-03-27, 10:30 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned The Ark from FFIX. An airship transformer that appears to destroy the planet twice during the course of the summon is the very definition of overkill. The FFIX version of Fenrir was pretty funny. I like the old versions of Odin, when he simply chopped all your enemies to pieces. Ramuh is still > Shiva and Ifrit. Raiden from FFVI is cool.

Assassinfox
2007-03-27, 11:43 AM
I can't believe no one has mentioned The Ark from FFIX. An airship transformer that appears to destroy the planet twice during the course of the summon is the very definition of overkill.

Took a couple hours for him to do it, though. :smallannoyed:

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-27, 11:49 AM
I'm going to have to say my favorite summon is Knights of the Round Table from FFVII. The attack is just awesome, and, I am sorry to admit, I wouldn't have beaten the game without it.

Sometimes I wonder if I was the only person who was capable of beating the game without Knights of the Round...

Abacab
2007-03-27, 11:54 AM
Are you sure you're talking about Eden? It sounds like the Absorb (or what was the name) command to me.

I'm talking about that "devour" command, the one when the character eats the monster and says something like, "It tasted okay." or,"That was gross", etc.

JadedDM
2007-03-27, 12:02 PM
Sometimes I wonder if I was the only person who was capable of beating the game without Knights of the Round...

Nope. The first time I beat it, I didn't use KotR. I wasn't even aware of it! It's not needed. Sephiroth is among the easiest villains I have ever faced in the series.

Truthfully, I don't care for KotR at all. Powerful, yes. But terribly boring to watch and way too long.

Ink
2007-03-27, 12:03 PM
^^ Yeah, Devour was the command ability that came with the GF, not the GF itself. It seemed to rarely ever work for me though.

I hardly used it as well. That's why I had trouble remembering what it looked like at first.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-27, 12:03 PM
Nope. The first time I beat it, I didn't use KotR. I wasn't even aware of it! It's not needed. Sephiroth is among the easiest villains I have ever faced in the series.

Truthfully, I don't care for KotR at all. Powerful, yes. But terribly boring to watch and way too long.

I don't care for it either. Well, I was the only person I know to beat Seph without any kind of summons or any magic other than healing and a couple buffs. But then, I equipped Cloud with such godlike Materia that he made everyone cry. He was doing around 5,000 damage a hit with...I forget the name of the materia (too long since I've played), multi-attack or something that made him attack 3 or 4 times. Then the one that let him attack air, then the one that counter-attacked when he took damage. Then I beefed up his armour and made him a one-man killing machine. Took down emo-wannabe Seph in one go.

JadedDM
2007-03-27, 01:56 PM
I didn't even do that much the first time. I didn't know any good materia combos at the time and NOBODY had any of their final limit breaks or ultimate weapons. I just used my standard FF strategy of defeating a final boss:

Step One: Level my characters only as high as absolutely necessary to survive, as leveling is really boring to me (I believe Cloud was Lvl 40 and the others were all in their late 30s the first time I won).

Step Two: Never, ever, ever use a mega-elixer, mega-ether, or elixer throughout the game, so that by the time you reach the final boss, you have plenty of them.

Step Three: Whittle down the boss' HP, using the elixers if you take any serious damage.

Works every time. But FF7 was particularly easy for me, as Sephiroth really didn't have that many powerful attacks. Compared to Kefka, who could drop the entire party down to 1 HP with a single attack, Sepiroth was a pansy. Even that Meteor summon of his seemed incapable of actually killing a character.

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-27, 02:07 PM
FF7 was weak. I found that Kefka and...whatshisface, the final boss of FF4...yeah, they were the hardest foes I had to face. It was great how his meteor could do so much collateral damage but couldn't take down a party of motley adventurers.

Back on topic - Which version of Bahamut do those Bahamut fans out there prefer? I don't know why, but I really liked the FFX one. There was something about the bipedal Dragon King that was just too pro.

JadedDM
2007-03-27, 02:11 PM
Hmm...I can't even remember some of them nowadays. I guess if I had to pick a favorite, it'd be Bahamut ZERO, as cliche as that may sound. Although Bahamut SIN in Advent Children looked pretty cool.

Woot Spitum
2007-03-27, 02:45 PM
Took a couple hours for him to do it, though. :smallannoyed:

As long as your enemies just stand there and do nothing while he's doing it, it counts. If they can't get out of the way in time, it's their own fault.

zeratul
2007-03-27, 02:51 PM
Defininitely Shiva. Rrrrrow.

yeah shiva is a fox :smallwink:

Assassinfox
2007-03-27, 02:52 PM
As long as your enemies just stand there and do nothing while he's doing it, it counts. If they can't get out of the way in time, it's their own fault.

On the plus side, you can cast Regen on your party and every time you summon Ark is a free heal. :smallbiggrin:

Saithis Bladewing
2007-03-27, 02:52 PM
yeah shiva is a fox :smallwink:

I thought Shiva was just a very attractive ice goddess? Since when did vulpine nature come into this? o.O;

Calamity
2007-03-27, 02:54 PM
I like the fact that Leviathan's Tsunami in FF8 swept the enemy away if the attack brought them down to 0hp. The fact the attack took so long made it a lot easier to Boost too.

Diablos deserves a mention too, don't have to be too high level to get him either. Very useful against stronger enemies (except the ones who you couldn't read the hp totals for with Scan, as he somehow manages to miss them).

For example, Diablos is useless against the Jumbo Cactuar but Leviathan takes 9999 damage off of the big green animated cactus anyway.

Enlong
2007-03-27, 08:16 PM
Bahamut in any game is good.

Odin from FFV, because the man is so important that he will only spare you 1:00 minute before insta-game overing you. The man is BUSY! (tee hee)

Also in FFV, Phoenix and Syldra are my favorites, for reason of sheer storyline sadness. (poor Faris!)

FFVI, Raiden beats Odin, hands down. Shin-Zantetsuken is highly awesome, AND he gives you the highly abusable Quick!

Crusader is cool for the fact that he's though to get, and the idea of an Esper so powerful it hurts friend and foe is pretty cool (though, I HAVE killed my whole party by using a Magicite shard and getting Crusader...)

Maduin is cool, for storyline purposes, and Tritotch, because he sparks half of the game's conflicts by just EXISTING!

Finally, my favorite of the new Espers in FFVI... Gilgamesh. FFV reference! Yay!

the_tick_rules
2007-03-27, 11:17 PM
knights of the round.

Single Shot Zombie
2007-03-28, 11:48 AM
Tonberry (FF8). I really loved watching the hapless victim of his Chef's Knife sweatdrop before getting "doink!"ed. Some cheap thrills there. :smallwink:

And he actually apologizes to you before you get him. Funny stuff.

SITB
2007-03-28, 12:28 PM
Bahamut in FF IV 'cause in there he really is a dragon god-king of summons.

TimeWizard
2007-03-28, 10:36 PM
My name is Alexander, and I am a religious person. 'Nuff said.

NEO|Phyte
2007-03-28, 11:14 PM
Odin from FFV, because the man is so important that he will only spare you 1:00 minute before insta-game overing you. The man is BUSY! (tee hee)
Eh? I could have sworn it was only 0:30 he gave you. Either way, yeah, you'd best be ready to make with the killing.

Samurai General
2007-03-29, 09:44 PM
The gaint water serpent from FF9.:smallcool:

http://www.ugoplayer.com/music/chocoborobovoice.html. for FF lovers.

the_tick_rules
2007-03-29, 11:17 PM
leviathan you mean.

Setra
2007-03-30, 11:51 AM
Bahamut.

'nuff said.

I <3 Dragons... even the male ones.... which is more than a little creepy.

Calamity
2007-04-07, 06:43 AM
Any one remember Eden's bizarre but cool summon in FF8? If you can figure out what's going on please tell me! It's cool though. Does a lot of damage too.

Ranis
2007-04-07, 07:34 AM
Atmos in FFIX.

1337_master
2007-04-07, 10:59 AM
Easily A tie between Bahamut/Bahamut Zero & Odin, God Kings RULE!